C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Comp seats vs GT seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:27 PM
_M_
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Comp seats vs GT seats

Did some searching, but either I'm entering the wrong string for the search or I just can't find any threads.

I'm trying to decide to pick up an existing 17 Z06 or order an 18 Z06. Unfortunately it looks like I would have to wait till October to order the 18. Missed it by a few hours. The only reason I would order the 18 is for the comp seats, well primarily for the comp seats and black calipers.

The 17 is otherwise specd how I would want it, and a great price. For those that have sat in both, do the comp seats offer significantly more support ( I will do maybe 2-3 track days a year)? One other additional thought I had is my wife has sat in the GT seats and thought that they were very comfortable. She is on the short side, like 5'4" and fairly petite, so I am wondering if the comp seats might hit her in shoulders too much?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 PM
_M_
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
There are over 1900 2017 Z06s on car.com, you should be able to find what you want and not have to compromise.
Thanks. I've been searching for almost two weeks straight and have yet to come across what I want. I think for the build I want, its going to have to be ordered. Doesn't seem like a mix most dealers spec out.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

You and your wife both need to sit in the comp seats to try them out for comfort and decide if they are right for you. I really like them and find them to be extremely comfortable but others hate them. For comfort on long trips I put them just behind the seats in my GMC pickup which are some of the most comfortable seats I have experienced. But a crewcab pickup has the room for high comfort and weight isn't an issue. The comp seats aren't far behind and I like them better than the premium level seats in my Cadillac ATS, the Z06 seats are far more comfortable for extended trips.
The following users liked this post:
_M_ (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 PM
StreetLegalH2R
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts

The comp seats are the most comfortable seats of any car I've ever been in. Seriously. I'm a bit of a long-haul seat snob and I have never sat in a seat that didn't cause some sort of ache or pain after a few hours. I spent 8 hours in a comp seat and got out of it feeling like I just got in. They ought to be offered on every GM car. They're absolutely brilliant.
_M_ (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:34 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

As previously mentioned, you need to sit in the comp seats before deciding if possible. They aren't as popular as the GT seats and can be difficult to find on an in stock car. Most people find the GT seats comfortable. The comp seats share the same frame but have a 30% denser foam and more aggressive side bolsters. You sit more on the comp seats and sink into the GT seats. If you and the wife like the GT seats it would save you some $$ to get the in stock car.

Last edited by lgodom; 06-20-2017 at 09:35 PM.
_M_ (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 PM
_M_
Advanced

Originally Posted by lgodom
As previously mentioned, you need to sit in the comp seats before deciding if possible. They aren't as popular as the GT seats and can be difficult to find on an in stock car. Most people find the GT seats comfortable. The comp seats share the same frame but have a 30% denser foam and more aggressive side bolsters. You sit more on the comp seats and sink into the GT seats. If you and the wife like the GT seats it would save you some $$ to get the in stock car.
good info. thank you
Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 PM
CharLT
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I went back and forth between GT and Comp seats when looking for my 2LT GS. My wife is 5'2" ~120 and claimed to be very comfortable in both. I'm 5'10" ~170 and found the leather GT seat more comfortable but I'd slide around a bit. The suede Comp seat I tried felt like it wrapped around my back and definitely held me in place, but it did have that tight racing seat feeling, even with bolsters adjusted fully open. Therefore I'd say that the Comp seats felt tighter than GT but not "uncomfortable." I couldn't find suede GT seats to try out and maybe that could be the best of both worlds. My wife was patient with me and followed me to two different dealers so that we could try out both types of seats. I'd highly recommend you try both seats before deciding. My wife and I both thought the leather steering wheel and shifter were a bit too slippery for us.

I ended up ordering the black suede Comp seats with suede steering wheel and shifter, red seat belts and black calipers on a gray car. If you're flexible on some features, I'm certain you can find savings on a '17 that basically would give your the features for free compared to '18 pricing.

What configuration are you looking for? Did you already check online inventory of the big forums dealers; Kerbeck, MacMulkin, Criswell and Coughlin?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 PM
_M_
Advanced

Originally Posted by CharLT
I ended up ordering the black suede Comp seats with suede steering wheel and shifter, red seat belts and black calipers on a gray car. If you're flexible on some features, I'm certain you can find savings on a '17 that basically would give your the features for free compared to '18 pricing.

What configuration are you looking for? Did you already check online inventory of the big forums dealers; Kerbeck, MacMulkin, Criswell and Coughlin?
Great feedback. Yes dealing with primarily two forum dealers now. If I could've got an 18 ordered today exactly the way I wanted, I would've pulled the trigger. Missed it by a few hours. Didn't know I was up against an allocation count.

Have another car lined up at a great price, but no comp seats...the search may have to continue

Last edited by _M_; 06-20-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 PM
jc123
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by _M_
Did some searching, but either I'm entering the wrong string for the search or I just can't find any threads.

I'm trying to decide to pick up an existing 17 Z06 or order an 18 Z06. Unfortunately it looks like I would have to wait till October to order the 18. Missed it by a few hours. The only reason I would order the 18 is for the comp seats, well primarily for the comp seats and black calipers.

The 17 is otherwise specd how I would want it, and a great price. For those that have sat in both, do the comp seats offer significantly more support ( I will do maybe 2-3 track days a year)? One other additional thought I had is my wife has sat in the GT seats and thought that they were very comfortable. She is on the short side, like 5'4" and fairly petite, so I am wondering if the comp seats might hit her in shoulders too much?

I'm I'm in Raleigh North Carolina, and it seems like most of the dealers around here have more of the comp seats in the ZO6 than the GT seats. Try going to the inventory locator on Chevrolet.com and entering in some zip codes along with the basics (coupe vs vert, stick vs auto, and 1, 2, or 3lz) of what you're looking for. It's sort of a pain as to see the type of seat, you'll have to drill down on a specific car returned in the Chevy search, then click the link to go to the specific dealers website where it's on the lot. Then you have to do another search of that dealers inventory. Scroll down past a bunch of junk and select Options to see the add ons and look for comp seats. There are a TON of 2017s and still a bit of 2016's out there. You can search zip code 27601 for example and I know you'll get a ton of comp seats once you drill down to the specific dealer sites. Don't know why the Chevy locator won't just list the options on the cars returned in the search. I guess that would just make it too easy to find what you want. Good luck!
_M_ (06-20-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:13 AM
KingPin7869
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm 6'2, 240. Didn't like the competition seats. They were too tight on my back. GT were much better for me.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

There is a how to on the forum on converting the GT seat backs to the comp seat backs. It leaves the bottoms the same as they are largely the same except the comp seats have stiffer foam.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html

I converted the GT seat backs to the comp seats in my 2015 C7Z. I really didn't think they held you in place on track any better than the GT seats (both had suede inserts) and both were equally comfortable on the road. The main benefit I saw was simply that the comp seats looked better but I wouldn't have bothered converting if I had to do it all over.
_M_ (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Do not even think about the Competition Seats unless you try them. Many cars have been traded back to the dealer because the owner could not fit in them.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 AM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Received 204 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Get the best of both worlds!!!

Get the best of both worlds by converting your GT seat back into a Comp seat back! Details and pricing can be found here:

http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/corv...it?parent=1163

Old 06-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

So far the only downside to the Comp seats that I've experienced is that the seat ventilation is not as good as the GT seats. Other than that, they are comfortable and snug.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I have actually owned both and I ordered my current 16 with the GT seats. I bought a 15 off the showroom floor and it had comp seats--I hated them. I dd mine so comfort is very important to me. Especially if you are only doing 2-3 track days a year definitely get the 17 with the GT seats. You will be happy that you did.

BTW I track my car approx. 25-30 days a year and I still prefer the GT's.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 06-21-2017 at 09:19 AM.
_M_ (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Wife and I sat in both seats before ordering our 16 Z and we realized that the GT seats will pull the bolsters as tight as the comp seats in their regular setting. In other words we chose the GT seats since they offered a more comfortable riding experience yet could be pulled in very tight if the need ever arose. After a 3200 mile trip we couldn't be more happy with the GT seats.
_M_ (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Blue02ws6
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The comp seats look worlds better but sit in them if you want to know how they feel. You can't go off others opinions for your own butt and back.
_M_ (06-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Comp seats vs GT seats

Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by _M_

My wife is 5'0''/115 lbs and dislikes my comp seats because they hold her neck at an uncomfortable angle. She has never tried the GT seats so can't compare.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm 5'10 210 pounds, wife is 5'2 120 pounds. We LOVEour comp seats.

we have taken several long trips (5 to 8 hours a day) with the comp seats and still love them.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:23 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the suede GT seats. I researched both seats before ordering the GT's. I was very concerned about the comfort of the comp seats because I have a Aston Martin DB9 with great looking and feeling comp seats but after riding in them for 2 hrs I almost couldn't walk when I got out on several occasions so I call them a 2 hr seat. But they feel great in only one position. So I tried the Vetts Comp seats and I was surprised how comfortable they were. It's mainly the seat bottom and both models share the same bottom. I also used both at Spring Mountain and found the GT seats had plenty of side support and I love the suede ventilation which works amazingly good with the AC running. 109 here yesterday with blistering sunshine. Also I have 10K miles and the left side bolster has wore thru the coloring. You won't go wrong with the GT seats unless you need the 5 point seat belts.
_M_ (06-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Comp seats vs GT seats