C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealer joyriding my car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 PM
gscone
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dealer joyriding my car??

Looking for some advice. My rear tire gets a flat and dealer installs a new tire for me. While in service, I am notified my 2016 has a service campaign of the coolant so I inform them to proceed.

My vehicle has front and rear dash cams and when I have the car delivered to me, I notice the following:

1. 30 driven miles

2. Front and rear dash cams both disconnected

3. Brakes are squeaking.

I reached out to my service advisor and he states the miles are from driving the car to ensure no air in the coolant lines. He did say that the dash cams being disconnected are unacceptable and they will investigate. I requested a call from the service manager and still nothing.

What do you guys think of my situation?

Last edited by gscone; 05-04-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:27 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

I think it sounds like the dealer did a good job and I'm pretty surprised you're posting. I can't believe this post is up here -

Brakes are squeaking? Just seems loony.

Last edited by schaibaa; 05-04-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Brakes get squeaky in performance cars because they are not used properly. If they hammer the brakes a lot then they get quiet. Sounds like you've been pussyfooting around town. If they drove it hard then they did you a favor.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:40 PM
gscone
Advanced

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Brakes get squeaky in performance cars because they are not used properly. If they hammer the brakes a lot then they get quiet. Sounds like you've been pussyfooting around town. If they drove it hard then they did you a favor.

How do you explain disconnecting the dash cams and the additional miles?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Sounds like the techs may have had some fun. 30 miles seems excessive. But what can you do, except swallow it and move on. It's gonna be their word vs yours. They may say you didn't give them permission to record them or some othe bs answer, so they disconnected it. They'll probably look at the squeaky brakes and fix/adjust on their dime to keep you happy.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:46 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

^^^ OP edited the post. It said 16-17 miles to start with - which is just about the bare minimum.

I would disconnect dash cams too - kind of a douchey thing to have in the first place and I definitely don't want them on.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-04-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:48 PM
gscone
Advanced

Originally Posted by schaibaa
OP edited the post. It said 16-17 miles to start with - which is just about the bare minimum.

I would disconnect dash cams too - kind of a douchey thing to have in the first place and I definitely don't want them on.
So what if I edited MY post? Facts and pics dont lie.

Originally Posted by schaibaa
OP edited the post. It said 16-17 miles to start with - which is just about the bare minimum.

You edited both your irrelevant posts.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-04-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:50 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gscone
So what if I edited MY post? Facts and pics dont lie.
So what? Well you doubled the amount of mileage which might make a difference if you want to accuse someone of joyriding. 30 miles is on the higher end of what is normal, 16-17 is on the lower end. 30 is still well within the range. It takes a while for these cars to warm up - mine takes like 20 minutes at idle to warm up.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:52 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

You're right. This really is unacceptable and you have a right to be mad, but it's your word against theirs for testing. It doesn't take 30 miles to ensure there's no air in a cooling system. Did they fix the front and rear cams?

Last edited by lgodom; 05-04-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:01 PM
gscone
Advanced

^^^ It did not need fixing, just was disconnected.g

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-04-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:13 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

16 or 30 miles, I think your situation is crap outta luck. The best you'll get is to have them correct the squeaky brake issue on their dime.

find another dealer and move on.

I mean what do you want out of this? For them to say we fixed your problem, but we took a joyride and disconnected your cameras so you wouldn't see what we did. Here's a free oil change too.

Don't take this as being sarcastic, but it's reality.

If it drives the same otherwise, just keep driving. Anything they might have done in those 16/30 miles, probably won't show up while you own it, if at all.
The following users liked this post:
Joy c7 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

What is "additional?"

I know techs that will disconnect the dash cams just to screw with the paranoid customer. I am not saying they are in the right, but paranoia like dash cams running while your car is being serviced just shows insecurity and most techs will prey on that type of personality.

What I am saying is I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone did anything to your car, it's not like they violated your wife. Not everything can be done while sitting in the bay and I bet you were going to put at least 30 more miles on it eventually.

bottom line is, all anyone here can do is speculate. you will find no resolution, only either allow yourself to get worked up about it or just let it go. thats up to you, my friend.

edit, BTW, what's a mile worth on these cars? 60 cents? they cost you $18 dollars? I bet if you asked the service manager for a $20 dollar bill you would come out $2 dollars ahead. but really, stop being petty.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 05-04-2017 at 10:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (05-06-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 PM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

I would be pissed if they did this crap to my ride. They had no right disconnecting your cameras, period. 30 miles on my car during service will cost someone their job. I understand why you are upset. I dread taking my car in for service because some people just don't show respect for other peoples' property.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Normally when the joy ride they crash the car so count yourself lucky.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:32 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Was there Wednesday night drags that week?
The following 2 users liked this post by 383vett:
pdiddy972 (05-06-2017), phantasms (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The miles are easy. 15 miles out and 15 miles back in. A run up the road and back. It takes more than a few blocks unless you have a block like one of my past dealers where one circuit around the dealership on public roads took 7 miles. In some areas of the country that may only be a run up the interstate to the next exit and back. Squeaky brakes aren't an issue one way or the other. They only mean you aren't using the brakes properly. You need to apply the brakes harder by shortening stopping distances.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-05-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:28 AM
oshvette
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
bottom line is, all anyone here can do is speculate. you will find no resolution, only either allow yourself to get worked up about it or just let it go. thats up to you, my friend.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer joyriding my car??

Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Gotta be careful with cams that record audio and not advising whoever will be subject to the eavesdropping. It's considered an "illegal wiretap" here in nj.

just food for thought. Make a big deal about some audio being picked up can land you in trouble. Surreptitious Video of your property, as long as it is not in a restroom (even belonging to you) is fair game.

you need to read up on your state's consent laws. Some states are two party some are one party but I do not know of any that are "no party" (like considered a "room bug" without a court order).

that was further revealed when gm's lawyers realized what a mistake they made with valet mode. And why audio is no longer permitted. Only video.

op. Nothing to be done except learn to stay with the car and request to be part of the road test. You have that right. The mechanic won't be happy but whatever. I don't blame you unless you have a good relationship with the tech and trust him/her.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-05-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:54 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Let's take the 'worst case' scenario. They took a joy ride. Your car has no damage. There is nothing a street drive can do to a Z06 that even comes remotely close to what that car can do on a track. Thus your car has no hidden damage.

If you live somewhere that a 15-30 mile drive is unreasonable (downtown urban setting), then you also live near another dealer. You can go elsewhere. Otherwise like these guys said, it may just have been a 30 mile shot to get the car warm and make it around a freeway loop.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:48 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Looking for some advice. My rear tire gets a flat and dealer installs a new tire for me. While in service, I am notified my 2016 has a service campaign of the coolant so I inform them to proceed.

My vehicle has front and rear dash cams and when I have the car delivered to me, I notice the following:

1. 30 driven miles

2. Front and rear dash cams both disconnected

3. Brakes are squeaking.

I reached out to my service advisor and he states the miles are from driving the car to ensure no air in the coolant lines. He did say that the dash cams being disconnected are unacceptable and they will investigate. I requested a call from the service manager and still nothing.

What do you guys think of my situation?
We had a Chevy dealership in Warminster Pa and the service writer would take Corvette's to the Jersey shore on weekends joyriding, I know because the cars owner was with me fishing in south Jersey when we saw, followed and pulled over the car. Needless to say he was fired, but it seemed he did this for years.

Quick Reply: Dealer joyriding my car??