C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Anyone using the GSpeed dry break IC bleeder ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:28 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Anyone using the GSpeed dry break IC bleeder ?

https://gspeed.com/product/dry-break...ler-bleed-kit/

Did it eliminate the air at the top of the reservoir ?
Old 05-06-2017, 12:56 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I would like to know also. I just added an LG super cool front end to my z06 and in spite of vacuum fill cannot get all the air out. the tool looks like it would help.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:51 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Sadly, it doesnt. It certainly helps, but the design of that OEM tank has many chambers and baffles and its quite short of almost impossible to get the air out 100%.

We have found that if you drain the coolant, and pull a vacuum on the system, you can remove about half of that air pocket, but not all of it.

Our experience is that when you bleed the system, even with that remaining air pocket, the system will still function better than before the bleed.

There was a gentlement at COTA a few weeks ago with a yellow Manual trans 2015, and did have the throttle shut down. Naturally, with 4 C7Zs in our pit, he asked them if they had any issues.

Bleeding the system, it only took about 4oz of water, but it was enough that the car went from poor performance to full power.

Such finicky systems, we recommend bleeding and topping off the blower coolant before every track outing, and this is a great way to do it.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
The following users liked this post:
rsilver (05-07-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Sadly, it doesnt. It certainly helps, but the design of that OEM tank has many chambers and baffles and its quite short of almost impossible to get the air out 100%.

We have found that if you drain the coolant, and pull a vacuum on the system, you can remove about half of that air pocket, but not all of it.

Our experience is that when you bleed the system, even with that remaining air pocket, the system will still function better than before the bleed.

There was a gentlement at COTA a few weeks ago with a yellow Manual trans 2015, and did have the throttle shut down. Naturally, with 4 C7Zs in our pit, he asked them if they had any issues.

Bleeding the system, it only took about 4oz of water, but it was enough that the car went from poor performance to full power.

Such finicky systems, we recommend bleeding and topping off the blower coolant before every track outing, and this is a great way to do it.
100% Correct
Old 05-06-2017, 02:05 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

So after the system is properly vac and filled, your dry break bleeder can be used to maintain it . If a system is drained can your dry break bleeder be used instead of the vac system with the same results ?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:15 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Depends on the amount drained. If you drain around 30%, it will uncover the tank, and you are back at vac levels.

Keep in mind, it isnt necessary to vac fill, but it helps reduce the air pocket.

Keeping the system maintained is more important than a vac fill.

Vacfill is best, but it can be hard or not feasible for some. 2-3oz low is enough to make a difference in water condition.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:36 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

2-3oz delta means GM messed up. I have a Stewart EMP in another TT car and it just runs. Hard. This cavitation shut down bs is not good. I'll be buying your bleeder for the short term maintenance program. Long term a better pump without cavitation shut down is the correct answer.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:23 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Agreed. You understand the benefits of a proper pump, most dont. We have a new pump in the works, with no shut down. Fitting the stewart pump is difficult, this is a more compact design.
The following 3 users liked this post by GSpeed:
360Lemans (03-21-2018), Bad Dad (05-07-2017), onfire (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

That's great news. I'm getting 21GPM through my system with the EMP. It's bad ***. Have to properly size the hoses, fittings, etc. I would not reduce it down to ZO6 stock plumbing spec. Too much pressure head and amp draw. I bet the stock ZO6 is under 5GPM. Make your new pump pnp and I'm in. Even at 5GPM it would sell well without the auto shutdown. Varimax should flow about the same as the Buhler but it only has a thermal shutdown around 120C.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Side note, Callaway package removes the lower tank, re-plumbed with different pump (located on drivers side), and mounted a tank with cap just under the hood, drivers side.

I have not tracked the car enough to figure out if it shuts down like the OEM one does. As GSPEED helps me get the car track capable we will see, and share the info
The following 2 users liked this post by Operations:
Bad Dad (05-07-2017), onfire (05-06-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:21 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Depends on the amount drained. If you drain around 30%, it will uncover the tank, and you are back at vac levels.

Keep in mind, it isnt necessary to vac fill, but it helps reduce the air pocket.

Keeping the system maintained is more important than a vac fill.

Vacfill is best, but it can be hard or not feasible for some. 2-3oz low is enough to make a difference in water condition.
Do you think an larger aftermarket reservoir is helpful? ie better design and mounting location?? The pump you are working on makes sense, I think its only a matter of time before mine goes out given cavitation and more fluid to pump. I have a lot of air after the vac fill, so will use your dry break and it sounds like it needs to be a routine tack prep item.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:34 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gspeed
agreed. You understand the benefits of a proper pump, most dont. We have a new pump in the works, with no shut down. Fitting the stewart pump is difficult, this is a more compact design.
eta?
Bad Dad (05-07-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by HNK
eta?
60-90 days. We have a stock car in for fitment and validation.
Bad Dad (05-11-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 04:12 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

60-90 days. We have a stock car in for fitment and validation.
I'm interested. I would like if for the summer, when I track my car. So, the sooner the better.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:42 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
I'm interested. I would like if for the summer, when I track my car. So, the sooner the better.
yes! That's our plan.
Bad Dad (05-11-2017)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:57 PM
vette.uae
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on the pump?!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by vette.uae
Any updates on the pump?!
With out getting into a long drawn out bunch of details, it was less prone to cavitation, but it was a sub par pump that offered no improvement in our eyes.

We focused on the tank solution, and water quality, while retaining the stock pump, which works very well.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using the GSpeed dry break IC bleeder ?

Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I cracked my intercooler on track and we had to replace it. Have had 2 issues after (about a year a part) where we had no power from the charger. On both occasions, we bleed what we could using this system and the car worked perfect afterwards.

One question I had is, I am assuming when everyone is referring to the “airpocket” they meaning the air pocket in the tank on the lower right front side of the car? Anyone have pics of how big or small that pocket should be? I would say my reservoir tank is about 95%. Full. It’s actaully less than what it was from the factory. I haven’t had any issues besides those two but wondering if I need to fill it up more.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Toilets
...I am assuming when everyone is referring to the “airpocket” they meaning the air pocket in the tank on the lower right front side of the car? Anyone have pics of how big or small that pocket should be? I would say my reservoir tank is about 95%. Full. It’s actaully less than what it was from the factory. I haven’t had any issues besides those two but wondering if I need to fill it up more. [/left]
Take a look at your intercooler reservoir - it should not have any more air in the top of it than the small bubbles you see in the picture below:

If you see something like in the picture below, then you have waaayyy too much air in your CAC system and need to either have it vacuum filled, or you can do that procedure in the video posted up here on the forum. The pic below shows too much air:

Old 03-21-2018, 02:33 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Take a look at your intercooler reservoir - it should not have any more air in the top of it than the small bubbles you see in the picture below:

If you see something like in the picture below, then you have waaayyy too much air in your CAC system and need to either have it vacuum filled, or you can do that procedure in the video posted up here on the forum. The pic below shows too much air:

ohhh yeah I am screwed lol. Mine looks like the second picture. Thank you for this post!

Quick Reply: Anyone using the GSpeed dry break IC bleeder ?