C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSC controller questions to owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:41 PM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Has anyone installed the DSC controller in a recent build 2017 Z06 with Z07 package?

Was the improvement significant?

Those of you who did this install what USB cable did you use? Where did you buy it? How did you seal it up against the elements?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by why1504
Has anyone installed the DSC controller in a recent build 2017 Z06 with Z07 package?

Those of you who did this install what USB cable did you use? Where did you buy it? How did you seal it up against the elements?
I have a 2017 Z07 and could definitely tell a significant improvement, especially if you consider the ability to tune every aspect how you like it.

I don't have the USB cable installed at all. I did install it on my 2016 before WiFi was available but now I don't feel it's needed.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

I have the controller installed in my 2017 MN7 Z06 with J57 (Carbon Ceramic) brakes and definitely notice the difference.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:01 AM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

I can definitely feel the difference on my 2015 with considerable reductions in lap time. I purchased part # 087874 cable at Micro Center. 3' USB2.0 A0MINI-B for $14.99. Placed a very small zip lock bag over connector and tucked the cable back down into the area behind the clutch/brake cylinder reservoirs near the left front fender air intake. May possibly keep it a bit cooler there. The 3' cable only allows you a foot or so of extension beyond the engine bay, so you definitely can't reach the cockpit, but my wireless mouse will talk to it thru the windshield and I can set the laptop on the cowl to see it. Imagine you could go with a 6' cable to let it reach cockpit but that seemed like a lot of cable to have to coil up under hood.

You may also want to tape or somehow secure the mini USB end into the DSC controller so it does not pull out. I snipped a hole in the DSC provided port rubber plug, inserted the mini USB through the hole, then gaffer taped the plug and cable in place. Don't know if moisture could be an issue, but this will help mitigate it a bit. My only suggestion to DSC would be a better waterproof plug set up to securely lock the mini plug in place and make it waterproof.

One last note, my thanks to Bish for coming to my home to help me through the shock zeroing procedure. The Bish is tops!
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:01 PM
mtaylor
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Doesn't the controller also greatly improve straight line traction as well?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes. Coming out of turns you can apply a lot more power as you accelerate onto the straight. You will be impressed.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:00 PM
mtaylor
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Question was more about street use as 1st and 2nd are basically useless.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaylor
Question was more about street use as 1st and 2nd are basically useless.
So before I had a fantastic local shop dial in the DSC alignment specs as well as install the DSC V2 shock controller, the rear of the car would track to the right when I really got on the throttle from a standstill whilst in a straight line. Now, the tyres just spin up; the car stays straight and I hurtle on down the road.
Bish
Old 07-17-2017, 06:17 PM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks for the comments. The DSC Controller is on my list.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:30 PM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Ordered today.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:41 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Ordered today.
You are going to love it. Best $1200 that can be spent on a Z06 imho. Just get the DSC alignment set correctly from a shop that can set the rear caster properly.

Bish
Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 PM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by thebishman
You are going to love it. Best $1200 that can be spent on a Z06 imho. Just get the DSC alignment set correctly from a shop that can set the rear caster properly.

Bish
The alignment is the challenge.

I live in North Alabama and I "think" I have identified a shop in Nashville that can do the proper alignment.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

The alignment is the challenge.

I live in North Alabama and I "think" I have identified a shop in Nashville that can do the proper alignment.
Search your regional sub-forum here for recommendations re: 'speed' shops that can do excellent alignments. Another option is talk to owners in other car clubs such as the PCA; lots of those guys are track hounds and will know where to go to get great alignments. You can purchase the rear caster adapter pretty cheaply and take it with you which is what I did with my local independent shop.

Bish
why1504 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by thebishman
Search your regional sub-forum here for recommendations re: 'speed' shops that can do excellent alignments. Another option is talk to owners in other car clubs such as the PCA; lots of those guys are track hounds and will know where to go to get great alignments. You can purchase the rear caster adapter pretty cheaply and take it with you which is what I did with my local independent shop.

Bish
search resulted in the shop in Nashville.
thebishman (07-19-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:33 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

It's like putting your suspension in God mode.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Quick questions.

After i "read all" when I try to close it out the program it asks if I want to save. Do I save it or just close it? Also, same for when you "zero" the ride height sensors. Once you do that, do you need to save and close the program before removing the USB?

Final, I have the C7 module but defaulted to the Porsche 9x1 when I first "read all" and it seems I have all the cars and it's tuning software. Is this normal?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Originally Posted by Toilets
Quick questions.

After i "read all" when I try to close it out the program it asks if I want to save. Do I save it or just close it? Also, same for when you "zero" the ride height sensors. Once you do that, do you need to save and close the program before removing the USB?

Final, I have the C7 module but defaulted to the Porsche 9x1 when I first "read all" and it seems I have all the cars and it's tuning software. Is this normal?

Get notified of new replies

To DSC controller questions to owners

Old 07-23-2017, 04:54 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Quick questions.

When you zero the Ride Height sensors you need to follow all of the prompts when finished, including I'm sure hitting 'Save'.

Also, you have to set the board to the specific car. Its interesting that yours sets to the 911; mine always defaulted to the C7 Corvette. Again, I'm sure you'd need to 'Save'.

Also, you always need to 'Reset the Board' before you make changes iirc.

I'm not an expert; hopefully someone else will also chime in soon, but the above is what I've always done and what I believe is written in the instructions.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Thanks Bish. During the initial set up process where the tutorial asks you to select "read all" and run the process is where I noticed it was set to the Porsche. So I did the read all process of the Porsche then the Corvette however when I close the program out it always asks do I want to save. Problem is I didn't do anything but select "read all" and run the process so I am not sure if I need to save that or not. Ie. I don't want to over write anything by mistake.

I assume when I plug in the module to the actual car it will go to the corvette tune so let's see. I just don't want to run the Porsche tune by mistake.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:47 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Quick questions.

Save is only if you want to save the current contents of the DSC tuner program. You can either save to the default location on your computer or specify a new location by using save to. I haven't found any use for reset board since I always specify what pdts file I want read into the DSC tuner software if I'm not just reading the controller.

If you previously did a read all or did a read all and modified something and rewrote the controller you are saving the current settings in the controller.

If you are using the USB method of connection once you change the car designation to C7 it remembers it in subsequent uses. If using the WiFi it does not seem to remember what car you are using it on although it doesn't seem to matter as if you are lucky enough to have a read all or write all successfully complete it seems to be correct when compared to a stored in your computer pdts file which is directly loaded to the DSC tuner software.

I find it useful when doing a write to the controller to then do an open and load into the DEC tuner software a different pdts file. You can then do another read all and check to see what you thought you wrote to the controller is actually there.

Quick Reply: DSC controller questions to owners