C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

No such thing as too much HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Javo757
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No such thing as too much HP

Just took delivery of my 2017 Callaway Z06. Anyone know what mods can be done while keeping warranty in place? I'm assuming exhaust changes are okay since Callaway exhaust is an option for the 757 package.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:13 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

You may get some answers here but if it were me I would just call Callaway.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:08 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I don't know you, so this isn't personal, it applies to anyone with 1 post and a new Z06:

1st Mod is the Driver Mod

Go do spring mountain, start attending some HPDE days, maybe even autocross. Get out there in the vehicle and you'll find that you're the limiting factor in every way except when roll racing. When roll racing, you're essentially ballast and just along for the ride.

In every other case, the performance of the car is dependent on how you operate at, and the lowest hanging fruit in all cases is your skill level, which is the easiest thing to improve on in the whole car.

Unless, of course, the point actually is solely roll racing (though I hope note). Then you've already got a car with all the mods it needs built in already!

It's been almost two decades now, but my first time on a road course (back in a Supercharged C4 even) the whole time I was thinking "This car is built for, and capable of, so much more than what I've been doing with it". So that's when I decided that I'd start with a fast car and then add ability as I could.

Last edited by davepl; 05-29-2017 at 11:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davepl:
AZDANZ06 (05-29-2017), jbsblownc5 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Seems like every 10 years we add a ton more hp and people always say that the weak link is the driver and blah blah and we can never use all the power blah blah. in the 80s the top stock vettes (except the Sledge hammer) were < 300. in the 90s about 400, in the 2K it was about 500 then 650 now 757 (or 808 for the Demon). Assume that you can use X% of a car's potential in a given situation.
X(650) < X(757). and guess what.... it is also < X(+757). I did the 'typical' full boltons to my SC757 and went from 658rwhp/600+ rwtq to 811rwhp/801rwtq and I like the car better on the whole but there are some compromises and things get expensive quickly. If you drive a stock Z06 and then drive ur 757 it is a big difference and much more fun even if u still can't use all of it.....AND the next level feels really cool.
I also wanted to use Callaway to take mine beyond the SC757 and they wanted nothing to do with it but they are good guys that stand behind their original upgrade. Enjoy and good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Silver05:
cvp33 (05-29-2017), jbsblownc5 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 01:23 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

What? You mean we have no warranty now? The hell you say..
Adam, what kind of boost numbers are you logging and what lower pulley are you using? Thanks,

John
Old 05-29-2017, 01:25 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Good input here!!

For me, I like having the car more capable then I, it keeps me alive. I do drive all my Vettes pretty hard, but will quickly admit that a "REAL" racer could always go faster then me in any one of my cars on a road course...

I really do like having stupid power available to me when I want "roll race", not that I do that very often, or just feel the power on the straights! We all have that simple option to just go part throttle and use what we need at any given time, the go pedal basically controls the boost/power...

As long as I have good cooling, brakes, suspension, and plenty of power, I don't have to be the best driver on the track to go fast!!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:06 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Go to Spring Mountain and attend the school where Instructors will kill you in Camaro SS's while you are following them in a Z06, then take a ride with the Instructor in a Z06 and you can see what these cars bone stock at 650 HP can do on a track. Unless you are after straight line performance, you will never (as a decent driver) be able to drive a C7 Z06 to it's potential. The Instructor Blake that I rode with could drive, almost scared me how fast he pushed the Z06 around the track with absolutely no nannies turned on, it gave me huge respect for these cars to say the least.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 PM
2017ZO6
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Go to Spring Mountain and attend the school where Instructors will kill you in Camaro SS's while you are following them in a Z06, then take a ride with the Instructor in a Z06 and you can see what these cars bone stock at 650 HP can do on a track. Unless you are after straight line performance, you will never (as a decent driver) be able to drive a C7 Z06 to it's potential. The Instructor Blake that I rode with could drive, almost scared me how fast he pushed the Z06 around the track with absolutely no nannies turned on, it gave me huge respect for these cars to say the least.
These cars have awesome power stock. I am into straight line acceleration so I will be doing all the bolt ons to make around 750HP. Then maybe throw in some E85 down the road. 😀
Old 05-30-2017, 01:05 AM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
What? You mean we have no warranty now? The hell you say..
Adam, what kind of boost numbers are you logging and what lower pulley are you using? Thanks,

John
Nothing ported, stock upper and IW 9% lower. Not sure how much boost..busy watching Lambda and haven't been logging.

If they can beat the Z06 at Spring Mount with a slower car, imagine how much worse it could be with less power and possibly how much (slightly or otherwise) better it could be with more power. I don't like the argument that because a better driver is faster than the owner in a slower car the owner is foolish to want more power. Why can't he work on his driving and increase hp concurrently? Heaven forbid that a lesser driver gain an advantage through improving the car. And shame on the owner who wants to go fast in a straight line....NOT
JHEBERT (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 01:39 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
I've done 2 trips to Spring Mountain, and it's the best accessory you can get for your new ZO6. Learn how to drive it and what the car is capable of on a Race track in someone else's car. I know a lot of guys with newer Vettes who didn't take advantage of the School, and a couple who wrecked their brand new cars because they weren't as good as they thought they were. Don't make the mistake, especially with that extra HP, if you can afford the car, you can afford the trip to Spring Mountain, you'll be glad you did.
AZDANZ06 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:46 AM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Javo757
Just took delivery of my 2017 Callaway Z06. Anyone know what mods can be done while keeping warranty in place? I'm assuming exhaust changes are okay since Callaway exhaust is an option for the 757 package.
Nice first post and and congrats on the new car.

I'm sure Chris at Callaway could answer your questions regarding mods and warranty. For the most part no modifications to the engine, Callaway components or immediate exhaust components such as the manifolds or removal of primary cats (i.e headers). Also, no re-tuning of the vehicle which would remove or change the tune installed to the ECM by Callaway. I think you would be ok with an x-pipe and and an axle back system but its not my call.

Post pics of the car!
Old 05-30-2017, 12:13 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by breakskeet
Nice first post and and congrats on the new car.

I'm sure Chris at Callaway could answer your questions regarding mods and warranty. For the most part no modifications to the engine, Callaway components or immediate exhaust components such as the manifolds or removal of primary cats (i.e headers). Also, no re-tuning of the vehicle which would remove or change the tune installed to the ECM by Callaway. I think you would be ok with an x-pipe and and an axle back system but its not my call.

Post pics of the car!
breakskeet (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm one of those that believe that if you can afford it, buy all the horsepower you want.

But, there comes a point where you can't take advantage of all that horsepower.

What good is it being able to afford 4,000 horsepower if you can't use but 600 of it because of tire limitations, etc.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:48 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

How long did you have the Callaway before you got used to the power and decided to want more?

How long did you have your Z06 before you decided to send it to Callaway?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't think the OP is coming back.

Looks like one and done for Javo757.
Z06NJ (06-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To No such thing as too much HP

Quick Reply: No such thing as too much HP