C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Need to vent about gauges!! They suck!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Need to vent about gauges!! They suck!!

Our gauges SUCK!
1. The tach is laggy
2. The speedo takes up a third of the cluster and it is also digital in the middle of the center. WASTE
3. With the supercharger motor, why can't we display lambda, IAT1, IAT2, and engine temp?
4. There is not even a factory sensor for wideband. Seriously, we have sensors that are ridiculous and we can't get a simple Lambda or AFR?
5. Speaking of sensors, we have a zillion that have varying degrees of usefulness and we need to use aftermarket hardware to see almost any of them or datalog.

On a damn HellCat you can see Lambda (AFR), IAT1, IAT2, water temp, oil temp, pressure, etc all at the same time.

Now I'm done complaining and I'm ready to start dreaming. I have a dash logic and I can see all the info I want (I have a wideband too) but can't see it at the same time and I can't make it give color changes when parameters are out of bounds (and still see the parameter value). I also can't put them on a dials which is easier to respond to/interpret in the heat of battle than a digital number. I wish I could at the SAME time display the flowing RPM with shift lights like we have on track display, Lambda on a round dial reversed with higher number on left and lower on right and have it nested inside the tach so that as rpm goes up to the right the lambda goes numerically down to the right with a needle and a color range to see instantly if I'm safe with say the whole gauge turning red if throttle is open over say 60% and lambda is numerically above a certain value (maybe yellow when close to the limit and red at or over). I would put boost nested under the lambda and maybe rail pressure under boost. Then at the bottom of that big dial would be a circle that lights up when there is knock retard and displays the degrees of KR in the center. That one gauge with RPM, shift light, Lambda, boost, rail psi and KR repeated on the HUD. Back to the main cluster we would have IAT1 and IAT2 on their own same small round dial with a pair of needles with a small blue light that comes on when intercooler pump is running and turns red if it shuts off. Water temp, Oil temp, pressure on another gauge with 3 needles and scaled so that if all needles are in same area temps and pressure are good. 4 small vertical tapes two on top two on bottom with tire psi and temp numerically near each. Fuel level gauge with e% nested digitally inside. A gear position number like we have with a smaller number below it that shows the lowest numeric gear I can downshift into based on vehicle speed and next to it in a different color the RPM that I would be at in that gear based on current speed. It would be nice to data log this all and be able to play it back (in regular time or slow motion) too.
I​​​​​​ am looking at Dashcommand and trying to make that work but it is going to require a cell phone or tablet and I am going to have to turn it on, and plug it in every time I use the car and it is probably going to look like crap. I saw someone here had Dashcommand​ interfaced to show gauges on radio screen which was okay but I want it to all come on automatically when the car comes turns on and I am okay with it being on the radio lcd but I wish I could display at least RPM, shift light, lambda and boost on center of gauge cluster. And I want to data log everything!! Back to complaining again for a second, except for wide band, we have literally all the sensors to do this and the LCD cluster could totally support this (if it was an open source display).
Old 05-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

What's even crazier is that there is a readout in digital numbers for a lot of things at once, but only in Tour mode??? Why isn't that available in sport or track?? Mind boggling

I hate trying to read the dial looking gages

Last edited by Dfwz06; 05-12-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfwz06
What's even crazier is that there is a readout in digital numbers for a lot of things at once, but only in Tour mode??? Why isn't that available in sport or track?? Mind boggling

this!!!! This is by far the most annoying one. The most versatile readout is in tour mode, and in track mode I can't get everything that I want on the screen it annoys the **** out of me. I'm glad I'm not the only one lol.

Last edited by Ltrain925; 05-12-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:04 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the gauges and I agree that the huge speedo on the left side is a waste of space. I never even look at it as there is a speedo in the HUD and another can be displayed in the middle of the LCD. I prefer the gauges I had in my C5Z.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:24 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

I keep it in tour mode too because of that. I never use track view and the empty lap times annoy me lol.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:51 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

A lot of those are pretty geeky features (not many mainstream Corvette buyers need to display IAT1 and IAT2), but I agree about the speedometer. I was just looking at it this morning, thinking "I've looked at this twice in 2 years now". It's well hidden and pointless.

I think the biggest sin is lack of coolant temp as a pocket gauge. It's omission is so egregious as to appear intentional.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Silver05
Our gauges SUCK!
1. The tach is laggy
2. The speedo takes up a third of the cluster and it is also digital in the middle of the center. WASTE
3. With the supercharger motor, why can't we display lambda, IAT1, IAT2, and engine temp?
4. There is not even a factory sensor for wideband. Seriously, we have sensors that are ridiculous and we can't get a simple Lambda or AFR?
5. Speaking of sensors, we have a zillion that have varying degrees of usefulness and we need to use aftermarket hardware to see almost any of them or datalog.

On a damn HellCat you can see Lambda (AFR), IAT1, IAT2, water temp, oil temp, pressure, etc all at the same time.
My guess would be that there is only so much information on a dash display that a driver can assimilate and process, while driving really fast.

Originally Posted by Dfwz06

One can customize the displays in the various modes. That said, I haven't tried to get the displays I wanted in all of the modes yet.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-13-2017 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:28 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

I love the ediff gauge that shows BS info going in a straight line.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:04 PM
Drew27
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

This is what I did with dashcommand. I made several different display... Also have waze displayed there

Originally Posted by Adam Silver05
Our gauges SUCK!
1. The tach is laggy

Now I'm done complaining and I'm ready to start dreaming. I have a dash logic and I can see all the info I want (I have a wideband too) but can't see it at the same time and I can't make it give color changes when parameters are out of bounds (and still see the parameter value). I also can't put them on a dials which is easier to respond to/interpret in the heat of battle than a digital number. I wish I could at the SAME time display the flowing RPM with shift lights like we have on track display, Lambda on a round dial reversed with higher number on left and lower on right and have it nested inside the tach so that as rpm goes up to the right the lambda goes numerically down to the right with a needle and a color range to see instantly if I'm safe with say the whole gauge turning red if throttle is open over say 60% and lambda is numerically above a certain value (maybe yellow when close to the limit and red at or over). I would put boost nested under the lambda and maybe rail pressure under boost. Then at the bottom of that big dial would be a circle that lights up when there is knock retard and displays the degrees of KR in the center. That one gauge with RPM, shift light, Lambda, boost, rail psi and KR repeated on the HUD. Back to the main cluster we would have IAT1 and IAT2 on their own same small round dial with a pair of needles with a small blue light that comes on when intercooler pump is running and turns red if it shuts off. Water temp, Oil temp, pressure on another gauge with 3 needles and scaled so that if all needles are in same area temps and pressure are good. 4 small vertical tapes two on top two on bottom with tire psi and temp numerically near each. Fuel level gauge with e% nested digitally inside. A gear position number like we have with a smaller number below it that shows the lowest numeric gear I can downshift into based on vehicle speed and next to it in a different color the RPM that I would be at in that gear based on current speed. It would be nice to data log this all and be able to play it back (in regular time or slow motion) too.
I​​​​​​ am looking at Dashcommand and trying to make that work but it is going to require a cell phone or tablet and I am going to have to turn it on, and plug it in every time I use the car and it is probably going to look like crap. I saw someone here had Dashcommand​ interfaced to show gauges on radio screen which was okay but I want it to all come on automatically when the car comes turns on and I am okay with it being on the radio lcd but I wish I could display at least RPM, shift light, lambda and boost on center of gauge cluster. And I want to data log everything!! Back to complaining again for a second, except for wide band, we have literally all the sensors to do this and the LCD cluster could totally support this (if it was an open source display).
Old 05-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Drew27
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

I wish they put more thought into information center and display. It way behind the gtr and dodge display
Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
I love the ediff gauge that shows BS info going in a straight line.
It's accurate, just few understand it and Spring Mountain instructors are not amongst them, so there's a legend that it's wrong or inaccurate. So far as I can tell, it's fine.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:18 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

get a DSC controller and you can expand many of the items you are looking for
The following users liked this post:
The Yav (06-07-2019)
Old 05-12-2017, 11:08 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
get a DSC controller and you can expand many of the items you are looking for
Did you mean DashLogic?
Old 05-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
My guess would be that there is only so much information on a dash display that a driver can assimilate and process, while driving really fast.
It all comes down to how the information is displayed and grouped. You wouldn't believe how much information is displayed in an aviation cockpit and how easily it can be viewed at one time (I am talking about gauges for keeping it in the air and gauges for the engine parameters. If the display layout is really well thought out, all you look for is needles facing wrong way or needles changing directions or colors (green good, yellow requires thought, red requires action).

Also, even if I agree with you that there is only so much that I can assimilate at one time and process (which I don't) while driving really fast, I would like to see my Lambda, RPM, and KR in the HUD when I am in it to win it. Right before and right after, I would like to see tire temp and IAT1 and IAT2 (at least IAT2). Casually, I would like to occasionally be able to see oil temp, oil pressure, water temp. ALL of this on ONE screen in some fashion. I think that if I took the track layout and got rid of all the crap on it that isn't needed and replaced it with things that are useful, I could put it all on there with real-estate to spare.
The following users liked this post:
Bad Dad (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Originally Posted by Drew27
I wish they put more thought into information center and display. It way behind the gtr and dodge display
Drew27, nice work!

Can you provide lots of detail on how you setup the Dashcommand to display on the infotainment screen? I have Dashlogic box and on the Palmer site forum, they say that you can use it as the device to send to the Dashcommand software and I tried to do it with an android and a pc...no luck so I either trying to connect it wrong or the Dashlogic box will not connect to the Dashcommand software.

Also, were there any PIDs that you couldn't get to display since there is no specific option on Dashcommand for our car (they stop around 2009 model year).

Can you get it (the Infotainment screen or parts of it) to flash or change colors if parameters are out of bounds on specific PIDs?
After you start your car, what steps do you need to take to get the display up and running (does the phone have to then be turned on?, do you have to click on the DashCommand App each time?, how do you keep the phone charged?, etc...) How do you toggle the infotainment screen into the phone mirror? I am hoping for as few steps as possible to make it all work and I am able to use a dedicated phone or other device to help.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Lambda is a biggie when adding mods. We don't know where we are with fuel after adding an intake and exhaust mods. The 2013 GT500 came stock with wideband 02s. Now four years later our Z06s still not equipped.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:52 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

This is quite disappointing .. Good business for dashlogic, navtool etc..
I just wish we had a few more gague options and the ability to swap them out in the track setting with lap times.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to vent about gauges!! They suck!!

Old 05-14-2017, 11:58 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

This is the dash display I use. It shows enough information for my needs and is the same display that the Ron Fellowes Spring Mountain guys use on all their race cars. I forget the exact sequence of button pushed needed to get to this, but it is in the manual. This display is available in all driving modes. --Bob
Attached Images  

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 05-14-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:58 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
It's accurate, just few understand it and Spring Mountain instructors are not amongst them, so there's a legend that it's wrong or inaccurate. So far as I can tell, it's fine.
So how do you interpret the data?
Old 05-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
So how do you interpret the data?
You have to be a really really really bright guy like he is.....just ask him, he will explain THAT.

Quick Reply: Need to vent about gauges!! They suck!!