C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

For those without any side skirts...

Old 05-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Corvetterwb
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I removed the 3/4 skirts and replaced them with C7 Carbon OEM style Z06 skirts. I had visions of having to drill many holes in the rocker. Fortunately, the C7 Carbon skirts holes matched the OEM 3/4 skirts perfectly. I did have to drill 3 additional holes on each side because of the longer skirt.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 PM
kennb44
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Can't be done!(Run without side skirts).

I had 500 miles on mine before installing CF side skirts. Left chips on the qtrs,repainted the air ducts. I cannot imagine what it would have looked like at 10.000 miles.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:50 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvetterwb
I removed the 3/4 skirts and replaced them with C7 Carbon OEM style Z06 skirts. I had visions of having to drill many holes in the rocker. Fortunately, the C7 Carbon skirts holes matched the OEM 3/4 skirts perfectly. I did have to drill 3 additional holes on each side because of the longer skirt.
And why did you replace them, rwb? Appearance or for more protection? Were the 3/4 skirts not enough protection?

And do you also have splash guards?
Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,174 Posts

did you have the new skirts wrapped with ppf? I am installing 3/4 skirts soon and curious what you thought having removed and installed two types.

Also, you think if i grab the installation kit from gm for the full length skirts (comes with 26 rivets washers etc) that would be all i would need for the 3/4 skirts?I could not figure out the GM P/N for the 3/4 skirt installation package.. or if somebody already figured that out it would be great help (thanks)

my car came with none it's a 16 stage I aero. thanks.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
...how beat up are your lower doors, rear fenders and brake ducts?

I love the look of the Z with no skirts, and I don't even mind if the brake ducts take a beating to be honest. But of course none of us want our lower rocker panels and rear fenders looking like sandpaper after 10,000 miles.

So, for those with no skirts, how many miles on your car? And what color do you have (because I do think the color matters to some extent)? And do you have PPF?

And, ultimately, is the road hash 'acceptable' to you?
I drove mine for 600 miles from the dealer and it was not acceptable. Most chips, scuffs to the cowl, but small abrasions in a short period of time would be magnified over time. I was indifferent to the look but have actually grown to like the skirts.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:07 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
did you have the new skirts wrapped with ppf? I am installing 3/4 skirts soon and curious what you thought having removed and installed two types.

Also, you think if i grab the installation kit from gm for the full length skirts (comes with 26 rivets washers etc) that would be all i would need for the 3/4 skirts?I could not figure out the GM P/N for the 3/4 skirt installation package.. or if somebody already figured that out it would be great help (thanks)

I guess the question is "does the 3/4 skirts work as well the full length versions?"

ANYONE KNOW?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:02 AM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I guess the question is "does the 3/4 skirts work as well the full length versions?"

ANYONE KNOW?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 AM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
I drove mine for 600 miles from the dealer and it was not acceptable. Most chips, scuffs to the cowl, but small abrasions in a short period of time would be magnified over time. I was indifferent to the look but have actually grown to like the skirts.
Thanks, BL
Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I've read they work. I don't think they look as good though. The 3/4 length should be long enough to block the trajectory of the rocks thrown from the front tires. The best $$$ solution is to not install the 3/4 skirts if you don't llike them, sell them on the forum, and order aftermarket skirts. That's my plan on the 2018 I'm planning on ordering.

Last edited by lgodom; 05-21-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Corvetterwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by KevinGS
And why did you replace them, rwb? Appearance or for more protection? Were the 3/4 skirts not enough protection?

And do you also have splash guards?
I replaced them for both of those reasons. The full length look better and do provide some extra protection. Although the front of the car is wrapped, I have not had the skirts done yet. I do have the front and rear slash guards.

Last edited by Corvetterwb; 05-21-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Corvetterwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z

Have not wrapped the full length skirts. The installation kit will work for the 3/4 skirts.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:58 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Have not wrapped the full length skirts. The installation kit will work for the 3/4 skirts.
thank you very much.

I don't like the look of either to tell you the truth. My car has the 10 spoke blades in pearl nickel and has all shark gray vents. To me. Either option detracts from the athletic look of this car but I have no choice.

for piece of mind I purchased the lesser of two evils to do the job (imo).

Electric taped both brake ducts. Ridiculous 100k car. 10 dollar splash guards and electric tape to stop the paint from being destroyed driving around on regular paved roads.
and unfortunately I'll have to keep the splash guards in place or I'll still have issues back there.

one woman with a white Z06 at this cars and coffee today was complaining about the chips and she had a dopey. Right above brake duct nice Nick out of the paint. (I have xpel installed there). She has the full length carbon fiber exposed GM side skirts and splitter no splash guards.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
This was my first Z06 and my first Corvette, so I wasn't really aware of the issue. And unlike some of the pretentious and pompous asses you'll find on here that will tell you you're nothing short of a moron for not knowing this will happen (despite it being your first foray into a wide body vehicle), I didn't spend my days rolling around in Porsches with wide rear ends, either.

I first noticed the damage about 2-3K miles. It's totally unacceptable, as my black Z06 in the sunlight reveals all. I was quick to add the oversized splashguards and then a set of C7 Carbon CF side skirts. If I knew then what I knew now, I'd never have driven it off the lot without these (or other) protection.
You have sized things up well. It is a learning curve with any performance car. You now know. A good body shop should be able to touch-up and buff-out the damage. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

atvBob...you're playing my song, sorry to say....everything you said is dead accurate & spot on. I went thru the same "learning curve" as you did. Never heard anything about the rock chips issue from other owners (but they all owned the C7 Stingray, which isn't a victim like the wide body Z06 is) and I really was PO'd at the dealer for not cautioning me as to what options (like the Aero options) I should consider when I ordered the car, to save the paint work and subsequent damages. He didn't know anything about it (sells maybe 4 Z06's per year) and I blame GM for not instructing all the many dealership Sales forces on this malady. I did have mine repainted (it's black, like yours) and I would tell you to forget the partial or touch up paint idea. The right way to do it is to remove the sections of the car body that were damaged, have them stripped and repainted, cover with Xpel Ultimate, install major splash guards (like Oreilly's, not GM's) and then have side skirts installed. If your car isn't too old, DEMAND that your dealer get a warranty claim covered by GM to have the car repainted as I have described. I did and it got covered...and it was pretty expensive. You're not alone, most everyone who worships the appearance of their Z06 is furious about this design flaw. Good luck to you!

Last edited by tzoid9; 05-22-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those without any side skirts...