C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Chipped rear ceramic rotor Z07

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 04:18 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z06
AC Delco was running a 20% discount promo on Amazon and it said through the 30th. it not showing now, call them and see if they will apply ACDelco 177-1177 GM Original Equipment Rear Disc Brake Rotor. if they will you can get a rotor for $1000.00
I just saw that! looks like amazon regularly sells them for about @$1200.
thanks for the heads up.......bob
Old 07-30-2017, 04:23 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

I use z28 carbon rotors to save my customers few hundred bucks. All you do is transfer the hat
The following users liked this post:
rsilver (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

You got the part numbers for the z28 rings?
Old 07-30-2017, 07:50 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I can tell you after just coming back from the Spring Mountain Corvette Racing School that they advised us if we got a chip in the ceramic rotors that they needed to be replaced as they could come apart on the track.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
I have a set of these and they work great as an alternative, or complimentary to the foam protectors: http://www.reverselogic.us/lug-guides.html

To the OP, I'd replace the rotor unfortunately...

To sTz...thanks for the heads up on these guides, just ordered a set of 3
Old 07-30-2017, 11:56 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
To the OP, I'd replace the rotor unfortunately...

To sTz...thanks for the heads up on these guides, just ordered a set of 3
Old 07-31-2017, 06:38 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

I've had a small stone chip on a front CCB rotor and still street and track it. Although its half that size or smaller. I do monitor it often but never seen a change in it or the area around. Others have had stone chips and continued to use them I've read. Unfortunately and probably because of liability GM has nothing in writing as to a minimum size that could be acceptable nor does Porsche that I found.

You could put in a insurance claim under your comprehensive part of your cars insurance policy.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by sTz
Yeah, likely it was chipped by the wheel during the install, and I'm sure that the person knew he did it. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn't look like the chip is in the pad wear area, just outside. Is there any damage/crack on the backside? Not sure about driving it in its current state. I'm sure others will chime in, but you can replace just one rotor... GL w/your claim.
Hey, I'm sure you know more about this than I do but those pics look like the chip is on the outer edge of the rotor---how is that not in the pad wear area? I've seen inner-rotor areas not touched by pads but can't recall the edges being untouched. Just asking the question; don't know the answer.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:20 AM
rsilver
Racer

I am following up on the chipped rotor and Discount Tire. They sent me to their claims dept
( i know, sounds bad) but they stepped up and paid for it. It took a couple of weeks and it helped that I offered to save them $900 over the GM price by buying the rotor through That GM Parts Guy.com . They had the best price at the time and they got it to me fast, great customer service. Anyway, it was a PITA and entirely avoidable but I am glad Discount paid for it.

I came across a GM spec regarding acceptable "chips" on the rotor.
The dealers interpretation is you can have no more than 3 chips all of which have to be within the spec. If you have one that is out of spec, then you have to replace it. So up to three small chips are ok per the attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
rotor chip guidlines.pdf (1.45 MB, 236 views)
Old 08-22-2017, 12:27 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilver
I am following up on the chipped rotor and Discount Tire. They sent me to their claims dept
( i know, sounds bad) but they stepped up and paid for it. It took a couple of weeks and it helped that I offered to save them $900 over the GM price by buying the rotor through That GM Parts Guy.com . They had the best price at the time and they got it to me fast, great customer service. Anyway, it was a PITA and entirely avoidable but I am glad Discount paid for it.

I came across a GM spec regarding acceptable "chips" on the rotor.
The dealers interpretation is you can have no more than 3 chips all of which have to be within the spec. If you have one that is out of spec, then you have to replace it. So up to three small chips are ok per the attached.
I'm glad it worked out!

I love hearing stories about dealers that come through on helping us consumers out, especially when theres a chance they can get out of it.

Out of curiosity, was your chip within spec?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by angryBits
I'm glad it worked out!

I love hearing stories about dealers that come through on helping us consumers out, especially when theres a chance they can get out of it.

Out of curiosity, was your chip within spec?
No, it was too large to be in spec based on my measurements.

Moral, nice they paid for it, but avoid the problem and either be there or have them mount the tires and put them on yourselves as a number of people have mentioned above. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:34 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

I like the lug guides, does anyone know the proper size to order for 2017 Z06? Also when it's time to have tires changed, I'm gonna use the lugs, pull the tire/wheel(s) off myself and bring them to the tire shop and then re-install using those lugs. Now finding a shop that can remove and install tires without scratching the wheels. Factory told me this is done in an independent (large) shop (old tire factory) outside of bowling green.
I ordered my Z06 with the J57 Carbon Ceramic Brakes for $7495, with my Kerbeck Corvette discount they were $6595. The factory had a shortage of steel rotors so they offered a rebate during the month of April 2017 of $5000 to anyone buying a Z06 or GS with the CC brakes. It worked out for me and I love the braking and no dust. If you drive a limited amount (not daily driver) I think these brakes would last for decades. My 1964 Sting Ray with 104K miles is an example having been driven only 2K miles a year on average.

Last edited by mjdart; 09-03-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Reverse Logic.us M12x1.5f-200
Old 09-03-2017, 02:56 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilver
This looks like an excellent tool for the wheels. I usually use the flat side of a cardboard box under the tire and slide the wheel on. Always a pain to get the height correct and the bolts to line up but still, i never had a problem when I did it myself. I will order a set of these, I assume extended length but I have to check.
I agree with older post above, "good luck on the claim" but I have some pretty good arguments and a witness. If they deny me which I expect, I believe I can spend a day in small claims court and maybe get a judgement, maybe not. Then you gotta collect it. Also a report to the BBB et al might at least be a thorn in their side. Its a large tire discounter that you all know. They have had their share of screw ups and a lot of people won't use them. I wont anymore even though I have been doing business with them for over 20 years on daily drivers and various hot rods over the years.

Anyone know if you need to replace pads as well or just the disc? On steel not question, but on Ceramic I don't know.
I did the same on my ZR1. Problem is a rock could get them as well.

I would change wheels myself and take the tires down in my truck because one biff on the wheel can cost and then the car is down as well.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:51 PM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
^^^ They should have been provided w/the car... If not, maybe they're in the rear hatch cubby hole. There is not a lot of places to hide them aside from the obvious limited storage areas.
mine were just in a bag laying in the trunk area when I picked mine up..

Quick Reply: Chipped rear ceramic rotor Z07