C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Having trouble deciding whether to mod my ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:50 PM
charles7970
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts

So I've owned my 16 auto ZO6/ZO7 for over a year now and use to drive it daily and have put on about 11,000 miles on the car. I'm considering to make the jump and to start adding bolt ons along with a dyno tune.. I plan on having Jeremy over at Fasterproms do all the work for me with this stage 3 pkg listed below:

Thermal Reduction Plates
Heat Expansion Tank
AFE Cold Air Intake
160 Degree Thermostat/Spark Plugs
Ram Air Duct
Spark Plugs
Texas Speed 1 7/8" Off Road Headers
Fasterproms 2.31 Pulley
Ported Supercharger & Snout
Installation
Dyno Tune
Shipping

I live in Orlando so i can literally drive it there and drop it off.. the only things stopping me from upgrading is losing my warranty =/ and does doing such a thing lower the potential value of the car? Thank you for your input.

*I forgot to mention that this car will not be driven daily only on the weekends*

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-22-2017 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome to my dilemma lol, I have a 16Z and have about 5k miles, tracked it twice hard, and have come to the conclusion if something was going to break it would have already. If your close with your dealer the motor, drivetrain and transmission will be voided but everything else should be ok. Unless your doing hole shots your rear end is not going to break. A8? Well I can't say much as I have an m7,but the motor, you have a decent amount of miles I'd say if something broke it would have by now. I'd mod away, the potential that comes from this car of modding it's crazy and life is to short.

iv went back and for with this for a few months and just ordered all my stuff and am doing it. Good luck 👍
Old 06-22-2017, 01:19 AM
upcharger
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a pulley, haltech, xpipe, exhaust and tune and the dealership works on my car without any problems. I'm getting headers soon and the service advisor and techs all love my car. With all my mods on I have had a major repair done to the engine without a problem. I'm sure if I kept breaking the same thing it may become an issue. People drastically exaggerate the VOID MY WARRANTY bullshit.

I'm sure some people get denied but they sure don't post often about it on here.

#FAKENEWS
Old 06-22-2017, 01:26 AM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

They denied my 4th free oil change because I wasn't below 20% oil life. when below 20%, i was over 24000 miles.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 AM
cdh027
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jaden61
They denied my 4th free oil change because I wasn't below 20% oil life. when below 20%, i was over 24000 miles.
That dealer is full of ****. The oil changes are yours to use as you please, at what ever mileage you want.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by upcharger
I have a pulley, haltech, xpipe, exhaust and tune and the dealership works on my car without any problems. I'm getting headers soon and the service advisor and techs all love my car. With all my mods on I have had a major repair done to the engine without a problem. I'm sure if I kept breaking the same thing it may become an issue. People drastically exaggerate the VOID MY WARRANTY bullshit.

I'm sure some people get denied but they sure don't post often about it on here.

#FAKENEWS
What was the "major repair," and was it the result of the mods? If so, then I call this #FAKENEWS.

OP, you certainly have to weigh the risk vs. reward as you still have over a year/25K left on the warranty. There are some mods that you can perform without tuning if you want to ease into it, or just go all out and roll the dice.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

OP - Gorgeous car! As I've said in other posts on this forum, I've modded a number of cars in my 68+ years. My last C5 had a supercharger, cam, headers, exhaust, nitrous, suspension work, etc., etc. Maybe it's just age, but I don't feel the need to modify my Z06. I'm going to enjoy it for what it is and leave it alone. The one thing I've learned over the years is that regardless of how much money you sink into making a car fast, someone else is always going to have one a little faster.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 AM
charles7970
Racer

Thank you all for your inputs and compliments on the car I guess the real question is, in theory when this new ZR1 comes out would the dealer take the car as a trade in modded? I already love the car as it is with a passion but of course after a while there's that itch of "but it could be more of a beast."
Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If you mod your car enough to void the warranty the dealer certainly is not going to give you much for it on trade. I don't think its worth the hassle. If you feel you have to mod the car enough to get the performance you want maybe its time to get rid of it and get something better.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

The trade in is going to be subjective based on what mods you do and how it affects resale for the dealer. Most dealers send most their cars higher mile, older than 5 years to auction so they don't have to deal with repairs etc. Pulley shouldn't change trade in value nor will headers as those are not maintaince items. Fuel system upgrades, meth kits and the like might drop value, but if you drive your car and it has higher miles that will affect trade in more than mods. Drive it and enjoy it. I smile and grin every time I drive mine and it has almost 700rwhp. I traded my last Vette in with 131K miles and over 14 years old, paid $50K, got $10K. I would like to think I got my monies worth. The dealer will take anything if it makes a sale. Would I have gotten $11K if it didn't have headers, CAI and a different rear end, probably not.
Do what you want it is your money and your car.

Last edited by AZGASSER; 06-22-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:57 PM
charles7970
Racer

Thanks again for all the input! Life is too short to worry I'm going for it
Old 06-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

The car is fast as hell as it is stock.

I think if you do a filter, xpipe, you'll be content for a while, at least until your warranty expires.

I got an x-pipe put in 2 months ago and i'm content for now. I know the feeling of driving a stock car, especially this one lol. I'm not going to say it was boring but i hated the fact that it was stock lol, because anyone can have a stock car.

Anyone can add the mods i just stated but you get what i'm saying. Don't throw mods all at once. Do one thing at a time, start with the stuff that won't void your warranty.

Then when you run out of those mods, your warranty is probably up anyway, then you can do the hardcore stuff.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I was is the same boat last year . I own a 2015 , last year , I added long tubes and Haltech , this year I went a little over board , F1A pro charger , catch can and Meth kit ohhhh , forgot about the warranty

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-22-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Being on this Forum, I personally find it incredibly difficult to not mod.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
jbsblownc5 (06-23-2017), The Yav (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:14 AM
evanft
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

1. Don't mod if you care about warranty.

2. Mods generally lower the value of the car
Old 06-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey make sure to post your results when you get them done. I was looking at the same package from Jeremy. He did my 07Z H/C package that ran perfect with zero issues.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Being on this Forum, I personally find it incredibly difficult to not mod.....
This is the story of my life. This forum has cost me so much $$$ over the years..............

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-23-2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-23-2017, 09:47 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I look at it this way.....

If I had been told I could never again drive after today, would I think "boy, I wish I had never modded my ZO6 " or " I'm glad I enjoyed the ride".........

Get notified of new replies

To Having trouble deciding whether to mod my ZO6

Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 246 Posts

Mod the car and enjoy!
Don't expect to earn back dollar for dollar every cent you put in mods in resale or trade. While mods DO NOT lower your value. You certainly will not be recouping your money especially when you're paying for labor.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Mods will lower the value of the car since subsequent purchasers may not want them or may not trust the installation of the mods. There is a long history of modded cars that turned into crap Vs something great.

My suggestion is to consider what you are going to use the mods for. Are you racing and need more power? Then do some safety and power mods. If you are street cruising think about what mods really accomplish. If you are doing a few one to three second blasts of wide open throttle/near wide open throttle and then backing out of the throttle mods are going to do little for you since power mods typically shift the power band upward in the rpm range so you lose torque on the bottom end (which may make the car more driveable for some people) and move the HP peak upward as well. Some mods can give higher peak HP but less HP under the curve and you actually end up with less performance.

The other thing I know is every driver has a speed limit built into their head that limits how much they push the pedal and for how long. Just because you add mods that do add power doesn't mean you will push the pedal far enough to actually use them. That built in sub conscious speed limiter usually steps in and regulates the acceleration and top speed the driver will accept. It takes a lot of practice to change that limiter upwards.

When you hear the guy with the rumpity rump exhaust at the cruise in and think, Wow, that sounds powerful do you wonder if that person has the cajones to actually drive the car hard enough to make use of any power gained from those mods? I don't mean a couple second blast from one stop light to another. I mean does that person have the cajones to hold the throttle to the floor for 15 seconds to 20 minutes and drive the car at speed. If not the mods were a waste of money.

I recently attended a track event where a person in a modded Z51 was trying to keep up with my stock Z06. Afterwards he told me he had modded the engine to give him 550 HP at the rear wheels which is about what a Z06 has when a chassis dyno test is run. Exiting corners at 70+ mph he couldn't believe how fast I could pull away from him when there was no traffic ahead of us or we had gotten passing signals. His power mods that supposedly made the Z51 equal to a Z06 just weren't cutting the mustard (maybe because they moved the power band out of the useful range for the track we were on).

His car just didn't seem to have the low end torque required to pull off the corners. Even when he was in 3rd gear and I was in 4th I could easily put a lot of distance between us. I think he would have done much better with a stock LT1 which I know run quite strong on that course.

Bill
Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by upcharger

#FAKENEWS
I agree you don't hear it often, but it's true that if you have an engine failure, the dealership must provide a screenshot showing the calibration is stock before THEY can get a new motor. That much is true.

How many claims get denied because the calibration isn't stock I have no idea. Just telling you what the stated policy and procedure is for engine replacement.

This is the first car I never felt the need to modify. I think it's "fast enough" for all that I do with it, so I'm leaving it in factory condition. If I were racing a clock or other cars, I could see it, but since I'm not going merely in a straight line, there's much more on the table in improving my ability than in improving the car anyway.

This car also seems to live on the ragged edge of modifiability because of the fuel system. If there was a bunch of headroom in the fuel system for more power, it'd be tempting to at least increase the boost... but there's not much left on the table for fuel and I'm not a meth head.

Last edited by davepl; 06-23-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Having trouble deciding whether to mod my ZO6