C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Automatic or manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

... Why part of the day do I drink??? Maybe I should ask you the same. Edit that bud. Post slips to support your "slight difference that you won't notice" ... Or don't address me further in this thread.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:50 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Ah yes, behold the expert who can "feel" the difference of a couple tenths of a second 0-60. You can feel that? Yeah, sure you can.

Last edited by punky; 07-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 PM
Larry Bittner
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Although I have been a track junkie for 20 years owning 4 manual Z06's my current C7 is an A8. While many of the old school guys, like me, have a hard time buying an automatic, the new transmission are very good. I did have over heating issues with my 16 and hopefully the 17 I have purchased will be good. If on the track you never let the RPM's drop below 5,000 with an M7 it may also overheat, but when shifting a manual the RPM,s frequently drop. If you drive the A8 with paddles as you would a manual not driving to redline, it should be OK. As for the street it is personal preference.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
One definite advantage of the A8 is theres 5 Times more of them to choose from.

yes

autos flood the market. GM is selling autos like crazy.
I feel that the car has lost some of its hard core enthusiast roots especially since A8 z06 verts exist.
17' M7's are the fewest made yet and this is the car that doesn't heat soak.. go figure.

At the end of the day GM needs to sell cars.

if a DCT existed in c7 form along with the A8 and M7
the A8 would more than likely be left on dealers lots
wasting space. This would be a great experiment bc GM thinks it transmission is better than a DCT.
let the consumers vote w their hard earned money.

But since that's not the case, A8 will remain the mass produced transmissions in all c7 variants.

The A8 is good enough for most

words of wisdom
don't drive a Porsche GT3 PDK
then jump into an A8 vette
the A8 will get exposed.

Last edited by Jsilvester81; 07-20-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
The A8 runs a better 60' and is quicker off the line and ultimately quicker down the 1/4 mile. I'm not convinced it would be faster from a roll or faster around a road course.
A8 shifts faster
M7 has less HP loss from drive train

based on GM's performance data both cars take 8sec
60-127

A8-2.95/10.95@127

M7-3.15/11.15@127
Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

My auto was a GS so maybe the Z is different. For me the auto in manual mode is fun and does good on canyon roads, but there is a lack of feel that is hard for me to get used to. When not in manual mode it would up shift and not be ready for applying throttle at the apex. So it is constantly shifting when I don't want it to even when in performance shift mode. Then in manual mode it locks and unlocks the TCC every time I shift or accelerate. I decided for a sports car I wanted full control so I went with manual in the Z.

For daily driving there are definitely times I wish I had the auto such as traffic or just cruising around and not wanting to concentrate on shifting. If you are looking for faster street racing, drag racing, etc. the auto goes faster without thinking about it. You can make the manual go as fast it just takes more concentration. The rated acceleration numbers are so minor of a difference it really doesn't matter. The issue is how fast can you drop to the correct gear and get on it.

Last edited by djnice; 07-20-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:43 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by BooSSted
... Why part of the day do I drink??? Maybe I should ask you the same. Edit that bud. Post slips to support your "slight difference that you won't notice" ... Or don't address me further in this thread.

See post #46 in this thread Dude.

Very simple, straight forward GM data that apparently you are not aware of. Take some time and let it sink in Pal and then tell us how you could feel any difference in those 2 configurations. Wise up.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by B's Z06
I'm in the market for a 2018 Z06, but I'm really torn between an automatic or manual transmission. I've always had a manual, but I hear the automatic is faster. I'm looking for pros/cons, and are any of you unhappy with the choice you made?
I have an 2016 A8 Vert Z06 which I purchased when DSOM was discontinued. It had every option I wanted except a manual trans. After driving a manual transmission on my Fun cars exclusively for almost 20 years, I can honestly say I love the A8.

However. After 18 months of owning it, if I could snap my fingers and have a manual...I would. My advice. It's a GREAT transmission. But if you love rowing through the gears, do not compromise. Get a manual.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:50 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Originally Posted by punky
See post #46 in this thread Dude.

Very simple, straight forward GM data that apparently you are not aware of. Take some time and let it sink in Pal and then tell us how you could feel any difference in those 2 configurations. Wise up.
Here you go... I said for YOU to post YOUR slips with this same difference. I know what GM and every car mag says. In optimal test conditions , best case scenarios the cars do A.B.C... Now take the real world results. The avg novice driver which 99% of corvette owners are will not constitently churn those same times out of the M7 for sure.
You should wise up and go look at the fast lists for the Z and Stingray. Stop riding others comments, come with your own facts.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:52 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jsilvester81
yes

autos flood the market. GM is selling autos like crazy.
I feel that the car has lost some of its hard core enthusiast roots especially since A8 z06 verts exist.
17' M7's are the fewest made yet and this is the car that doesn't heat soak.. go figure.

At the end of the day GM needs to sell cars.

if a DCT existed in c7 form along with the A8 and M7
the A8 would more than likely be left on dealers lots
wasting space. This would be a great experiment bc GM thinks it transmission is better than a DCT.
let the consumers vote w their hard earned money.

But since that's not the case, A8 will remain the mass produced transmissions in all c7 variants.

The A8 is good enough for most

words of wisdom
don't drive a Porsche GT3 PDK
then jump into an A8 vette
the A8 will get exposed.
Agreed, DCT and the A8 aren't in the same league regardless of what GM what's to say. Hopefully one day we get this sort of solution. Honestly driving a stock A10 ZL1, that trans felt great. IMO it's a notch above the A8.

Last edited by BooSSted; 07-20-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by BooSSted
Here you go... I said for YOU to post YOUR slips with this same difference. I know what GM and every car mag says. In optimal test conditions , best case scenarios the cars do A.B.C... Now take the real world results. The avg novice driver which 99% of corvette owners are will not constitently churn those same times out of the M7 for sure.
You should wise up and go look at the fast lists for the Z and Stingray. Stop riding others comments, come with your own facts.

Oh, OK, now we get it. You know more than GM, the Automotive Press, and independent testers. It is obvious that your reality is what is in your simple, closed, little, mind. You got issues Dude. I am done with you.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The bottom line is it's a personal choice. Berating each other over which is best diminishes the Corvette hobby. I learned to drive a manual but all but three of the cars I've owned have had an auto. I don't drive a manual any different than an auto. Since my 59 year old knees have had enough abuse over the years I am relegated to owning auto trans cars from now on unless I opt for surgery which is currently not necessary.

I had a 2013 427 convertible that I loved to drive. With 12 traffic lights and 5 stop signs on my commute to work the rowing got the best of my left knee and made the car uncomfortable to drive. The other driving I do is mostly interstate so no real need to shift for myself there either. I traded it for a 2007 Ferrari F430 with the F1 trans. No third pedal. Fun car but high maintenance. Traded the F430 for a 2016 Jaguar F Type R with 8 speed auto and bought a 2017 Z06 A8 to join it. My 2006 is also an auto (A6). I have plenty of fun driving these cars with no worries of inflaming my knee.

Again, it's a personal preference. I have friends in their 70's that will only have a manual trans. Her 3 series BMW is a manual and his 2013 GS is a manual. Unfortunately for you manual trans guys I think your days are numbered and the manual trans will go the way of the carburetor. Most if not all of the high end Euro cars have gone to 2 pedal and it won't be long before the US and Japan follow.

My $.02 on the subject. Enjoy your car(s) regardless of your trans choice.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 07-20-2017 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
silver74vette (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Deslok
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Don't take this personally as I have a history of "rolling my eyes" at people that can't make a simple move with the little finger of their left hand every so often to affect a downshift. Just a left pinky pull and you are down a gear. And if you need to go down 3 or 4 gears as you slow down quickly do a quick 2 pulls with the pinky finger and hold it closed on the second pull and the A8 will drop to the lowest gear it can safely engage given your speed when you do the double pull. The other cool thing about this is it rev matches as it downshifts and everybody around you starts wishing they were you particularly if you have the exhaust baffles open.

Additionally both Audi Engr and BMW M bosses have made statements that the torque converter A8s will take over for DCTs in their cars. Look at the Audi 2018 offerings with A8s rather than DCTs. So if you must have a DCT buy one used or buy one quickly.
This.

It's a personal preference. You can "roll" thru the gears with the A8 in manual with a quick paddle pull. And the rev-matching makes some very sweet music.

Glad I choose A8 in my 2016 Z06
Old 07-20-2017, 01:23 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default 'They' i.e. bracket warriors know.

Originally Posted by punky
I have 8 months in an A8 and a few long days in the M7 and can tell you that there is no way anyone is going to feel any difference. The SOTP meter is quite flawed.Not to be a dick here but you will also never do a 2.95 second 0-60 in your A8 either. Who can tell the difference of a mere .1 or .2 seconds 0-60?
I can tell a .2 change, 'Trust Me' most bracket races have a great butt-o-meter. and if you do the math I believe a 1.53 60' time on stock MPSS tires works out to be a little quicker than that GM 2.95 second 0-60 time. If you do some searching you may find some exotic cars that have a slightly lower 0-60 time than the C7/Z06 A8 that do 'not' put down 1.53 60' times.

Maybe a 'regular' bracket racer or two will give their insight, i.e. He's full of s_ _t or no.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BooSSted (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by HighBeta
The A8 does shift much faster than the M7. Adding the paddle shifting offers the level of control that someone coming from a manual would want to have.

The issue that pushed me to the A8 was the fact that 650/650 builds revs so fast that the car was constantly waiting for me to row through the gears. It was pretty funny, in many ways.

The A8 is a good unit. It's "smoother" than a DCT but not quite as fast to shift. The pull on the paddles is longer than I want it to be and there is ever so slight pause between the pull and the shift. Took me a while to get used to it, but its tolerable.

The key issues that define the major differences between the M7 and the A8 come down to track ops and cooling. The A8 heat exchanger, radiator if you will, occupies a space on the "floor" of the enginr bay, which space is used as a much needed secondary engine water + oil cooler in M7 cars. While many people can drive the A8 successfully on many tracks, the more consistently trouble free (where trouble is defined as excess temps), the more consistently trouble free track experiences go to the M7 cars with the secondary radiator.

There are reports of M7 cars popping out of gear and there are reports of A8s experiencing a few issues of their own.

Suggestion? You want to track the car? M7. You want to run it at the strip? A8.
You want to just run a canyon or a back road or hold somebody's hand while you enjoy the ride from Point A to Point B? A8.

I enjoy the A8 more than I enjoyed my M6 in my C6Z.

YMMV.
This is probably the best summary of the issues. Read this and depending on how you plan on using the car make your selection. Two out of three uses gets you the A8 only one gets you the M7. I have an M7 because I track the car and didn't want to even tempt over heating fate. However, there are some people with A8s who know how to run them on track and not over heat.

Bill
Old 07-20-2017, 05:29 PM
speedy41
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I came from a GT-R so obviously DCT, and I went with the M7. I am really enjoying it as I personally feel very connected to the car, and I love the active rev match.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:36 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

its a sports car, manual trans

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic or manual transmission

Old 07-20-2017, 05:38 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
The bottom line is it's a personal choice. Berating each other over which is best diminishes the Corvette hobby.
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner, folks.
The following 4 users liked this post by DevilDog II:
Bad Dad (07-20-2017), Catsbilly (07-22-2017), silver74vette (07-21-2017), Tally Ho (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:59 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I agree that it's all personal preference and what and how you enjoy your car. The M7 IMO is very good and if you add the MGW short-throw shifter, you are going to have a blast driving the car.

The A8 has some advantages as it reacts faster than a human, however the Stingrays and some Grand Sports have had consistent torque converter issues which has me a little spooked on the transmission.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

My new 2018 Z06 is a manual and would not have a Corvette any other way!

Quick Reply: Automatic or manual transmission