C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Mobil 1 on sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:41 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Mobil 1 on sale

Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of buy Mobil1 in the near future. Stopped at Walmart to buy some oil for the corvette and they were changing the price to $22.88. Also with the $12 rebate per 5qt container from Mobil it nets out to $10.88. There is a link at the bottom for the rebate.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...nd-mobil-super
The following 3 users liked this post by gve:
george vee (05-02-2017), JC 2004 (05-02-2017), Takoyaki (05-02-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 04:25 PM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

That's a good deal, but the gold top (extended performance) is a much better oil...it actually has some true PAO'S in it...the silver top is not really a synthetic oil...only in the USA can they call it synthetic...I know I've opened a can of worms here, but I am correct...
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by L Duncan
That's a good deal, but the gold top (extended performance) is a much better oil...it actually has some true PAO'S in it...the silver top is not really a synthetic oil...only in the USA can they call it synthetic...I know I've opened a can of worms here, but I am correct...
However, the one shown in the picture is Dexos Approved and as far as the other stuff it doesn't really matter.

Bill
Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Yeah. That's what i use now. In all my cars.

25 bucks at walmart. Can't beat it.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 AM
L Duncan
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
However, the one shown in the picture is Dexos Approved and as far as the other stuff it doesn't really matter.

Bill
You are correct, the silver top is fine, but my point is it's not synthetic and there are far better oils out there...
Old 05-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't see Wal-mart on the list of places that count for the rebate.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Amazon is $25 delivered, but I think Walmart and Amazon might be exempt from that rebate. I know for sure Amazon is, check on Walmart before deciding!

I know it's $2 more than Walmart, but it's delivered to your doorstep without having to go to Walmart:

https://smile.amazon.com/Mobil-12076...ywords=mobil+1

Last edited by davepl; 05-01-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Thats why they sell it so cheap; to fool the masses. The big giant still makes a profit to.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:09 PM
bbdmac
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If this is the same rebate that Mobil 1 has offered in the past, they also honor Walmart purchases even though Walmart isn't listed on their web site. I've done it twice.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:27 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Why do you say its not a real synthetic?
I keep hearing folks say Mobil 1 isn't a full synthetic.

Someone please explain because Mobil/Exxon seems to have a different opinion.

http://www.mobil.com/english-US/Pass...XXMobil-1-5W30
Old 05-01-2017, 03:40 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

You are correct, the silver top is fine, but my point is it's not synthetic and there are far better oils out there...
The 5w-30 "full synthetic" that you say isn't a synthetic is approved by Mercedes, GM, BMW, Chrysler, Volkswagen and Porsche. Many use it as a factory fill for their high performance cars. If its not a full synthetic perhaps someone should tell all of these folks?

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf
Z0HS1CK (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:08 PM
L Duncan
Racer

Originally Posted by dar02081961
The 5w-30 "full synthetic" that you say isn't a synthetic is approved by Mercedes, GM, BMW, Chrysler, Volkswagen and Porsche. Many use it as a factory fill for their high performance cars. If its not a full synthetic perhaps someone should tell all of these folks?

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf
I will try to keep this brief...in the early 90's Castrol, started hydrocracking patrolium oil and noticed it really helped the performance characteristics...In fact they thought it helped it so much that they started calling it synthetic...Mobile 1, did an analysis of the oil and discovered it was not synthetic, but 100 percent patrolium oil...Well Mobile 1 sued Castrol and lost...the judge stated that because it had many(not all)of the same characteristics as true synthetic oil, it was ok to call it synthetic...The profit margin was huge on this ability to charge big money for an oil you can now call synthetic...All the manufactures started doing the same thing including Mobil 1(lol)...In Europe and Asia they cannot do this as they are bound by law to only sell a synthetic when it actually is...(group 4 and 5 oils)...the silver top Mobil 1 is a high quality group 3...But in the good old USA group 3's can be called "synthetic".........Google any of this and you will see I am correct....it's a huge scam the oil manufactures are doing over here to boost profits.....
gymdoc (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum . . . !!!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:29 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

I will try to keep this brief...in the early 90's Castrol, started hydrocracking patrolium oil and noticed it really helped the performance characteristics...In fact they thought it helped it so much that they started calling it synthetic...Mobile 1, did an analysis of the oil and discovered it was not synthetic, but 100 percent patrolium oil...Well Mobile 1 sued Castrol and lost...the judge stated that because it had many(not all)of the same characteristics as true synthetic oil, it was ok to call it synthetic...The profit margin was huge on this ability to charge big money for an oil you can now call synthetic...All the manufactures started doing the same thing including Mobil 1(lol)...In Europe and Asia they cannot do this as they are bound by law to only sell a synthetic when it actually is...(group 4 and 5 oils)...the silver top Mobil 1 is a high quality group 3...But in the good old USA group 3's can be called "synthetic".........Google any of this and you will see I am correct....it's a huge scam the oil manufactures are doing over here to boost profits.....
So what will happen to the engine that uses mobil one with the silver top?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Takoyaki
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Amazon is $25 delivered, but I think Walmart and Amazon might be exempt from that rebate. I know for sure Amazon is, check on Walmart before deciding!

I know it's $2 more than Walmart, but it's delivered to your doorstep without having to go to Walmart:

https://smile.amazon.com/Mobil-12076...ywords=mobil+1
I checked the participating location with the zip code and Walmart is included. I'm not sure how many I can claim though. I use a lot of oil.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:24 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

It says two rebates per household, so if you have relation close or a work address you could have another rebate sent there.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:46 AM
L Duncan
Racer

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
The engine will be just fine using the silver top...All I'm stating is it's not a true synthetic...

I like Redline or Motul...(group 5 ester based full synthetic)

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 on sale

Old 05-02-2017, 07:39 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I wouldn't really call it a "scam", since these oils synthesized from a petroleum base can perform as well as those synthesized from non-petroleum ingredients.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 AM
L Duncan
Racer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I wouldn't really call it a "scam", since these oils synthesized from a petroleum base can perform as well as those synthesized from non-petroleum ingredients.
Not true...Synthetics perform much better than dino oils in extreme conditions(hot, cold, shearing, OCI'S, etc...All hydrocracking does is remove the parafin from the dino oils...additives today do make them a good oil, but are they as good as ester based Synthetics...nope...

Jet turbine engines only use one grade of oil that can withstand the extreme heat and shearing capabilities of there ultra high RPM's...(group 5 esters)...is using the high dollar superior oils in our vettes overkill? YES...Is driving a 650hp car overkill? Probably

Last edited by L Duncan; 05-02-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63

It comes from the Factory with that, so GM thinks it is just fine.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 on sale