C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

I swear it was Sirius causing my infotainment screen to go black

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I swear it was Sirius causing my infotainment screen to go black

I had the software update and the screen replacement done. The infotainment screen kept going black and the system would restart. However, ever since my Sirius trial expired I have not had a single episode (in weeks). I'm probably cursing myself now, but just thought I'd pass along a cause/coincidence.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

There is a known problem with the wire behind the screen in early C7 models. That could be your issue.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
There is a known problem with the wire behind the screen in early C7 models. That could be your issue.
Nope, had the screen replaced with the dealership thinking the same thing. It continued to happen after the screen was replaced. The day my Sirius trial expired it stopped happening.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

PD, I would suggest taking back to the dealership. Tell them you've had problems ever since the wire was replaced.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
PD, I would suggest taking back to the dealership. Tell them you've had problems ever since the wire was replaced.
lol I'm not sure if you're actually reading my posts or just deciding to randomly post your thoughts, but you should try reading them again and thinking about what they say.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

What a coincidence!! Sirius starts running a two week trial and now the system is rebooting again.

Is the Sirius module separate from the HMI? I just want to unplug it or pull that fuse.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:48 PM
ferraf
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pineapple Devil
I had the software update and the screen replacement done. The infotainment screen kept going black and the system would restart. However, ever since my Sirius trial expired I have not had a single episode (in weeks). I'm probably cursing myself now, but just thought I'd pass along a cause/coincidence.
Hi, I had this issue where 15 seconds the screen would reset going black for 5 seconds. Then stay on for 15 seconds then go black.... After 4 mins of this cycling it would just stay off. I had it serviced and it was the H.M.I. controller to the information screen, not the screen or the software on the controller, or loose wire. Once the HMI was replaced everything was working properly.

If this sounds like your issue ask about the HMI controller.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ferraf; 09-04-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by ferraf
Hi, I had this issue where 15 seconds the screen would reset going black for 5 seconds. Then stay on for 15 seconds then go black.... After 4 mins of this cycling it would just stay off. I had it serviced and it was the H.M.I. controller to the information screen, not the screen or the software on the controller, or loose wire. Once the HMI was replaced everything was working properly.

If this sounds like your issue ask about the HMI controller.

Hope this helps.

I tried convincing the dealership it's the HMI module and they just said they'd have to drive it around and keep testing it. Not a fan of an indefinite amount of mileage being put on my car from the dealership to try and reproduce something that isn't reproducible. I wish they'd just listen to logic because there is no coincidence in the timing of this.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:29 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

I have had Sirius in my 15 Z since I bought it and have never experienced any issues with it.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by BOBSZ857
I have had Sirius in my 15 Z since I bought it and have never experienced any issues with it.
Lol Thanks for the update, but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

What happens when you listen to XM Channel 0 which is on all the time? Or you could sign up for the XM 5 or 6 month deal for $20 or $30 and see what happens.

Bill
Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What happens when you listen to XM Channel 0 which is on all the time? Or you could sign up for the XM 5 or 6 month deal for $20 or $30 and see what happens.

Bill
I don't want service to the car. When it has service is when I get the reboots. The day after the trial ended it stopped. I don't know what happens if I put it on 0 because I've left it alone after I saw that it stopped when the trial ended.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Okay, this basically confirms it. It’s been about a month now and no HMI reboots since the Sirius trial ended. I went ahead and called Sirius and had them black list the car so that I’ll never receive a signal to the car unless I call in and okay it.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Well well well. It started back today. Haven't had a blackout since the last XM preview and it started back today. Called XM and they started a free preview "a couple days ago". Asked why I was told my radio was black listed when I called in a month ago and they said there's no such thing.

I went ahead and called Chevrolet customer complaints about this to escalate it beyond my dealership because I want the HMI replaced or something so that I don't get XM signal at all since when there is an XM signal for stations going to the car the screens/radio blackout.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:12 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  9.6 KBI think it's the Black Helicopters!
Old 11-19-2017, 10:06 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Yes but XM/Sirius is always on. You always have a preview channel usually channel 1. Not doubting your experience but I would think your problem is in the receiver unit for XM. Maybe the dealer can replace that unit.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:07 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

My buddy had the same problem. He called Sirius and they said it had nothing to do with them. He called Chevy to escalate it beyond the dealership. Chevy called him back 2 days later and told him to check his right rear tire pressure. Sure enough it was 27 instead of 30. He put it back to 30 and bam he hasn't had any problems for over 2 months. He still can't believe it..

Get notified of new replies

To I swear it was Sirius causing my infotainment screen to go black

Old 11-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
Yes but XM/Sirius is always on. You always have a preview channel usually channel 1. Not doubting your experience but I would think your problem is in the receiver unit for XM. Maybe the dealer can replace that unit.
That’s what the HMI is that I want replaced.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Pineapple Devil
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
My buddy had the same problem. He called Sirius and they said it had nothing to do with them. He called Chevy to escalate it beyond the dealership. Chevy called him back 2 days later and told him to check his right rear tire pressure. Sure enough it was 27 instead of 30. He put it back to 30 and bam he hasn't had any problems for over 2 months. He still can't believe it..
I’ll check it when I get home. Was that a cold temp or a warm temp?
Old 11-19-2017, 05:38 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

30 psi is recommended cold (as in overnite sit). But it's a good idea to check cold again when nite time temps drop back into 30s/40s & boost back to 30 psi. Summer/winter you kinda have to adjust as temps warm/cool overnite-never adjust just because you've been driving for a while in Aug & you see 35/37 psi on the DIC when looking at tire pressure. Don't laugh, I've seen posts where folks actually stop after 30-40 miles and readjust, then again in a.m. before leaving. Never cease to be amazed at some of the over-the-top suggestions/opinions.

Quick Reply: I swear it was Sirius causing my infotainment screen to go black