C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Automatic or manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
With all due respect, gentlemen. I have never met long time manual drivers that suddenly switch to Autos WITHOUT another underlining reason for doing so. For example, getting older, bad knees, wife must also drive, etc. I would bet my next paycheck that, if you both were in fact manual enthusiasts, you now fall into one of these 3 reasons for now going with an auto.
You can send me a check too.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
You can send me a check too.
Did you miss the part about getting older.

When you start to have trouble being able to walk and chew gum at the same time and/or have little hand/eye/foot coordination left an A8 is a perfect fit.

Chevy recognized this in their ever aging Corvette demographic, ergo an automatic. Other so called performance, high priced vehicles recognized this long ago. As the price goes up so does the median age of potential purchasers.

Next up will be a self driving controller so almost non existent vision and near infinite reaction time can be accommodated.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Rsaodom
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

It is not just an aging issue about the manual trans not being as popular anymore. Unfortunately many of the younger generation can't drive a stick. To them there is no choice but to get an automatic.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
When you start to have trouble being able to walk and chew gum at the same time and/or have little hand/eye/foot coordination left an A8 is a perfect fit.

Chevy recognized this in their ever aging Corvette demographic, ergo an automatic. Other so called performance, high priced vehicles recognized this long ago. As the price goes up so does the median age of potential purchasers.

Next up will be a self driving controller so almost non existent vision and near infinite reaction time can be accommodated.
People are arguing both - old people buy A8s because they're old, young people buy A8s because they can't drive a stick. Which is it?

If you actually take the time to look it up and do the math, since it's introduction in the Z, the adoption rate of the A8 has increased (obviously) while the average buyer's age has decreased.

Thus, the younger the Corvette demographic is, the more buyers select the A8. That's a fact, spin it however you'd like.

I suspect it's geezers with retro hero dreams of the M-21 that buy the M7. I wouldn't know, because I actually have a M-21, so don't need an M7 in a modern vehicle. Which beats being a punk that can't row a stick. Wait, which side am I on again? I keep forgetting...

(All in fun, they're a fine car with either transmission, but I'll defend the A8 as long as people want to complain about it)

Last edited by davepl; 07-22-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

With all due respect, gentlemen. I have never met long time manual drivers that suddenly switch to Autos WITHOUT another underlining reason for doing so. For example, getting older, bad knees, wife must also drive, etc. I would bet my next paycheck that, if you both were in fact manual enthusiasts, you now fall into one of these 3 reasons for now going with an auto.

No age or knee issues here, the A8 is just more fun for me. I've had many sports cars, have spent a ton of time on the track heel-toeing manuals, and all of my Vettes since 1996 have been manuals. Honestly, I really thought I'd miss the heel-toe especially given the time and effort required to make it second-nature, but I dont.

Last edited by RedLS6; 07-22-2017 at 05:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bad Dad (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually, the A8 is by far the most popular transmission with with the younger guys who are out to set good ETs at the dragstrip. Why? It's simply faster. If you look at the "fast list" sticky, and go to post #255, you'll notice that the "fast list" is almost entirely A8s.

An auto is also much more consistent than a manual, which is pretty important if one bracket races.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 07-22-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually, the A8 us by far the most popular transmission with with the younger guys who are out to set good ETs at the dragstrip. Why? It's simply faster. If you look at the "fast list" sticky, and go to post #255, you'll notice that the "fast list" is almost devoid of M7s.
Exactly
I love a stick, but I race the 1320. And when did age ever come into play.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Dad
Exactly
I love a stick, but I race the 1320. And when did age ever come into play.
understand A8 for the strip
but a demon may be the better choice.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've survived being wounded in Vietnam and Agent Orange related cancer. I look at life a little differently. I figure if I stay with the status-quo and never try anything new or different, I'm going to miss out on some pretty cool experiences. As I said, I've had manual transmission performance/sports cars most of my life and wanted nothing more than to experience the A8. I haven't been disappointed in the least.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:41 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jsilvester81
Demon is a limited production car, If I mod my z just a little more the weigh diff will do the Job.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:49 PM
rodney123456
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

arent they having major problems with the a8 i too am looking at buying my first vette but am confused dont want it to sit in shop a lot of money
Old 07-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Apparently, I owe a few people a check. I call BS, meet me at the precinct and we can hook you up to a polygraph.

You all are getting old and don't feel like shifting! Say the truth.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

One-trick pony. The Corvette does everything quite well.
But it's also worth mentioning that the Demon, aimed at being a drag car, is only available with an automatic. Ever wondered why?

Apparently, I owe a few people a check. I call BS, meet me at the precinct and we can hook you up to a polygraph.

Better yet, let's meet at the gym, and see who is more physically capable. I'll be happy to pick you up at the Detroit airport.

Even better, drive your M7 out here, and lets see which of us can get a better time at the dragstrip in your gear-rower.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 07-22-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:34 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bad Dad
Demon is a limited production car, If I mod my z just a little more the weigh diff will do the Job.
Plus, the Demon is well...damn ugly! I know it's fast and i know there are going to be a lot of street racers buying it, but the slap on fenders and the Mopar parts isn't enough to make me convert. Throw some road course curves into the mix, and it's over for the Demon. However, I'm sure a few home town heroes are going to win some red light street drag runs and go home and tell their friends how they smoked a Vette.

Last edited by MSG C5; 07-22-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:40 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I spent 37-years in law enforcement and dealt with many shiftless characters, but that didn't sway my choice of transmissions. The polygraph isn't admissible in court or on the Corvette Forum. Pay up!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Better yet, let's meet at the gym, and see who is more physically capable. I'll be happy to pick you up at the Detroit airport.

Even better, drive your M7 out here, and lets see which of us can get a better time at the dragstrip in your gear-rower.
whoa, whoa whoa, wait...People still live in Detroit? I take it all back, you must be a bad ***.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I spent 37-years in law enforcement and dealt with many shiftless characters, but that didn't sway my choice of transmissions. The polygraph isn't admissible in court or on the Corvette Forum. Pay up!!!
I support cops, and their choice of transmission. Thank you for all the sacrifices you have made for the people of your city. I mean that. I have 13 years in the Navy (7 more to go). It's a shame that the Police do not enjoy the same support as our military. I would love to put some of these police bashers in a squad car at night and have them patrol.
The following users liked this post:
DevilDog II (07-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic or manual transmission

Old 07-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

One-trick pony. The Corvette does everything quite well.
But it's also worth mentioning that the Demon, aimed at being a drag car, is only available with an automatic. Ever wondered why?

By physically capable the combination of power/speed/strength/endurance/Mobility

or who can bench the most?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:32 PM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

By physically capable the combination of power/speed/strength/endurance/Mobility

or who can bench the most?
How about who can pee the farthest?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Plus, the Demon is well...damn ugly! I know it's fast and i know there are going to be a lot of street racers buying it, but the slap on fenders and the Mopar parts isn't enough to make me convert. Throw some road course curves into the mix, and it's over for the Demon. However, I'm sure a few home town heroes are going to win some red light street drag runs and go home and tell their friends how they smoked a Vette.
I love the strip but I will race a demon in Mexico and I cant wait

If I ever see one

Quick Reply: Automatic or manual transmission