C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Part# for cooling upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Speed racer69
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Part# for cooling upgrade

I was wondering if you have a part# I can use so that I can order the cooling systems upgrade for my 2016 Z06/Z07/C7R A8. I only race it and it over heats quick, and at the drag strip even worse. I only have a few months here in the states before I have to go to hell. So my dealership want to help me get the new cooling system installed. But they do not have a part#. I need to race soon but will not with the way the car sits now. Only thing I look forward to doing when I get back from hell.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

No such part exists (try GSpeed though), though there are some 2017 retrofits that can be made, to minor effect. But if your car is overheating at the drag strip, something is actually broken.

You can run hot laps at the drags all day in a Z and never overheat. Maybe your intercooler pump quit or something like that... but take it to dealer, explain the overheating, and make sure they understand it's NOT at the track.

When they hear "track" they're going to think roadcourse, so say "dragstrip" if you have to mention it at all.

Good news is if your car is really overheating at the drag strip, it can probably be fixed and you'll be 100% happy with it.

Last edited by davepl; 04-27-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:20 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

with Dave. If it's an A8 there's no GM "cooling upgrade" that can done that I know of.

With the 2015-2016 M7 there's a "secondary (or auxiliary) radiator" that can be installed that helps with engine coolant and oil temperatures. The 2017 M7 cars have that secondary radiator as standard equipment from the factory.

However, the A8 has a transmission cooler in the spot that the secondary radiator is installed for the M7.

If you're having problems at the drag strip it could very well be CAC (Charge Air Coolant, or supercharger intercooler) problems. If the intercooler pump gets air into it and cavitates, it shuts down for 3 minutes and gives you a bad limp mode reduction of power - and you don't get any lights to tell you!!

Take a look at the intercooler reservoir - it's in the very right front of the engine compartment, just behind the hinge for the hood. Get a flashlight and look down in there. If you see more air in the reservoir than in the picture below you may be having pump cavitation problems.

If you do need to get air out of the CAC system, the best thing is to take it to the dealership and get them to do a vacuum fill of the intercooler coolant in order to reduce the amount of air in the system.

Good luck!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-27-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Speed racer69
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling system upgrades

Thank you mine has a bigger air bubble than the picture.
Originally Posted by BEZ06
with Dave. If it's an A8 there's no GM "cooling upgrade" that can done that I know of.

With the 2015-2016 M7 there's a "secondary (or auxiliary) radiator" that can be installed that helps with engine coolant and oil temperatures. The 2017 M7 cars have that secondary radiator as standard equipment from the factory.

However, the A8 has a transmission cooler in the spot that the secondary radiator is installed for the M7.

If you're having problems at the drag strip it could very well be CAC (Charge Air Coolant, or supercharger intercooler) problems. If the intercooler pump gets air into it and cavitates, it shuts down for 3 minutes and gives you a bad limp mode reduction of power - and you don't get any lights to tell you!!

Take a look at the intercooler reservoir - it's in the very right front of the engine compartment, just behind the hinge for the hood. Get a flashlight and look down in there. If you see more air in the reservoir than in the picture below you may be having pump cavitation problems.

If you do need to get air out of the CAC system, the best thing is to take it to the dealership and get them to do a vacuum fill of the intercooler coolant in order to reduce the amount of air in the system.

Good luck!!

Get notified of new replies

To Part# for cooling upgrade

Quick Reply: Part# for cooling upgrade