C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What voids warranty?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Jared355
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What voids warranty?

Good Afternoon guys.

I just purchased another zo6 and gave my 2016 to my wife and was wondering what can i get away with and what is a no go? I really wouldn't mind having some long tube headers but i don't think that's something that would be appreciated if something happened.

i appreciate it!

-Jared
Old 05-01-2017, 02:53 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared355
Good Afternoon guys.

I just purchased another zo6 and gave my 2016 to my wife and was wondering what can i get away with and what is a no go? I really wouldn't mind having some long tube headers but i don't think that's something that would be appreciated if something happened.

i appreciate it!

-Jared
Jared,

First off congrats. I'm not telling you anything that you don't know when I say a tune will kill the warranty.

Past that anything that can be linked to the failure will give GM a free ticket. For instance if you install long tubes and have an issue with lubrication you should be in good shape, if you have an issue with exhaust valves.....

Hopefully this was a little help, Chris
Old 05-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Most auto manufacturers can void a warranty for any reason they want to. Sure, you can contest it in court, but they have more money and more lawyers to devote to a court battle than you do.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-01-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Jared355
Advanced

Originally Posted by silver74vette
Jared,

First off congrats. I'm not telling you anything that you don't know when I say a tune will kill the warranty.

Past that anything that can be linked to the failure will give GM a free ticket. For instance if you install long tubes and have an issue with lubrication you should be in good shape, if you have an issue with exhaust valves.....

Hopefully this was a little help, Chris
i figured this was a pay to play lol anyone install catch cans on these motors?

and thank you!!!

Last edited by Jared355; 05-01-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:02 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Don't long tubes on these cars require a tune?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

tune voids warrenty,and a catch can.i have neither.have xpipe,ported tb and CAI.runs geat.

Last edited by lordofwar; 05-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Darkvet
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Most auto manufacturers can void a warranty for any reason they want to. Sure, you can contest it in court, but they have more money and more lawyers to devote to a court battle than you do.
Not true. The failure has to be directly related to the Mod or aftermarket part and they have to be able to prove it 100%.
goshendad (08-22-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:26 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,753 Likes on 3,174 Posts

the list is much shorter for what WON'T lol
Old 05-01-2017, 09:52 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

If the ASM tells the dealer to send in your PCM and you have a tune, you're cooked. Long tubes and CAI can cause a lean condition. If it throws a code and the cars goes to the dealer with said mods installed you're in a 50/50 area at best. Any associated failures though and again you're cooked.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkvet
Not true. The failure has to be directly related to the Mod or aftermarket part and they have to be able to prove it 100%.
Warranty claims are a process in which the dealer requests authorization to make repairs to your vehicle while being paid by the manufacturer to do so. In other words, you are the plaintiff chasing a very large company to pay a bill that they may refuse to pay. They have lawyers, deep financial pockets and quite a few engineers willing to "opine" that you caused the failure.

I think that you, plaintiff, are the one facing the larger obstacle to success - regardless of your belief that a 100% burden rests on the defendant.

In other words? I disagree with you.

Last edited by HighBeta; 05-01-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by HighBeta
Warranty claims are a process in which the dealer requests authorization to make repairs to your vehicle while being paid by the manufacturer to do so. In other words, you are the plaintiff chasing a very large company to pay a bill that they may refuse to pay. They have lawyers, deep financial pockets and quite a few engineers willing to "opine" that you caused the failure.

I think that you, plaintiff, are the one facing the larger obstacle to success - regardless of your belief that a 100% burden rests on the defendant.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:47 AM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

Jared,

As this was a huge question I had prior to purchasing my new Z06, I did a lot of research.
There is actually a federal law on this topic. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty (it may be sold "as is") but if it does have a warranty the warranty must comply with this law. The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner.
- Without going in great depth, they have to prove the part caused a direct failure. EXAMPLE: If you placed a new exhaust on your car then one day your window stopped working, then they have to fix your window under the bumper to bumper warranty because they are not correlated. On the other hand, if you change the ECU or place a cam in your vette and the engine blows up, then I think you know you are responsible. There will never be an all encompassing list but just remember, the add on modification part has to directly relate to the failure.
Just my 2 Cents as I am no expert. I have found the relationship with my dealer is more important than any warranty. I even had a tear in the rear carpet, my fault and a very angry day, and the dealer just wrote it up as some manufactured defect and it was replaced within the week. They can make life easy or difficult.
goshendad (08-22-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:23 AM
LS3 Machine
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I was hoping somebody would post about this, we hardly have any warranty void posts... haha!
Old 05-02-2017, 04:02 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by HighBeta

absofreakinlutely!!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:27 PM
upcharger
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Haha people are delusional about "VOIDING UR WARRANTY"
Make friends with the service department. Bring em beer when they change ur oil. Write them great reviews. Take the surveys and highlight your tech and service advisor. They will bend over backwards for you and your modded car.
HeyDanNiceShot (06-05-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 02:15 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

^^you are sadly mistaken if you believe this will be the case the majority of the time..
Old 05-02-2017, 02:18 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Any non-replacement part can result in warranty denial.

Get notified of new replies

To What voids warranty?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:13 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared355
Good Afternoon guys.

i appreciate it!

-Jared
If $s is not an issue for you, then go for the mods, and damn the warranty.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Jared355
Advanced

Originally Posted by capecodvette
If $s is not an issue for you, then go for the mods, and damn the warranty.

i guess my only worry is hearing of the few a8 transmission issues and having a problem tranny, then it not getting replaced. I suppose that's a excuse to just build your tranny up at that point...... I know once I pop the cherry I'm going to go all out so I'm trying to talk myself out of it.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:51 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,400 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
^^you are sadly mistaken if you believe this will be the case the majority of the time..
It also depends on what is being covered under warranty. I agree w/Upcharger in that good karma goes a long way, but if a claim involves anything significant, i.e., blown engine, then repair authorization is made further up the chain where those fostered relationships become less important.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What voids warranty?