C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2016 Z06 A8 driveline whine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 PM
14Z51lbj1021
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 Z06 A8 driveline whine noise

Whining noise is pretty noticeable when drive train is slightly loaded at highway cruise speeds. Car has 8,500 miles, never tracked. Noise seems to be getting louder. Anyone have experience with this. If previously covered in another post, please redirect me, or share your thoughts or experiences. Thanks...Lynn
Old 05-23-2017, 05:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Sounds like rear differential noise.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 PM
14Z51lbj1021
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Sounds like rear differential noise.
Absolutely rear end noise. I'm not familiar with torque tube setup and if noise is not normally associated with tube, it sounds like ring and pinion gears to me. Had Dealer check fluid level, it is full.

Before I go to Dealer, just want to be aware of any experiences of other owners, i.e., has this been a problem with the C7 cars?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:40 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

My 16 did the same thing had to be replaced. There's a lot of 16s with this problem, some had low oil and some had the ring and pinion set up wrong.
Here is my thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ial-whine.html
Old 05-23-2017, 07:53 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Just out of curiosity, check the sloop when you shift from drive to reverse. Also when going about 30 mph let off the gas and the lightly accelerate.
Mine was pretty tight before, but after the differential change it has more play and I can feel it. I noticed it at the dealership when I picked it up and shifted from reverse to drive. Also when it's in Park I can grab the rear tire and rotate it back and forth, and the car moves a lot. Just check these thing before you take it in and see how it is after you pick it up. Report back on this thread how yours turned out. I talked to the tech and he said he could order another differential but there's no guarantee it will be any better. Still makes me mad that they had to tear my new car apart they should have better quality control from their vendors. Good Luck
Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Sounds like the same symptoms as my 2015 when the rear diff needed to be replaced... pretty common unfortunately.

GM is eating a lot of expensive warranty action on these diffs... you'd think it'd be someone's job to post-mortem the "why" and then prevent it. Then again, maybe the 2016s and 2017s are better, but it doesn't seem like it yet.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:46 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Z51lbj1021
Absolutely rear end noise. I'm not familiar with torque tube setup and if noise is not normally associated with tube, it sounds like ring and pinion gears to me. Had Dealer check fluid level, it is full.

Before I go to Dealer, just want to be aware of any experiences of other owners, i.e., has this been a problem with the C7 cars?
Yeah, there have been others - as mentioned above.

Good news is I don't recall anybody getting the run around about having it replaced under warranty.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

read this thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-noise.html
Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 AM
14Z51lbj1021
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by lordofwar
Thanks guys, you confirmed what I was pretty sure the problem is. Having built many rear gear sets in old drag racing days, I know as little as a couple of thousandths extra clearance between pinion gear and ring gear causes the whining noise. Set them up too tight and it generates heat and excessive wearing. Its a delicate balance, but should not be a problem for someone that makes them for a living.

I read the 4/16 thread you recommended, just more evidence. I really share concern about "dealer repair roulette". Having a guy tear the car apart that is not specifically trained, and/or hasn't done it several times is worrisome.

I do hope GM is making the supplier bear all costs. I would have thought after the first few failures, the factory would have a Tech check hundreds of gear sets with a dial indicator for proper gear clearance, before install. Not hard to do, and a lot cheaper than replacement.

I have faith GM will correct the problem, but finding the right guy to turn the wrenches is a major concern. I will do some repair history research before selecting a mechanic/Dealer to do the job.

Not a "basher" here. Love the car. it is the finest mass production vehicle I have ever sat in,

Thanks guys, you have armed me with sufficient information. That's the beauty of collective thought, i.e., this Forum. Will keep you posted. Lynn
Old 06-01-2018, 04:02 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

This sounds like the sound I get (a progressively louder hum). It seems to be coming from the rear of the car and it happens more when I'm on a the freeway in a sweeping right turn (freeway curve). BUT, it also happens on the street sometimes going straight and at low speeds. It's intermittent.

I was confused since I have a range unit on at all times (thinking it was related to the TC issue). I just found this post and the light bulb came on.

What did you end up doing? Were you able to 'prove' this to the dealer?

I'm on a '17 Stingray 1LT A8

Originally Posted by 14Z51lbj1021
Whining noise is pretty noticeable when drive train is slightly loaded at highway cruise speeds. Car has 8,500 miles, never tracked. Noise seems to be getting louder. Anyone have experience with this. If previously covered in another post, please redirect me, or share your thoughts or experiences. Thanks...Lynn

Last edited by tcinla; 06-01-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Z06 A8 driveline whine noise

Quick Reply: 2016 Z06 A8 driveline whine noise