C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Constant manual mode use A8

Old 06-04-2017, 11:02 AM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

As an update to my original inquiry, I just ordered a Range AFM disabler and the on/off switch. I want the constant jockeying between A4 and A8 to stop but not by using the manual trans. mode all the time. Looking forward to receiving the pieces and plugging them in. Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:10 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

I am a little surprised by this thread, as I have never felt that I could detect a shift from V8 to V4 mode. It may be that I am not in a driving mode to let it happen. I usually use Sport and manual shifting around town, and tour in Drive for highway cruising. Have never noticed V4 mode if it has been happening. On my recent 2,600 mile road trip, I often used Eco mode on the highway and switched my screen from Performance to Info and mileage. On that screen there is a V4 indicator that I was surprised to realize that it simply did not come on a lot, and when it did it was hardly noticeable. I thought it would come on on a long gradual down hill run but it did not; stayed in V8 the whole way, to aid engine braking I guess. But overall I don't ever recall noticing a switch between V8 and V4 modes. About 7,000 miles so far.--Bob
Old 06-04-2017, 08:12 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I bought a Range Tech device in December for my Sept bought 2016 and only used it for a couple of days. It worked well but I have been using the Paddles and M mode about 99% of the time, so don't need the Range device any longer.

I would be happy to pass it on to someone for half price if anyone wants to try one.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:11 AM
taylosw
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I just purchased my A8 2017 Z06 2LZ and I have driven it in Manual Mode ever since I got it (except the first 50 miles when I forgot) due to the V4 concerns. Thankfully it's my weekend car and I don't run into much traffic.

The best thing is - you only have to up shift and you can pretty much do that when you want. It will down shift itself and is completely fine for the car to do that on it's own.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 AM
TweetieEagle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I cannot see someone purchasing a Z06 and wanting to be conservative. If you wanted that, you should have stayed in your MooseTang and leave the the Vettes to the Big Boys. Notwithstanding, who wants to sound like a weiner going down the street?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by TweetieEagle
Personally, I cannot see someone purchasing a Z06 and wanting to be conservative. If you wanted that, you should have stayed in your MooseTang and leave the the Vettes to the Big Boys. Notwithstanding, who wants to sound like a weiner going down the street?
What sort of noise does a wiener make?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I'm the one that's always on these threads saying "Doesn't bug me", but it's starting to a little since I installed the Corsa midpipe, which makes the V4 exhaust rumble that much more noticeable.

It's not actually a bad sound, but I don't like the mental notion that its coasting down in V4 mode for some reason.

I'd like to turn it off, but don't want to kill my battery and my understanding is the the little plugin module will do that.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Dave,

As long as you use a switched cord and remember to turn it off when you won't be driving for 3 days or more it isn't a problem; it doesn't draw that much current when it wakes up in standby mode so if you are driving your C7 regularly it won't be an issue even if you don't turn it off every time you stop. And you can turn it on after start up.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:16 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I am not sure if the new version kills the battery. I left mine in for several days, more than 3, with no issue. I added the switch and sometimes forget to turn it off and it has never killed the battery.

Dave, I am trading the car and going manual for now. Do you want to buy my Range? I am pretty sure its still the newest version.

Last edited by djnice; 06-23-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

I know it's not exactly a hardship to buy a switched cable and remember to turn it off each time, but I want a "Set it and forget it" solution...
Old 06-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Does Eco mode automatically keep in in 4 cylinders for the auto z06?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:19 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by desibaba
Does Eco mode automatically keep in in 4 cylinders for the auto z06?
Eco mode for the auto forces it into V4 more frequently than it does in other driving modes AND allows V4 operation even in manual shift mode.

Too bad GM didn't provide a "non-eco" mode for the A8 to prevent V4 but I guess they prefer putting their warranty dollars and owner's inconvenience into using their still not ready for prime time DoD/AFM system.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Eco mode for the auto forces it into V4 more frequently than it does in other driving modes AND allows V4 operation even in manual shift mode.

Too bad GM didn't provide a "non-eco" mode for the A8 to prevent V4 but I guess they prefer putting their warranty dollars and owner's inconvenience into using their still not ready for prime time DoD/AFM system.
If you are in eco mode and floor it will all the power come on?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

As far as I've been able to tell, so far.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:09 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Sure, the power is available almost instantly.

Problems with V4 mode are:
1. Torque converter issues with A8 due to modulating the converter clutch to reduce vibration while in V4 mode.
2. Potential uneven cylinder wear as the miles mount, a problem that has been found by other companies using these displacement on demand systems where the same cylinders are always shut down. Delphi is working on a new system which randomly assigns cylinder shutdown to avoid this issue. Not a concern if you don't plan to hold onto your Z06.
3. Supposedly the oil consumption issue that shows up at higher miles was addressed in this version of DoD (now known as AFM) but from a company that is now on at least revision 3 of the A8 torque converter I would want empirical data as the miles build up before I accept this as fact.

Given the known and potential issues I am avoiding the use of this system.

And of course problem 4 is inclusion of AFM constrained the LT1 and LT4 from being all that they could have been without the constraints and complications imposed by AFM. The special push rods, plumbing, and control system for AFM add weight to the engine; in LT1 form it also means a heavier steel torque tube to absorb vibration and "noise" valves in the exhaust to improve V4 mode sound. The collapsible pushrods used for the AFM cylinders required a reduced maximum RPM. The VVT system is also constrained from its full normal range of adjustment because of limitations of the AFM system.

Last edited by NSC5; 06-22-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I spend most of my time in "D", but occasionally go to the manual mode if I'm feeling "frisky." Maybe I'm getting old and don't have cat-like reflexes anymore, but I honestly think mine's faster in "D."
Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I spend most of my time in "D", but occasionally go to the manual mode if I'm feeling "frisky." Maybe I'm getting old and don't have cat-like reflexes anymore, but I honestly think mine's faster in "D."
It is definitely faster in D, the computer is far better at timing shifts than any human and it can pre-stage the clutch packs perfectly in anticipation of the shift. In a Z06 RPM increase in first gear is so fast at full throttle that perfectly timing the shift to second manually will always involve a good measure of luck.
The following users liked this post:
DevilDog II (06-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Constant manual mode use A8

Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,966 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by richie15
I was wondering if anyone with an A8 trans uses the manual shift mode all the time to avoid the constant back and forth between V4 and V8. It's really noticeable with a mild2wild switch where the exhaust is open all the time. I didn't notice it too much before I put the switch in but now it's super annoying.
Yep. Ditto. Moreso since returning from Spring Mountain, but yes the V4 / v8 flip flop "flutter" is really annoying...I've contemplated a ChuckCOW tune to Eliminate it but don't want any warranty issues.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:37 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Your engine will likely last longer without all the DOD nonsense

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Yep. Ditto. Moreso since returning from Spring Mountain, but yes the V4 / v8 flip flop "flutter" is really annoying...I've contemplated a ChuckCOW tune to Eliminate it but don't want any warranty issues.
Your engine will likely last longer without all the DOD nonsense and premature converter lockup .....along with early shifts.....

Not fun to drive and likely killing it too.

Chuck CoW
Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

If you're willing to void your warranty with an aftermarket tune, it's 10 seconds to turn off in HPTuners!

I've currently go my DOD so it doesn't kick in until 99km/hr (or about 61mph).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Constant manual mode use A8