C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Thinking of trading my Z for a Camaro ZL1 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

95 out of 100 people have no clue that it's a special camaro. That's the problem with that car. With these cars, especially the widebody cars, have the looks and the speed AND the handling. The camaro appeals to some, but is countered by a Mustang and lesser degree a challenger.

the corvette is countered by real world SUPER CARS. That's the overall difference imho.

I still say buy it and beat it up and report back. Why not?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I don't think Sean is nearly as concerned as others about the badge on the fender. Dude is a track hound, and he'll have a ball with it. And probably outrun most every Z06 he sees on the track with it as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
four0nefive (05-26-2017), Poor-sha (05-26-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I don't think Sean is nearly as concerned as others about the badge on the fender. Dude is a track hound, and he'll have a ball with it. And probably outrun most every Z06 he sees on the track with it as well.
Exactly!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:53 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Exactly. All this talk about a muscle car vs. a supercar is laughable. The ZL1 1LE is all about the track, which is right up Sean's alley. When you're out on the track running at 10/10ths who cares about how somebody labels a car. What the car can accomplish when asked to run several 20 minute sessions in a day is what really counts. The 1LE lives for that precise purpose and will be a serious asskicker in his hands.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:21 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I would totally get the zl1 1le, it's a different car with the same hear heart and soul. Which is amazing that we have these options. GM is trying just as hard with the camaro as they are with the corvette and that is just awesome. It gives us car enthusiasts options, and by no means is the camaro far behind the corvette like it has been in the past. The z06 has always been the top dog but the zl1 is so close behind it. You'll get a different experience but one you can probably expect and predict. Life's to short, get that bad boy and enjoy it and put it down on your resume you've had 2 of the most badass cars GM produced and when that zr1 comes out put that on the list to!

Last edited by Ltrain925; 05-26-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:48 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017ZO6
These comparisons can get silly sometimes. It's like you have a 2015 Lamborghini Huracan with 15000 hard miles and want to trade to a 2013 Lamborghini Gallardo with 20 miles. Why step down when you already have the best Chevy has to offer. I would have bought the budget ZL1 to if I was concerned about money. Instead I bought a 2017 badass Z06 the true super car America has to offer. This is a corvette forum not a Camaro forum.
What's more silly is your continuing to think that our ZO6's are the "end all" for all performance cars....and even more silly bringing up budget when OP expressed that the new ZR1 is another target of his.
I would guess OP would smoke you in that "muscle car" against you in your "supercar"??? Try tracking sometime, it will humble you.

Originally Posted by Les
Exactly. All this talk about a muscle car vs. a supercar is laughable. The ZL1 1LE is all about the track, which is right up Sean's alley. When you're out on the track running at 10/10ths who cares about how somebody labels a car. What the car can accomplish when asked to run several 20 minute sessions in a day is what really counts. The 1LE lives for that precise purpose and will be a serious asskicker in his hands.
Exactly guys.

Last edited by Boba Fett; 05-26-2017 at 06:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boba Fett:
four0nefive (05-26-2017), sam90lx (06-06-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:14 AM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't do it - Bill and JVP have very sound logic
Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 AM
BUCKNERBUCK2
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Going to be a lot of unhappy egotistical Z06 owners when the ZL1 1LE puts up better lap times in such a lowly nameplate. Your experience in the SS 1LE seems to be spot on if the gen6 chassis. People forget that GM developed that after the c7, so it does represent the latest of what the chassis group knows and builds upon the gen5 z/28, which was already a handful for a c7Z at a road course.

I say do it, sounds like you are doing it for all the right reasons unlike 80% of this forum who buys a track oriented car just so they can be seen in it.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

As OnPoint, Boba, badhabit, and others have noted this has nothing to do with status for me. I don't drive the C7Z for status and in fact I picked shark gray when I ordered because it was the least flashy option. I drive it because I like driving it.

As far as the finances, this isn't a "money is not a factor" situation either but I am blessed to have the means to have some wonderful options. Back of the napkin my current C7Z is worth low $60's in trade so moving to the ZL1 is about a $10K upcharge. If the ZR1 were out today I'd estimate that I'm looking at a $50-60K upcharge to go there and I'm sure the first year will be at MSRP. The C7Z will continue to depreciate over the next year but clearly not as much as it has. The 1LE will likely also depreciate but perhaps will hold its value given the limited status and folks paying over MSRP. In the end I might end up paying $10K now but getting most of that back out when you factor in the depreciations. If moving to the ZL1 has me happy waiting another year for the ZR1 it will probably save me money once the rebates kick in.

I think very highly of jvp and his advice carries a kit if weight but I'm not sure if equating the Zl1 1LE to the gen 2 CTS-V is a fair comparison. They are similar in that they are both cars with back seats but I've driven a SS 1LE on track and it feels very much like a Corvette. This also isn't a case of me trying to find one car to rule them all. In fact, the 1LE will probably we worse as a street car than the Z06 and I know that going in. I suspect we're going to spend a lot of time discussing this at the track next week.

Finally, I'll be honest that I'm getting kind of bored with the Z06. I've pretty much reached my limit with the car and not to sound arrogant but I can drive around pretty much any other car on track with it. I've become a much better driver over the last 2 1/2 years because I loved that car and wanted to prove to the naysayers just how capable it was. Perhaps it's time to do the same with the Camaro.

I'm still very undecided on this and am greatly enjoying the debate. If I wait long enough someone else will buy that car and I won't have to make the decision.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:41 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I think very highly of jvp and his advice carries a kit if weight but I'm not sure if equating the Zl1 1LE to the gen 2 CTS-V is a fair comparison.
That wasn't my point, of course. More that: it's not a Corvette, and your tracking experience as mainly been: in a Corvette.

I've driven a SS 1LE on track and it feels very much like a Corvette.
Now here's where I think you're sorta deluding yourself. There's no chance in hell that an SS 1LE "feels very much like a Corvette" on a track. The shape, aero, weight distribution, and mass are all counting very much against the Camaro in that regard.

I suspect we're going to spend a lot of time discussing this at the track next week.
Possibly. But you're not going to listen to what I say because I suspect you've actually already made up your mind. ;-)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Guys that are trackers (esp hardcore) almost never seem to be concerned with status. Any1 that read your (OP's) posts (prior this thread) probably already had this figured out .

Stating that the ZR1 was a future option clearly meant budget wasn't a concern.

I'm all for this transition as I was huge fan of the Z28 and strongly considered buying 1. I went on a spirited drive with a guy who owns 1 (and was a track rat) and became more of a fan seeing the car being operated in the right hands.

Poor Sha you don't sound arrogant at all, in fact gives me a lot to look forward to being that I just picked up my 17.

If you do make this transition, like another posted said, please come here and let us know exactly where we can see your progress. Again, best of luck.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:07 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't agree with your math. I think you will take a depreciation hit on the C7Z, you will end up paying a premium for an early ZL1 1LE, and you will take another depreciation hit when you trade the ZL1 for a ZR1. From a financial perspective it makes the most sense to keep what you have and maybe purchase an extended warranty while waiting for the ZR1 to become available and affordable.

With that being said, it sounds like you want a new car and you want to try something different, which sounds cool as long as you can afford it.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

We aren't talking about a Gen 2 CTS-V here. And we aren't talking about a going from a Huracan to a Gallardo. Whoever made that comparison doesn't understand either line of cars.

The Alpha platform is GM's best work yet in my opinion and most people who have driven it will probably say the same. And this isn't a regular ZL1 either. Max cooling, DSSV suspension with adjustable ride height, solid-mounted front struts, adjustable camber plates, a hard-mounted rear cradle, and an adjustable rear anti-roll bar, full aero, Supercar 3R tires, 650hp, etc. There's really nothing that needs to be done to the car. Just get out there and run. It's more prepared for the track than any Corvette available right now until the ZR1 debuts. I know almost everyone here is a Corvette fan and have their ego wrapped up into the car but if you take a step back, this move makes sense.

Hell, there are guys on the Porsche GT3 forum that have them on order as well.

Last edited by Kappa; 05-26-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:21 AM
2017ZO6
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
What's more silly is your continuing to think that our ZO6's are the "end all" for all performance cars....and even more silly bringing up budget when OP expressed that the new ZR1 is another target of his.
I would guess OP would smoke you in that "muscle car" against you in your "supercar"??? Try tracking sometime, it will humble you.

Exactly guys.
Good luck with the ZL1 humbling my ZO6! It's heavier , less aerodynamic and can't handle as well. It's a budget issue since they are 20000 less than a new Z06
Old 05-26-2017, 10:40 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

2017 ZL1 Camaro vs Z06 Corvette Roll-on Drag Race
Old 05-26-2017, 10:45 AM
2017ZO6
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
2017 ZL1 Camaro vs Z06 Corvette Roll-on Drag Race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D25GwFG1dzk&t=29s
Eactly and the driver was terrible in the ZO6 missing a shift. Put the A8 ZO6 against the ZL1 it will be a total embarrassment!!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:49 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

we're talking road course here. Do you run any east coast tracks and what are your lap times?
The following 6 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
badhabit_wb (05-26-2017), four0nefive (05-26-2017), Les (05-26-2017), OnPoint (05-27-2017), TARANTULA (05-26-2017), Zap City (06-07-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of trading my Z for a Camaro ZL1 1LE

Old 05-26-2017, 10:53 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
What's more silly is your continuing to think that our ZO6's are the "end all" for all performance cars....
I don't think anyone said that it's the "end all", but I also think it's silly to suggest that the ZL1 is going to be a better performance car than the Z06. The numbers don't lie. Some of the debates on this forum just get silly at times.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Good luck with the ZL1 humbling my ZO6! It's heavier , less aerodynamic and can't handle as well. It's a budget issue since they are 20000 less than a new Z06
I suggest that you check your ego at the door and educate yourself. Read the post below about the ZL1 1LE suspension pieces that the regular ZL1 doesn't come with. Then read the article I linked testing the regular ZL1 at the track- read it all. You'll see some things that may make you uncomfortable, but they say that knowledge is power. When you're done, then think about the fact that GM announced that the 1LE package made the ZL1 3 seconds faster than the regular ZL1 per lap- this was at GMs Milford Proving Grounds.
Originally Posted by Kappa
We aren't talking about a Gen 2 CTS-V here. And we aren't talking about a going from a Huracan to a Gallardo. Whoever made that comparison doesn't understand either line of cars.

The Alpha platform is GM's best work yet in my opinion and most people who have driven it will probably say the same. And this isn't a regular ZL1 either. Max cooling, DSSV suspension with adjustable ride height, solid-mounted front struts, adjustable camber plates, a hard-mounted rear cradle, and an adjustable rear anti-roll bar, full aero, Supercar 3R tires, 650hp, etc. There's really nothing that needs to be done to the car. Just get out there and run. It's more prepared for the track than any Corvette available right now until the ZR1 debuts. I know almost everyone here is a Corvette fan and have their ego wrapped up into the car but if you take a step back, this move makes sense.

Hell, there are guys on the Porsche GT3 forum that have them on order as well.
Article about regular ZL1-
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...e-squad-goals/

Last edited by Les; 05-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:57 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

FYI
The z06 driver almost missed a shift on the run and although he shifted late he still recovered nicely.

Hennessey Performance Comments:
Hey guys thanks for the good feedback. We ran the cars 6 times and it was close every time. Yes the Z06 was beginning to pull away from the ZL1 at the end. But the ZL1 stayed nearly even to 120 mph and at 130 the Z06 was only a half a car length ahead. The Z06 spun on the 2-3 shift on this run but not on a few of the other runs. Both are great cars in stock form. We have nothing to gain by sandbagging the Z06 to make the ZL1 look better. If anything we wished the Z06 was a lot faster as to make ZL1 guys want to upgrade their cars even more. As it turns out, it may be the other way around now as Z06 owners don't want to have a ZL1 run that close!

Eactly and the driver was terrible in the ZO6 missing a shift. Put the A8 ZO6 against the ZL1 it will be a total embarrassment!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my Z for a Camaro ZL1 1LE