C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Service Rear Axle message

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 AM
jnvetteaus
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Rear Axle message

I have just had error "Service Rear Axle" while on track and could not use PTM - car limped back to pits and no more caring that day.
I need to read computer to understand issues. Does anyone know how I can get hold of good quality deep scanning tool?
I live in Australia and there are "NO" Corvette dealers. My car is unsupported here in Australia.
I have a 2105 C7 Z06 A8.
Any help appreciated.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:51 AM
repo czar
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jnvetteaus
I have just had error "Service Rear Axle" while on track and could not use PTM - car limped back to pits and no more caring that day.
I need to read computer to understand issues. Does anyone know how I can get hold of good quality deep scanning tool?
I live in Australia and there are "NO" Corvette dealers. My car is unsupported here in Australia.
I have a 2105 C7 Z06 A8.
Any help appreciated.
I got the same message two weeks ago on my 2015 C7 Z06 A8. I took it to the dealer and they connected the computer and said there were no codes. They said it must be a sensor that was wet and I didn't have to do anything. I have never gotten the error message again.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

G'day mate!!

Sorry to hear of your problem, but it's not uncommon - and the fix may have nothing at all to do with the rear axle!!

My brother-in-law had the "Service Rear Axle" alert last year and I did a search here on the forum for what the problem may be - and I was surprised that most everybody that gets that message has an entirely different issue.

In many cases the Service Rear Axle message has turned out to be a problem with an injector or spark plug wire!!!

I told my b-in-law that, but he thought I was crazy that a Service Rear Axle alert meant an engine problem - but he had it towed to the dealer and they replaced a couple fuel injectors, and no more problem for many thousands of miles now.

Take a look at these threads - and do a search and you'll probably find a lot more relating the Service Rear Axle message to injector or spark plug problems:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-light.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-and-cel.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-problem.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dy-please.html

Good luck finding the problem, but the past experience of forum members is that the Service Rear Axle message may indicate a problem in a totally unrelated area!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-06-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a 2105 C7 Z06 A8.
Any help appreciated.
that happened to my 2015 - A8 - Z06 - back at 4500 miles - in addition to not being able to access PTM, the car would engage the brakes (StabilTrac light flashing) while entering the mildest of turns (extremely annoying) as it slowed you down

i had to wait 2000 miles (as the approval process ensued) before they replaced the entire Rear Differential - they did not waste time with fluid changes, computer codes, nor anything else...they just simply replaced it - no issue since then (regarding Service Rear Axle) - 35,000 miles now - and only a stressed cracked windshield to deal with...thankfully warranty replacement approved
Old 06-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Ahmed_otb
ICE enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I had a similar problem and it was a battery issue, changed the battery and never had it
The following users liked this post:
s n v f f (08-31-2021)
Old 06-07-2017, 12:01 AM
jnvetteaus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BEZ06
G'day mate!!

Sorry to hear of your problem, but it's not uncommon - and the fix may have nothing at all to do with the rear axle!!

My brother-in-law had the "Service Rear Axle" alert last year and I did a search here on the forum for what the problem may be - and I was surprised that most everybody that gets that message has an entirely different issue.

In many cases the Service Rear Axle message has turned out to be a problem with an injector or spark plug wire!!!

I told my b-in-law that, but he thought I was crazy that a Service Rear Axle alert meant an engine problem - but he had it towed to the dealer and they replaced a couple fuel injectors, and no more problem for many thousands of miles now.

Take a look at these threads - and do a search and you'll probably find a lot more relating the Service Rear Axle message to injector or spark plug problems:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-light.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-and-cel.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-problem.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...dy-please.html

Good luck finding the problem, but the past experience of forum members is that the Service Rear Axle message may indicate a problem in a totally unrelated area!!

Thanks for the feedback. I will chase the links!!
I am just looking to see if we can read any codes to provide some direction. Very hard to chase all the various possible sources of the error. I am looking to get an OTC Encore Diagnostic Tool to see if we can isolate the cause.
Big problem for me - NO WARRANTY! Corvette not an approved import into Australia.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:02 AM
jnvetteaus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ahmed_otb
I had a similar problem and it was a battery issue, changed the battery and never had it

How did you isolate the problem to the battery?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:10 AM
jnvetteaus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Rd16rr
that happened to my 2015 - A8 - Z06 - back at 4500 miles - in addition to not being able to access PTM, the car would engage the brakes (StabilTrac light flashing) while entering the mildest of turns (extremely annoying) as it slowed you down

i had to wait 2000 miles (as the approval process ensued) before they replaced the entire Rear Differential - they did not waste time with fluid changes, computer codes, nor anything else...they just simply replaced it - no issue since then (regarding Service Rear Axle) - 35,000 miles now - and only a stressed cracked windshield to deal with...thankfully warranty replacement approved

No warranty on this car so if a new diff is needed then I need to buy it and import to AUS. Not my preferred option!!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:11 AM
jnvetteaus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by repo czar
I got the same message two weeks ago on my 2015 C7 Z06 A8. I took it to the dealer and they connected the computer and said there were no codes. They said it must be a sensor that was wet and I didn't have to do anything. I have never gotten the error message again.

That would be a great outcome - not confident that will happen here.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Rd16rr
Pro

No warranty on this car so if a new diff is needed then I need to buy it and import to AUS. Not my preferred option!!
2015 in the USA has a 3yr warranty
Old 06-07-2017, 06:22 PM
jnvetteaus
Heel & Toe

Warranty not applicable in Australia - the car is unsupported right out of the box. Hard to find a tuner that can read all the codes, especially the driveline codes.

In Australia the car is called a black import and we have it converted from left hand drive to right hand side.

When the car is error free and not pulling timing due to temps she is great car but with errors and timing being pulled you might as well be driving a Prius!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Rd16rr
Pro

i can understand that you have your hands full - just getting the car to Australia and thru customs had to be a chore unto itself - not even thinking about Left to Right Hand Drive !!

i've had my car since new (May 2015) and have had quite a few service visits...all issues resolved, but without my dealer, and their support from GM directly things would not be very smooth at all

i've had:

2 Flex Plates replaced
1 Torque Converter
1 Rear Differential
1 Windshield

none of this would be very easy without GM right there and ready to supply the parts - which usually arrived within the same week as my service visit (rear diff was longest wait at 5 days) - the repairs/replacements were pretty much 1 day affairs, maybe 2 for the first Flex Plate

doing any of this without GM support will be a test of your patience and intestinal fortitude - if you need help try the Customer Service Rep that is on the forums, specifically to help Chevrolet GM products

if i can help u anyway, PM me and i'll see if my dealer can get you a code definition

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cust-svc.html

Last edited by Rd16rr; 06-08-2017 at 12:26 PM.
jnvetteaus (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 AM
king off the hill
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2105 C7 Z06 A8.
Any help appreciated.
The sensor for air and gas change that sensor and you will be ok i had faulty sensor and that caused that message to appear.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:46 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Not in Australia, probably, but I thought the 2015 had a FIVE year powertrain warranty. 3 years bumper to bumper. Longer than the 2016s at this point...
Old 07-26-2017, 02:28 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by king off the hill
The sensor for air and gas change that sensor and you will be ok i had faulty sensor and that caused that message to appear.
Is "king off the hill" for real? Is he talking about the mass airflow sensor or the o2 sensor?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Originally Posted by djnice
Is "king off the hill" for real? Is he talking about the mass airflow sensor or the o2 sensor?
...my Service Rear Axle message got the Rear Differential replaced - thats the only thing that cleared it
Old 07-26-2017, 02:37 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Had the same thing last year. Z07 M7.
First they did a system reflash and update, problem came back. Had a dead battery next, loose cable was found. Once that was fixed, haven't seen the error since. Like others , when I researched found many different causes. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Service Rear Axle message

Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

In Australia the car is called a black import and we have it converted from left hand drive to right hand side.
Why do you have it converted from left-side to right-side drive? Is it the law there that cars need to be right-side drive?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:14 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

...my Service Rear Axle message got the Rear Differential replaced - thats the only thing that cleared it
I noticed that. I haven't found anyone with the exact same symptoms as mine.

What is happening to mine is the following:
1. When it gets hot out, around 85F. The first thing I notice is the diff is not locking correctly. It reacts slow to a wheels spinning in a corner and starts locking late.
2. When it gets a bit hotter or I have stopped driving for 20 min or so. Then the diff completely stops locking and runs as open diff with 0% on eLSD screen. No service rear axle message yet.
3. Next as it gets hotter outside, say 90F, the service parking brake light comes on followed by the "service rear axle" message. Once this happens I can't use PTM.
4. I keep driving and stop and restart then the "rear axle system off message" appears. At this point the eLSD screen you get dashes instead of 0%.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 PM
DaveTheWav3
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Fixed: New Alternator

It sounds like this message can be caused by a variety of issues in the electrical system. In my case, the problem was solved by a new alternator. The service manager explained that at mid to high RPM ranges it was generating too much voltage which tripped that message and several other codes. Replacing the alternator fixed the problem for me.
s n v f f (08-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Service Rear Axle message