C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM should cover all ZO6's engines for 10year 120,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Mlcn62
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gine-warranty/

It boost resale of the GT3, not that it needed it, but it shows Porsche's commitment to it's product. GM should do this just because all of the buzz about ZO6's overheating issue, whether it's real or not, it a perception that's out there. This forum is filled with GS owners saying why they passed on a ZO6. Other Corvette owners have no confidence in the best corvette offered to date. As one writer said about GT3's, most ZO6's will not see 120,000 miles in 10 years anyway.

Last edited by Mlcn62; 08-11-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlcn1962
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gine-warranty/

It boost resale of the GT3, not that it needed it, but it shows Porsches commitment to is product. GM should do this just because all of the buzz about ZO6's overheating issue, whether it's real or not, it a perception that's out there. This forum is filled with GS owners saying why they passed on a ZO6. Other Corvette owners have no confidence in the best corvette offered to date. As one writer said about GT3's. Most ZO6's will not see 120,000 miles in 10 years anyway.
It's not going to help resale anyways. Even the perfect model years (which ones were they?) of the Corvette depreciate a lot. The Z06 is not a GT3 no matter what Chevy does to it or how it "supports" it.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:09 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
They could bullet proof the car like the C6 ZR1 and try to charge $20K more, or take a calculated risk, and except a failure rate!
They got this!
Bulletproof? Dude head on over to the C6 Z forum and read Katech's report on LS7 AND LS9 valve guide issues---it's the same for both heads--boom! They have started a thread on LS9 dropped valves.

Last edited by TXshaggy; 08-11-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:17 AM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

The engine in the 991.1 GT3 I bought for my girlfriend a few years ago went after 2,000 miles. They offered to either buy the car back or replace the engine and give me an allocation on a 911R.

I love my 911R and the GT3 was later swapped for a GT3RS in a color she liked more. Win-win.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default I (we!) Think GM overbuilt the LS9!

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Bulletproof? Dude head on over to the C6 Z forum and read Katech's report on LS7 AND LS9 valve guide issues---it's the same for both heads--boom! They have started a thread on LS9 dropped valves.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-the-ls7.html

This was my understanding. The LT4 isn't a LS9!
The following users liked this post:
timmyZ06 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Mlcn62
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
The engine in the 991.1 GT3 I bought for my girlfriend a few years ago went after 2,000 miles. They offered to either buy the car back or replace the engine and give me an allocation on a 911R.

I love my 911R and the GT3 was later swapped for a GT3RS in a color she liked more. Win-win.
You got some seriously deep pockets, I bought a girlfriend I had many years ago (before I was married) a dog. I paid $800 for a Yorkshire Terrier. A $150,000 Porsche! Nice!!!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:01 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
What evidence do you need? You don't believe that repeated runs to 262* coolant and 320* oil reduce engine life and that they can lead to instant engine failure? Ask any weathered circuit racer if they are comfortable running their engines to those thresholds repeatedly.

My replacement track car has a warning light set by the OEM manufacturer when coolant surpasses 215*. I can hit that in the C7 Z on my way to work on a daily basis just by driving in a lower gear.
What evidence do I need? Evidence like a significant number of people posting that they had actual engine failures due to overheating. I haven't seen that.

I don't know what kind of car your track car is, but coolant temperatures around 215 are quite normal for OEM street cars. One reason is that the higher temperatures can improve emissions and fuel economy.

Would I be concerned about oil temperatures around 320? Sure, but I used to do it quite regularly in my 1000 horsepower boat, and never lost an engine. It severely compromises oil life, so you change it. One of the "nannies" on our Corvettes is an oil life monitor, which takes temperature into account, so that's pretty well covered too.

I can certainly understand your frustration if your Corvette was overheating at the track. However, it does not seem to result in mechanical engine failures, since the car automatically goes into a self-protection mode when the situation gets severe enough.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-11-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The oil's fine! ;)

Uhttps://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-...tested-results

Therefore, the engines setup limits are fine.

If your engine turned up weakened a leak down test would reveal it.
I believe there was an east coast guy here that traded in his heavily tracked weakened motored Z. I guess he felt he was culpable!? GM should have calculated in guys like him with this Mass Produced trackable car!
GM and corporations fighting pays dividends!

Warranties!?

Insurance!?

$100k to me gets documentation and my car dropped off! Until we see some guts around here no one will Get It!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-11-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Dude here in Ohio had a Porsche under warranty on the track that let go. Not sure the model but Porsche said not covered on the track and wanted $40K. I was at a race equipment shop and all his Porsche equipment was there for sale and they where saying how they just outfitted the new car he bought.

He now drives a Z.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Chevrolet, another disgrace in their attitude toward customers!

No extended warranty ever on my previous 2007 C6 Z06 - for the rocker arm manufacturing/design bearing failures, and none on the manufacuring/quality control
failures on the cylinder head machining process, the latter resulting in blown engines.

Now we have engineering design failures again, this time with the C7. This time regarding the undersize supercharger and both water and oil cooling systems, and the automatic transmission torque converter failures.

Imagine, not even a recall on C7 A8's to upgrade the transmission fluid with the associated flushes, never mind an upgrade to a larger supercharger to reduce inlet air temperatures with attaendant cooling system upgrades.

Looks like Chevrolet needs to completely clean house in its Engineering Dept, can't do any worse than the current situation. Can't even get Engineering acknowledgment as to the problems, their source, and solutions. Maybe hire some talent from Porsche and other major sports car producers.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
Chevrolet, another disgrace in their attitude toward customers!

No extended warranty'
To be fair, if your car breaks Under Warranty they are liable therein, if you met your/those maintenance obligations. Your expendatures would easily be locally remedable.
If You didn't handle that for our joint celebration how is this helping Now!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-11-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I think GM should cover all Corvettes forever and go softly into the night.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:48 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor

I can certainly understand your frustration if your Corvette was overheating at the track. However, it does not seem to result in mechanical engine failures, since the car automatically goes into a self-protection mode when the situation gets severe enough.
Good point.
The question is how LONG can an engine hold together from X number of "severe situations" over time.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mlcn1962
I bought a girlfriend...
I bought one or two girlfriends too. Bad investment. When ya get rid of em, ya can never get back what ya have in 'em.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I bought one or two girlfriends too. Bad investment. When ya get rid of em, ya can never get back what ya have in 'em.
Those rigs can use expensive medical grade silicone!

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Good point.
The question is how LONG can an engine hold together from X number of "severe situations" over time.
If your car crumbles to the ground one day after your warranty is up!?
It doesn't behoove manufacturers to have their products last forever!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-15-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Merge Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your response look like this.
timmyZ06 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Good point.
I don't know, isn't that a little like asking how many times other fail-safes can be applied, like reducing timing to prevent detonation? Probably indefinitely.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by seamus2154
That's pretty inaccurate. MANY guys that dropped valves had NO track time. There was a survey here sometime ago. Yes there were plenty of track guys who were covered by GM but they were not the majority. I knew several guys and met others at speed shops that dropped valves only one was a track guy.
We have over 12 guys in our group with C6 Z06's with no issues, I had 200,000 on my 2007 Z06 and only had to replace the oil pressure sending unit, and yes was tracked a few times. I have 78,000 on my C7 Z with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To GM should cover all ZO6's engines for 10year 120,000 miles

Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

"911R" is the only thing to come out of this thread.

100k mile warranty on my 10second quarter, low 7min Ring, daily driver, thanks.

Best,
Gene
Plstxmd (08-13-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The LS7 definitely isn't bullet proof, however, we aren't having issues like that with the LT4. How many LT4 drivers have dropped the guts of their engine all over the track?

We have some track people who have an over heating issue and we have a lot more track people who don't have an over heating issue.

For the people who have an over heating issue once the engine cools down some they can drive the car anywhere they want. A driver of a C6Z with an LS7 engine that drops a valve head at the track gets to have the car flatbedded to a garage for engine replacement. Ever hear any of the owners with over heating issues say they couldn't drive their car home from the track? That is a huge difference.

There is no comparison (not even a weak one) between LT4 over heat issues and GT3 or LS7 engine failures. One is a problem that is resolved on its own within a matter of minutes and the other requires a major and costly ($13K to $17K) intervention to be able to drive the car again.

Bill
Old 08-11-2017, 01:19 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The LS7 definitely isn't bullet proof, however, we aren't having issues like that with the LT4. How many LT4 drivers have dropped the guts of their engine all over the track?

We have some track people who have an over heating issue and we have a lot more track people who don't have an over heating issue.

For the people who have an over heating issue once the engine cools down some they can drive the car anywhere they want. A driver of a C6Z with an LS7 engine that drops a valve head at the track gets to have the car flatbedded to a garage for engine replacement. Ever hear any of the owners with over heating issues say they couldn't drive their car home from the track? That is a huge difference.

There is no comparison (not even a weak one) between LT4 over heat issues and GT3 or LS7 engine failures. One is a problem that is resolved on its own within a matter of minutes and the other requires a major and costly ($13K to $17K) intervention to be able to drive the car again.

Bill
Bill,

Please read the quotes in my original post. My bulletproof comments were with repect to another poster bemoning the fact that the C6 ZR was bulletproof and sadly the C7Z isn't.

I love my C7 Z06/07 M7 and have zero complaints.

Quick Reply: GM should cover all ZO6's engines for 10year 120,000 miles