C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:45 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Clutch issue

I think I have some issues with the clutch, I just got the z06 from the dealer today. During upshifts the clutch feels like there are some other pieces loose, like they were hitting the clutch, something loose. I can feel it in the foot. This isn't normal right? I should get it checked out? also Even when warmed up it still does that. Felt like there is another piece of something and once awhile my foot will feel it hitting the clutch or whatever.

Oh yeah the clutch seems really low, I mean the friction point. And 3.5 hours of driving I stalled it 7 times. (my other car I think I stalled it once or twice in 4 years)happens mostly when I don't give it any gas, it's hard to feel where it catches or seems like it just stalls. When I gas it it's usually fine, but I think you should be able to clutch it in without using the gas right?

also the shifter feels great no problem there, nice and smooth, not clunky nor notchy.

After driving it for 3.5 hours I parked it and I can hear some noise coming from the rear, rear center area I think transmission area. The noise sounded like when you pour out liquid from a 2 liter of bottle, sounded kind of like that. went on for awhile maybe 15 min. Didn't go hard on the car at all and checked tranny fluid it was around 180, other temps seemed ok too. Do you guys also get that noise is that normal.

With AC on the front of the car is really loud right? I mean REALLY LOUD, today it was really hot but with AC on the front of the car was really loud, I thought something was wrong. Turned off AC and it got much better. (my previous cars it gets loud with AC on but not this loud, this is like 4x louder!)

thanks for reading/help

Last edited by okaythen; 05-24-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:37 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Congrats on the Z. First off the clutch doesn't sound right. Mine is as smooth as butter. The clutch will engage near the top of the depress.
Car has terrific torque so you should be able to get the car moving without any throttle input.
The air conditioning compressor will run on the car with the bottom vent toggled. I hear condensation steaming off the exhaust after turning the car off, very normal.
Yes the fan is loud with the AC on.
Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
okaythen (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 05:38 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

With your foot to the floor, the clutch should engage when you lift your foot just a little. If it does not engage until the pedal is almost all the way up to the top you have a problem.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Mine engages at the top. That's how it's supposed to be
The c6z was the opposite. It would catch right off the floor

Last edited by Dfwz06; 05-24-2017 at 07:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dfwz06:
VictorBarron (05-24-2017), Z0HS1CK (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Mine engages towards the top as well.

My sister's altima engages right off the floor. Annoying as hell lol
Old 05-24-2017, 11:02 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Okaythen, I think you have two things going on. First off, your explanation regarding the noises or sounds coming from the clutch....nope, shouldn't be doing that and especially not on a new car. Get it back to the dealers, somethings loose, missing or whatever! The stalling 7 times, HA, join the party! It's called a hesitation or throttle bog problem and it's VERY noticeable in the M7 cars.....just put a search in on either of the above terms and you'll find many comments and some remedies, none of which are offered by GM or your friendly Z06 dealer. You'll learn to somewhat live with the throttle bog thing, most likely always hate it, but all things considered, you'll love the car I'm sure. Welcome aboard, fasten your seat belt, it's like riding a lightning bolt!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:43 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I am no Mario Andretti, but I have put some 13k miles on my Z. Occasionally I will stall it out to this day. Its embarrassing as hell, with that said, it seems to be highly shoe dependent, meaning the feel is incredibly subtle. If I have on boots forget about it. I was at a track event last weekend (as a spectator), and managed to stall it out infront of a bunch of the spectators. I felt like a total goober, my passenger laughed at me, I laughed and we had a good time. The best part was the judgmental glares from all of these car people. It was great.
The following users liked this post:
okaythen (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 06:01 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks so much guys, going to take it to dealer asap. Yeah the clutch engage point is very low,not far from the floor. My other manual is way higher and it's 4 years old now (as you drive it the clutch engage point will keep getting lower right? and you need to get it adjusted eventually)

tzoid9 I searched for "hesitation or throttle bog" but didn't find much result. are there other names for it.

OBD2 is exposed right? there is no cover for it. https://i.imgur.com/qLNLzjD.jpg Do you guys just leave it or cover it up with something.

Also one of the exhaust tip is dented some in the bottom center https://i.imgur.com/yaiAGpR.jpg https://i.imgur.com/NC4nUrQ.jpg https://i.imgur.com/naW8Xs1.jpg I tried to move it but it's tight and nothing is loose, used a flashlight to see what I can see around there and didn't find damage or anything. But man brand new z and it came like that.... kinda and it's noticeable when I go to places. https://i.imgur.com/qDQDCuz.jpg

Also 7 miles https://i.imgur.com/1RcFlyG.jpg Drove around for 1 mile then took the pic.

Break-in engine rpm manual says go up to 4000 rpm, but many threads I read 3500rpm...I guess go with manual? but 4k seems pretty high. also friend said 80% throttle to get to 4k rpm is that too much? or that's the correct way of break in. also stalling it 7 times in 3 hours. how much does that affect break-in period? will lose some hp, MPG not as good?

Oh god gotta go to dealer tomorrow for this clutch, hate waiting and waiting!!!! but thanks everyone!

Last edited by okaythen; 05-25-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfwz06
Mine engages at the top. That's how it's supposed to be
The c6z was the opposite. It would catch right off the floor
I have driven 2 new C7 Z06 with very little mileage and both of them engaged right off the floor. I think GM has some wild variance in how they set these cars up at the factory.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch issue

Quick Reply: Clutch issue