Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Z06 Nurburg time soon? New ZL1 just lapped in 7:16

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:43 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette

I will say, I am disappointed that the Corvette has not produced a time for any of the C7 models.
Publishing Ring times is all about MARKETING.
In this case, it was a missed opportunity.
Team Camaro has produced a time for the 6th gen ZL1 and 6th gen ZL1 1LE already.
A sad commentary on Team Corvette.

Originally Posted by revo1059
I don't see Camaro as the new performance priority, in all honestly I see that the Corvette team made a misstep in the design process (and it seems the QA process for the design) where the Camaro team was able to avoid (by knowing the Corvette issues before hand?) the pitfall and come out with a stronger vehicle.

I do remember some of the people saying "Ring times are useless!", "who cares, GM doesn't". Well apparently they do since they put together a video for the ZL1 1LE and distributed it. At this point the only reasonable conclusion is that the Z06 couldn't make a full lap at full power.
Because there are no courses like the Ring where you can run a car flat out for that long.

Provide one other viable reason thy would hold back a time when they have released it for previous models and now are touting it for the Camaro. There really isn't another logical reason.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Makes sense, but the bottom line is that it shouldn't overheat and the ZL1 proves that it can be designed so it doesn't. It shouldn't require pro level racing capability or pin point preparation. I'm not saying you should be able to run 20 laps redlining in 2nd, but the tipping point seems to be set lower than it should be.
Agreed. In a perfect world it shouldn't overheat at all, never ever.

That's where we see the Z06 is like most any other car at the track on the weekend. If you want to be competitive over the long haul in the hotter months you are going to have to make some modifications. This isn't anything new. Most all cars require some modifications to race all weekend.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 975 Likes on 531 Posts

It appears the "Ring" itself is now quicker (since its repairs) based on the most recent cars times. I think we'll see a sub 7:00 time for the ZR1.

This could also be the reason they've held off on the Z06/7 times.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Agreed. In a perfect world it shouldn't overheat at all, never ever.

That's where we see the Z06 is like most any other car at the track on the weekend. If you want to be competitive over the long haul in the hotter months you are going to have to make some modifications. This isn't anything new. Most all cars require some modifications to race all weekend.
..and I think that is what is frosting some Z06 owners is that the cheaper Zl1 doesn't need any modification so far. Motor Trend admittedly beat the **** out of one for 4 days of track testing (I think they burned through 4 sets of tires) and no issues at all. If I was a track rat and bought the Z06 for that purpose and had the overheating issue only to see a cheaper car with the same engine have no issues, I'd be a little twisted about it.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Dear Camaro ZL1 1LE,

Thanks for nothing....I worked so hard to sound good and rev to the moon yet you crap on my parade. I know we haven't been best friends, but I do think we push each other over the years to be better. But now you produced this ridiculous Ring time, with an engineer driver no less!! You've really screwed me over. I was the darling of the track crowd, I have exorbitant ADM's on my sticker price and the automotive press felt I was the ultimate track sedan. To get through this difficult time, I'm forming a support group of fellow GT350R's and C7 Z06's to help console and support each other. Damn you Camaro, damn you.

Signed,
The Mustang GT350R
Nicely done!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:13 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by boba fett
c7 z06 hater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!:d:d:d
Old 06-22-2017, 04:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
It appears the "Ring" itself is now quicker (since its repairs) based on the most recent cars times. I think we'll see a sub 7:00 time for the ZR1.

This could also be the reason they've held off on the Z06/7 times.
True.

It's kind of difficult to say the Camaro time is equal to the C6 ZR1 when the C6 ZR1 was run on an older generation tire, plus the C6 ZR1 was run with an absolutely factory stock alignment and trim height and on the old track surface(before a bad 1/4 mile section was rebuilt/widened).

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-22-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Dear Camaro ZL1 1LE,

Thanks for nothing....I worked so hard to sound good and rev to the moon yet you crap on my parade. I know we haven't been best friends, but I do think we push each other over the years to be better. But now you produced this ridiculous Ring time, with an engineer driver no less!! You've really screwed me over. I was the darling of the track crowd, I have exorbitant ADM's on my sticker price and the automotive press felt I was the ultimate track sedan. To get through this difficult time, I'm forming a support group of fellow GT350R's and C7 Z06's to help console and support each other. Damn you Camaro, damn you.

Signed,
The Mustang GT350R
Jim Mero( engineer driver no less) explained why he might actually be a quicker driver around the Ring than a "Pro" driver.

"Observers of the video have questioned whether another driver -- perhaps Johnny O'Connell or Jan Magnussen, who drive for Corvette's ALMS team -- would have been faster. Perhaps, Mero allows, but the pro drivers are busy people. "It would have taken Johnny or Jan two weeks to find the sweet spot of the car," and they have other commitments. Mero also notes that he now has hundreds of laps on the Nordscheife. "The track does intimidate," Mero says, smiling. "Johnny says I lack the self-preservation gene." "

Just because Mero isn't a "Pro" race car driver doesn't mean he's an amateur at driving the Ring.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-22-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:33 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Not quite buckwheat! ;)

Originally Posted by rbartick
A new week, another ring thread. I predict a 20 page thread with the C5/C6 guys piling on.
This one as you know comes complete with a real profound example!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-22-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I watched the video and didn't realize it was Jim Mero driving. I knew he was good...But damn he is amazing!!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:32 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I predict 25 pages of acrimony and C7 Z06 fanbois making excuses and lame personal attacks as the Corvette has officially taken a back seat to the Camaro.

"Congrats" GM for making the ZL1 Camaro the new performance priority - and completely screwing over the Corvette and it's heritage.

But what do I know I'm poor and jealous. So, so poor... and jealous.

Actually, its not that Camaro is a priority, its that both departments are allowed friendly competition now, and no edict from on high that Corvette is king, "just because"
Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AlanAutoSports
Thing is, GM has publicly made it known they no longer throttle Camaro to stay beneath the Corvette, they let both teams go full bore and build the best car they can build.

The Camaro just has a great advantage with all that frontal area to pack in the coolers and apply what was learned from the Z06. It is a trickle down, as the Z06 leads the charge, so the ZL1 had a developmental advantage.

We now see a filed suit against GM by a law firm that loves suing GM. I suspect GM saw an issue developing and wanted to downplay the "track nature" of the Z06 due to pending litigation.

It's a shame because, the C7Z06 delivers a lot of car in a compact and fairly lightweight package. If the public cuts GM's legs and makes them pay for trying to build cars with track ability in mind, then they'll quit doing it.

It is what it is...Camaro though...hell of a feat! Hopefully the updated ZR1 will come out with a sub 7:10 and all will be feng shui
Well said
Old 06-22-2017, 05:40 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wass
I watched the video and didn't realize it was Jim Mero driving. I knew he was good...But damn he is amazing!!
Hes a beast! I kept "holy shitting" at some of the spots where the car was squirming and there wasnt much wiggle room on the track. Also, seeing the external camera views made the perspective that much more insane as it looks a little slower from inside the car.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 975 Likes on 531 Posts

It was said on the Camaro Forum that it was Bill Wise driving.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:30 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Cost Effective!

Originally Posted by spinkick
Actually, its not that Camaro is a priority, its that both departments are allowed friendly competition now, and no edict from on high that Corvette is king, "just because"
A $100K Corvette, NSM!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-22-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Right! Mero rumor starting!?

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
It was said on the Camaro Forum that it was Bill Wise driving.
I don't even think old Mero will be running the Vette this time!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-22-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Yep! But the Camaro's can execute!

Originally Posted by spinkick
Hes a beast! I kept "holy shitting" at some of the spots where the car was squirming and there wasnt much wiggle room on the track. Also, seeing the external camera views made the perspective that much more insane as it looks a little slower from inside the car.
A Corvette by definition doesn't do all of that! A measure lighter/faster for sure!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-22-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Nurburg time soon? New ZL1 just lapped in 7:16

Old 06-22-2017, 07:59 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Maybe Oppenheiser and Jeuchter should switch jobs. I think Team Corvette has lost its magic after a lot of screw ups and swapping the Chief Engineers may bring some new blood to the team.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not quicker if it can't finish the lap at full power.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I saw a ZL1 Camaro at the mail yesterday. It looks like a Camaro with a red emblem in front. It had a stripe but it stopped at the trunk lid. The rear doesn't look good...funny lights. The front looked very menacing too. My cat Boris seemed scared.
70,000 bucks? No thanks

Quick Reply: Z06 Nurburg time soon? New ZL1 just lapped in 7:16