C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How to identify C7 ZO6 wheel cracks

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Schoony
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to identify C7 ZO6 wheel cracks

I have read several post from owners of C7 ZO6 that have experienced wheel cracks. Which appear to be the identical wheel style as my C7 ZO6 has.
my question to these owners that have experienced cracked wheels is:
  • In order to see if the wheels are cracked?
  1. Does the tire have to be dismounted to see if the wheel has a crack in it?
  2. Does the tire lose air pressure?
  3. What should I look for when the tires are still mounted on the rims?
  4. Is there a consistent area on the wheels that shows where the wheel is cracked?
  5. Is there any consistency what wheels are cracked? Right Front, Left Front, Left Rear or Right Rear?
I appreciate your feedback,
Schoony

Photo of my ZO6 wheel style and color. See above Photo for my post questions
Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Schoony
I have read several post from owners of C7 ZO6 that have experienced wheel cracks. Which appear to be the identical wheel style as my C7 ZO6 has.
my question to these owners that have experienced cracked wheels is:
  • In order to see if the wheels are cracked?
  1. Does the tire have to be dismounted to see if the wheel has a crack in it?
  2. Does the tire lose air pressure?
  3. What should I look for when the tires are still mounted on the rims?
  4. Is there a consistent area on the wheels that shows where the wheel is cracked?
  5. Is there any consistency what wheels are cracked? Right Front, Left Front, Left Rear or Right Rear?
I appreciate your feedback,
Schoony

Photo of my ZO6 wheel style and color. See above Photo for my post questions
1. No
2. Yes
3. Along the inside bead like the below pic.
4. Rears seem to be more common.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 07-18-2017 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SonnyAK (10-07-2021)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Schoony
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for your answers poor-sha!
Schoony
Old 10-05-2021, 03:14 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Had a rear crack on the inside at 17k miles with same wheels as shown above. I found it because it was leaking a pound of pressure a day. Went to the tire shop expecting a nail and they saw the crack. Roads here are terrible.
My Wheel/tire insurance expired 4 months ago. Had it welded up, retrued and rebalanced. We will see how long it lasts.

Last edited by dollarbill; 10-05-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

I concur with Porsha's comments, with the addition that it may take some time for air loss to develop. I found the cracks depicted in his photo (two cracks in one rear, one in the other) while I had them off for other reasons. In the 8 weeks waiting for my forged HRE's to arrive, including perhaps 800 miles of driving, I suffered no air loss. I still have not dismounted the tires; perhaps my cracks had not yet propagated all the way through.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:53 PM
ryryokeefe
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Found my RR had a slow 1psi/day leak this past weekend, decided it was a good time to replace all 4 tires (17,XXXmi) but just got word from my dealer that both rear wheels have cracks and need to be replaced. I know there's a class-action lawsuit against GM for these s#itty wheels but what recourse do I have as a second owner?
Old 10-07-2021, 03:37 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by ryryokeefe
Found my RR had a slow 1psi/day leak this past weekend, decided it was a good time to replace all 4 tires (17,XXXmi) but just got word from my dealer that both rear wheels have cracks and need to be replaced. I know there's a class-action lawsuit against GM for these s#itty wheels but what recourse do I have as a second owner?
None. And the class action suits go nowhere. GM will never admit they are at fault and have gotten most of the CA's thrown out of court. Your best recourse - buy monoblock forged wheels for $4k and up which will be the end of the wheel problems for you. Don't waste your money trying to fix the cracked ones or buying new OEM replacements. That's the sad reality.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:00 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

No air leak here, but as you can see.

Last edited by joemessman; 10-07-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:45 PM
ryryokeefe
Racer

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
None. And the class action suits go nowhere. GM will never admit they are at fault and have gotten most of the CA's thrown out of court. Your best recourse - buy monoblock forged wheels for $4k and up which will be the end of the wheel problems for you. Don't waste your money trying to fix the cracked ones or buying new OEM replacements. That's the sad reality.
Figured that would be the case. Not to beat a dead horse but shame on GM for giving us subpar quality wheels. I didn't think it would happen to me until it did and now here I am, less $2K for 2 new oem rears to solve the issue in the short term. — will be shopping for a forged set next season.

Last edited by ryryokeefe; 10-07-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:57 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ryryokeefe
Figured that would be the case. Not to beat a dead horse but shame on GM for giving us subpar quality wheels. I didn't think it would happen to me until it did and now here I am, less $2K for 2 new oem rears to solve the issue in the short term. — will be shopping for a forged set next season.
It's too bad that guys buying the C7 GS's and ZO6's don't always see the numerous cracked wheel threads before they buy the car. They're still great cars but at least if one knows the problem going in it can be factored into the purchase/negotiation. The last ZO6 I bought was used and I had them put it on the rack to check the wheels before I inked the deal. It had two cracked rims and we re-negotiated the price by 2 grand and that money immediately went towards the forged wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by tertiumquid:
joemessman (10-08-2021), ryryokeefe (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 01:09 PM
ryryokeefe
Racer

Here’s what mine looked like. As mentioned above, 2 cracked rear wheels but in reality it was 9 cracks total between the 2. WTF General Motors. This is not normal.

Old 10-08-2021, 03:25 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, it is normal for C7 wide bodies.

Get notified of new replies

To How to identify C7 ZO6 wheel cracks

Quick Reply: How to identify C7 ZO6 wheel cracks