C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Perhaps the C7 has peaked?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

It's coming!
Originally Posted by TXshaggy
You're buddy is driving an 8 MY old 2010 P-car and commenting on C7 Z06 "peaking" so he's passing...uh okay then.
Have you checked the prices on a 2010 GT3? They are going for about $120,000 today. The only thing he would trade it for is a C7z mid-engine. We think the C-8 will start at that price.

Last edited by Mlcn62; 06-22-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
If it peaked then it peaked just in time for me since I got mine 3 weeks ago and I plan on keeping it for as long as I can drive! No mid engine Corvette for me.

sharp car! Very sharp!
Old 06-22-2017, 09:45 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlcn1962
It's coming!

Have you checked the prices on a 2010 GT3? They are going for about $120,000 today. The only thing he would trade it for is a C7z mid-engine. We think the C-8 will start at that price.
Unsure what the cost of an 8 year old P-Car has to do with the discussion, plenty of P-cars younger and older worth more and perfirm better. What's your point?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

My buddy said he is waiting to see the "mid-engine" c8. He doesn't want to be making payments on a c7. He said the c7, is "old", and has peaked, that's why no one is buying them. He also said all the corvette loyalist own one now. We discussed that if the next vette is mid-engine, there will a massive crossover from Porsche, and other sports car enthusiasts, and he will be one of the first in line for a mid-engine c8. Has the c7 peaked and are you waiting to get a mid-engine C8? I for one will wait a few years to see how the new mid-engine c8 performs over time. Perhaps they will offer big discounts on them after 3 years of being on the market. My buddy doesn't think so. He believes the crossover will be so massive that they will sell every c8 they make at MSRP.
Damn man. You think too much.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Unsure what the cost of an 8 year old P-Car has to do with the discussion, plenty of P-cars younger and older worth more and perfirm better. What's your point?
The GT3 is appreciating, I love my z but, just like that dang 2013 Maserati Granturismo Sport I owned(depreciated like a rock) I don't expect to get more then I payed for it 8 years later. The "peak" in the z is that they are not selling now and when they do it's a way below MSRP! Yes I took advantage of it. But, as I said I had a discussion with a buddy and we were wondering why the prices are falling? It it because the z has peaked? I'm not referring to the performance or looks of the car. Just wondering why they are difficult to sell now.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,430 Likes on 2,268 Posts

They've made, what, around 30k of them?

That right there is your answer.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

thanks for the well wishes! I'll report back to the forum if I have any issues. I'm not that aggressive on the track, so I'm not anticipating any issues, all my track time has been in porsches, this will be my first time in something other then a Porsche on track. I've driven a lot of great cars, you should grab a groupon and next time one of those deals where u can do a lap in a Lamborghini, GTR and some other cars, you can have the experience as well. I have a couple of buddies with high end cars, but they haven't allowed me to drive them on the track, with the exception of my brother in law who owns a 2010 GT3, I've thrashed that car, its probably one of the best track cars out there, at least that's my 2 cents.
daughter got me a grupon to drive a 2005 Ferrari.i like my Z better.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
They've made, what, around 30k of them?

That right there is your answer.
The only make about 6000 Maserati Granturismo every year, they depreciate like a Kia. Take that back, I think the Kia does better! Lol!!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

The only make about 6000 Maserati Granturismo every year, they depreciate like a Kia. Take that back, I think the Kia does better! Lol!!
Well, I can't speak to the Masers as I don't follow their market. Some automakers through brand equity or controlled production volumes - or both - are price makers, in the terms of economics. F cars and some P cars fall into this category. With Corvette in general, and the Z is no different, GM structures its pricing and production volumes in such a way as it resulting in being a price taker. With that model, you see a very repeatable and predictable pattern over successive models, and you're seeing it here with the Z. The volume, while good for us in the sense of allowing the machine to made and sold for the price it is, satiates and eventually exceeds market demand.

Unless GM changes how they approach the Corvette, which I don't expect they will, we'll likely see such a pattern in the future as well (unless they make a controlled low volume, high performance and well sorted ME model).
Old 06-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Maserati Granturismo have the same engine as a Ferrari f-430, are painted at the Ferrari factory, although assembled at the "Maserati" plant, but u pay $200,000+ for a Ferrari and the Ferrari appreciates. I think it's all just marketing. The ZO6 smokes most cars, the numbers are world class. Perhaps GM needs to start a new company(like Lexus with Toyota) sell the ZO6 under that name, with that level of performance and style, they could sell it for twice the amount if it wasn't sold at a "chevy" dealer along side a Sonic. Imagine the c8 with a price tag of $130,000 sitting in the showroom, with a $15,000 Sonic. Nissan has the same issue, they practically give away GTR's these days.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:33 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Nah, it's simpler than that. GM always builds too many of them for msrp to be maintained through the whole run. Always.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Maserati Granturismo have the same engine as a Ferrari f-430, are painted at the Ferrari factory, although assembled at the "Maserati" plant, but u pay $200,000+ for a Ferrari and the Ferrari appreciates. I think it's all just marketing. The ZO6 smokes most cars, the numbers are world class. Perhaps GM needs to start a new company(like Lexus with Toyota) sell the ZO6 under that name, with that level of performance and style, they could sell it for twice the amount if it wasn't sold at a "chevy" dealer along side a Sonic. Imagine the c8 with a price tag of $130,000 sitting in the showroom, with a $15,000 Sonic. Nissan has the same issue, they practically give away GTR's these days.
So if GM called the Corvette a Cadillac then it would be 130k?

Have you seen Cadillac sales numbers and even better yet, depreciation numbers?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
So if GM called the Corvette a Cadillac then it would be 130k?

Have you seen Cadillac sales numbers and even better yet, depreciation numbers?
Lol! Nooo! Not a caddilac! Corvettes already have a reputation as a "old mans" car(average age 60 I believe).

Start a new company like it did with Saturn. Call it GMP division. P for performance, like SRT! Maybe that's not a good example. They dropped SRT and went back to dodge.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Economics must be hard for some.

Supply and demand
Price elasticity

GM makes the profit when the car ships to the dealer. What price the dealer sells the car for to the customer is irrelevant to GM profitability (outside of factory based rebates but even those are a pittance in overall profitability and a fraction of what a manuf spends on warranty and goodwill).

The product life cycle, production, phase out, etc are all carefully planned way in advance along with pricing strategies. The C7 sales figures, unless they are Viper like (remember the Viper?) and tank right out of the box, are not a big concern for GM. If the Silverado sales fell in the toilet then maybe we have something to talk about. The Corvette is a "just because" model, a "look what we can do, some of this is in your Malibu" model.

The C7 "peak" is MUCH more planned than you might think. No model is released with the idea they are going to sell record numbers forever and if they fall off they will release a new one.....the peak and phase out are known and planned.....so just calm down with the sillyness.

Lol! Nooo! Not a caddilac! Corvettes already have a reputation as a "old mans" car(average age 60 I believe).

Start a new company like it did with Saturn. Call it GMP division. P for performance, like SRT! Maybe that's not a good example. They dropped SRT and went back to dodge.
Do you really think that is all it will take to change perceptions or increase profitability? Saturn is done, Viper (dodge or SRT?) is done, SVT is done (2006 GT was last model except for the previous old Raptor, etc. The new Raptor and new GT are not SVT branded) No one buys that stuff anymore.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-22-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Do you really think that is all it will take to change perceptions or increase profitability? Saturn is done, Viper (dodge or SRT?) is done, SVT is done (2006 GT was last model except for the previous old Raptor, etc. The new Raptor and new GT are not SVT branded) No one buys that stuff anymore.
I agree, just still can't figure out why nobody is buying them right now. The premise of the thread was whether it was because they "peaked". I think they probably have, but enjoyed the opinions of others. Validation and respect for other people's opinions is the conrnerstone to
good relationships. The ZO6 community has that, gentlemen and scholars. Better then the Porsche forum I use to be on.

Fyi: Nissan really wanted to sell GTR's under the Infiniti badge, for American appeal, but it was a tradition in Japan as a Nissan.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I'm not sure what the point is...?
Every new product lifecycle has a peak. It doesn't represent a negative connotation. Whether it's the Sham-Wow, these damn fidget spinners, or the C7... every product reaches a peak in sales and follows the curve.
Was there someone who thought the C7 would stay in the growth sector over the life of the model?

Where's the C7 on the chart...nobody really knows except the bean counters at GM.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

All I can say is, I'm glad he's YOUR "buddy" and not mine.......

Get notified of new replies

To Perhaps the C7 has peaked?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:35 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
All I can say is, I'm glad he's YOUR "buddy" and not mine.......
Old 06-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Mlcn62
Racer

No shade was meant on the ZO6, he happens to be a fan of the ZO6. The premise was why are they selling so cheap now? Is it because they have peaked? Everyone that wanted one has one? Why? It was a exercise in exploring the reason why I was able to get $14,000 off the MSRP 3 weeks ago. Just asking a question out loud. Hope no one thought "shade" was being cast on our ZO6. Wasn't the point of the thread. The ZO6 is a awesome car. I took the day off tomorrow just to go for a cruise to the shore in the morning and treat my MD wife to lunch (she rescheduled all her patients) just to accompany me for my cruise, she called dibs on driving back though. Lol!!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 AM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

No shade was meant on the ZO6, he happens to be a fan of the ZO6. The premise was why are they selling so cheap now? Is it because they have peaked? Everyone that wanted one has one? Why? It was a exercise in exploring the reason why I was able to get $14,000 off the MSRP 3 weeks ago. Just asking a question out loud. Hope no one thought "shade" was being cast on our ZO6. Wasn't the point of the thread. The ZO6 is a awesome car. I took the day off tomorrow just to go for a cruise to the shore in the morning and treat my MD wife to lunch (she rescheduled all her patients) just to accompany me for my cruise, she called dibs on driving back though. Lol!!
Overproduction + new model year coming = Big discounts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Perhaps the C7 has peaked?