C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Had GM been a little more crafty at introduction, the A8 could have been programmed to short shift when set to track mode. This would have slowed it down in track mode but it wouldn't overheat and then they could try to place the blame for overheating on those who shifted it manually and let the LT4 run in the RPM range for which it was intended in track use.

Of course the proper and honest approach would have been to release the Z06 with a properly designed cooling system rather than only adding a different grill and slightly more powerful fan to the exact same system used for the LT1 which has much lower horsepower and no intercooler heat exchanger in the cooling stack.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:59 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default The Only question is How Much! ;(

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
So much wrong here. Someone wake me up when we get back to facts Pretty sure I can sell my Z at the same depreciated rate as any other Vette. With the zillion of them out there sold really looks like overheating rumors are affecting anything
Old 06-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Z06PA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
From what I've read, heard Tadge admit to via that Youtube video as well as from first and second hand accounts, the limp mode/overheat seems to affect the A8 with more significance than the M7.
Yes the A8 has issues on the track but I thought Tadge made it clear to either paddle shift or use the M7 if tracking. The issue is the gearing in the A8 makes it faster but it taxes the engine more due to gearing when used in (D) mode. Issues with M7 is most likely very extreme conditions or problems with those specific cars.

When I was at spring mountain one of the head instructors said he can make any car overheat in the right conditions (lambos, porshes, etc) and they don't even run the race cars out there much in the extreme heat months because those have a problem even with all the additional cooling hardware...
The following users liked this post:
BOBSZ06 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,995 Likes on 1,679 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Even if a radiator addition isn't at least pulling timing without the tune, and it can get one by, the A8 owner not having that option is indeed still cornered without at least the new SC. Like I've said a properly documented proper M7 ZO7 failing really should resolve under warranty.
The A8, especially the ZO7, probably needs official clarification, and decision, as what ones expectations rightfully should be would seem to fall in a much more technical realm!
An interesting fact about the A8, unlike the A10, is how detrimental the cars gearing is high speed all by itself in regards to the load and heat!
Half the time, I can't tell if:
A. English is your second language
B. You are responding to the voices in your head.
C. If you are on speed.
D. All of the Above

Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Watch Pobst and MT go full auto in the ZL1! Road Tracking the A8 - No Way!

Originally Posted by Z06PA
Yes the A8 has issues on the track but I thought Tadge made it clear to either paddle shift or use the M7 if tracking. The issue is the gearing in the A8 makes it faster but it taxes the engine more due to gearing when used in (D) mode. Issues with M7 is most likely very extreme conditions or problems with those specific cars.

When I was at spring mountain one of the head instructors said he can make any car overheat in the right conditions (lambos, porshes, etc) and they don't even run the race cars out there much in the extreme heat months because those have a problem even with all the additional cooling hardware...

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-20-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:16 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06PA

And I can bankrupt Bill Gates, extremes and outliers are not used as a baseline for statistical purposes.

Yes, Tadge did say that but the question is, did that suggestion come after people experienced an overheat? or before? is it stated in the manual where the instructions are for track preparedness?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
C. If you are on speed.
D. All of the Above

Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Too much for you is it!? ;)

C. If you are on speed.
D. All of the Above

I'll try to break it down for you more!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-20-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Big Lebowski (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:28 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

A8's is it!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-20-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Why doesn't everyone just get a ZL1 automatic and a Z06 manual? That way we can move on to other topics.
johnglenntwo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:28 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Automotive industry/GOV agreed to safety standards a long time ago. They are well spelled out and (if this is real which I don't think it is...) it will be pretty easy to dismiss the "limp mode causes death" argument.. just like the "Air bag causes death" arguments..

For the air bags causes death we had innocent children...and if that did not work I don't see how a well suited aggressive track guy with Rolex watch (I almost lost my life!! I swear!) is going to do it..!?

So we are left with a "limp mode" equals fraud case...

Once GM links the limp mode to the warranty (turns out to be true) then it is game over.

Results:

No track warranty for those that wanted to track and safeguard the car
AND No track warranty for those that wanted to track and beat the hell of the car to squeeze that last tenth!

I think this could have been handled a bit better..
Porsche does not warrant for track use. Chevy has been a leader in warranting its cars--if left stock--even for track use. I am with you--I think Chevy will end that practice right away....
Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

C. If you are on speed.
D. All of the Above

I can't make much sense out of 95% of "johnglenntwo"s posts either. I wish he'd just go away. Failing that, maybe he could run his proposed posts by someone else, before hitting the "Submit Reply" button.

At this point, I can't call it on whether he's some kind of a nut job, or just has abysmal communication skills.
Big Lebowski (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:00 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Okay, now I know I'm out of line somehow! ;)

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I can't make much sense out of 95% of "johnglenntwo"s posts either. I wish he'd just go away. Failing that, maybe he could run his proposed posts by someone else, before hitting the "Submit Reply" button.

At this point, I can't call it on whether he's some kind of a nut job, or just has abysmal communication skills.
Simply if you recall the Pobst comment comparing the ZL1 A10 to motorcycle shifting.
The A8 gears NSM!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-20-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Simply if recall the Pobst comment comparing the ZL1 A10 to motorcycles shifting. The A8 gears NSM!
Did that make sense to you?
Thanks for being so quick to furnish a convenient example.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

No need to pile on, if you don't like his comments put him on ignore, or maybe take the high road.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default I believe it's English!

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Did that make sense to you?
Thanks for being so quick to furnish a convenient example.
You are the one lacking facts!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-20-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bcmarly
No need to pile on, if you don't like his comments put him on ignore, or maybe take the high road.
Putting him on the ignore list would be great, except that when one puts someone on the ignore list, context for following posts is missing.

I'm quite willing to take the "high road", and cut lots of people lots of slack, but maybe it would be the best thing, for the most people here, if he changed his hobby from prolific forum posting, to making clay pots or something?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Old 06-20-2017, 05:47 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default I agree attacking the A8 is pointless!

I can agree I may go over the line with the details. If guys don't have their big boy pants on it can be distressing! But, I thought this was a Forum for sharing ideas? Feel free to correct my facts. I'm wrong sometimes too! Who knows maybe we will all learn something. In other words: Don't kill the messenger!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-20-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

WOW I cant even comment in this thread. I love my Z flaws and all. I paid full price for it but that's what it is, I'm not wealthy but the car is 10 steps ahead of where I was. I'm driving it for awhile, then will mod everything myself love working on it part of my genetics lol. If I wanted a perfect race car I would have to spend way more than I could afford and on a car that has waaaaay more maintenance than the Z..
Old 06-20-2017, 06:54 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I can agree I may go over the line with the details. If guys don't have their big boy pants on it can be distressing! But, I thought this was a Forum for sharing ideas? Feel free to correct my facts. I'm wrong sometimes too! Who knows maybe we will all learn something. In other words: Don't kill the messenger!
I've refrained from commenting on this very off topic subject but I have to weigh in at this point.

Your posts lack cohesion, are not even half grammatically correct and the points you try to present are eclectic at best, down right disorganized and unrelated at worst.

You should really try reading your posts before submitting them, I'd even go so far as to edit them in a program that can help with corrections like Microsoft Word. Even Google will help in this regard.
johnglenntwo (06-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit