C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Automatic or manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlcn1962
I've driven a GT3 PDK, I love the GT3, but my A8 17 ZO6 base is faster! GUYS ITS JUST FASTER! Isn't that the point of a 650 hp car?
yes the car itself is faster as it should be
475hp vs 650hp

the A8 transmission is not as polished as the PDK which is the superior transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:55 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsilvester81
the A8 transmission is not as polished as the PDK which is the superior transmission.
What, exactly, does the PDK do faster or better or smoother or more polished than the A8? Anything besides part-throttle-gear selection?

I'm asking, not trolling. If you told me it shifts in traffic as smooth, seamless, and undetectable as a hydramatic, I'd be surprised (because they didn't in the past).

Everyone says the PDK is better, no one clarifies why...

Last edited by davepl; 07-21-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Originally Posted by Judgment Day
Kudos to you dude - I've been in LA a few times, and traffic there is a different kind of crazy. And the worst part is that a jam can happen at any time. I got in bumper-to-bumper traffic on a random Tuesday at 10AM out on Wilshire Blvd. You have to hold down that fort until I visit again...though if there's one city that I know I'd get an auto transmission, it would be San Fran.

As far as the original poster is concerned, I don't think there's a reason to be "torn" on the decision, but that might just be me. Push comes to shove, test drive them both and decide. If there's any shrivel of doubt, go with what you know, which by the post that I've read is an M7. It's not like you're lugging an AMC Eagle by going manual.

The only possible issue that I see is depending on if you need the vehicle soon combined with going the manual route. You'll have to rely on current stock versus the ordering process (which is what I did) due to the plant closure. There might be a certain configuration you might prefer but is unavailable, whereas autos have a more diverse selection. Given the industry and the forum dealers, it's probably not as bad as it seems, but it will be more difficult than the auto.
I am a M7 guy but if anytime in my z is traffic.. what a waste. I agree pressing the clutch 600 times to go work or come home is miserable. For that fact steeping on the the break and accelerator 600 times to go 10 miles in an automatic sounds miserable as well.

Last edited by Jsilvester81; 07-21-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Stp94
The age old question. I'm a manual sports car guy, personally. Can't fathom owning this car and putting it in drive and going. ZZZZZZZZZ. Having said that, many auto owners (for varying reasons) wouldn't own this car as a manual. If you're torn, you need to drive both. Simple as that. I would think less than 1/3 of us are in the middle. Most are pretty definitive on one side or the other.
You don't need to put it drive and go ZZZZZZZ. In manual shift mode, it behaves very much like paddle-shift double-clutch manual (which is what most of the high-end performance cars have) if manual shifting is your deal. But if rowing that pointy thing on the center console is important to you, you might not be happy with it.

I was kindof ambivalent on which to get, so several factors helped me make up my mind:
1. We have two other manual shift vehicles, so it wouldn't be like we'd be losing access to that.
2. I knew that autos are nothing like what they used to be, and that in most situations, this one would be faster than the manual.
3. I wanted my wife to be able to enjoy the car as much as I do, and her commute sometimes ends up being bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go freeway traffic. Our last Corvette was a manual with an aftermarket metallic clutch (not the most user-friendly clutch), and she found that it hampered her enjoyment enough that she seldom drove the car. But we even get guys here who say what a pain a manual is in situations like that, even with a stock clutch. So I could completely understand.

By the way, you can stop worrying. If you get an automatic, it won't automatically make you impotent. That's not why it's called that.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
What, exactly, does the PDK do faster or better or smoother or more polished than the A8? Anything besides part-throttle-gear selection?

I'm asking, not trolling. If you told me it shifts in traffic as smooth, seamless, and undetectable as a hydramatic, I'd be surprised (because they didn't in the past).

TrUe if smoothe shifting is important to you A8 is great

PDK is not smoothe like a Lexus
PDK were never intended to feel like a Lexus
only to shift lightning quick all the time

It shifts immediately at any gear and any throttle application. No lag ever.

the A8 is only lightning quick at WOT
as we all know, the A8 paddle has lag is real.

650hp car that shifts smoothly sounds more like a Bentley than a "supercar"

to each there own. It's a great torque converter auto
but no DCT.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

There's more to smooth shifting than comfort. Easier on the drivetrain, and maintains traction better on the shift (kind of important on cars with as much power as ours). It's not hard to get an auto to "bang" shifts, but it doesn't turn out to be the latest and greatest thing. More "old school", really.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, many "supercars" are now switching to a system similar to that of the Corvette auto.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Stp94
The age old question. I'm a manual sports car guy, personally. Can't fathom owning this car and putting it in drive and going. ZZZZZZZZZ. Having said that, many auto owners (for varying reasons) wouldn't own this car as a manual. If you're torn, you need to drive both. Simple as that. I would think less than 1/3 of us are in the middle. Most are pretty definitive on one side or the other.
I agree.

It's the reason why i didn't buy a GTR which is, IMHO a better transmission, more responsive than the A8 in the vette.

I drove a GTR before and the first 10 miles were amazing. The paddle shifters and how quick the shifts were felt like no other car is faster (maybe all auto guys think this? lol).

But then towards the end of the ride, coming home and driving in town i felt incredibly bored. Unless you're constantly racing someone, i would get bored out of my mind. I would literally have to do pulls everywhere i go.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I agree.

It's the reason why i didn't buy a GTR which is, IMHO a better transmission, more responsive than the A8 in the vette.

I drove a GTR before and the first 10 miles were amazing. The paddle shifters and how quick the shifts were felt like no other car is faster (maybe all auto guys think this? lol).

But then towards the end of the ride, coming home and driving in town i felt incredibly bored. Unless you're constantly racing someone, i would get bored out of my mind. I would literally have to do pulls everywhere i go.
Then buy a motorsikkle with a manually shifted transmission, which will be lots quicker than the ZO6, for a lot less money. And if that doesn't turn out to be enough drama, you can have the added challenge of dealing with people who don't "see you", because they're accustomed to noticing cars and trucks.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,149 Posts

I have a motorsikkle already. A gsxr. And my Z will walk it lol
Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Then buy a motorsikkle with a manually shifted transmission, which will be lots quicker than the ZO6, for a lot less money. And if that doesn't turn out to be enough drama, you can have the added challenge of dealing with people who don't "see you", because they're accustomed to noticing cars and trucks.
Nope, nope. I feel safer chine walking a deep V with just 4 counter rotating blades and two K-planes consistently touching the water than getting on a bike. People do incredibly stupid things on the road and a helmet isn't nearly enough armor for me. Nope!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:20 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The M7 is easy and cheap to fix if you have a problem. Not so with the A8. As others have said there is no right answer. I have always said that you should drive both. One of them will grab your attention and interest more than the other.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:23 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

It shifts immediately at any gear and any throttle application. No lag ever.

the A8 is only lightning quick at WOT
as we all know, the A8 paddle has lag is real.

650hp car that shifts smoothly sounds more like a Bentley than a "supercar"

to each there own. It's a great torque converter auto
but no DCT.
Yeah, but the A8 actually shifts faster, so if it also shifts better (smoother), what am I missing from the PDK other than lack of paddle lag?

Sounds like the PDK is immediately responsible on a paddle shift, and while that would be a bonus, it also sounds like I wouldn't trade you for an A8, because I wouldn't want to lose the smooth operation in traffic and the brutally quick upshifts.

I'm sure someone will say "GM lied, it doesn't really shift faster than the PDK even though they specifically said so", but I'll take GM's word until proven otherwise by some reputable source (or even a Porsche attorney).

Not denying the paddle lag though. It's silly this car even has paddles, the way they operate.

Last edited by davepl; 07-21-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I think the comment I remember someone saying a while ago is that "the A8 shifts faster than the PDK" once it makes up its mind what to do. That is a very important distinction.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 07-21-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I've owned a PDK equipped 2011 Boxster(wife's) car. It's not that great. Although I will admit it's pretty good in the GT3, but it's not smooth. Most people just drink the Porsche koolaid. I don't think the regular Porsches are no better than a Audi(my daughters 2015 Audi A3) transmission is as nice as the PDK. With the exception of the GT cars. Nothing special about Porsches in my opinion. Owned 3 since 2009.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I think the comment I remember someone saying a while ago is that "the A8 shifts faster than the PDK" once it makes up its mind what to do. That is a very important distinction.
Its important and true. The good news is the A8 prepares in advance for sensible shifts (like upshifts at the top of the RPM band).

That's how it's able to rip off amazing WOT upshifts at redline. But for random shifts it can't predict... those are glacial.

Is it a box of compromises? Maybe. Probably. But it sure does work amazingly well for the real-world tasks of accelerating and going around a road course. Fortunately those are the things that matter to me.

Last edited by davepl; 07-21-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 PM
lochnessmonster
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an S2000...manual....WRX STi....manual....Gen V Viper GTS.....manual. I'm a "manual guy". I just bought my first Corvette a brand new 2017 Z06 with 07 package in Torch Red....Automatic 8 speed. Um.....i never thought I'd say this.....it's brilliant. If I'm busy in the cabin and don't want to be dealing with shifting gears i leave it in auto or if I'm feeling lazy...auto.. .but if I want to start doing some "spirited driving" I switch the mode select to Tack and grab the paddles....its nice to have the options....and when you pull that paddle at redline and the exhaust let's off a massive "crack" as the car changes gears.....brilliant.

Last edited by lochnessmonster; 07-21-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Its important and true. The good news is the A8 prepares in advance for sensible shifts (like upshifts at the top of the RPM band).

That's how it's able to rip off amazing WOT upshifts at redline. But for random shifts it can't predict... those are glacial.

Is it a box of compromises? Maybe. Probably. But it sure does work amazingly well for the real-world tasks of accelerating and going around a road course. Fortunately those are the things that matter to me.
yes, asumming the A8 can stay cool for multiple laps.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic or manual transmission

Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

yes, asumming the A8 can stay cool for multiple laps.
Troll much?
Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

This type of thread should probably be a sticky to prevent the bi monthly or so reintroduction of the same topic with the same "mine is better" responses from the same people.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Re: boring. I talked with a friend with a heads/cam C6Z and he had bought a C7Z after seeing my new one and liking it. He commented that he frankly was bored with the way the car drove. I asked why? And he commented on the lack of shifting and the occasional need for the A8 to need to shift down 2-3 gears to get any real performance. I asked him how he drove the A8 and of course he answered "In Drive." I suggested he put it in M and drive it that way full time. First you can keep your hands at 10 and 2 and shift with either your ring finger or your pinky on each hand. Second if you feel you need to go down a gear it is easy. He didn't know that you could go down a maximum number of gears (as far as the rpm and speed will allow) simply be a quick left pinky pull twice in rapid succession while holding the second pull towards you. He didn't know that. The A8, at least mine in D will hold the car while in Tour in the mid teens rpm wise. When I drive it in M I tend to keep a gear or 2 lower and run the car in the mid 2's or near 3k rpm. The car is much more responsive there and that is more the way I drove my C6Z06 and other M6s prior to the C6 (my C5Z and my several C4s). Haven't talked to him this week but I can't imagine that those simply changes would not have reinforced his connection to the car while driving. Frankly I can't imagine putting the A8 in D and simply driving away. This is not a daily driver that is sitting in a traffic jam all the time. Mostly a weekend car.

My daily driver is an ATS with an A8 and I even drive that in M 50+% of the time and it doesn't even have the optional paddle shifters. I simply pull the stick to the left while in D and then tap it up for an upshift and down for a downshift. Again that takes the 2.0T out of mid teens rpm and puts it more where I want it, which is mid 2s or so. Makes both cars a lot more responsive and interesting.

Quick Reply: Automatic or manual transmission