C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Katech 850hp Z06 @ M1 Concourse. Lap after lap, no power loss, water/oil temp ok

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Katech 850hp Z06 @ M1 Concourse. Lap after lap, no power loss, water/oil temp ok

It was a great day at M1 Concourse yesterday. I have been working there on the weekends as an instructor since they opened last year. A group had rented the track for a private day which was very laid back. No run groups. Come and go as you please. In the afternoon traffic was very light. A great day to get some good laps in. Track temperature was hot. I was seeing 80-84F on the display for most of the afternoon. Despite that, my 850hp Z06 was running cool thanks to the TIKT heat exchanger system, new TIKT front splitter with oil cooler, and E85.

Quick vehicle setup:
Engine: Katech Stage 3 LT4 plus some additional parts TBA
Fuel: E85
Horsepower: 850 (750rwhp, 740rqtq)
Aero: TIKT race splitter, Katech S3 end plates, Katech side skirts, Katech spoiler (no wickers), TIKT wing (middle setting), Katech diffuser
Radiator: Dewitts
EOC: TIKT
Trans/Diff coolers: Stock
HX: TIKT dual heat exchangers, stock bricks in SC
Brakes: CCM with Carbotech XP10s on front
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (fresh)
Suspension: DSC Sport controller, stock shocks, DSC street/track alignment settings

This was the second session of the day. Running consistent quick laps around M1 Concourse. To give you a frame of reference, anything under 1:20 is considered pretty good. Last year my personal best was 1:17 although I didn't really get much time in after the modifications. The track record is 1:08 in a modified Viper ACR by a garage owner. I'm not sure what tires. Yesterday I had a couple 1:12s and consistent 1:13-1:15s when traffic was clear.

I could really feel the downforce difference from last year, even with M1 being a tighter track. Notice the 1.4 lateral G.

As you can see below, the cooling was excellent. The water temperature didn't even hit 200F. The oil temperature was in the 220s, hitting 234F once. It should be noted that we are using the Katech oil temperature sensor relocating kit, so we are measuring the actual oil temperature going into the engine after the cooler rather than the hot oil in the dry sump tank like the factory. The TIKT heat exchangers in combination with the E85 kept the heat soak to a minimum. I set my personal best top speed at the end of the back straight of 133mph and you'll see contently it's 130+mph. The track record is 143mph by a Porsche 918 and driven by Matt Zurbrick who works at M1 every day. He said it was terrifying.

The tire pressure was getting too high so I pulled off the track, flipped on the intercooler pump override so the IC water is circulating with the car off, then set my tire pressures. After a few minutes I went back on the track for the last session of the day. So, these are nearly back to back sessions with no heat issues.

For the second time that day, the PDR recorded a lap time that was not accurate. As much as I'd like to be a second off the track record with a 1:09, I had to go back and verify it with a stopwatch against the video. It's a 1:12.67.

You'll see me get behind a blue Camaro for a few laps. I backed off to watch him for a while and practice some driving line things I wanted to work on. The car is so fast there is a lot to process during flat out laps. Sometimes its good to just back off a little and re-group or practice some things. It also gives me a chance to watch what our participants are doing.

It would be really interesting to see what this car could do with some slicks.

I drove home from the track, changed my clothes, then went out to cruise Woodward for the night with some friends. What an awesome dual purpose street/track car.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 07-16-2017 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

This is just my opinion, but if this kit can cool a car with over 800 horsepower in mid 80 degree weather, I think it will be good to cool a stock car in mid to high 90 degree weather.

Glad to see the kit is doing its job!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Jason,
Temps are impressive given that that car is generating lots more power.
What do you think the oil temp if you had not relocated the sensor ?
What is the the TIKT oil cooler setup? Any images / links?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Jason,
Temps are impressive given that that car is generating lots more power.
What do you think the oil temp if you had not relocated the sensor ?
What is the the TIKT oil cooler setup? Any images / links?
I don't know what it would be in the tank. It would be really nice to have both so we could see how efficient the oil cooler really is.

The TIKT oil cooler comes with the splitter. There is a gap between the fasica and the splitter that allows airflow to go to a long, thin oil cooler.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 958 Likes on 497 Posts

Jason, do you run stock seats and do you use a any sort of cage in the car? I have been doing a few track days and have been thinking about safety. Congrats on the car, it's a beast.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

E85 is amazing, I'm impressed with the oil temp And water, especially at that power. Is the car lowered, if so stock bots, spindles? Looks to be or splitter is lower then stock.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Really nice Jason. There is a software update to address the timing issue with the PDR. If you look at the bogus lap and another side by side you should see a 1.8s spike. It's a leap second in the GPS system.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Basil2000
Jason, do you run stock seats and do you use a any sort of cage in the car? I have been doing a few track days and have been thinking about safety. Congrats on the car, it's a beast.
Stock competition seats. I don't have a cage. My next safety purchase is going to be a HANS. I'm at M1 all the time now in various cars.

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
E85 is amazing, I'm impressed with the oil temp And water, especially at that power. Is the car lowered, if so stock bots, spindles? Looks to be or splitter is lower then stock.
It is lowered on aftermarket bolts. I raised the ride height this year because I don't think I was getting enough suspension travel when it was slammed last year. Plus I needed additional splitter clearance. It's still lower than stock though.

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Really nice Jason. There is a software update to address the timing issue with the PDR. If you look at the bogus lap and another side by side you should see a 1.8s spike. It's a leap second in the GPS system.
Oh how I wish I could have that. I've lost track of how many times I've been to the dealership for that update. I think it has been three. It's had a new PDR module installed, multiple attempts at programming. It always fails to program the latest update after like 23%. I've given up with the dealership and Rich Willhoff and I have been trying to figure it out. The only idea we have is that there is a code in the HMI module and we're going to try to program that first then program the PDR module. I just haven't had time and I don't want to risk one of the modules completely locking up right before a track day.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Stock competition seats. I don't have a cage. My next safety purchase is going to be a HANS. I'm at M1 all the time now in various cars.
If you are instructing in street cars, get a simpson hybrid. It works with harnesses and 3 point belts
Old 07-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
If you are instructing in street cars, get a simpson hybrid. It works with harnesses and 3 point belts
That's the plan.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
It was a great day at M1 Concourse yesterday. I have been working there on the weekends as an instructor since they opened last year. A group had rented the track for a private day which was very laid back. No run groups. Come and go as you please. In the afternoon traffic was very light. A great day to get some good laps in. Track temperature was hot. I was seeing 80-84F on the display for most of the afternoon. Despite that, my 850hp Z06 was running cool thanks to the TIKT heat exchanger system, new TIKT front splitter with oil cooler, and E85.

Quick vehicle setup:
Engine: Katech Stage 3 LT4 plus some additional parts TBA
Fuel: E85
Horsepower: 850 (750rwhp, 740rqtq)
Aero: TIKT race splitter, Katech S3 end plates, Katech side skirts, Katech spoiler (no wickers), TIKT wing (middle setting), Katech diffuser
Radiator: Dewitts
EOC: TIKT
Trans/Diff coolers: Stock
HX: TIKT dual heat exchangers, stock bricks in SC
Brakes: CCM with Carbotech XP10s on front
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (fresh)
Suspension: DSC Sport controller, stock shocks, DSC street/track alignment settings

This was the second session of the day. Running consistent quick laps around M1 Concourse. To give you a frame of reference, anything under 1:20 is considered pretty good. Last year my personal best was 1:17 although I didn't really get much time in after the modifications. The track record is 1:08 in a modified Viper ACR by a garage owner. I'm not sure what tires. Yesterday I had a couple 1:12s and consistent 1:13-1:15s when traffic was clear.

I could really feel the downforce difference from last year, even with M1 being a tighter track. Notice the 1.4 lateral G.

As you can see below, the cooling was excellent. The water temperature didn't even hit 200F. The oil temperature was in the 220s, hitting 234F once. It should be noted that we are using the Katech oil temperature sensor relocating kit, so we are measuring the actual oil temperature going into the engine after the cooler rather than the hot oil in the dry sump tank like the factory. The TIKT heat exchangers in combination with the E85 kept the heat soak to a minimum. I set my personal best top speed at the end of the back straight of 133mph and you'll see contently it's 130+mph. The track record is 143mph by a Porsche 918 and driven by Matt Zurbrick who works at M1 every day. He said it was terrifying.

https://youtu.be/W1z8VkB9O_Q

The tire pressure was getting too high so I pulled off the track, flipped on the intercooler pump override so the IC water is circulating with the car off, then set my tire pressures. After a few minutes I went back on the track for the last session of the day. So, these are nearly back to back sessions with no heat issues.

For the second time that day, the PDR recorded a lap time that was not accurate. As much as I'd like to be a second off the track record with a 1:09, I had to go back and verify it with a stopwatch against the video. It's a 1:12.67.

You'll see me get behind a blue Camaro for a few laps. I backed off to watch him for a while and practice some driving line things I wanted to work on. The car is so fast there is a lot to process during flat out laps. Sometimes its good to just back off a little and re-group or practice some things. It also gives me a chance to watch what our participants are doing.

https://youtu.be/vYavZPkOkPM

It would be really interesting to see what this car could do with some slicks.

I drove home from the track, changed my clothes, then went out to cruise Woodward for the night with some friends. What an awesome dual purpose street/track car.
Nice go-kart track not much out of 2nd gear...
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
Nice go-kart track not much out of 2nd gear...
Which means the thermal management displayed by this set-up is even more impressive than if done on a bigger track with more speed/airflow.
Katech_Zach (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

A8 or M7?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:55 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by azdanz06
a8 or m7?
m7

AZDANZ06 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:00 PM
cwylie
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What all is done to the engine?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by cwylie
What all is done to the engine?
Stage 3 package found here:
http://katechengines.com/performance...-corvette-z07/

Plus E85 and a few other development parts that are yet to be announced.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Which means the thermal management displayed by this set-up is even more impressive than if done on a bigger track with more speed/airflow.
I was wondering about that....Jasons average speed was 70-ish mph on the faster lap....I'm no thermal dynamics engineers, but I would think on a track that has an average speed of 90 mph, the thermal output of the engine is going to be a lot, lot more (like nearly twice the needed hp). Even with the additional air flow due to the faster speed, it isn't enough to overcome the added heat output the motor and drivetrain have to put out for that extra 20 mph average speed.

Any engineering types on here that could lend a hand to this question?

Get notified of new replies

To Katech 850hp Z06 @ M1 Concourse. Lap after lap, no power loss, water/oil temp ok

Old 07-17-2017, 09:06 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Jason,

What's your exhaust setup?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Pretty cool. Maybe I'll see it or you around sometime since I do some part time work there.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by lrobe22
Jason,

What's your exhaust setup?
American Racing Headers and Corsa Sport mufflers.

Quick Reply: Katech 850hp Z06 @ M1 Concourse. Lap after lap, no power loss, water/oil temp ok