C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Automatic or manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 01:52 AM
VegasC7Z06
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove both and ordered the manual. Very happy with it. Like the post above states, drive both and decide for yourself.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:54 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,099 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

A8 is GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 07-20-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Do you even have a C7 Z06? If not, GTFOD and stop posting **** you obviously know nothing about. This is the Z06 board...not the Z06 dissing board. In case you don't understand what that means, it's for people who either own, or want to own a Z06...and who are interested in knowing more about the car, good or bad. Your comments are baseless and are of ZERO help to the OP, or anyone else here. You're a troll.

@ the OP...auto IS faster...unless you're that one in a million driver that can beat the A8. The A8 does everything the M7 does, but without the rowing. You can leave it in D...or paddle shift at will...and force it back to D at will, all without taking your hands off the wheel, as you please.

The A8 has a few odd quirks, but they are really few and very minor...and nothing that should stop a buyer from buying an auto C7Z. It's my weapon of choice, and while my PDK's are better (and much more $$$), the A8 is still a very decent piece of hardware, and then some.

I have several high performance cars, some with auto and some with stick...and my last Z06 was stick. I wouldn't buy an M7 today, only because I prefer the A8 for traffic...and it is less work overall, obviously.

It is reliable and robust. YMMV and it is a personal choice though...
the A8 reliability is a toss up.
look at all the TC failures in other threads
my 15 Denali had a failed TC which is the same basic
structure as the C7
Old 07-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

To each there own. I tried 3 separate A8's paddle shift lag killed it for me.

I dont drive in traffic fortunately and have other cars all automatic. I really tried to like the auto. GM marketing
2.95/10.95!!! Who wouldn't want that instead of 3.15/11.15??? I am a numbers guy that's why I tried so hard to love the A8.

Ultimately I bought a new 17 z06/z07 M7
I installed a MGW short throw/Mamo TB/corsa Xpipe/green filter with in a few weeks of ownership.

personaly I feel GM should have put a tighter/crisper shifter as OEM. Other than that the active rev match is so visceral. 5th to 2nd pulls in track mode just intoxicating.

I drive my car hard in a 100 degree Texas summer.
this car stays so cool. Extra auxiliary radiators to keep cool. A8 gets nothing doesn't fit. Is it a coincidence that sport auto mag in Germany runs the 1st ever complete lap of the Ring with a stock version of my 2017 z07 M7???

i think not.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:02 AM
Torch Red Z06
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Don't take this personally as I have a history of "rolling my eyes" at people that can't make a simple move with the little finger of their left hand every so often to affect a downshift. Just a left pinky pull and you are down a gear. And if you need to go down 3 or 4 gears as you slow down quickly do a quick 2 pulls with the pinky finger and hold it closed on the second pull and the A8 will drop to the lowest gear it can safely engage given your speed when you do the double pull. The other cool thing about this is it rev matches as it downshifts and everybody around you starts wishing they were you particularly if you have the exhaust baffles open.

Additionally both Audi Engr and BMW M bosses have made statements that the torque converter A8s will take over for DCTs in their cars. Look at the Audi 2018 offerings with A8s rather than DCTs. So if you must have a DCT buy one used or buy one quickly.
I'm not taking it personal, I was just stating a fact. I was answering his question. You don't need to instruct me on how to drive in manual mode with the paddles. I know how to downshift with the paddles. I was basically comparing our A8 with a PDK as is in the 911. The 911 downshifts automatically in manual mode. I think that is awesome. The PDK is superior in that manner to our torque converter transmission. The Corvette will probably see a DCT in the mid engine. Until then we get a torque converter transmission in our Z06's. It's not a bad transmission but has limitations. I love my A8.
The following users liked this post:
FastestBusaAround (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:10 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

The auto is faster, or a better choice if your corvette is a daily driver, my corvette's have never been daily drivers, so all 12 of them have been stick shifts, for how I use my corvette's the stick is just more enjoyable for me
c5arlen (07-22-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I came from a H/C C6 Z06. All of my sports cars have been a manual transmission. I would have never purchased an automatic Z06 until the A8 came out.

For me I went with the fastest one, a base model A8 with stage 1 aero package.

Last edited by Chonger; 07-20-2017 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-20-2017, 08:18 AM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

As suggested already - test drive both. I test drove the automatic and within 60 seconds, knew that I enjoyed rowing through the gears too much to give it up. I love my M7!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

One definite advantage of the A8 is theres 5 Times more of them to choose from.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
No don't own one, haven't and wouldn't...JMO...Hope yours stays issue free/
Dude your clueless about high performance cars. Zero high performance cars over 500hp are "issue free" if you truly Push them. Get some real world experience before you speak out of your large Crack again.

To the op my personal preference is to row gears in fast cars, but I don't drive in heavy traffic everyday either. Like others said, drive both and you choose.

Last edited by Cercone; 07-20-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Once we sort out the A8 vs M7 dilemma, would someone please tell me what the best motor oil is for my car.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:52 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

My first seven Corvettes were manuals. I was convinced to try the A8 in my '16, Z06. I lasted 8 months with that set up and should have an M7 '16 or '17 Z06 in my garage very soon. The A8 is a fabulous transmission in my opinion. It was crisp with lightning fast shifts in the Z06 and great in my ATS daily driver. I simply don not like an automatic in a sports/performance car.

Honestly who here is really going to "feel" the difference in a car that does 0-60 in one or two fewer tenths of a second. These cars are just crazy fast as is stick or automatic. Anyone who bases his selection of transmission config. based on which one is perceived as faster is making a huge mistake as I did.

Last edited by punky; 07-20-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I have always owned a manual V8 performance car as my daily driver. The heavy traffic and the dual disk clutch of my ZL1 ended that for me. I love shifting gears and for a weekend car I would consider it. That being said the A8 is great for daily driving and those that complain about the shift need to drive the car more. It learns your driving style and the more you drive it learn what you want. Also when you drive it hard and the car goes into Performance Mode it is insane. Shifts are crazy fast. There is a bit of response lag in Manual mode between the paddles and the trans shifting. But after a short time you get used to it and it is 2nd nature. As a manual car driver I kind of think of it like shifting a fast reving car. You don't shift at redline but early because if you don't you will hit the limiter.

Only reason to purchase a manual is if you are going to track and can push the car into overheat. I ran an auto'17 Z at spring mountain in June. Air temp was in the 90's and I never overheated. I was the fastest in my class and the car never blinked. Highest oil temp was 270 F. So you can run the car on the track but if I was buying for track use I would 100% buy a manual.

End of day. Buy what you want. Either choice will be fun.

Last edited by BladeZ06; 07-20-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:29 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 247 Posts

I don't think you need to drive both, you know what's to be expected and you know what driving conditions you'll be in. Pick the option which suits your needs/wants any buy with confidence.
I went A8 after owning all manual vehicles. Reasoning, it's faster, more convenient ... And ... it's faster!
C7/Z06 Man (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:40 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by BooSSted
I don't think you need to drive both, you know what's to be expected and you know what driving conditions you'll be in. Pick the option which suits your needs/wants any buy with confidence.
I went A8 after owning all manual vehicles. Reasoning, it's faster, more convenient ... And ... it's faster!

I have 8 months in an A8 and a few long days in the M7 and can tell you that there is no way anyone is going to feel any difference. The SOTP meter is quite flawed. Not to be a dick here but you will also never do a 2.95 second 0-60 in your A8 either. Who can tell the difference of a mere .1 or .2 seconds 0-60?

Last edited by punky; 07-20-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Scoobydoobydoo (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Originally Posted by punky
I have 8 months in an A8 and a few long days in the M7 and can tell you that there is no way anyone is going to feel any difference. The SOTP meter is quite flawed. Not to be a dick here but you will also never do a 2.95 second in your A8 either. Who can tell the difference between 3 seconds and 3.2 seconds 0-60.
Stop it, line up your car mod for mod in the 1/4 you will lose... Match exact driver skill levels around a road course, you will again lose, well the M7 will. I could careless about advertised car/driver 0-60 times. Go to any local track and view real world results.
C7/Z06 Man (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Stop it, line up your car mod for mod in the 1/4 you will lose... Match exact driver skill levels around a road course, you will again lose, well the M7 will. I could careless about advertised car/driver 0-60 times. Go to any local track and view real world results.
Maybe you should learn how to read before you start lecturing anyone. At NO point did I state that the A8 is not faster than an M7. This has been shown to be the case and well documented so we don't need an A8 chest beater pontificating here. My point was that one will not ever feel the small differences in 0-60 and 1/4 mile metrics. Hopefully that is not to tough for you to process and understand.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic or manual transmission

Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Originally Posted by punky
Maybe you should learn how to read before you start lecturing anyone. At NO point did I state that the A8 is not faster than an M7. This has been shown to be the case and well documented so we don't need an A8 chest beater pontificating here. My point was that one will not ever feel the small differences in 0-60 and 1/4 mile metrics. Hopefully that is not to tough for you to process and understand.
"Not to be a dick" but you should stop diving nuts first in to motortrend to come puke the same info back in the forums. My point was its FASTER, period ... You proceeded to say the metric of .1-.2 won't be felt... By the butt dyno? But you're wrong and for anyone even asking a question of what trans to get, I will assure you the difference in times will be much higher than .1-.2.
And your 'metric' doesn't mean anything if you're referring to the same instruments gathering the 0-60 or 1/4 data (as being inaccurate). Or are you again referring to stuff you've seen online/mags? Do you have time slips from both cars with you in them with .1 - .2 difference? If not STFU .. Good day!
The following 2 users liked this post by BooSSted:
C7/Z06 Man (07-20-2017), sam90lx (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Gkabc7
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I totally agree with the poster above, drive both even in a gs in all practicality the gs is a lot of car for the street but if your like most of us you want the rocket ship.I have an audi a8 and my z a8 they both shift wonderfully smooth.But as others have said it wont downshift on its own one thing I do like when your in gear there is a small number next to the D representing the gear your in while upshifting or manualy down shifting,but if your on it best to watch the road.Still very new to this beast my 08z obviously had an m6 but this car rocks.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:36 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

"Not to be a dick" but you should stop diving nuts first in to motortrend to come puke the same info back in the forums. My point was its FASTER, period ... You proceeded to say the metric of .1-.2 won't be felt... By the butt dyno? But you're wrong and for anyone even asking a question of what trans to get, I will assure you the difference in times will be much higher than .1-.2.
And your 'metric' doesn't mean anything if you're referring to the same instruments gathering the 0-60 or 1/4 data (as being inaccurate). Or are you again referring to stuff you've seen online/mags? Do you have time slips from both cars with you in them with .1 - .2 difference? If not STFU .. Good day!

STFU? Yeah OK Pal.

Once again there Mr expert, we know the A8 is "faster". What part of that do you not understand? What time of day do you start drinking?

Last edited by punky; 07-20-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Automatic or manual transmission