C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How many people are having paint issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 09:03 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Diesel88
Just picked up my 2017 Z06 from the museum. Car was perfect, 1,200 miles later and same issue. Front bumper rubbing so now the paint is starting to peel off. Definitely disapointed but what can I do. Time to bring her into the dealership and find out how good the body shop is before they touch her.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbruce
What year is your car? Was it painted in the new shop?
Front bumper was painted in the new shop

Been raining, so I can't really check over the car much
The following users liked this post:
robertbruce (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:06 AM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

My $2k visible carbon fiber roof option has a terribly painted edge. Aside from that my rear quarters don't line up well with my rockers....
Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave

Just so I'm clear on this. You want me to sand and hand paint the damaged areas on my $100k car?

**** that.
Tort (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry M
It has nothing to do with pushing your car, mine happened at less than 500 miles and I never went over 3k or 4K rpms, whatever the break in procedure was.

Front bumper didn't chip off either from panels rubbing, it peeled off. The issue is adhesion.

Well anyway, I finally got my car taken care of, just picked it up Friday and I'm mostly happy. I need to wash the car so everything is clean, it's been non stop raining here for several days
I truly hoped they pre-fab’d you new clips to provide some space because these oem clips can’t be adjusted enough. Otherwise the issues will most likely reappear. I know at least 10 people in Houston that this has occurred. Good luck and give us an update after a few thousand miles.

Last edited by Cercone; 05-20-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:19 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

I am waiting on delivery of a 2019 Z06 WGG, does anyone know the % of vehicles that come out of the factory with paint issues and whether some colors are more of a concern then others? Also, if anyone knows exactly what to look for on delivery please let me know.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cercone

I truly hoped they pre-fab’d you new clips to provide some space because these oem clips can’t be adjusted enough. Otherwise the issues will most likely reappear. I know at least 10 people in Houston that this has occurred. Good luck and give us an update after a few thousand miles.
I'll certainly let everyone know if it happens again. Let's hope I don't have to deal with this again
Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by redzone
Just so I'm clear on this. You want me to sand and hand paint the damaged areas on my $100k car?

**** that.
If it is less then a 1/2 inch long and the width of a pencil point HELL YEAH!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 05-20-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:26 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06
I am waiting on delivery of a 2019 Z06 WGG, does anyone know the % of vehicles that come out of the factory with paint issues and whether some colors are more of a concern then others? Also, if anyone knows exactly what to look for on delivery please let me know.
I just got my torch red 2019 ZO6 and the paint job still has a fair amount of orange peel. I'm disappointed coming out of the new paint shop investing over 500,000 I thought it would be a little better then this. Maybe my expectations where to high with all the hype, but the paint seems really creamy and the color very vibrant. I hear it's hit or miss or maybe the color red shows more orange peel then other colors. Other people have said it's much better then the old paint and has hardly, if any, orange peel at all so maybe it's luck of the draw. On the other hand my panel gaps seem to be perfect all the way around the car, very symmetrical, even and flat, well aligned [ couldn't be happier ] Hopefully no chipping occurs at the panel gaps, to early to tell [ cross my fingers ] All and all I love the car and everything seems to be perfect except the orange peel Sorry don't know about any % of paint issues this was just my experience Good luck and Congrats on the new ride
SuperdadZ06 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
If it is less then a 1/2 inch long and the width of a pencil point HELL YEAH!

FYI that's my car and **** that, no way am I re painting a $100K car. I had peeling in 6 different spots.
I just got my car back of Friday with a fresh new bumper.
redzone (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdolandese
I just got my torch red 2019 ZO6 and the paint job still has a fair amount of orange peel. I'm disappointed coming out of the new paint shop investing over 500,000 I thought it would be a little better then this. Maybe my expectations where to high with all the hype, but the paint seems really creamy and the color very vibrant. I hear it's hit or miss or maybe the color red shows more orange peel then other colors. Other people have said it's much better then the old paint and has hardly, if any, orange peel at all so maybe it's luck of the draw. On the other hand my panel gaps seem to be perfect all the way around the car, very symmetrical, even and flat, well aligned [ couldn't be happier ] Hopefully no chipping occurs at the panel gaps, to early to tell [ cross my fingers ] All and all I love the car and everything seems to be perfect except the orange peel Sorry don't know about any % of paint issues this was just my experience Good luck and Congrats on the new ride
Are you going to use XPEL or another product to try and protect the paint?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Typical vent damage in front fenders and rubbing panel by headlight fender/bumper.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06
Are you going to use XPEL or another product to try and protect the paint?
Cars at my detailer right now am getting Suntek PPF on the entire car, including splitter, rockers , spoiler, headlights and door sills. Also ceramic coating the wheels with Modesta and tinting the windows and blacking out the targa top as well as the piece that separates the rear window and targa top. Can't wait almost done then I'll post some pic's. Torch red with black contrast
SuperdadZ06 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:18 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdolandese
Cars at my detailer right now am getting Suntek PPF on the entire car, including splitter, rockers , spoiler, headlights and door sills. Also ceramic coating the wheels with Modesta and tinting the windows and blacking out the targa top as well as the piece that separates the rear window and targa top. Can't wait almost done then I'll post some pic's. Torch red with black contrast
My detailer recommended Suntek which I am going to use on about half the car, using cermamic coating on the rest. I bought a rag top with manual transmission. Torch Red was a top choice for me as well but I ended up with WGG, a little more stealth

Quick Reply: How many people are having paint issues?