C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by onfire
BMW has been splitting the HX on the M cars for years. Works very well.
So does my Rover... this pic doesn't make it very clear but there are heat exchangers in the front corners, kind of like the LG package, and they then vent into the wheelwell rather than dumping all the heat back into the engine compartment.

It's "only" a 510hp setup, but it works great.

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Then as a programmer, you should try building a race car that works.

Finishing a "track session" does not mean driving around a track a modest speeds and very little full throttle.
A track session means driving with anger on a track in moderate heat.
As a programmer I'd hire someone to build the race car. I do build well-engineered street cars.

I've also finished track sessions in the low 80s driving in anger as hard as I can in the A8. You can pound the table and say it can't be done, but it doesn't change the reality.

Put more simply, I was there, did it myself, saw it with my own eyes. Did turn off AC proactively at one point for a bit.

If you define it as a priori impossible, then I can't argue with you. You'll just say "If it didn't overheat you weren't driving hard enough", and that's just silly.

I've also overheated the A8 on warmer days. I know what can and can't be done, so telling me otherwise when it's counter to my own experience isn't going to sway me.

I think your product looks well engineered and well thought out and well tested. I think it serves an important purpose. But I'm not buying the blanket statement of being impossible to track this car in (modestly) warm weather, sorry. In hot weather? No chance. At some tracks? No chance. But at Seattle in the low 80s? Been there, done it.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-06-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
I like looking at auto TECH and how its changing. I was informed here a couple of days ago that Volvo is producing a turbo twin screw SC in series. A little 2.0 liter 4 banger making old LS1 power and probably more average torque.
But, I heard today Volvo is going full electric and maybe autonomous? by 2019. NO MORE GAS ENGINES from them! This hard on a warranty Hot Rod 4 banger is probably just a last harrah.
And Tesla is making it really affordable too!
And cars aren't selling, especially our type.
My point is times are changing and guys are still arguing that there is anything wrong with the ZO6 and its overheating.
Simply if you know nothing else remember, "Where there is Smoke there's Fire!

Now's just time for the GM solutions!

You need to get your facts straight before posting.

Volvo said that their 2019's will be either hybrid or powered solely by batteries. For a car to be a hybrid, and not powered only by batteries, it needs an ICE.

Volvo is not dumping the gas engine; they are just not going to build cars that are powered ONLY by a gas engine.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-05-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:07 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
As a programmer I'd hire someone to build the race car. I do build well-engineered street cars.

I've also finished track sessions in the low 80s driving in anger as hard as I can in the A8. You can pound the table and say it can't be done, but it doesn't change the reality.

Put more simply, I was there, did it myself, saw it with my own eyes. Did turn off AC proactively at one point for a bit.

If you define it as a priori impossible, then I can't argue with you. You'll just say "If it didn't overheat you weren't driving hard enough", and that's just silly.

I've also overheated the A8 on warmer days. I know what can and can't be done, so telling me otherwise when it's counter to my own experience isn't going to sway me.

I think your product looks well engineered and well thought out and well tested. I think it serves an important purpose. But I'm not buying the blanket statement of being impossible to track this car in (modestly) warm weather, sorry. In hot weather? No chance. At some tracks? No chance. But at Seattle in the low 80s? Been there, done it.
Not too be a dick, but your "Vert" with no cage looks too nice to have been "driven in anger" anywhere.
The following users liked this post:
LG Motorsports (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
I've never retreated from my "comment," ZenicaPA.

You did and continue to do so.

This isn't a point to debate because you will continue to deny it.

That you--and Big Lebowski--jumped to a hasty conclusion is a matter for each of you to resolve sensibly and without falling victim to distraction.
The conclusion I arrived at was neither hasty nor distracted. It was the meaning you implied in the post you made. If you can't accept your post was construed in a way you didn't intend, that is on you as you are the common element. Two different people read it and interpreted its meaning the same way. It is prudent for you to re-examine your post and try to understand why it was interpreted as it was, if it truly wasn't your intention.

And claiming, Big Lebowski, that you've only offered an "opinion" is disingenuous: clearly, you support a conclusion--not an "opinion," and you don't want to consider any evidence which runs counter to your conclusion. Given your clouded reaction, it's obvious that you believe that offering faulty inferences is wise. And even though you claim that you've offered your opinion--a position which does not require rational support, you ironically take the time to defend your opinion--an action which indicates that you're offering more than an opinion.
His opinion isn't clouded, it factually based on his own first hand experience. Given his car did overheat, it isn't a conversation of opinion but rather a review of fact, a conclusion if you will.

Regrettably, I did not realize, ZenicaPA, that you determined the purpose of this thread: you've asserted that "it is for those that do have overheating and are seeking solace with others that have the same issue." In other words, ZenicaPA, a thread entitled "Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with a Proposed Class Action Lawsuit" is intended to comfort individuals whose cars "have the same issue." You're suggesting that the thread is a safe space, ZenicaPA. (And please--for your own benefit, check on the actual meaning of "quid pro quo": the term doesn't apply to the fascinating "equal numbers" scenario that you presented.)
I made no such determination, the consensus did with the threads conversation which is based on the lawsuit about the Z06 overheating. The suit isn't about Z06 vehicles that---don't overheat.

See the connection there?

FYI, quid pro quo; something given or received for something else or loosly, something for something.

So yes, it does fit the effect YOU would like your experience to have on the experience reported by Big Lebowski, that yours negates his.

additional counterinstances, which GM will undoubtedly present if the case moves forward--only make case more difficult to prove.
Not at all true. The claim of overheating can't be countered with "...well we have X amount that don't overheat" because that does nothing to address the number of vehicles that DO overheat.
Boba Fett (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:23 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Then as a programmer, you should try building a race car that works.

Finishing a "track session" does not mean driving around a track a modest speeds and very little full throttle.
A track session means driving with anger on a track in moderate heat.

with all due respect to the lap video around Watkins glen, in a 125 second lap the car was only at full throttle 28 seconds and either coasting, braking or part throttle.
that is not a valid test of what GM claimed when these cars were sold. In fact they put the timing and track map on the dash for those who actually wanted to go to the track in this "Track Ready" car with track maps and timing and video included in this car.

We can not keep up with the orders. We send them with the front fascia modified with carbon inlet ducts installed.

Like I said, any C7 supercharged owners can take it or leave it. Track it or not but a real hard track session WILL over heat the car.

thanks
Lou gigliotti
LG Motorsports
I like the look of the extra ducts on the fascia. I think they look pretty integrated to me.
LG Motorsports (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,675 Posts

And claiming, Big Lebowski, that you've only offered an "opinion" is disingenuous: clearly, you support a conclusion--not an "opinion," and you don't want to consider any evidence which runs counter to your conclusion. Given your clouded reaction, it's obvious that you believe that offering faulty inferences is wise. And even though you claim that you've offered your opinion--a position which does not require rational support, you ironically take the time to defend your opinion--an action which indicates that you're offering more than an opinion.
Blah, blah, blah, blah. Boring conversation.

You enjoy hearing yourself speak way too much. (To clarify, that is an opinion).
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM
DANZ06
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Subscribed

Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Since GM called it the "most capable track Corvette ever". Try to understand those that like to track or do HPDE's, you would be hacked too. The cars are flawed whether you want to admit it or not. The good thing is I believe this has been a real incentive for GM to build a real track capable car, the C7 ZR1!
In the real life, C6 ZR1 is MUCH more capable!!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Not too be a dick, but your "Vert" with no cage looks too nice to have been "driven in anger" anywhere.
Are you saying I'm lying about tracking it or are you saying my car is too nice to risk? Because if you are a dick it's the former, if not, the latter.

Rest assured I've tracked it hard. And I didn't even roll it. FWIW, it didn't overheat in low 80s, did overheat in higher 80s.

In the real life, C6 ZR1 is MUCH more capable!!
Well, it's slower, but it's cheaper and more affordable on the used car market, and that's the main thing, right?

Last edited by davepl; 07-05-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Are you saying I'm lying about tracking it or are you saying my car is too nice to risk? Because if you are a dick it's the former, if not, the latter.

Rest assured I've tracked it hard. And I didn't even roll it. FWIW, it didn't overheat in low 80s, did overheat in higher 80s.

Well, it's slower, but it's cheaper and more affordable on the used car market, and that's the main thing, right?
What track did you run "***** out at 10/10" in your convertible without a roll bar?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:31 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Can we get back to the overheating issue? A class action suit is beyond ridiculous in getting anything resolved.
There are many things wrong with all these overheating issues. GM continues to sweep under the rug. Mine will go in next week after the epic fail. Can't wait to hear the BS. By the way I'm hearing about clutch packs
Cooking.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:45 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What track did you run "***** out at 10/10" in your convertible without a roll bar?
Can't wait to hear this. Maybe he will even throw some video up if we are lucky.

Last edited by sam90lx; 07-05-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Ibtl.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Can we get back to the overheating issue? A class action suit is beyond ridiculous in getting anything resolved.
There are many things wrong with all these overheating issues. GM continues to sweep under the rug. Mine will go in next week after the epic fail. Can't wait to hear the BS. By the way I'm hearing about clutch packs
Cooking.
Agreed about the topic but why is a lawsuit ridiculous? GM won't do the right thing so absent an outside entity that forces them, what is the consumer to do for recompense?

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 07-05-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Clarified remark
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Agreed about the topic but why is a lawsuit ridiculous? GM won't do the right thing so absent an outside entity that forces them, what is the consumer to do for recompense?
IMO class actions drag on and Benifit the attorneys more than the consumer. Something needs to be done, but not sure this will result in much.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:44 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Valid point but there is still little recourse for a consumer other than a lemon law suit which not all owners will be able to avail themselves of due to time or mileage constraints.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:35 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Some of you folks are taking this too personally. We did not build the extra cooling for fun we built it because we had multiple customers experienced overheating on track and we confirmed it with their own car on track.
So where is the personal problem here? I did not make it up we had conversations with owners of Callaway cars as well, Who installed our kit after they experienced overheating and solved it.

We don't build things if there's not a need in a demand and in this case we built a solution to a problem that multiple C7 Z06 owners were experiencing.

Tell me why that is a personal offense against anyone who doesn't have the problem on track regardless of the reason ?

Not everyone drives these cars on track the same. There is a continuum of talent just like there is in golf or tennis or volleyball or anything that requires a skill. So just because someone's car does not overheat doesn't mean that no cars overheat.

GM has a problem. They over promised and under delivered - a basic rule of business that should never be broken.

GM's problem is not a reflection of anyone's driving talent. It is a reflection of the GM's philosophy that they can do no wrong ever .

So, drive your cars as hard as you want on track. If you have no issues then enjoy yourself at whatever speed you're happy with.
Car manufactures fight every case like this.

The good thing is that this is not a Ford Pinto gas tank exploding issue that cost lives - this issue is about an undelivered promise that was made.

Thanks guys

Lou gigliotti
LG Motorsports
3 time national champion
More Corvette world challenge wins than anyone
And yes, the C7 Z06 did over heat when I drove it on track. -
-- Until we put our Cooling package on

The following 3 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
fmcokc (07-07-2017), Hirohawa (07-06-2017), Rodbuster56 (07-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Old 07-06-2017, 02:04 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Originally Posted by sam90lx
Can't wait to hear this. Maybe he will even throw some video up if we are lucky.
It was at either Pacific Raceways or The Ridge Motorsports Park. Both tracks will let you run verts without a roll bar depending on if it has built in roll over protection from the factory and the year of the car.

And just and fyi, I was at Pacific Raceways today and witnessed multiple convertibles running with the top down including Miatas and a Turbo S.

Last edited by four0nefive; 07-06-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:41 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Some of you folks are taking this too personally.
This. Way too much sensitivity and emotion around here. Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

Last edited by Boba Fett; 07-06-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Hirohawa (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 05:01 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

It's so fun when your beloved Z06 is screaming down the half mile and poof no power
Compounded by some lovely clutch smoke and who knows what else.
We will see what GM has to say. For those of you who think it can't or won't happen to your precious car........ The car was flawless
Last year, this year it was frustrating watching all the guages go crazy and the wonder car going no where.

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit