C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Finished Navigation Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 AM
Kinsale
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Finished Navigation Install

When I purchased my 2017 Z06 2LZ, it did not come with the I06 HMI; no map unless use OnStar. Since, I wanted a full time map I was able to trade my I05 HMI for a I06 HMI with GPS. YouTube video makes it look very easy, but not so easy. However, I finished swapping out the HMI and the most difficult was removing the side pillar to be able to remove the left front speaker grill to drop the GPS wire through the speaker hole to the HMI. Not having ever done it before, I proceeded with caution and accomplished the task and buttoned everything back up and now I have the map full time. I did not want to pay OnStar and wanted the ability to see the map anytime. It was well worth the money and time. Although, my back says otherwise.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 AM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

Kinsale,
I have been fighting internally on this upgrade for approx. 6 months. I have a 1LZ that has the OnStar map feature only. All of my other vehicles have the map screen and I am accustomed and enjoy the map display. I know there may be other maps better and I really do not care. I simply want the IO6 map displayed like my other vehicles. The cost of $1000 is no big deal.
The only thing that has been holding me back is the pillar disassembly part. I have watched the videos and still do not feel confident with that part. Any advise? Thank you
Jeffrey
Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Kinsale
Instructor

Default Pictures

Originally Posted by jabeasley1
Kinsale,
I have been fighting internally on this upgrade for approx. 6 months. I have a 1LZ that has the OnStar map feature only. All of my other vehicles have the map screen and I am accustomed and enjoy the map display. I know there may be other maps better and I really do not care. I simply want the IO6 map displayed like my other vehicles. The cost of $1000 is no big deal.
The only thing that has been holding me back is the pillar disassembly part. I have watched the videos and still do not feel confident with that part. Any advise? Thank you
Jeffrey
What I can do is send some pictures of the steps I took and like you was not sure I could handle the task. Two options (1) install the new HMI and run the GPS cord in and along the crack in the panels up to the front speaker and with two sided tape stick it to the dash speaker grill. That is what I initially did. That works great and so what you have a GPS sitting on top of the speaker grill. (2) two is to do in the video. PM me your email and I will send you pictures of each step to place it under the speaker grill and I will make it simple.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 AM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Why not just use Android Auto or CarPlay? I bought a 70$ Samsung pay per use phone on Amazon and the $10 wifi plan from OnStar and I always have Google Maps. If you like Apple Maps, then use a spare iPhone or iPod. It hides behind the screen. The integration is much better than a navigation that may out date in a few years.

Last edited by xkilo16x; 07-17-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:25 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

So you added NAV to a Corvette that didn't have it from the factory? Post a couple of pictures of your install, and then I'll stop telling everyone who asks that it is impossibly hard to do! Sounds like it must have been a lot of work... hopefully the harnesses were all there for you.

Last edited by davepl; 07-17-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

I did the install when I had my '14 and its really not that big a deal. Took about an hour to do. My only question was when bringing the car in for service or warranty work would the dealer deny you because of the swap.

That being said on my '17 I still didn't order Nav and just use Waze on the iPhone or Apple Maps. Can't see spending $1000 when GM's Nav isn't all that great anyway.

BTW, here's a video showing how to install it

Last edited by Scoobydoobydoo; 07-17-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:58 AM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

XKILO16x,
Correct me if I am wrong but my 2015 Z06 1LZ did not have Apple Carplay or Android Auto. Everything I read says they started this in 2016.
thanks Jeffrey

Last edited by jabeasley1; 07-17-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Kinsale
Instructor

Default Map

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
So you added NAV to a Corvette that didn't have it from the factory? Post a couple of pictures of your install, and then I'll stop telling everyone who asks that it is impossibly hard to do! Sounds like it must have been a lot of work... hopefully the harnesses were all there for you.
Fair questions, but some of us old old guys like the map. I have found the 2017 I06 HMI is very much up to date. For a young guy install in two hours, old guy figure all day.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by jabeasley1
XKILO16x,
Correct me if I am wrong but my 2015 Z06 1LZ did not have Apple Carplay or Android Auto. Everything I read says they started this in 2016.
thanks Jeffrey
That's correct.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 PM
bbdmac
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I ordered the NAV but I've been waiting for Waze to become available for Android Auto because I love the fact that people tell you when Law Enforcement is in the area. For anyone else waiting for Waze on AA I believe it will be coming soon. I signed up to be an Android Auto Waze beta tester about two months ago on the Waze site and I've been using Waze on AA in the vette for the last 2-3 weeks. It's had some bugs but for the most part it's working. They seem to release a new version every week or so, and it's clear they're actively fixing issues. Hopefully the major release to the general public will occur shortly!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 PM
darrylj26113
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently purchased an IO6 unit for a 2017 Corvette Stingray 1LT. After having the unit installed I should be able to display the speed limit on the car DIC. I cannot do this. Any suggestion to what I need to do to allow the speed limit to display on my car's DIC?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Kinsale
Instructor

Default Clueless

Originally Posted by darrylj26113
I recently purchased an IO6 unit for a 2017 Corvette Stingray 1LT. After having the unit installed I should be able to display the speed limit on the car DIC. I cannot do this. Any suggestion to what I need to do to allow the speed limit to display on my car's DIC?
I admit that I am not the one to ask, but try digitalcorvettes.com, somebody may be up to speed on the subject. I traded my 2017 Z06 for a 2012 Mercedes SLS about 6 months ago. The Corvette is an exceptional car, but the SLS became available at a price I could afford, so I traded. The SLS has 563 HP, but 0-60 in 3.7 sec.. Can't remember what the Z06 did it in. Sorry I can't help you out.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Finished Navigation Install

Quick Reply: Finished Navigation Install