C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

More GSpeed cooling development- a "no cut" solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts
Default More GSpeed cooling development- a "no cut" solution

This weekend we were able to try out Bills 2016 Black A8 Z07 at Circuit of the americas with parts of our all out stage 2 cooling system, in what we dubbed the "stage 0"

The design intent was to extend the duration of how long you can run one of these cars on track, in the summer. It was not engineered to be a fix all, but for those who want to track the car longer, dont want to spend all of the money of the stage 2 kit, and certainly dont want to cut holes in the bumper, this setup is the ticket.

I will update with PDR data when I receive it, but to say this system performed well would be an understatement.

The kit is as follows:
  • DeWitts 70mm radiator
  • Gspeed fabricated and anodized shroud
  • Gspeed cooler shelf
  • Gspeed dual pass supercharger heat exchanger in Vmount configuration
  • Gspeed engineered blower coolant tank (same tank across all of our kits and cavitation proof)
  • Setrab external oil cooler
  • Auxillary transmission cooler

The car needs a little more help, which we can give it. Here are some facts, in no particular order:
  • Ambient 91*
  • coolant temps stabilized sub 240*
  • oil temps 290
  • trans temp max 250
  • no cavitation or throttle shut down
  • fastest lap of a 2:19.6 with Bill having a new best of a 20.2
  • little to no De-Rating

We will get the car back in and update a few things before it hits the west coast for the summer.

If you dont want to cut your bumper, and you simply want more track time before it does over heat, this is the ticket. It easily doubled, if not tripled the amount of laps possible. There is still lots of room for better cooling by cutting the bumper, but there are lots of C7Z owners who simply dont want to cut or modify it.

Give us a call, or shoot us an email if we can help. This system is so simple and easy to install, given the performance advantage.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
The following 3 users liked this post by GSpeed:
BKorsaire (08-21-2018), Fastmikefree (08-25-2018), simrokkzz (03-09-2021)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:27 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

does the tank mount it the stock location?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:47 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I think for those with a manual who want a little more assurance, this is the way to go!

Good work as always!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Bad Dad
does the tank mount it the stock location?
Its up high, and feeds the pump.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:39 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

For guys with manual cars and want to have the intercoolers upgrade, Do you have a picture of the intercoolers location and how air would flow to it and where does exit from.

My thought is if the hot air from the intercoolers dumps in the wheel well then this would help engine cooling as well because:
  • Hot air from intercooler would not go to the radiator or engine bay.
  • Cold air will increase the efficiency of any radiator even stock radiator.
  • For A8 cars, then you would need the full cooling setup that you Gspeed offers.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:57 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Is the black radiator, that is laid flat, the additional supercharger heat exchanger or the external oil heat exchanger? More details on the picture and list of items would be helpful. Does the front bumper have to come off to install, or is it just for the picture.

I have an 2016 M7/Z06 with the GMPP auxiliary radiator. I am interested in the supercharger tank, but want to know how you bleed it. Do use the bleed fitting on the top and apply a vacuum, or just fill it till the coolant overflows like a brake bleeder.

THANKS!!

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 06-13-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Its up high, and feeds the pump.

Are you eliminating the stock tank? This looks like a setup everyone can use.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:28 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 5thGear
For guys with manual cars and want to have the intercoolers upgrade, Do you have a picture of the intercoolers location and how air would flow to it and where does exit from.

My thought is if the hot air from the intercoolers dumps in the wheel well then this would help engine cooling as well because:
  • Hot air from intercooler would not go to the radiator or engine bay.
  • Cold air will increase the efficiency of any radiator even stock radiator.
  • For A8 cars, then you would need the full cooling setup that you Gspeed offers.
This is great for either trans, and its perfect for those that just need a little more.

We shed the hot air out the bottom, and not in the engine bay. Airflow is the same as the OEM Aux cooler, or the OEM Trans cooler.

The heat exchanger is pictured here, up against the AC condenser. The black cooler is the oil cooler. The transmission cooler is not pictured.

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
Is the black radiator, that is laid flat, the additional supercharger heat exchanger or the external oil heat exchanger? More details on the picture and list of items would be helpful. Does the front bumper have to come off to install, or is it just for the picture.

I have an 2016 M7/Z06 with the GMPP auxiliary radiator. I am interested in the supercharger tank, but want to know how you bleed it. Do use the bleed fitting on the top and apply a vacuum, or just fill it till the coolant overflows like a brake bleeder.

THANKS!!
this car runs about 5-7* ccooler with no AUX radiator, but the oil cooler REMOVED from the coolant system. We use the GM AUX space for the blower heat exchanger.

Originally Posted by Bad Dad
Are you eliminating the stock tank? This looks like a setup everyone can use.
Yes! The stock tank is problematic, and this tank has a lot of engineering, testing, and track validation to insure it is the best tank possible. We have a stock replacement tank in development, but we may scratch that, and retrofit this tank to the OEM system.

We utilize our drybreak bleeder system to fill, and the little bleeder to bleed the tank. We do not fill the tank like every other tank that has a cap. That induces too much air into the system, which causes problems.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
I think for those with a manual who want a little more assurance, this is the way to go!

Good work as always!

a good solution for those not wanting the "full kit" ...
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

As someone who has tracked at COTA, 2:19 is blazing! What performance mods (aside from cooling) are done to the car?

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 06-15-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:08 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
As someone who has tracked at COTA, 2:19 is blazing! What performance mods (aside from cooling) are done to the car?
Those slicks help.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:27 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default C7 Z06 Cooling Upgrade

Hi GSpeed guys/C7 forum guys and gals,

First time Corvette owner here so bear with me. Just beginning to do my research as to what I can do for a 2017 A8 that I will tracking in SLC. 4500' elevation so will probably be making a little less horsepower/heat, but often pushing 100*.

A couple of questions for all:
1 does a 2017 need help, or should I go and find out on the track?
2 how many laps/minutes in your test session with 91* ambient. I won't be running more than 30' at a time
3 I couldn't find anything out about a Dewitt 70mm radiator, only a 57mm one on their website (which got a lot of positive comments), is this a new model?
4 does the 2017 need the supercharger heat exchanger upgrade/will it fit, since they changed that for the '17's?
5 does the trans cooler use the larger fan that you use on your stage 2 setup?

thanks in advance for any advice you can give me, paul

Last edited by desmophile; 06-15-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: insert picture
Old 06-15-2017, 09:45 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

So the A8 cars get hot because..why? The motor works harder to turn the A8? Very odd...very something else I suspect. Can't come up with it in my mind.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:48 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
So the A8 cars get hot because..why? The motor works harder to turn the A8? Very odd...very something else I suspect. Can't come up with it in my mind.
1. Auto transmission and torque converter generate more heat than a manual. Most of that is the torque converter, I would guess.

2. In auto mode, the engine tends to run higher average rpms on the track than a manually shifted car, because the computer chooses the rpm where maximum power is available, even when maximum power can't be used, like in a corner. Higher rpm requires slightly more power, but heat from friction rises substantially as rpms go up.

3. On the '17, the auto doesn't have the extra engine radiator that the manual has, because the transmission cooler takes up that space.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 06-16-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
1. Auto transmission and torque converter generate more heat than a manual. Most of that is the torque converter, I would guess.

2. In auto mode, the engine tends to run higher average rpms on the track than a manually shifted car, because the computer chooses the rpm where maximum power is available, even when maximum power can't be used, like in a corner. Higher rpm requires slightly more power, but heat from friction rises substantially as rpms go up.

3. On the '17, the auto doesn't have the extra engine radiator that the manual has, because the transmission cooler takes up that space.
#1 would work to transmit heat if the two were connected A8 in back
#2 answer can be generated by a M7 in a frantic race setting I guess
#3 Fact... that is clear as day...bad radiator engineering as you point out and I hear an engineer at GM saying 'how many race these cars anyway 'eff it, eff them).
Old 06-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

#2 answer can be generated by a M7 in a frantic race setting I guess
Depends. Sometimes it's faster to exit the corner in a higher gear at a lower rpm, and avoid the acceleration loss of one more upshift on the following straightaway. Particularly with an engine with as broad a powerband as the ZO6.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:17 PM
RyanZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you're working on a cooling solution for these Z06's. I am so disappointed with their on track performance, it has kept me from owning one. Chevy really had something special with this car and totally dropped the ball. I can run 2:21 at COTA all day in a bone stock GT3 RS, never an over heating problem... oil temps are 230... that's a 8500rpm motor too! I can only imagine how much faster it would be if we could fit it with those michelin slicks that you run.

Get notified of new replies

To More GSpeed cooling development- a "no cut" solution

Old 06-16-2017, 02:37 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Michelin slicks, drop spindles, AP Brake kit F/R. Thats it, in addition to the cooling bits.

The A8 has closer ratios up to 120, it also has the ability to be put in "auto mode" which allows the ECU to select the appropriate gear for best performance. Shifting with paddles delays overheating, but it doesnt stop it.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Post the PDR to the Z06 road course link, we wanna see!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lap-times.html
Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Mach .25
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice work, so the biggest issue is that the bumper blocks the incoming air?

Originally Posted by GSpeed
This weekend we were able to try out Bills 2016 Black A8 Z07 at Circuit of the americas with parts of our all out stage 2 cooling system, in what we dubbed the "stage 0"

The design intent was to extend the duration of how long you can run one of these cars on track, in the summer. It was not engineered to be a fix all, but for those who want to track the car longer, dont want to spend all of the money of the stage 2 kit, and certainly dont want to cut holes in the bumper, this setup is the ticket.

I will update with PDR data when I receive it, but to say this system performed well would be an understatement.

The kit is as follows:
  • DeWitts 70mm radiator
  • Gspeed fabricated and anodized shroud
  • Gspeed cooler shelf
  • Gspeed dual pass supercharger heat exchanger in Vmount configuration
  • Gspeed engineered blower coolant tank (same tank across all of our kits and cavitation proof)
  • Setrab external oil cooler
  • Auxillary transmission cooler

The car needs a little more help, which we can give it. Here are some facts, in no particular order:
  • Ambient 91*
  • coolant temps stabilized sub 240*
  • oil temps 290
  • trans temp max 250
  • no cavitation or throttle shut down
  • fastest lap of a 2:19.6 with Bill having a new best of a 20.2
  • little to no De-Rating

We will get the car back in and update a few things before it hits the west coast for the summer.

If you dont want to cut your bumper, and you simply want more track time before it does over heat, this is the ticket. It easily doubled, if not tripled the amount of laps possible. There is still lots of room for better cooling by cutting the bumper, but there are lots of C7Z owners who simply dont want to cut or modify it.

Give us a call, or shoot us an email if we can help. This system is so simple and easy to install, given the performance advantage.

Nice work! So the biggest issue is that the bumper blocks the incoming air? I am surprised that any Engineer at GM would allow a design error like this to reach production. Looking at pictures of the front of a Z06, I can see the radiator, so the opening needs to be bigger, can you post pictures?

Quick Reply: More GSpeed cooling development- a "no cut" solution