C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why is the A8 only "bulletproof" in the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:17 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Yup, though for the volume the ZO6 A8 sells, how much difference AFM on that limited production actually makes for their CAFE average, who knows... can't be much.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Doug Z06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

What timing on this thread. I just picked up my 2017 Z06 on Thursday from the dealer. New transmission. 4500 miles. I don't think it makes a difference what car or what year the car, transmission is garbage.

I had a 2016 Z51 that had a bad transmission too.

What are the odds - 2 for 2 go bad. Still love the car and won't buy anything else... until the mid-engine comes out!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I read somewhere that the v4 v8 thing was fixed by a better tensioner. Not hear but some truck threads out there and maybe some Camaro threads out there. If you don't remember the question you asked Google it's futile.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:59 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

GM should run a campaign to remove the V4/V8 AFM mode.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-02-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:07 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
I read somewhere that the v4 v8 thing was fixed by a better tensioner. Not hear but some truck threads out there and maybe some Camaro threads out there. If you don't remember the question you asked Google it's futile.
There was a noise issue created by the serpentine belt tensioner in V4 mode and there was a separate issue with the LT4 supercharger belt creating noise but the major issue I believe people are focused upon mostly in the A8 threads is the shudder that is from V4 induced torque converter failure.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:05 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
That article also calls the 8L90E a "single clutch" transmission. That's either a misnomer or I misunderstand clutch to clutch shifting.
As stated above, you'll occasionally find mistakes on the GMAuthority website because non-engineers take info from engineers to form a press release/article and then try to add a little spin to it. One press release stated the pistons in the LS7 were forged...it took a long time to dispel that one.

The 8L90 has 5 clutches to apply/release and no sprag clutches (unlike the 6L80 which has one sprag clutch). If you want to find more info about the 8L90, you can check here:

http://www.atra.com/Webinars/GM/8L90_Introduction.pdf

I buy most of my technical books from this website to analyze the hydraulic circuits and get a general feel for what the engineers were thinking relative to certain design elements. My main background is hydraulics so I'm always interested in new developments. I'm sure they still have webinars you can sign up for if you really want to dive into a transmission and how it works.
The following 2 users liked this post by glass slipper:
djnice (07-11-2017), Is2scooby (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Torch Red Z06
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
I wonder why GM didn't delete the V4 mode on the ZO6 or at least make it optional with a switch, we are already paying the guzzler tax so what's the point of going to V4.
Agree
Old 07-11-2017, 11:40 AM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
GM should run a campaign to remove the V4/V8 AFM mode.

If you want a motor with one less set of problems. It has been a problem since day 1, on all cars and trucks. Salesman that are car guys, will try to steer you away from AFM. jmho. Ron B.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:46 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I don't know if it will help, but I only run my A8 in M mode. And I run the A8 in my ATS in M mode about half the time. Just more fun as well as a precaution I suppose.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:13 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

GM retained AFM on the A8Z even though it didn't pass gas guzzler in order to maintain their CAFE averages, that's all. Or laziness, but I assume CAFE.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:51 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

I know why. Someone at GM found some old blue prints on cylinder disarming technology. It's the curse of the 8-6-4 Cadillac motor of the 80's.
I'm afraid these cars will end up in the auto history books along side the Ford Edsel and most Fiats.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 PM
BPSCZ06
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The A8's are trash. Faulty converters, gm dealers replace them in Yukons and trucks left and right. GM knows it too. Thats why the 10 speed is coming to replace it. My 16 CTS-V needs a converter and V4 mode has been shut off. low rpm crusing the car has almost a misfire sensation from the TC.

Last edited by BPSCZ06; 07-11-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BPSCZ06
The A8's are trash. Faulty converters, gm dealers replace them in Yukons and trucks left and right. GM knows it too. Thats why the 10 speed is coming to replace it. My 16 CTS-V needs a converter and V4 mode has been shut off. low rpm crusing the car has almost a misfire sensation from the TC.
For years GM has also use their C3 technology to try to reduce low speed powertrain vibration and harshness. (C3 or capacity coupled clutch is one of the names they have used for a torque converter clutch that is designed for frequent lock/unlock cycling). This is what led to a series of material changes/upgrades to allow the clutch to withstand this sort of service duty cycle because they have gone through a number of sequences of torque converter clutch issues but just not to the level of what they unleashed with the 8L90/8L45 and its very aggressive clutch modulation. Trying to implement this flawed strategy is a perfect example of the British expression, "too clever by half" and instead of facing up to its failures the corporation has doubled down by continuing to throw new parts into the mix. Just disable the damned clutch modulation; I expect 99 out of 100 users would rather have a little vibration at times instead of the very real problems and failures caused by this terribly flawed implementation.

Apparently there was a suggestion contest at GM as to how can we make V4 mode worse and the winner was the person who came up with a way to greatly increase the damage done via V4 mode. Or for the conspiracy theorists this is the GM method of pushing electric powertrains-make the internal combustion powertrain annoying enough and people will run from it

Take a look at this link for some more info on the long history of converter clutch issues now culminating in the 8L90/AFM debacle: https://www.transtar1.com/TranstarIn...TLT-TC-035.pdf

Last edited by NSC5; 07-11-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NSC5
For years GM has also use their C3 technology to try to reduce low speed powertrain vibration and harshness. (C3 or capacity coupled clutch is one of the names they have used for a torque converter clutch that is designed for frequent lock/unlock cycling). This is what led to a series of material changes/upgrades to allow the clutch to withstand this sort of service duty cycle because they have gone through a number of sequences of torque converter clutch issues but just not to the level of what they unleashed with the 8L90/8L45 and its very aggressive clutch modulation. Trying to implement this flawed strategy is a perfect example of the British expression, "too clever by half" and instead of facing up to its failures the corporation has doubled down by continuing to throw new parts into the mix. Just disable the damned clutch modulation; I expect 99 out of 100 users would rather have a little vibration at times instead of the very real problems and failures caused by this terribly flawed implementation.

Apparently there was a suggestion contest at GM as to how can we make V4 mode worse and the winner was the person who came up with a way to greatly increase the damage done via V4 mode. Or for the conspiracy theorists this is the GM method of pushing electric powertrains-make the internal combustion powertrain annoying enough and people will run from it

Take a look at this link for some more info on the long history of converter clutch issues now culminating in the 8L90/AFM debacle: https://www.transtar1.com/TranstarIn...TLT-TC-035.pdf
Your right, GM is wrong but once admitted, it can almost destroy their bottom line with scores of honest/dis people wanting a new A8 across model years and brands. They are sitting back replacing what they can till a new better one comes along so the world can forget.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,675 Posts

If you go to the C7 general forum, the A8 has a bad rep. They've got stickies tracking failures, lots of people with bad experiences, lots of pouting.

But over here in Z land all is quiet about the A8... seemingly indestructible.

Is it just the torque converter that's different, or did they beef ours up in some other way too?

Curious as to why we seem to be OK but they have so many problems.
I don't know about all that...mine was dropped and torn apart in the first 6 months.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
I'm afraid these cars will end up in the auto history books along side the Ford Edsel and most Fiats.
You're seriously comparing the Z06 to the Edsel? I'd love to hear your reasons why.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:37 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

It's more than the converters. My 2015 Denali has the same A8 as the Stingray Corvette basically same engine. I had problems with it 2 months ago and they just pulled it and replaced with "new" A8. I was told all early 2014-2015 models A8's that have problems are just being replaced by a 2016+ model. The Zo6's didn't have that issue as they were built more robust because of the added HP. They dealerships aren't even messing with them they just diagnose there is a problem and pull it. I lived with mine acting funny for a year but like I was going to give it to my dad for his birthday I took it in and they replaced tranny had it back on the road in 3days total and drove off the lot with a new Denali HD!

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the A8 only "bulletproof" in the Z?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:02 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Dave, I think it's just percentages. there have been failures.
Including myself, I know 3 people in real life (outside of forums) that have C7's. The last remaining one was admitted to the dealer today with a bad torque converter, so that makes all 3 of us now.

My transmission has been removed from the car 3 times now. Also had the common belt tensioner failure, not to mention still fighting with the dealer over very hard/missed shifts and that thing where it feels like you get rear-ended switching from Park to Drive.

There's just no way around it, there's big problems with these cars. The problem is, so many Corvette owners put a measly 1,000 miles per year on their car. I guarantee these cars will go down in history as a complete cluster.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:05 PM
BPSCZ06
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Its not the cars, its the transmission period. No matter what car its in, its failing.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:24 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

You're seriously comparing the Z06 to the Edsel? I'd love to hear your reasons why.
I seriously can't convey my witty charm/humor on any forum.

I was over dramatizing the situation.

Quick Reply: Why is the A8 only "bulletproof" in the Z?