C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Ticking sounds during turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:17 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Ticking sounds during turning

When I'm in a high G turn, i can hear a fast paced, rapid series of ticking sound, hard to describe. It's like a continuous, rapid fire tick-tick-tick......... Not loud at all, but noticeable, especially with windows down. I can hear it out of both driver and passenger side window. Any of you heard this in your car?
Thanks,

Last edited by 427Z0SX; 05-03-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:30 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

I get the same thing from what sounds like my LF wheel sometimes when turning in my local parking garage. It's not a high-G situation (and not super sharp/Ackerman), but I'm assuming I mainly hear it because it's quieter and the sound is bouncing back at me from the garage walls. At first I thought there was something stuck in my tire, like a nail or a rock. But I've checked the tires, and there's nothing.

My buddy with a 2015 Z06 has experienced the same thing and he thought it was coming from the RF wheel. We took the wheel off and were unable to find anything that could be making the sound.

Anyone have any insight?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 PM
stevestig
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Ticking

I had this problem on my 2015 Z06, and once i started hearing it that is all i could hear with the windows down while turning. There is a TSB on this which but i can't find the number right now.

Another forum thread about this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bs-rotors.html

I took mine into the dealer with the TSB printed out. That was about 9 months ago, they did the fix and i haven't heard it since.

It is really annoying...
The following users liked this post:
The_Gretz (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I heard several cars doing this at the last autoX I went to. I thought it might just be the lug nuts? As in they didn't retorque their wheels before taking to the course. I don't know if that is what it was or not. And it happened in many different kinds of cars. Not just Vette's.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:35 PM
V2lude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The left front of my car does this as well; only when I'm turning right though. Can be at low speed. I checked around the hub and brake, but it looks like the tire is scrubbing the fender liner while turning right.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM
IM3CPO
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I am willing to bet it's your brakes. If you want to see if this is indeed the case, do a low speed turn, make the clicking sound occur then brake enough so the brakes slightly engage. If the sound goes away when doing this than it is indeed your brakes..

... and now the rest of the story..... Its normal for the brakes to do this and there is no way to "fix" it (its a characteristic of the floating rotors). I have had a number of high performance cars with high performance brakes (Challenger Hellcat, SRT8 Jeep Cherokee's, Mustang GT350, AMG C63 Black Series, etc.) and every one of these cars brakes did the exact same thing.

Last edited by IM3CPO; 05-03-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:14 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by V2lude
The left front of my car does this as well; only when I'm turning right though. Can be at low speed. I checked around the hub and brake, but it looks like the tire is scrubbing the fender liner while turning right.
Exact same thing for me. Taking it in soon.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:39 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

To clarify, this rapid ticking sound only happens during high G turns, speed at least 30+ MPH, not slow 5 MPH turns in the parking lot. I think the sounds that are heard during slow turns are due to the wide tires, more like clunking sounds. The sound I'm referring to is akin to tapping your fingernails on your desk surface, at high speed.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:13 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Nope, it's not the tires skipping, aka, Ackerman effect. It's a fast paced clicking, almost sounds like creaking. I've noticed recently because I've been driving with the windows down.
Low speed, right turn only, forward or backward.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Have you tried removing the wheels, cleaning the hubs and wheels, and reinstalling the wheels and torquing them to spec? It's close to what the TSB recommends.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 PM
IM3CPO
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

OP- as i said earlier; its the floating rotors on your brakes. Induce the clicking and touch the brakes. It should go away. If it does, this is normal operation of your brakes. It's also possible both wheels do this, you just can't hear the other side. The clicking I am referring to is not the Ackerman effect from the wheels slipping when they are cold.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:32 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by IM3CPO
OP- as i said earlier; its the floating rotors on your brakes. Induce the clicking and touch the brakes. It should go away. If it does, this is normal operation of your brakes. It's also possible both wheels do this, you just can't hear the other side. The clicking I am referring to is not the Ackerman effect from the wheels slipping when they are cold.
Will try this tomorrow.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Blue02ws6
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

About a hundred threads on this, get used to your $100k car sounding like a POS from time to time.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:02 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by IM3CPO
Floating Caliper
Old 03-09-2020, 02:07 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Floating Caliper
Agreed. Here's the thread where some have fixed it permanently outside of the TSB work. I walked beside the car while wife was turning slowly in our cul-de-sac and I could hear it was the pad. Was more of a light 'ting' vs a stress relief sound.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-turning.html
Old 03-09-2020, 03:12 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOh6Nut
Agreed. Here's the thread where some have fixed it permanently outside of the TSB work. I walked beside the car while wife was turning slowly in our cul-de-sac and I could hear it was the pad. Was more of a light 'ting' vs a stress relief sound.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-turning.html
This thread is 2 1/2 yrs old but no problem since it’s a good idea to refresh since I imagine some are experiencing this still. One thing to point out is the pins that run thru the calipers holding the pads, the contact point of the pistons to the BACK of pads, & retaining clip contact area that the pins engage all have to be LIGHTLY greased to prevent noise when pistons slide compressing pads to the rotor. Some have said use various petroleum based greases (such as axle grease). This is WRONG! Only use silicone brake grease with a high melting point & a minimal amount. Petroleum products can cause rubber to deteriorate & swell causing worse problems. I hope it can go without saying, AVOID grease on rotors or pads!😳

Last edited by madrob2020; 03-09-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
This thread is 2 1/2 yrs old but no problem since it’s a good idea to refresh since I imagine some are experiencing this still. One thing to point out is the pins that run thru the calipers holding the pads, the contact point of the pistons to the BACK of pads, & retaining clip contact area that the pins engage all have to be LIGHTLY greased to prevent noise when pistons slide compressing pads to the rotor. Some have said use various petroleum based greases (such as axle grease). This is WRONG! Only use silicone brake grease with a high melting point & a minimal amount. Petroleum products can cause rubber to deteriorate & swell causing worse problems. I hope it can go without saying, AVOID grease on rotors or pads!😳

Dealer used silicone grease on my rotors last year. No noise since.

Get notified of new replies

To Ticking sounds during turning

Quick Reply: Ticking sounds during turning