C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Speed limited in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:04 AM
thorissr
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Speed limited in 4th gear

I received a DIC message while testing my car's top speed that "134 mph speed limit reached". I was in 4th gear each time and I was able to reproduce this 2 other times. Sport mode, track mode doesn't affect this issue. No overheating{M7) no codes or anything else seems to be going on. Only mods are drop in filter and ported throttle body.

What could cause this message to appear at 134mph? I didn't attempt to exceed 134mph because each time I came off the throttle when this message appeared.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 10:44 AM
thorissr
Advanced

Originally Posted by thorissr
I received a DIC message while testing my car's top speed that "134 mph speed limit reached". I was in 4th gear each time and I was able to reproduce this 2 other times. Sport mode, track mode doesn't affect this issue. No overheating{M7) no codes or anything else seems to be going on. Only mods are drop in filter and ported throttle body.

What could cause this message to appear at 134mph? I didn't attempt to exceed 134mph because each time I came off the throttle when this message appeared.

Thanks
For those of you who may encounter this issue and for future reference:

I forgot I had a diablo 93 tune installed and reviewed all modifications I had made when I loaded the tune and I couldn't find anything that would cause this odd behavior. Even the speed limiter option was selected to "off". I ended up restoring my original backup and went to this desolate strip where I speed test and low and behold I reached 145 mph before coming off the throttle and no message was received. I repeated this twice with positive results.

I'm only to assume it was something in the diablo tune that triggered this DIC message. Guess I'll have to run without it now.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:16 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Not a track/mod guy, but just curious. Did it actually "prevent" you from exceeding 134 mph or just the "info"? If doesn't prevent you from going over 134 I guess it isn't hurting the car unless the tune begins to change air/fuel mix or knock retard or other critical dynamics. Anyway to read tune numbers while driving at that speed? Like I said just curious.

Last edited by madrob2020; 07-16-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I regularly see 150 to 152 mph in 4th when at the track. Tune is completely stock and there are no messages.

Bill
Old 07-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks
I hit the rev limiter the other week in my car , about 152 in 4th gear
Old 07-16-2017, 05:35 PM
thorissr
Advanced

Thanks, but rev limiter and speed limiter are 3 different limiters.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 PM
MikalMuh
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks
There is a selection in the DIC settings that allows one to set a predetermined speed. If the speed you selected is exceeded it lets you know. This is to help you avoid exceeding speed limits. I've set mine to 80mph and sometimes 95 when traveling. It comes on to let me know the speed I selected has been reached. This feature can be turned on and off in the dic. Yours is probably on and set at 135 mph.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 PM
MikalMuh
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks
Here you go (page 149 of Owners Manual)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 PM
thorissr
Advanced

Thanks,

That was the first setting I checked and it was disabled. I'm stumped on what could've caused that message to pop up. Anyway, after uninstalling the tune I didn't receive it. This morning I loaded the tune back and will see if it happens again later today. I'm curious if there's something in the tune that's causing this message to pop up at 134 mph. I noticed when modifying the tune that the "Speed Limiter" parameter is on by default, but I know for sure that I always turn that off along with DOD/AFM and CAGS. I left it in its default state for testing this afternoon.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:55 PM
thorissr
Advanced

I scoured the internet and the only situation that's close to what I experienced is located in the c6 z06 zr1 forum/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...igh-speed.html

I wonder if TC/AH were kicking in and at that high of speed displayed this message.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:15 PM
C8gman
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks
Had something like this happen to me yesterday. See my post in this section too.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

At 150 on the track I am shifting 4th to 5th. Have pulled 165 w/o any issues. Isnt the speed limit DIC setting like the Buick warning in the 60s where a buzzer went off as an indicator?

These are 2 separate issues. OP if you find it truly is the tune I'd reflash that ASAP. They put this in unknowly who knows what else they did that could be a major issue?

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 07-17-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Thanks, but rev limiter and speed limiter are 3 different limiters.
Doesn't really matter how many different numbers they are. The results are all that matter. If a speed limiter actually limited the speed in 4th to 135 or whatever people wouldn't see 152. Since a number of people are hitting the rev limiter in 4th they are still going 152 mph and not seeing any messages related to speed limiting. That means there is something different about your car.

Bill
Old 07-18-2017, 06:27 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Thanks,

That was the first setting I checked and it was disabled. I'm stumped on what could've caused that message to pop up. Anyway, after uninstalling the tune I didn't receive it. This morning I loaded the tune back and will see if it happens again later today. I'm curious if there's something in the tune that's causing this message to pop up at 134 mph. I noticed when modifying the tune that the "Speed Limiter" parameter is on by default, but I know for sure that I always turn that off along with DOD/AFM and CAGS. I left it in its default state for testing this afternoon.
If you ran into this problem using the Diablo tune your theory is probably correct.

When the Diablo tune originally came out for the 2015's the default top speed in the tune was 134 mph. Cost me a race against a Porsche turbo.
It seems to be one of those settings that is easily over looked in the master tune file when they make the master. I thought it had been corrected, perhaps it wasn't yet.

E-mail Mike at Diablo, tell him your problem and he will get you taken care of.

Last edited by dar02081961; 07-18-2017 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thorissr (08-13-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2017 Z06/Z07 A8 with 750 miles and one oil change. So I was going about 60
mph and decided one WOT would not hurt. Left in shifter auto and was in sport mode.
as you guys known when you stomp it all hell breaks lose so I was not watching Gage's.
by engine sound you can tell when your high enough that a shift is coming.
Well instead of a shift I hit rev limiter a just dropped in speed because I was so surprised that
several seconds when by. No bells, whistles, limp mode or any thing. I just continued driving normally.
Obviously I was not doing 200 in about 4th in traffic. I have searched and searched and cannot find
anything closer than this thread or topic. A lot of people describe this but no explanations. I am like everyone else
and avoid the dealer at all costs. Is there a brake in period that would cause this? A setting changed at dealer to assure
you get you three oil changes? A setting I am over looking? I.e. Any common thing I can try? I am in denial🤔 I can't keep retesting cause of CHP. HELP
SIGNED
DEALER TERRIFIED
Old 10-21-2017, 11:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly100
I have a 2017 Z06/Z07 A8 with 750 miles and one oil change. So I was going about 60
mph and decided one WOT would not hurt. Left in shifter auto and was in sport mode.
as you guys known when you stomp it all hell breaks lose so I was not watching Gage's.
by engine sound you can tell when your high enough that a shift is coming.
Well instead of a shift I hit rev limiter a just dropped in speed because I was so surprised that
several seconds when by. No bells, whistles, limp mode or any thing. I just continued driving normally.
Obviously I was not doing 200 in about 4th in traffic. I have searched and searched and cannot find
anything closer than this thread or topic. A lot of people describe this but no explanations. I am like everyone else
and avoid the dealer at all costs. Is there a brake in period that would cause this? A setting changed at dealer to assure
you get you three oil changes? A setting I am over looking? I.e. Any common thing I can try? I am in denial🤔 I can't keep retesting cause of CHP. HELP
SIGNED
DEALER TERRIFIED
Stomping on the gas went out in 1980. Lost you on the rest of the story! Sounds like you were not in drive.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Stomping on the gas went out in 1980. Lost you on the rest of the story! Sounds like you were not in drive.
i don't understand your nastiness which is un CALLED for and just plain weird. I was in drive not manual at WOT. The rest of the narration is clear and had I known something was going to happen I would have had recorders on. I was looking for help and not a wise ***. But let us not be hasty, perhaps there is a nugget of wisdom in you answer that I missed

Get notified of new replies

To Speed limited in 4th gear

Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Kelly,
Are you sure it didn't shift and then immediately activate traction control after the shift? It shouldn't take several seconds to recover but it does feel like longer than it is after traction control intervenes and reduces power. With cold tires (and they won't be up to operating temperature with normal street driving) the traction control intervention is very aggressive which is far better than an off road experience.

Take a look at this Youtube video and you can see the TCS activating at each of the first few shifts. If your tires were cooler and/or you were on a lesser surface the intervention would be much greater:

If you have the PDR option repeat this run and see if you have the TCS warning popping up on the video.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NSC5
Kelly,
Are you sure it didn't shift and then immediately activate traction control after the shift? It shouldn't take several seconds to recover but it does feel like longer than it is after traction control intervenes and reduces power. With cold tires (and they won't be up to operating temperature with normal street driving) the traction control intervention is very aggressive which is far better than an off road experience.

Take a look at this Youtube video and you can see the TCS activating at each of the first few shifts. If your tires were cooler and/or you were on a lesser surface the intervention would be much greater: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI_x2z38tr4

If you have the PDR option repeat this run and see if you have the TCS warning popping up on the video.
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES----know all were not for me. But there is some really good info that I didn't know was around. Hope the are more tips.

Now i I got to go to tranny area and find out why my trans mission temp always reads 0
Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

With dual coolers in the Z06 the A8 runs very cool unless you are driving aggressively. If you bring the gauge up as one of the pocket gauges on the sport display it will normally rest on the bottom at 100 for quite some time. At the tail of the dragon last summer mine hit a high of 126 degrees.

Quick Reply: Speed limited in 4th gear