C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Callaway with LG cooling solution installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:52 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by thebishman
Does this car not have the screens in front of the side mounted I/Cs? If it doesn't it's going to get expensive when even small rocks puncture the radiators.

A great set-up for managing the overheating issue Lou, and your work goes to show that all of the rhetoric re: the Callaway conversion itself running cooler than OEM, was in fact, nonsense.

Bish

Just curious what your beef is with Callaway? Your are as reliable of a hater as I am a fan...wondering where they wronged you.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
. . . .IMO Just accept the well deserved & paid compliment from them and move on....the rest of your post was petty & self serving.
This is a totally unnecessary, from every moral perspective, posting!!! It serves NO good purpose, and is very distasteful.
I do not know either of the gentleman, but this kind of thing is done with little forethought but just to be spiteful.

Last edited by Sk8Man_; 07-19-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Lou, if you and Reeves are the good buddies you say.... you should probably learn to spell his name correctly. I think you misspelled it about 20 times on this thread.

Second, I spoke with Callaway about this type of design and yes it was in process(before calling you) and you did beat them to market which was why they stopped development. However your name was pulled from that post b.c you made it seem like you were already collaborating with them on the project. That wasn't true. I remember the post. It seemed as if you were using their name to build cache for your product. Clearly you weren't the only one with that general idea bc the TIKT system was also developed...were you working with them also?

IMO Just accept the well deserved & paid compliment from them and move on....the rest of your post was petty & self serving.
Sounds like you might be on the Callaway payroll.......
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Devil:
LG Motorsports (07-19-2017), reasonable suspicion (07-23-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Sounds like you might be on the Callaway payroll.......
If I was I'd drive a lot cooler of a car than I currently do. I have owned a Callaway car in the past. I'm also good friends with some that work there. Inside track? Maybe...payroll/company spokesperson? No. My opinions are my own.

I do remember getting a call being told they were dumping the cooling option development bc of the other two that were going to hit market first.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 07-19-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Lou, if you and Reeves are the good buddies you say.... you should probably learn to spell his name correctly. I think you misspelled it about 20 times on this thread.

Second, I spoke with Callaway about this type of design and yes it was in process(before calling you) and you did beat them to market which was why they stopped development. However your name was pulled from that post b.c you made it seem like you were already collaborating with them on the project. That wasn't true. I remember the post. It seemed as if you were using their name to build cache for your product. Clearly you weren't the only one with that general idea bc the TIKT system was also developed...were you working with them also?

IMO Just accept the well deserved & paid compliment from them and move on....the rest of your post was petty & self serving.
Misspelling his name? I must not play golf. I bet he misspells my name too.
What is the point? I actually saved our communication and drawing exchanges so I know the exact truth and time line.

My post came AFTER my discussions with Reeves. Why is that so hard to believe?

The point to take away is that we were both working on the GM problem that GM said did not exist.

Also take away that LG motorsports did what we do best... we make street Corvettes better.

Now just to make sure you continue to dislike me, I will point out this from your post.
Your Quote: "I have owner a Callaway car in the past"

Thanks.

Lou gigliotti

And I don't mind if "Callaway" drops my name from time to time :thumbs

:

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 07-19-2017 at 11:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rsilver (07-21-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Misspelling his name? I must not play golf. I bet he misspells my name too.
What is the point? I actually saved our communication and drawing exchanges so I know the exact truth and time line.

My post came AFTER my discussions with Reeves. Why is that so hard to believe?

The point to take away is that we were both working on the GM problem that GM said did not exist.

Also take away that LG motorsports did what we do best... we make street Corvettes better.

Now just to make sure you continue to dislike me, I will point out this from your post.
Your Quote: "I have owner a Callaway car in the past"

Thanks.

Lou gigliotti

And I don't mind if "Callaway" drops my name from time to time
Dislike you? I don't even know you. My opinion is that you do play the martyr pretty well on the internet...which doesn't help your image. First it was the tires(which I agreed with you on), now this. Like I said before...did you consult with TIKT? It's the same design.

Thanks for for pointing out my typo I made from my phone, even though I fixed it before you ever posted. I'm not exactly sure what it proves but ok

Last edited by SurfnSun; 07-19-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 AM
LG Motorsports

Dislike you? I don't even know you. My opinion is that you do play the martyr pretty well on the internet...which doesn't help your image. First it was the tires(which I agreed with you on), now this. Like I said before...did you consult with TIKT? It's the same design.

Thanks for for pointing out my typo I made from my phone, even though I fixed it before you ever posted. I'm not exactly sure what it proves but ok
Really? You called me a liar, now a martyr because why? Because I took GM and Michelin all the way to the 5th circuit Court of Appeals for blocking me and my team from buying Michelin tires? I guess they were scared of something. (Loss of funding if an underfunded team succeeded.)

TIKT?? I had to google that when you posted it up to see what it was. A Good race solution but too grotesque for the street.

See, here is the thing. All these things that LG Motorsports does are really easy AFTER they are done and publicized and brought to market. Then they suddenly have an epiphany, and just like that---they brag how smart they are.

Bottom line, like it or not, WE did it and the others did not.

LG

LG Motorsports, the only independent Corvette team to ever out qualify the factory Corvettes.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 07-20-2017 at 12:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
360Lemans (04-29-2020), Dabigsnake (07-22-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:46 AM
LG Motorsports

All this because of some executives refusal to be accountable.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 07-20-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Pacembellum (05-06-2020)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:39 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

All this because of some executives refusal to be accountable.
Glad you tell it like it is. Gm should listen

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 07-20-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:56 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
To clarify, we have not experienced the issue with our manual transmission cars, when we prepare them for the track. The automatic cars, in most instances, are fine as well, except on certain circumstances, and certainly under high ambient temperature conditions.

...that said, nearly 2 years ago, we were working on a similar approach which around the start of the 2016 calendar year, we prototyped. LG beat us to market with a similar concept, Albeit a bit different in execution. The reports that we've gotten from several customers who installed the LG system, have all been favorable. There will be an article in the next corvette magazine, which hits the stands in a couple of weeks, featuring a Callaway SC757 Z06 w the cooling upgrade.

That said, our supercharger system and Design are proven, and speak for themselves. And for the customers who want to take the cars to the next level with a super cooling option - especially on automatic transmission cars, the owners all seem pleased with their decisions, from top to bottom, front to back. Thank you.

You should still do your own kit to complement the added power and have control on your package (quality and looks). The Callaway supercharger upgrade shouldn't rely on someone else intercooler upgrade to do well at the track.
I understood from Callaway personnel few months back in So Cal that they are working on stand alone kit.
Getting pass the publicity and sales talk about being the first to do something, No one is re-inventing the wheel. Its the same intercoolers / coolers layout that you see on many OEM cars with Turbo and supercharged. Just come up with something that is priced reasonable and looks good.

Last edited by 5thGear; 07-20-2017 at 03:25 PM.
thebishman (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Sk8Man_
This is a totally unnecessary, from every moral perspective, posting!!! It serves NO good purpose, and is very distasteful.
I do not know either of the gentleman, but this kind of thing is done with little forethought but just to be spiteful.
Sadly, I agree.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:00 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by AORoads
Sadly, I agree.
Perhaps it came off as harsh, but the matter remains. Surely Lou knows what he did and why the post was scrubbed. He told the forum that he and Callaway were working something together. I don't believe that was true, if I find out otherwise I am not too full of myself to apologize to him in public forum. Im not sure why he chose to bring that old thread back up. Callaway stated that his product works well and does what it is supposed to. IMO He should have just left it at that.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 07-20-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:23 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Our Oil cooler is a stand alone front mount cooler. No oil pressure or other operating issues.

We move the latest Trans cooler from the front to the rear keeping a dual trans cooler PLUS we add the high capacity trans oil pan.

I like the Calloway high reservoir tank. We will make an Aluminum or Plastic tank of our own later to shorten the bleed time on installation.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
I hope you guys do a reservoir tank either in the stock location or elsewhere with a bleed valve in it or some other device. I have your basic supercool kit installed in my 15 A8
and had a hell of a time getting the air out after vacuum filling it and also trying to remove air with the G speed dry brake set up at the fill port. I still had about 3 inches of air in the reservoir after doing that and bleeding the HX's.

Talking to your tech guys really helped. They suggested I remove the reservoir with the plumbing intact (the LG guys said it would look like an octopus, it did) and agitate it while running the SC pump only. I could see bubbles moving out the return line and air come out of the fitting mentioned above.
The reservoir agitation method described above worked well, it just took a lot of time. I already had the bumper cover off so you just have to remove the brake duct and the reservoir, a total of 6 bolts. I got almost all the air out, there is no bubble of air in the reservoir now but there are always tiny bubbles you can't get out.
Went to the track a couple of weeks ago but of course, it started to rain with 70 degree ambient. Not a good test but will do so on a hot day soon. We will see if I have to add the radiator and other components but for my level of driving it may not be necessary. I am doing a step by step approach.
LG Motorsports (07-23-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:42 AM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a Callaway. It is great but not perfect. I run on the street. I have a lot of upgrades (811/801 rwhp/tq). It runs hotter than I want (water & Oil) at all times even just cruising. I have a 180 stat and it never runs cooler than 200 water and 210 oil even on highway (I am in Florida and our temps suck). when cruising the IAT2 is 15-20 degrees over ambient which is fine. If i run hard, IAT2 doesn't rise (combination of Callaway and M1). if i let it sit in traffic the IAT2 gets much hotter than I like (Wish I knew what a safe limit was for IAT2). it is clear the cooling system sucks. I want to separate the system the way that LG and TIKT and Gspeed do. I like the look of TIKT best by far but the price is insane. I have LG spindles on my car and love the quality so I bet their system is a perfect fit. Gspeed looks good but not a lot of feedback. ZR1 will supposedly have a similar one too and I wonder how hard it will be to retrofit to my SC757 (C7 Z06). Wish there was a comparison of performance and install effort and fit. REALLY wish Callaway had developed their own system with or without LG. It would have been a MUCH better use of R&D time and likely sold better than the Station-Wagon/Aero-wagon/Flying-brake/Mullet that they shamelessly put together. I like Callaway and I like my Callaway but I have to call an Ace an Ace and a Aerowagon a Mullet!
The following 4 users liked this post by Adam Silver05:
cvp33 (07-22-2017), LG Motorsports (07-23-2017), Sk8Man_ (07-22-2017), thebishman (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:40 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Adam.

I've been called a Callaway 'Hater' within this thread when in fact nothing is further from the truth. They make/sell a fantastic product of high quality that does come with a limited warranty.

My issue is two fold:

One: the cost to make a relatively conservative amount of extra power is extremely high in comparison to other methods from various other 'Performance Shops'. I'm sure this is due to the fact that a great deal of the $19K cost is going towards paying for an insurance bond to pay for potential Callaway warranty repairs, but if owners are happy; it's their money;

2: Callaway always promoted their 757 pacakage as being able to help the car run 'cooler' than OEM. At no time did they state this was just pertaining to IATs due to their S/C design. In fact there were a few of us here using logic, stating that any additional power using the OEM radiator and oil cooling systems would inevitably lead to perhaps more overheating on a road course in particular versus a stock Z06. This was denied vigorously.

Anyway, your situation isn't at all surprising. My 2015, (an A8) runs at 192 dF constantly on the street both water and oil temps as it's supposed to do, unless I've been pounding on it a little, in which case both water and oil temps rise before returning to the above when I'm driving 'sedately'. On the track it's a totally different ballgame, in that I have to manage temps by moderating my driving style or the car will overheat.

No doubt you should invest in an LG system to keep your engine oil and water temps in check; in your situation and after spending what you already have, I certainty would. One thing though: since your engine is in fact now warrantied by Callaway, you might want to get it in writing that if you install an LG system or something similar, that if an engine issue arises, Callaway will still honour the warranty.

Bish
Old 07-22-2017, 05:37 PM
TG's Z
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the same concerns with warranty coverage. Since that is why I paid the big bucks to get the Callaway package and know for a fact based on personal experience it is works between Callaway and GM, I question how well it would work if one lost a coolant or oil line at the limit and did damage to the motor. While I consider this very low risk, based on the exchange earlier in this thread I am not sure what would happen. I would love to lower water and oil temps in my A8 SC757, but I need the facts and data to back it up and a much better understanding on the warranty concern.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:03 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I don't think anything short of LG's kit can fix the issues with an A7 in a stock Z06 or SC757. My experience has been that M7 SC757's do fine on a road course with 100 additional horses. There has been an issue with the coolant reservoir and Chris/Mike have been working with me to resolve.
360Lemans (04-29-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway with LG cooling solution installed

Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
I don't think anything short of LG's kit can fix the issues with an A7 in a stock Z06 or SC757. My experience has been that M7 SC757's do fine on a road course with 100 additional horses. There has been an issue with the coolant reservoir and Chris/Mike have been working with me to resolve.
GSpeed too.
According to Callaway they have validated their own stand alone cooling package and it should be released within couple of months.
The following 3 users liked this post by 5thGear:
cvp33 (07-22-2017), TG's Z (07-22-2017), thebishman (07-22-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 PM
LG Motorsports

Stay tuned for the next issue of Corvette magazine that has an article on this issue and our LG kit on a Callaway. We just sent the owner of the magazine car a transmission oil pan.

I have not seen the article yet.

Thanks

Lou gigliotti
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM
YELLOWDREAMZ
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Stay tuned for the next issue of Corvette magazine that has an article on this issue and our LG kit on a Callaway. We just sent the owner of the magazine car a transmission oil pan.

I have not seen the article yet.

Thanks

Lou gigliotti
Lou, I sent you a private message a few days ago. Also, thanks for the continued support of the Corvette platform
LG Motorsports (07-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Callaway with LG cooling solution installed