C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Thoroughly impressed so far - 1st 1/4 outing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:28 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Default Thoroughly impressed so far - 1st 1/4 outing

I attended the Corvette Show & Go at Etown Sunday. This is the first time I've had the Z at the track so to say I was eager is an understatement. I plan to get the car to other tracks for road racing, auto x, etc. Etown is 30 mins from me so hey, why not. I fully expected to spin on the stock MPSS runflats but was surprised that the car hooked right up. My guess was to be sitting in the mid 11's all day so a 11.05 out of the box was great. I have a feeling there is some strong torque management intervention happening as the loud pedal did not follow the cars reactions during launch. You can see that in the PDR vids most clearly.

I took home a car show trophy as well and overall it was just a great day. I drove the car to the track, raced and then drove it home. I didn't even mess with the tire pressure and had way too much fuel. Simply amazing and it will see 10's at Atco in the fall.

Below are a few vids including 4 from the PDR vid. I tried to combine everything into the primary vid but for some reason the GoPro software kept removing the sound during conversion.

A few notes:

- You can see in the PDR vids where I go WOT but the car has a slight delay. I'm thinking it's torque management since traction control was off and the car is not spinning. It screwed with my reaction time quite a bit.

- I think the owner of the yellow vette was dyslexic since he dialed at 11.50 but ran a 11.05. I was wondering how the hell we was out on me so far lol.

- The black vette was badass and has gone 9s. He was having issues so he dialed up to a 10.50 to play cat and mouse.

- I didn't realize this until viewing the PDR vids but the car knew it was at etown and adjusted the overlay accordingly. Really really cool detail.

Times for the day were:

11.05 @ 124.49
11.16 @ 127.49
11.08 @ 124.49
11.10 @ 122.xx
11.20 @ 122.xx

The lack of a full cool down definitely effected the power on the last two runs as they occurred within about 30 mins of each other. I was doing an idle punch to launch the car but it seems I need to try another technique to get it to leave harder. Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

curious why you didn't do launch control
Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 PM
2017ZO6
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineapple Devil
Bone stock. They are one of the best quarter mile cars to buy.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Normally I can out drive those systems so I didn't see a need to even try it. When I go for a track rental in the fall, I will try a few different methods to see what nets the best results.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

If it's going to hook, you're faster without launch control.

If it's not going to hook, you're (likely) faster with launch control.

But it's got to hook to make a good ET. You won't run a quick 60' on launch control, I'm afraid.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
If it's going to hook, you're faster without launch control.

If it's not going to hook, you're (likely) faster with launch control.

But it's got to hook to make a good ET. You won't run a quick 60' on launch control, I'm afraid.
Agreed. I need to find a way to get around the TM on launch.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2017ZO6
Bone stock. They are one of the best quarter mile cars to buy.
wait, what?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
Normally I can out drive those systems so I didn't see a need to even try it. When I go for a track rental in the fall, I will try a few different methods to see what nets the best results.
It isn't about "out driving" the system. Launch control allows the car to be up further into the powerband instead of easing into it from an idle. From experience, it can immediately knock off at least .4 seconds off your posted 0-60 time. Stock tires can work just fine to hook up. Heat them up and get into the tracks of previous cars launching hard and making the track sticky.

Last edited by Pineapple Devil; 05-23-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

It isn't about "out driving" the system. Launch control allows the car to be up further into the powerband instead of easing into it from an idle. From experience, it can immediately knock off at least .4 seconds off your posted 0-60 time. Stock tires can work just fine to hook up. Heat them up and get into the tracks of previous cars launching hard and making the track sticky.
In many of the cars I've owned, I've been able to beat the computer so I didn't think the Z would be any different. I will be happy to be wrong and plan to give it a shot next time I'm out at the track. From reading others comments, it didn't seem LC was the best way to the quickest 1/4 mile times.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
In many of the cars I've owned, I've been able to beat the computer so I didn't think the Z would be any different. I will be happy to be wrong and plan to give it a shot next time I'm out at the track. From reading others comments, it didn't seem LC was the best way to the quickest 1/4 mile times.
There's quite a few videos on youtube of sub 11 sec 1/4's with stock A8 cars using it. YMMV though
Old 05-23-2017, 06:04 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

On drag radials launch control usually slows me down by .2-.3 so I just launch off idle in sport mode.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:36 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

You have to "hippopotamus" the pedal to get around the TM on launch.

meaning from the top when you leave say the word hippopotamus out loud. By the time you're at "mus" you should be at WOT. It's about smooth transition. Used to use it for traction. Now it's to get around the nannies. You will find the right speed to say the word once the TM limits you again then slow it a tiny bit for the sweet spot.

a drag racing technique I've used for decades on stock cars and trucks on stock tires at the strip. After a while you just do it naturally.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-23-2017 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AZGASSER (05-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Thoroughly impressed so far - 1st 1/4 outing

Quick Reply: Thoroughly impressed so far - 1st 1/4 outing