C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

For those without any side skirts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default For those without any side skirts...

...how beat up are your lower doors, rear fenders and brake ducts?

I love the look of the Z with no skirts, and I don't even mind if the brake ducts take a beating to be honest. But of course none of us want our lower rocker panels and rear fenders looking like sandpaper after 10,000 miles.

So, for those with no skirts, how many miles on your car? And what color do you have (because I do think the color matters to some extent)? And do you have PPF?

And, ultimately, is the road hash 'acceptable' to you?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

This was my first Z06 and my first Corvette, so I wasn't really aware of the issue. And unlike some of the pretentious and pompous asses you'll find on here that will tell you you're nothing short of a moron for not knowing this will happen (despite it being your first foray into a wide body vehicle), I didn't spend my days rolling around in Porsches with wide rear ends, either.

I first noticed the damage about 2-3K miles. It's totally unacceptable, as my black Z06 in the sunlight reveals all. I was quick to add the oversized splashguards and then a set of C7 Carbon CF side skirts. If I knew then what I knew now, I'd never have driven it off the lot without these (or other) protection.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:38 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I noticed damage within a 100 miles.
Had some plastic wrap put on shortly thereafter.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:45 PM
shiv.nandak
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I like the car without side skirts too. I had my lower doors, rear quarters (until gas cap) and brake ducts covered in suntek PPF at 80 miles. The installer found 2 chips on the left brake duct and 1 chip on the right duct. He was not able to fully cover the chipped areas since the film won't stick on the un-even surface. I would suggest you get at least your brake ducts covered.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

300 miles before skirts installed quite a bit of damage.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:00 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Kevin, I like the look of the Z better without side skirts too, but I hate rock chips more. If you look at the bottom of the front tires, you'll see how they stick out past the front fenders and obviously will throw rocks up the side of your car with the rear ducts being an easy target. The best solutions are to add mud guards that extend low and past the tires and add side skirts, or learn to live with chipped up paint.

Rock chips are the reason GM added standard 3/4 length side skirts to the Z06 in 2017.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:20 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I also noticed brake duct and rear quarter damage pretty quick without the skirts...I had 2 chips by the time I got home from my 500 mile drive home from the dealer. I chalked it up as "construction" I had to drive through to get home. Finally by 900 miles I had enough small chips on each side that I had to order touch up paint and pencil in the chips. At that point, I ordered side skirts and didnt drive the car again until I got them on.

Now at 3300 miles, I still pick up a chip or two, here and there, but its atleast 75% reduced..

And after looking at the chips in the paint on the skirts (up front), its a miracle the rocker paners and quarter panels didnt get chipped up worse then they did.

Skirts are not the end all/be all cure for brake duct chips but....Its a HUGE improvement.

I'd say if you don't want skirts, then XPel everything from the mid door level down, from the front tire back to the rear tire. You'll at least have a chance with keeping paint on the ducts.
The following users liked this post:
Kinsale (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 PM
sofast
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have the O'Reilly's mudflaps that I found discussed on this forum. No damage other then some brake duct chips. I have 7000 miles on the car.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:37 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

14K miles on mine. I don't care for the look of the car with skirts but I understand why guys put them on. I actually decided to go a different route and it's working pretty well. I sold my Michelins and put on Conti's. They are far less aggressive (sticky), last longer, cheaper and quieter. They are also more rounded on the edges. This combined with ACS enhanced front flaps and a little 3M PPF on the rear and I'm good to go. There are still going to be the occasional rouge rocks that find their way on this wide car, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I have Torch Red, btw.

For me, it just got to the point of either worrying about it and letting it bother me to the point of not driving the car, OR...... just enjoy this sweet, bad *** car and not let it bother me. Big deal if you have to touch up a few little chips here and there. I can assure you that you are the only one that even knows they are there. Just my two cents.

Last edited by 1QUICK Z; 05-17-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Thanks for everyone's input.

Originally Posted by sofast
I have the O'Reilly's mudflaps that I found discussed on this forum. No damage other then some brake duct chips. I have 7000 miles on the car.
Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
14K miles on mine. I don't care for the look of the car with skirts but I understand why guys put them on. I actually decided to go a different route and it's working pretty well. I sold my Michelins and put on Conti's. They are far less aggressive (sticky), last longer, cheaper and quieter. They are also more rounded on the edges. This combined with ACS enhanced front flaps and a little 3M PPF on the rear and I'm good to go. There are still going to be the occasional rouge rocks that find their way on this wide car, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I have Torch Red, btw.

For me, it just got to the point of either worrying about it and letting it bother me to the point of not driving the car, OR...... just enjoy this sweet, bad *** car and not let it bother me. Big deal if you have to touch up a few little chips here and there. I can assure you that you are the only one that even knows they are there. Just my two cents.
The brake duct can be covered with aftermarket black inserts for like $30, so I'm not too concerned about the brake ducts. The paint is my main concern.

So, I think I'm going skirtless....with splash guards (O'Reilly's seem ideal - wide and deep) and full PPF on the front and sides of the car, and then will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:10 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by lgodom

Rock chips are the reason GM added standard 3/4 length side skirts to the Z06 in 2017.
And GM should offer those side skirts to owners of 2015-6 cars at cost!

I can't help but think GM didn't spend much time actually DRIVING the finished car before putting it in showrooms.
The damage shows up immediately when the car is driven on an actual road.

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
I sold my Michelins and put on Conti's. They are far less aggressive (sticky), last longer, cheaper and quieter. They are also more rounded on the edges.
How well does these tires grip?
Are you aggressive in the twisties?

I can assure you that you are the only one that even knows they are there.
Until it comes time to sell or trade it in.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:42 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
And GM should offer those side skirts to owners of 2015-6 cars at cost!

I can't help but think GM didn't spend much time actually DRIVING the finished car before putting it in showrooms.
The damage shows up immediately when the car is driven on an actual road.How well does these tires grip?
Are you aggressive in the twisties?Until it comes time to sell or trade it in.
The Conti's are surprisingly good. They have great bite for spirited driving. I'm very happy with them.

I disagree with the selling or trading it in, but to each their own. Not everyone is as picky as some of the guys on this forum. I thought I was picky until I read some of these posts. I love my car. I'm not saving it for the next guy. I think I'll enjoy it and if it gets too bad I'll replace the PPF. Big deal.

Last edited by 1QUICK Z; 05-17-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:35 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Thanx for the info on the Contis.
I'll probably switch to them once the Michelins go off.

Regarding my comment on selling or trading, I was only thinking about the next buyer or dealer wanting to knock big $$$ off what you might be asking.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:10 AM
Dnmscz
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

APSIS mud flaps work well without skirts... I also like the skirtless look.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 AM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My car has 5700 miles on it and I have the GM mud guards. My rear quarters and brake ducts are chipped and eroded. I got a quote from my dealer to install the full length skirts at $2,932.04 Yikes! I called GM customer service and asked for cost relief. Ran the issue up to the "manager" level and was told "sorry - the car came stock without skirts so we can't help you". I agree with others on this forum. GM needs to provide the 3/4 skirts to 2015 / 2016 owners at a subsidized cost. This is an area where the Corvette tax should not be applicable.

Last edited by AJay; 05-18-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:57 AM
z06_Juan
Instructor

The side skirts are less than 600 shipped from C7 Carbon. My brake ducts were trashed, but I have plans for the entire car with a vinyl wrap so I don't really mind. Especially since it is such a small piece and easily repaired.

That being said, I wish I added the skirts sooner; they really give the car an additional look.
The following users liked this post:
atvBob (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:17 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

This problem existed with the C6 Z06 as well................I had a 2008 Z06, and 2013 427 (basically a convertible Z06 for our purposes here), and now a 2015 Z06. I think there was a total of some 30,000 miles, or close to it with all 3. The 08 did not, and the 15 does not, have side skirts----the 13 did.

On all three cars I put on the Apsis splash guards (yes, expensive, etc., but they work). I did not know about the O'Reilly guards at the time----I would try those 1st for the $13.

End results----08 and 13 did fine----neither had any damage from the road debris (one had side skirts, the other did not). With the 15 I am seeing a little---very little at this point with only 5,000 miles----- damage on the rear vent edges. Someone suggested black electrical tape for these edges---many on the Forum state it works and you can't notice it.

Hope this helps you.

Get notified of new replies

To For those without any side skirts...

Old 05-18-2017, 11:26 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Yeah op splash guards and xpel the car and it will be fine. Just make sure you get ducts wrapped as well. That was my mistake. Did quarters thought I was fine. But ducts getting whooped.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:07 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by z06_Juan
The side skirts are less than 600 shipped from C7 Carbon.
Z06/Z07 Style 3/4 skirts in carbon fiber are $696.57, and in carbon flash are $603.57.
The GTX skirts are $743.07 in carbon fiber and $650.07 in carbon flash.
The Turismo skirts are $650.07 in carbon fiber, $575.67 in carbon flash and $464.07 in fiberlgass (primer black).
Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Yeah op splash guards and cell car will be fine. Just make sure you get ducts wrapped as well. That was my mistake. Did quarters thought I was fine. But ducts getting whooped.
Sounds like a plan, thanks

Quick Reply: For those without any side skirts...