C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Driving in the Rain on Cup2's

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 PM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Driving in the Rain on Cup2's

Can someone advise on just how difficult this can be. Considering taking my Z06 on a short trip but still running the Cup 2's. How dangerous is this with the tires?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by why1504
Can someone advise on just how difficult this can be. Considering taking my Z06 on a short trip but still running the Cup 2's. How dangerous is this with the tires?
Its not a problem. The cup 2s won't do well in standing water as you will hydroplane somewhat easily but overall they are good enough in the rain. Leave extra stopping distance and be gentle with the throttle - you will be fine.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I lower the pounds two or three on long rainy trips. But no provable data to enter here.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Obviously can only speak for myself, but it was damn scary for me the one time it's happened.
I got caught on the SB 15 in a shower last summer. Summer showers down here don't happen often, so I'm sure the greasy roads didn't help... I felt it hydroplane a couple times so I was seriously babying it...maybe 55 mph...there's a very slight bend where the 15 and 215 come together... Well, the car decided it just wanted to go straight.
I just kept slight pressure on the wheel and lightly let off the gas until I was off the throttle. It hooked back up once I reached the rumblestrips.
Could have been more of a function of adding a shower to a hot greasy road than anything else, but it was definitely hydroplaning and I had a pretty good pucker going.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Connman
Obviously can only speak for myself, but it was damn scary for me the one time it's happened.
I got caught on the SB 15 in a shower last summer. Summer showers down here don't happen often, so I'm sure the greasy roads didn't help... I felt it hydroplane a couple times so I was seriously babying it...maybe 55 mph...there's a very slight bend where the 15 and 215 come together... Well, the car decided it just wanted to go straight.
I just kept slight pressure on the wheel and lightly let off the gas until I was off the throttle. It hooked back up once I reached the rumblestrips.
Could have been more of a function of adding a shower to a hot greasy road than anything else, but it was definitely hydroplaning and I had a pretty good pucker going.
thats really silly gm or a tire manufacturer doesn't offer a better tire for more real world street conditions for the car in c6z or c7 z sizes. So what if it's a second or 2 slower around a race track.

The good year gator backs were excellent in rain or snow from back in the day when I had my c4 zr-1. Even the mpss don't cut if in cold , rain or heaven forbid a light dusting of snow. Just plain idiotic

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-19-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

Remember the Weather setting for the car. At Spring Mountain we experienced the power of the Weather mode on the skid pad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Classic-Chevy-Guy:
RFBHD (06-20-2017), vdavenp802 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:16 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Remember the Weather setting for the car. At Spring Mountain we experienced the power of the Weather mode on the skid pad.

Any rain, I now use Weathermode religiously after attending Spring Mountain. It makes a big difference.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Absolutely no control at all, none.

Last edited by 2fastnow; 06-20-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:05 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Weather mode is really remarkable. But once you lose traction on all four corners, weather mode is not going to do anything to help.

I took my my cups off and put ona more streetable tire.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

It's perfectly fine, like any other tire. Just be aware and drive normal and in weather. If you're worried use weather mode and you will forget you have track tires on there. If you drive like it's dry out and get in it, yea then you're the problem not the tires

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 06-20-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 AM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have a fair amount of driving on ice and snow (but not in a high performance automobile). It sounds like I just need to drive like I would if on a road with spotty ice.

Last edited by why1504; 06-20-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

There is no one size answer here. If they are hot then they will grip relatively well as long as they stay so and there is no standing water. The big question is how good the drainage is on the roads you will be driving and the chance of rain.

They have very little tread so they will hydroplane sooner than any other new tire if you hit standing water. Your worst case scenario is where you have standing puddles and just one or two wheels hit the puddle and hydroplane. That can cause the car to pull to one size which can be an issue if you're on the highway with no shoulder and a jersey barrier.

Weather mode will help with power delivery in the wet but I don't expect that will be too much of an issue at highway speeds where the lack of tread on the MPSC2 creates a greater hydroplaning risk.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 958 Likes on 497 Posts

Psc2 tires are not bad in the rain. Stay in the right lane and take it easy. They can be dangerous if it is raining really hard and there is standing water. Then put car in wet mode and really be careful or stop and grab a coffee and wait for rain to slow down. I have two sets of wheels and I'm going to put pilot super sports on one set when I drive on the street or for track days when it rains.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM
mikede824
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
St: Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

When it is raining the truck drivers will understand that you have to drive slow in order to maintain control. I have been in this situation and was amazed how courteous they are on the highways.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Any standing water and you are right at having to call your insurance company to report a one car (hopefully) accident. And that means even a 1/4 inch. I use the Cups in the summer when it essentially never will rain in SoCal.

Although it is an adrenalin filled experience actually doing several pirouettes across 5 lanes of traffic on a San Jose Freeway and watching the wide eyes of the drivers behind you as you spin facing them is not something I want to experience again. And that was a simple rain shower in my Camaro with tires that were about 5/32ns but with real tread. The Cup 2s come with between 5 and 6 32nds but with little tread on the outer half of the tire, so will hydroplane incredibly easily. And it doesn't take long to get them down towards 4/32nds and being a good similarity to a racing slick.

In my incident I was on the way to a 1 pm meeting and in the fast lane of I215 going about 65. The rear stepped out first and in catching it the front came into the concrete barrier and that turned me around across all 5 lanes with about 3 360's. I gathered it up in the far right lane. Was able to pull over and look the car over and other than some scrapes and bruises on the front and rear fascias I was good to go, so drove on and made my meeting. But it easily could have been worse if I didn't have the room to spin across the freeway without somebody else hitting me on the way. Wasn't even a hard shower but apparently the freeway had a low spot with poor drainage at that spot and away I went.

Last edited by pkincy; 06-20-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:13 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Yep I agree ......that was one of the best safety things to learn at the class.... it works!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Driving in the Rain on Cup2's

Old 06-20-2017, 02:49 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

I've driven mine in rain in Seattle. Contrary to what most folks believe, it rains up here a bit. Anyway, folks on here recommended Weather and Track with Wet PTM. I've been driving up here in Track with Wet PTM and had not issues. Just chill, leave yourself a way out, and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:01 PM
boogieman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by why1504
It's not difficult at all, can be dangerous if you get on it as you will get hydroplaning at high speeds. I got caught in a very heavy downpour this past Sat. On the New Jersey Turnpike. This was my first experience driving the car in the rain. I simply reduced my speed and switched to weather mode and maintained the speed at about 55 mph. What I really had to worry about more was the poor visibility. If you really think about it, even if you had good tires... would you really be driving at 80 miles per hour when the weather conditions or heavy rain are a factor.? Most of us will not even think about driving our cars in the rain or when it's forecasted. But a little common sense will go a long way.... safe driving to ya !
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Put the car into weather mode and if you have a chance increase tire pressure about 5 pounds. That reduces the amount of tire touching the surface and increases the pressure on the area that remains in contact. As the tires bulge outward in the center the contact patch goes from being wide to being long (like bad weather tires). That can help reduce hydroplaning affects. New the tires have enough tread to get through the water. Put 5K miles on them and it gets more exciting. If the car hydroplanes remember not to make sudden corrections in steering, throttle or braking. Just letting off the gas suddenly can spin the car, especially if it has a manual transmission. Every thing has to be done smooooooothly.

I can tell you that brand new the tires do well in heavy rain at 75 mph. I picked up my car at a Raleigh dealership and drove it 167 miles home in a driving rain storm. The biggest issue I had was on a section of I40 where the truck tires had grooved the pavement and I kept hitting puddles that pulled the car one way or the other. I slowed to 65 mph for that section but made it easier by moving the car out of the center of the lane so the wheels were riding on either the left or right side lane markings. No reason to drive in the low spots when the high spots are a couple of feet to the left or right.

Bill
Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-20-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Driving in the Rain on Cup2's