C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 ZO6 hard acceleration, lost power at 130mph

Old 06-25-2017, 04:31 PM
thundercatd
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
So was it the P106, and no, mode should not effect it...
yes it was the P106 code
The following users liked this post:
jbsblownc5 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:38 PM
thundercatd
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the code i had was PO106,so i guess i can do one of two things, either get a custom tune or put the stock air box back on.
jbsblownc5 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:39 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by thundercatd
yes it was the P106 code
You either have a loose clamp/oil vapor fitting or are outside of the delta between the maf and map table. You could try the lower flowing filter first.
jbsblownc5 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:40 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2017ZO6
The car still needs to be tuned for the increased air flow to get the great reward of a better performing faster car.
Agreed. A proper tune rules all.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:40 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

I bit the bullet and used HPT.
jbsblownc5 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 05:32 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by thundercatd
Yes the code i had was PO106,so i guess i can do one of two things, either get a custom tune or put the stock air box back on.

I had the same choice to make, and since I had already felt the extra power and TQ that the intake offered, I opted for the tune...
thundercatd (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
I to have tried the "Green Filter" which Lingenfelter uses on their 720 HP package. It was not as good as the AFE w/gray filter but not that far away. I would like to know what you think from a performance stand point on how the Green did against the BMS. I seem to remember someone posting some surprising results for the Green against the BMS. Oh, anyone know where the new OEM replacement 'Big Blue' filter stands.
I didn't do a dyno or track test but when I took my green filter out and installed the BMS filter is was a very noticeable gain. It was similar to when I had the Haltech on the car, the first week anyway. If the stock is a 1 the Green is a 3 and the BMS is an 8. Halltech, before it learns, is a 10. All of this is seat of the pants stuff but I used to test cars and can absolutely feel the difference. Also, it's not placebo as I've returned or sold half the **** I bought for this car. The BMS really is the way to go unless you like messing up your engine bay and throwing away money. I sold the Haltech and it paid for half of my DSC which is the only thing better than the BMS. Can not wait to get to the track again as the car feels extremely strong all of the time now. When I had the Green filter and installed the DSC I was like oh wow I can really put the power down now the way the rear softens up. Now that I have the BMS I'm back to not putting the power down. [although still getting the larger amount of power down better than when the car was fully stock]

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 06-25-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Terry@BMS (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 AM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

I had the same issue with my 17 Z06 last week at Pocono. 1500 miles on the car, broken in properly, oil changed, etc. ALL STOCK. Hit 168mph and Check Engine light came on with warning "Reduced Engine Power." Received email message from ONSTAR as well to get serviced. Have appt Tuesday in NJ to check code. This is bullshit. The STOCK Z06 should be capable of 190mph PLUS. Unacceptable in my view. GM needs to tune these cars to allow enough fuel/air ratio at the top end to handle this. I went through a severe electronics issue with my 2016 Z06 and GM did a buyback. I handed the cash right back to them for a 2017 model remaining confident that these are great cars but I bought this car to hit high speeds at Pocono and anything less wont work for me. I am going to ask GM to re-tune the car for my needs under warranty!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:22 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by goshendad
I had the same issue with my 17 Z06 last week at Pocono. 1500 miles on the car, broken in properly, oil changed, etc. ALL STOCK. Hit 168mph and Check Engine light came on with warning "Reduced Engine Power." Received email message from ONSTAR as well to get serviced. Have appt Tuesday in NJ to check code. This is bullshit. The STOCK Z06 should be capable of 190mph PLUS. Unacceptable in my view. GM needs to tune these cars to allow enough fuel/air ratio at the top end to handle this. I went through a severe electronics issue with my 2016 Z06 and GM did a buyback. I handed the cash right back to them for a 2017 model remaining confident that these are great cars but I bought this car to hit high speeds at Pocono and anything less wont work for me. I am going to ask GM to re-tune the car for my needs under warranty!

I'm assuming you have the stock air intake system. I think you and one or two other guys have had his issue on Stock set ups, which I believe goes to show how close to the mark the allowable range of air is on the computer before it throws the code on the 17s...
onfire (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:24 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

I'm assuming you have the stock air intake system. I think you and one or two other guys have had his issue on Stock set ups, which I believe goes to show how close to the mark the allowable range of air is on the computer before it throws the code on the 17s...

I agree. Ask your tuner is placing po106 as not reported removed the reduced power mode or do you have to totally disable the map function.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:32 PM
goshendad
Racer

Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by onfire
I agree. Ask your tuner is placing po106 as not reported removed the reduced power mode or do you have to totally disable the map function.
I am insisting that GM handle this. I do not want to get involved in a pissing contest by tuning myself and sacrificing warranty. The car is 650 hp and advertised with a top speed of 190+. Fix it or take it back.
phantasms (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:43 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 844 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
I am insisting that GM handle this. I do not want to get involved in a pissing contest by tuning myself and sacrificing warranty. The car is 650 hp and advertised with a top speed of 190+. Fix it or take it back.
Though a tune can resolve the issue. The issue probably isn't the tune. Many folks are hitting very high speeds with the factory tune, with and without intakes.

I suspect the issue is in the map sensors. I have a theory but without data it's just an opinion.

Of the folks that have had this issue. As helpful as they have tried to be, no one has posted a HPT data log of Map and boost of this issue as it happens.

Had we had one its likely we would have resolved this issue long ago.

Of the data presented from other scanners in each case the log is showing the MAP sensor maxed out at about 1 bar/ 31ish inhg/ 14.7 psi (1 atmosphere) or 101 kPa. No matter how you read it this is totally out of spec for a Z06 at WOT in any gear at any speed and RPM period. The PCM is correct to send a PO 106 if this is a true reading.

For the record a normal Z06 reports about 1.65 bar/49inHg/24 psi atmospheric or 166kPa at 9ish psi of boost.

Retuning cars for a indicating problem is like taking a shower with a fire hose. It works but it isn't the best use of resources.

Question for the gallery.......has anyone been able to duplicate this problem on the dyno? I bet not.

Reason I ask is GM and the Chevy dealers are not going to be able to test your car at 130, 150 or 160 mph so all you are going to get is troubleshooting by process of elimination. The worst possible way to troubleshoot an intermittent condition.

Someone please post a HPT scan of the issue. Every now and then we have to help GM help us.

Last edited by dar02081961; 06-26-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:17 PM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Though a tune can resolve the issue. The issue probably isn't the tune. Many folks are hitting very high speeds with the factory tune, with and without intakes.

I suspect the issue is in the map sensors. I have a theory but without data it's just an opinion.

Of the folks that have had this issue. As helpful as they have tried to be, no one has posted a HPT data log of Map and boost of this issue as it happens.

Of the data presented from other scanners in each case the log is showing the MAP sensor maxed out at about 1 bar/ 31ish inhg/ 14.7 psi (1 atmosphere) or 101 kPa. No matter how you read it this is totally out of spec for a Z06 at WOT in any gear at any speed and RPM period. The PCM is correct to send a PO 106 if this is a true reading.

For the record a normal Z06 reports about 1.65 bar/49inHg/24 psi atmospheric or 166kPa at 9ish psi of boost.

Retuning cars for a indicating problem is like taking a shower with a fire hose. It works but it isn't the best use of resources.

Question for the gallery.......has anyone been able to duplicate this problem on the dyno? I bet not.

Reason I ask is GM and the Chevy dealers are not going to be able to test your car at 130, 150 or 160 mph so all you are going to get is troubleshooting by process of elimination. The worst possible way to troubleshoot an intermittent condition.

Someone please post a HPT scan of the issue. Every now and then we have to help GM help us.
This is great info but, unfortunately, it is over my head completely. Last issue i had with my 2016 Z06 shutting down "Service Rear Axle, Rear axle system off, Stabilitrack" etc i was provided a scanner from GM Field Service advisor and recorded the event. The Field guy sent it to Michigan and it went into someones inbox with no resolution for over 3 WEEKS. I am going back to Pocono again on July 12th and will be happy to hook up a scanner from GM to log it. I will offer that tomorrow. Thanks for the info. I am more than willing to Help GM out as I love my car and want it to perform the way it was designed.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:43 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dar02081961

Correct, mine code did not happen on the dyno, only on the street, so dealers would not be able to duplicate it. Then again, as soon as I put the stock intake back on, the problem went away, even up thru the top of fifth, 170+MPH.

On the the other hand, as you well know, GM does test these cars at VERY high speeds in many different climates before they go to market, so for it to happen on a stock setup, maybe a bad sensor, or maybe certain climate conditions push it just past the allowable stock parameters as far as max air flow toward the top of fifth....
The following 2 users liked this post by jbsblownc5:
goshendad (06-27-2017), onfire (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

My 2017 is 100% stock... Having the same issue but I don't find it related to hitting a set speed... Rather it's happening on track (only) under FULL LOAD high RPM. I've had it occur in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, when rpm seems to exceed 6,000 ( not sure exact figure) when I start my uphill run on the long straightaway. Never first lap... Usually 3rd or 4th lap into session... NOT heat related.

Took car to dealership today and they can find not cause for the code being thrown. They want me to trigger code at track then trailer car to them with code still present so they can try to get to source.

Even the tech agrees this is likely software parameters issue.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:05 AM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by Questar
My 2017 is 100% stock... Having the same issue but I don't find it related to hitting a set speed... Rather it's happening on track (only) under FULL LOAD high RPM. I've had it occur in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, when rpm seems to exceed 6,000 ( not sure exact figure) when I start my uphill run on the long straightaway. Never first lap... Usually 3rd or 4th lap into session... NOT heat related.

Took car to dealership today and they can find not cause for the code being thrown. They want me to trigger code at track then trailer car to them with code still present so they can try to get to source.

Good luck with that issue.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 ZO6 hard acceleration, lost power at 130mph

Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Correct, mine code did not happen on the dyno, only on the street, so dealers would not be able to duplicate it. Then again, as soon as I put the stock intake back on, the problem went away, even up thru the top of fifth, 170+MPH.

On the the other hand, as you well know, GM does test these cars at VERY high speeds in many different climates before they go to market, so for it to happen on a stock setup, maybe a bad sensor, or maybe certain climate conditions push it just past the allowable stock parameters as far as max air flow toward the top of fifth....
What other mods did you have with the stock intake but did not set a code at 170mph ? Stock tune at that time ?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:05 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Questar

Man, that sucks when you're at the track, and the car is stock, and you can't enjoy it!!

At first, I would only pop the code toward the top end of 4th, but once I had the ported TB and cold air, and "loaded up the car pretty hard in 3d, I could make it happen there as well.

Yes, it is not a specific speed, but related to loading up the car and being toward the top end of 4th, again, sometimes even 3d, and NOT heat related...

So again, your experience IS similar to mine, just unfortunately happening to you in stock form. What elevation and temp do you race at, although as I type, I realize I could set the code at 1500 ft or 5000 ft above sea level...

Originally Posted by onfire
What other mods did you have with the stock intake but did not set a code at 170mph ? Stock tune at that time ?
I believe I was OK with a drop in K&N filter, ported TB, and B&B X pipe, and a mixture of Torco/91...
onfire (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Man, that sucks when you're at the track, and the car is stock, and you can't enjoy it!!

At first, I would only pop the code toward the top end of 4th, but once I had the ported TB and cold air, and "loaded up the car pretty hard in 3d, I could make it happen there as well.

Yes, it is not a specific speed, but related to loading up the car and being toward the top end of 4th, again, sometimes even 3d, and NOT heat related...

So again, your experience IS similar to mine, just unfortunately happening to you in stock form. What elevation and temp do you race at, although as I type, I realize I could set the code at 1500 ft or 5000 ft above sea level...

I believe I was OK with a drop in K&N filter, ported TB, and B&B X pipe, and a mixture of Torco/91...
That's interesting that those mods ran well, but add a cai that alters the maf output and it sets a p0106.

That tells you the map sensor itself is fine.

I'll look around and see if there are any gm tune changes in the output parameters of the 2017 map sensor. Most are a 0-5V output but they could have changed the corresponding values vs voltage.

One thing it points out for sure, your maf better be closely tuned for your mods for 2017.
jbsblownc5 (06-27-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 ZO6 hard acceleration, lost power at 130mph