C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

847 miles later 2016 Z06 Transmission Failure #2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:23 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

Default 847 miles later 2016 Z06 Transmission Failure #2!!!

For those not familiar here is the original thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-failure.html

(Cliffnotes from the original thread: purchased brand new Z06 2LZ off the dealer floor. Drove 607 miles and had catastrophic transmission failure. Dealer/GM REFUSED to replace my transmission and did a "repair").

So I finally had the opportunity to drive the car for a few days, the first trip was to the dealership to do a 500-mile service (that the Original Dealership DID NOT DO). I also had them investigate why the car felt like it was a crab boat on the Bering Sea at any speed above 100mph. Comes to find out that the alignment was off on the rear end of the car as well as the front (Original dealer that did the work did not align my car) and when I say "off" it was significant enough for the dealer to say he's surprised I was even able to go that fast without losing it. After that was rectified the car drove 200% better but with rain coming in that day I wanted to take the car home and once again garage it. Eventually I was able to take the car on a few trips with the wife as weather permitted and "almost" was to the point of actually enjoying the car again without worrying....

Fast forward:

Well now with 851 miles put on the car AFTER the REPAIR to my transmission, history repeats itself and the transmission is toast yet again.

Any pedal input past 25% sends the RPMs to Redline for 2/3/4 gear and puts the car into gear. Any WOT attempts immediately sends the car to redline for each gear without the speed to match and no tire spin Basically coasting and the car shifts at redline THEN engages a gear.

From a dead stop, you give it gas the car free revs (with minimal movement for example from a traffic light hit the accelerator car moves but RPMs go into the 4-5k range I let off and go back in the gas feels like it's in Neutral then engages with forward momentum. The only way to NOT have massive slip is to keep the pedal below 25% (ie tickle the accelerator then when it gets moving give it a little more and then it engages but even with that method you can still feel loads of slip.

So now the car goes back to the dealership (a different one this time) for hopefully a new transmission.

If this is NOT the case 3rd time will be a charm as I plan on pursuing the Lemon Law as needless to say, I'm about fed up with this bullshit, sorry for the rant but as I stated before I KNEW in my gut that this car required a new transmission but was NOT pursued due to the dealer wanting to cash in on a repair rather than a replacement.

And by the laundry list of parts that were purchased for the "repair", it tells me once again that the dealership wanted the repair rate (the parts list was basically a full rebuild of my transmission, not just 2 clutch packs and a servo).

Oh, and the dealership name is Coggin Chevrolet at the Avenues in Jacksonville, FL Service advisor Randy Cygan GM John Hipp.

Last edited by The Rock1; 06-05-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:27 AM
ray soletic
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heart break when this happens. I've been there . I used the the Lemon law , it was slow but with good outcome. Hang in there!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Sad to hear. The C7 and the C7 Z06 are great cars. It's too bad that some of them have been plagued by the A8 issues, both transmission and torque converters. I'm sure GM will be happy when the A10 is integrated into the majority of the new models. Unfortunately, I don't think the C7 will see it.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Either Lemon law or new tranny this time. I'm sure GM won't fight you this time. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:30 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The new transmission route should make the work happen more quickly.

Good Luck getting back in your car.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:35 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I expected from your first thread outcome that the dealership wasn't going to end up with curing the problem via rebuild. Properly rebuilding a seriously damaged automatic transmission is at the bottom of the list of things I would expect success from out of a dealership. It is one thing to replace a single defective solenoid or even an entire valve body in the transmission but once something is damaged (like a destroyed clutch pack) then everything needs to be assembled and meticulously cleaned and inspected.

It should have gotten a new transmission in the first place and unless GM tech support has completely lost it you will get a new one this time. Your transmission clearly had a defect from the start and the service department attempted repair clearly was a stunning but not unexpected failure.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:42 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

How frustrating. Definitely a lemon.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:46 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Get a GM Zone Rep involved and demand a NEW transmission or a new car. Don't let this same stealership install it, if you get a new tranny. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by capevettes:
dmoneychris (06-29-2017), The Rock1 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 01:56 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

And make damned sure that the transmission coolers and cooler lines are properly flushed before they install the new transmission or it will end up with another failure over time.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:23 PM
The Rock1
Racer

Just coincidently got off the phone the with GM rep. that was "handling my case.. Conversation starts out as you can imagine the long "textbook" schpeel how GM wants you to be happy and we realize that you requested numerous times for a replacement that GM doesn't follow that standard as they repair first to save costs etc. etc. So we are calling to see if your car has been repaired to your satisfaction or is it still being repaired as we had not heard back from Coggin and the case is sitting opened.

Seems that the dealership left my case opened and was sitting on the days. Though they (GM Customer Service) didn't say that directly they eluded to the fact that they have been trying to get an answer from Coggin for the past 2 weeks whether or not the car was done or not and have not received a response.

This is where after she was done I told her the wonderful news that Yes my car was completed but guess what the transmission is shot AGAIN... (silence on the phone) Then I went on an extended, thorough and calm explanation of how we came to this day and how extremely dissatisfied I am with GM and Coggin as well as the time for games between the dealership, GM and customer is done and I will not accept anything less then a FULL replacement of my transmission or they can expect the car to be bought back as I am done with the bullshit. The conversation went on for a good 45 min with her taking notes as we went along (I can tell she was because unlike the other rep she repeated back everything that was discussed so that's a step in the right direction.)

In the end, I'm to the point where if this isn't replaced and I am not satisfied I will go all out and do whatever I have to in order for GM to Buy Back this car back.

So far my car has been in the shop from 08:44 am 05/01/17 until 12:04 pm 05/19/17. That eludes to the car being down for more than 15 days and is well on its way to the 40 days of nonconformity 06/16/17 this fits the bill for a Lemon Law suit.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:00 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Stick to your guns and be persistent and you will land on your feet on this. I went through a buy back. If they replace the tranny, great. If not, a buyback may be in your future. It's not fun, but in the end you will be satisfied. Hang in there.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rock1
For those not familiar here is the original thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-failure.html

(Cliffnotes from the original thread: purchased brand new Z06 2LZ off the dealer floor. Drove 607 miles and had catastrophic transmission failure. Dealer/GM REFUSED to replace my transmission and did a "repair").

So I finally had the opportunity to drive the car for a few days, the first trip was to the dealership to do a 500-mile service (that the Original Dealership DID NOT DO). I also had them investigate why the car felt like it was a crab boat on the Bering Sea at any speed above 100mph. Comes to find out that the alignment was off on the rear end of the car as well as the front (Original dealer that did the work did not align my car) and when I say "off" it was significant enough for the dealer to say he's surprised I was even able to go that fast without losing it. After that was rectified the car drove 200% better but with rain coming in that day I wanted to take the car home and once again garage it. Eventually I was able to take the car on a few trips with the wife as weather permitted and "almost" was to the point of actually enjoying the car again without worrying....

Fast forward:

Well now with 851 miles put on the car AFTER the REPAIR to my transmission, history repeats itself and the transmission is toast yet again.

Any pedal input past 25% sends the RPMs to Redline for 2/3/4 gear and puts the car into gear. Any WOT attempts immediately sends the car to redline for each gear without the speed to match and no tire spin Basically coasting and the car shifts at redline THEN engages a gear.

From a dead stop, you give it gas the car free revs (with minimal movement for example from a traffic light hit the accelerator car moves but RPMs go into the 4-5k range I let off and go back in the gas feels like it's in Neutral then engages with forward momentum. The only way to NOT have massive slip is to keep the pedal below 25% (ie tickle the accelerator then when it gets moving give it a little more and then it engages but even with that method you can still feel loads of slip.

So now the car goes back to the dealership (a different one this time) for hopefully a new transmission.

If this is NOT the case 3rd time will be a charm as I plan on pursuing the Lemon Law as needless to say, I'm about fed up with this bullshit, sorry for the rant but as I stated before I KNEW in my gut that this car required a new transmission but was NOT pursued due to the dealer wanting to cash in on a repair rather than a replacement.

And by the laundry list of parts that were purchased for the "repair", it tells me once again that the dealership wanted the repair rate (the parts list was basically a full rebuild of my transmission, not just 2 clutch packs and a servo).

Oh, and the dealership name is Coggin Chevrolet at the Avenues in Jacksonville, FL Service advisor Randy Cygan GM John Hipp.
that sucks.trade the car.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:55 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

hang in there. i feel like they're will replace the entire trans this time. make sure you ask them to confirm its a new trans from the line not a reman unit. AND converter.

And demand that they change the trans cooler and flush the lines... if you don't you will have another failure
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Really a bad, or sad story. Really.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:03 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Ford at one point had a highly failure prone automatic used with their diesel pickups and after many repeat repairs they required the dealer to both flush the lines AND install an additional inline filter with the new transmission. I agree with 16/C7Z that replacing rather than flushing the coolers themselves is needed since it is very difficult to properly clean a cooler (and there are two in your Z06). I haven't seen the filter in the A8 but I suspect it is like most automatic transmission filters and is better at catching large parts and pieces rather than cleaning the fluid since it is generally in there for the life of the transmission and cannot filter too finely without clogging. The Allison auto that GM uses in their diesel powered heavy duty pickups has a spin on filter that does provide high quality filtration but it has to be changed at regular and frequent intervals while it has the same style coarse pan filter as other automatics.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:03 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

After they resolve this mess, call a lemon law lawyer anyway... I had issues with my new ford mustang and after they fixed it, I decided to contact a lawyer and he got me 7K back for my time... of course after his cut I netted 4600... damn lawyers.. lol
The following users liked this post:
The Rock1 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 08:27 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Default Update 6/09/17

Heard back from the dealership yesterday and they are trying/pushing for factory new transmission from GM. Hopefully, I will hear something back by EOD.

Get notified of new replies

To 847 miles later 2016 Z06 Transmission Failure #2!!!

Old 06-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Maybe I'm just paranoid... I'd be strongly pushing for a new car. Lord only knows what else could have been damaged while over-revving, slipping in and out of gear, etc... I'd get in it every day wondering if today was the day the trans or something else failed.
I hope they resolve it to your satisfaction...
Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 PM
14Z51lbj1021
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 14 Z51 from Gordon Chevy on Blanding Blvd in Jacksonville. Now have a 16 Z06 (bought elsewhere). Gordon has serviced both my cars very well. They have two mechanics, so I am told, with Corvette training. You may be stuck with Coggin, only you know that.

Dealer repairs are "Russian Roulette" to say the least. As others have stated, replacing coolers and flushing lines is absolutely necessary as I'm sure they are contaminated with all kinds of junk. If this was not done after the first "repair", it may have contributed to the second failure. Replacing old transmission with new one is bolts and connections. I just don't believe many Dealerships have mechanics with the ability to go inside the transmission and make competent repairs. Good luck, stick with it. Warranty is on your side.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:29 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by pkincy
The new transmission route should make the work happen more quickly.

Good Luck getting back in your car.
:

............................And Fight for a new trans. and you should be able to get one. My 16 C7 Z with A8 trans. (since traded in for a Viper ACR) had a complete tranny failure and stranded me on the road with 6,200 mile son the clock and GM gave me a new tranny the first time around and this is what you should be able to get.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 06-11-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 847 miles later 2016 Z06 Transmission Failure #2!!!