C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

607 mile 2016 Z06 transmission failure

Old 04-30-2017, 04:48 PM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

Default 607 mile 2016 Z06 transmission failure

Traded my 14 C7 Stingray Z51 2LT in on a killer deal on a new 16 Z06 (2LZ) . Drove from Jacksonville FL to Miami (335 miles) and picked her up she had 100 miles on her (30 were mine on the initial test drive) then drove home. Kept the car under 3k the whole way home (which was hard as hell to do but did). By the time I pulled into my subdivision the 501 mile mark was hit (Go figure) and the breaking in ring was gone. Today took it for a few WOT runs. Afterwards pull off the highway come to a stop and car just free revs. as if it's in neutral, paddle shift nothing, turn car off and on nothing still revs like it's in neutral. Push to the side of the road call Onstar tow truck comes we start the car put in Drive gear engaged. Turned the car off and back on free revs again. At that point we load the car on the flatbed and it's towed to dealership. Has anyone else experienced this issue?? As of now I'm pissed but tolerating it (until a diagnosis and it's brand new). But my patience won't be held for too long.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:39 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

That sucks.Hope things work out.
The following users liked this post:
The Rock1 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:34 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

IIRC one of our Chicago members had his A8 fail early with basically the same symptoms.
The Rock1 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 PM
The Rock1
Racer

Do you happen to know the diagnosis??

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-30-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rock1
Traded my 14 C7 Stingray Z51 2LT in on a killer deal on a new 16 Z06 (2LZ) . Drove from Jacksonville FL to Miami (335 miles) and picked her up she had 100 miles on her (30 were mine on the initial test drive) then drove home. Kept the car under 3k the whole way home (which was hard as hell to do but did). By the time I pulled into my subdivision the 501 mile mark was hit (Go figure) and the breaking in ring was gone. Today took it for a few WOT runs. Afterwards pull off the highway come to a stop and car just free revs. as if it's in neutral, paddle shift nothing, turn car off and on nothing still revs like it's in neutral. Push to the side of the road call Onstar tow truck comes we start the car put in Drive gear engaged. Turned the car off and back on free revs again. At that point we load the car on the flatbed and it's towed to dealership. Has anyone else experienced this issue?? As of now I'm pissed but tolerating it (until a diagnosis and it's brand new). But my patience won't be held for too long.
left over 2016 with 100 miles sitting a lot out doors and those test drives adding up to 100 miles probably weren't the easiest. That life is hard on an automatic.

You got a smoking deal and a warranty. You will get it fixed or a new transmission. All will be good.
Cauhauna (05-07-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ealership.html

Above's the example he was referring to I believe.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:47 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,751 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Think someone had this happen recently was some solenoid or small failure in or on the trans itself. Hopefully yours is same. Sorry to hear that.

let us know. If I find the thread I'll send link
Old 05-01-2017, 12:55 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ealership.html

Above's the example he was referring to I believe.

Yes, that is the one. OP, you might PM that owner - he's a good guy and a good contributor to the community - he can give you some more flavor on his resolution.
The Rock1 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:06 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Yes, that is the one. OP, you might PM that owner - he's a good guy and a good contributor to the community - he can give you some more flavor on his resolution.

Thank you sir, looking at his symtoms mine were very similar only difference is that I didnt get any warning signs prior too except the one..Car died and wouldnt start, cooled then tried and it went for a minute then died again and so on.

So reading that looks like Im getting a new transmission and torque converter.

I guess it isnt all that bad.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
left over 2016 with 100 miles sitting a lot out doors and those test drives adding up to 100 miles probably weren't the easiest. That life is hard on an automatic.

You got a smoking deal and a warranty. You will get it fixed or a new transmission. All will be good.
30 of the 100 were mine for the test drive but I do see your mindset. Car was sitting for a while (supposedly on the showroom and the miles were put on by the owner of the dealership). And yes the deal was one I couldnt refuse (well I could of but then I would of been considered an idiot). Reading the reference post looks like I will have a new trans and converter...just a matter of how long it will take.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:56 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

They will get it fixed and hopefully it will be trouble free from now on. I have 10K on my car at a year of ownership. So far so good. I daily drive and run hard too so the trans can take it. Wondering if sitting caused the issue? Or as some said a rough first few miles. My car had 6 miles when I bought her and 4 of those were my test drive.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:04 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

These types of infant mortality generally occur from either a defect in component or assembly so I doubt if the initial driving style/events had anything to do with it. If the failure did result in contamination and/or breakdown of the fluid it is critical that the dealership thoroughly flushes the coolers and connecting lines to prevent subsequent damage to the replacement transmission.

Last edited by NSC5; 05-01-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:10 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,751 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Not a Z06 think it was an A8 stingray. His was no lights nor warnings iirc either. Was within past month or so.

I hate searching forums. Seems like easy but never is. Found it. I was wrong on multiple accounts but this what I was referring to. Some solenoid

Just another trans thread on newer gs failing if you care to see

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-2nd-gear.html

Please let us know how you make out. Good luck

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-01-2017 at 09:26 AM.
The Rock1 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Thank you sir, looking at his symtoms mine were very similar only difference is that I didnt get any warning signs prior too except the one..Car died and wouldnt start, cooled then tried and it went for a minute then died again and so on.

So reading that looks like Im getting a new transmission and torque converter.

I guess it isnt all that bad.
Yep, that thread about the complete failure on a Chicago Members 2016 Z with A8 trans. is certainly me and I just responded to your p.m.

Assuming you had a complete failure of your trans. and it toast GM will give you a new trans. as you car is well within its warranty period an assuming your car is not modified. Whatever your issue is OP torque converter, trans., GM will get you fixed up. Just make sure you take it to a dealership who deals with a lot of vettes and get their top vette trans. guy to do the work not some newbie.

Really sorry to hear about your story on your new to you super low mile Z06. BUT, chit does happen and that's what factory warranties are for. Best of luck to you!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:52 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Default A8 Z06 607 mile FAILED TRANSMISSION **Update 5/4/17**

When I initially had my car towed to the dealership on Sunday (4/30/17) I immediately went back Monday morning (5/1/17) to speak to the service manager and give him and the tech that would be working on my car a full synopsis of the events that happened as well as the measures I took in an attempt to get my vehicle to engage a gear.

The tech was able to replicate the exact same thing. He was able to start the car gear would engage then would disengage after a few feet and free rev. They let the car sit started it up no gear would engage only free rev, turn off back on gear would engage then after a few feet car would free rev and not engage any gear at all.

I spoke with the service manager and inquired about next steps and resolution at which point he said "They will remove the transmission, troubleshoot and see what "parts" need to be ordered to repair"..it was at this point I stopped him and said "I will not accept "parts to repair" unless they consist of a brand new factory fresh transmission and torque converter. A car with 607 miles should not have individual "parts" replaced on major component failures". He then expressed that he can only tell me what GM tells him and at that point, if you are not satisfied you may have to go to arbitration.

Needless to say I can already see that this guy DOES NOT have my best interest in mind, my level of frustration as well as shock at this point came out and I expressed (very bluntly I will say) that for him to even bring up the fact of having to go to arbitration or parts "repair" rather than component/s replacement for a new car is ludicrous and I will make like I never heard you even mention that. Once again I repeated "I will not accept the individual parts repairing of a major component on a brand new car. Anything less than a FACTORY NEW complete transmission torque converter and accompanying parts will not be acceptable".

He definitely saw my level of "enthusiasm" and responded with "Yes sir we will do whatever we need to make you happy" (personally I know he was just appeasing me with that answer but I wanted to ensure that he was very much on the same page as to what I deemed acceptable).

Fast forward to 5/4/17

I received word from the dealer last night at approx 630pm (EST) the technician had removed the transmission and has it dissected on the bench. What they discovered thus far was 2 of my clutch packs were toasted (or to use their exact words disintegrated) a pump/servo(?) seized and they were in direct contact with GM trying to figure out why a car with so little miles had this major issue.

So they (GM and dealership) are at this point essentially trying to figure out root cause and effect as well as next steps. I told them next steps should be; send me a brand new transmission and torque converter, update my software and change all my fluids (oil, diff, etc). They said "As soon as they have a diagnosis and resolution they will let me know", at which point I said, "Once again I'm going to tell you that anything less than that would be unacceptable".

The service manager said he understood but they still must go through the proper channels, which is understandable but at the same time, I see a little bit of a fight coming my way just via the tone of the conversation as well as the prior interaction we had on our first encounter.

Needless to say, my frustration with this service manager and dealership is at its peak. I would LOVE to swap service managers but "supposedly" this guy is the lead service manager and only does Corvettes (this dealership sells and services a high volume of corvettes) so swapping him is out of the question.

(Sidenote: In the meantime, they have had me in a new (4 miles on the odometer) 2017 Silverado (which I'm not happy about BUT it's better than getting a car from Enterprise).

Sorry for the long read....
Old 05-05-2017, 08:13 AM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

I understand your frustration. I don't know how good most GM dealerships would be at rebuilding transmissions to exacting tolerances.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Your dealership has to go through the process with GM; it is in place because without it there would not be sufficient control over dealer practices. Otherwise you would have some dealerships trying to completely repair transmissions which are more economical to replace and other dealerships replacing entire transmissions because of a leaking pan gasket.

With the description so far it sounds like your transmission had a significant internal failure (assembly or infant component mortality) that has led to a series of other failures; some of which have probably not yet been found. Given the type of failure and likelihood of additional damage I would be very surprised if they don't quickly approve a replacement transmission. It might be of some help for you to contact Chevrolet customer service which might have some influence on the decision.

Although this is easy advice to give when it isn't MY car under the knife it is your behavior that will determine how much the dealership wants to go to bat for you AND how careful they are that everything is done properly. The dealership service manager is in a tough position as the boundary spanner between GM corporate and the customer which is often an unpleasant role to play. Being human like the rest of us if you treat him as nicely as possible he is going to work harder to get what you want rather than just going through the standard bureaucratic motions.
BOBSZ06 (05-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 607 mile 2016 Z06 transmission failure

Old 05-05-2017, 08:34 AM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

When I initially had my car towed to the dealership on Sunday (4/30/17) I immediately went back Monday morning (5/1/17) to speak to the service manager and give him and the tech that would be working on my car a full synopsis of the events that happened as well as the measures I took in an attempt to get my vehicle to engage a gear.

The tech was able to replicate the exact same thing. He was able to start the car gear would engage then would disengage after a few feet and free rev. They let the car sit started it up no gear would engage only free rev, turn off back on gear would engage then after a few feet car would free rev and not engage any gear at all.

I spoke with the service manager and inquired about next steps and resolution at which point he said "They will remove the transmission, troubleshoot and see what "parts" need to be ordered to repair"..it was at this point I stopped him and said "I will not accept "parts to repair" unless they consist of a brand new factory fresh transmission and torque converter. A car with 607 miles should not have individual "parts" replaced on major component failures". He then expressed that he can only tell me what GM tells him and at that point, if you are not satisfied you may have to go to arbitration.

Needless to say I can already see that this guy DOES NOT have my best interest in mind, my level of frustration as well as shock at this point came out and I expressed (very bluntly I will say) that for him to even bring up the fact of having to go to arbitration or parts "repair" rather than component/s replacement for a new car is ludicrous and I will make like I never heard you even mention that. Once again I repeated "I will not accept the individual parts repairing of a major component on a brand new car. Anything less than a FACTORY NEW complete transmission torque converter and accompanying parts will not be acceptable".

He definitely saw my level of "enthusiasm" and responded with "Yes sir we will do whatever we need to make you happy" (personally I know he was just appeasing me with that answer but I wanted to ensure that he was very much on the same page as to what I deemed acceptable).

Fast forward to 5/4/17

I received word from the dealer last night at approx 630pm (EST) the technician had removed the transmission and has it dissected on the bench. What they discovered thus far was 2 of my clutch packs were toasted (or to use their exact words disintegrated) a pump/servo(?) seized and they were in direct contact with GM trying to figure out why a car with so little miles had this major issue.

So they (GM and dealership) are at this point essentially trying to figure out root cause and effect as well as next steps. I told them next steps should be; send me a brand new transmission and torque converter, update my software and change all my fluids (oil, diff, etc). They said "As soon as they have a diagnosis and resolution they will let me know", at which point I said, "Once again I'm going to tell you that anything less than that would be unacceptable".

The service manager said he understood but they still must go through the proper channels, which is understandable but at the same time, I see a little bit of a fight coming my way just via the tone of the conversation as well as the prior interaction we had on our first encounter.

Needless to say, my frustration with this service manager and dealership is at its peak. I would LOVE to swap service managers but "supposedly" this guy is the lead service manager and only does Corvettes (this dealership sells and services a high volume of corvettes) so swapping him is out of the question.

(Sidenote: In the meantime, they have had me in a new (4 miles on the odometer) 2017 Silverado (which I'm not happy about BUT it's better than getting a car from Enterprise).

Sorry for the long read....

Which dealer and SM? I haven't exactly had the best service experiences in Jax either...
Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
Which dealer and SM? I haven't exactly had the best service experiences in Jax either...
Coggin at the Avenues SM Randy Ciad(sp)

The only other option at the time was Nimnicht Chevrolet and that's all the way on the westside total opposite of where I live.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Originally Posted by NSC5
Your dealership has to go through the process with GM; it is in place because without it there would not be sufficient control over dealer practices. Otherwise you would have some dealerships trying to completely repair transmissions which are more economical to replace and other dealerships replacing entire transmissions because of a leaking pan gasket.

With the description so far it sounds like your transmission had a significant internal failure (assembly or infant component mortality) that has led to a series of other failures; some of which have probably not yet been found. Given the type of failure and likelihood of additional damage I would be very surprised if they don't quickly approve a replacement transmission. It might be of some help for you to contact Chevrolet customer service which might have some influence on the decision.

Although this is easy advice to give when it isn't MY car under the knife it is your behavior that will determine how much the dealership wants to go to bat for you AND how careful they are that everything is done properly. The dealership service manager is in a tough position as the boundary spanner between GM corporate and the customer which is often an unpleasant role to play. Being human like the rest of us if you treat him as nicely as possible he is going to work harder to get what you want rather than just going through the standard bureaucratic motions.
I do agree with you to an extent. In my current position, I work with people on a regular basis (healthcare field) and they range from C-suite execs Board of Dir to your receptionist. And yes I give the same respect that I would expect in return.

But I don't buy into the "extra nice" approach in this situation as I would in another. Not that I am not willing to work with the dealer BUT when a situation is as blatant as this comes forward; being "extra nice" shouldn't have to come into play.

I've done that role when I had a car modded and wanted some warranty work done as well as when I want a little extra service in return (ie hook a few contractors up with a few beers after work that did work on my home and they installed a few free things that I had purchased at no charge). Yes in those instances I know that the odds are basically not in my favor as I am asking for services above and beyond what would be the norm. So I kiss a butt and go the extra mile and a majority of the time it goes well. This situation I am not asking for anything "extra" I'm asking for what I should have received at the time of purchase and that is a new car with new components not a new car with repaired components.

My biggest concern is seeing this situation and the circumstances surrounding it, the dealership rep "should" have known from past experience/s that a major catastrophic failure such as this "should" receive/warrant new components (ie replacement), not a band-aid (ie repair).

If my car had several thousand miles (let's say 35k or more and was driven hard etc) then I can see the debate and the possibility of repair rather than replacing and even that would be determined by the situation but a much more acceptable response, than getting that same response on a new car with under 700 miles on it. This is where my issue and concern is. The initial response you receive from a person is usually a precursor to the experience you will receive. My initial impression from the dealer's initial response was that of "lets band-aid the situation" rather "you should get a new component and I will do what I can to try and make sure that happens for you".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 607 mile 2016 Z06 transmission failure