C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM should cover all ZO6's engines for 10year 120,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by jswatek
I don't interpret the article the same way at all. The piece I quoted stated clearly what the believes the threshold of engine stress is.

No, it states what the car driver believes is the high threshold for coolant only, given the specified rules and environment, placing particular emphasis on "drafting" behind other cars, which will reduce cooling airflow.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-15-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:40 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Sure, a drop from 51 degrees advance to minus 8 is is well within the range what a modern computer-controlled engine is supposed to do.

Modern control systems can distinguish between low cylinder pressures (a low-speed burn situation, in which much more advanced spark timing can be advantageous), and higher cylinder pressures (a much higher burn speed environment).
If you're getting audible knock on one of the latest engine control systems, my first suggestion would be that something has gone wrong with your car. It's pretty far from typical.
While I have plenty of love for "old school" stuff, I'm also willing to make an attempt to move on to higher powered things. How about you?
Ok, but you are confusing the systems maximum ability to pull timing with what it should do given sensor inputs. The oddity is that it will sometime pull 30* more in the same conditions.

Do you think a Corvette should max out timing pull on a 65* day, 195* coolant, 190* oil, and 3,500rpm. How is it going to pull more timing on a hot day on track if it pulls all the timing it can on a bridge going 50mph on a cold day?

I prefer the old school stuff that just worked mechanically and didn't have to rely on nannies to save the day and shut off the party before it gets started. Worked better for everyone. A water pump/circuit that doesn't cavitate and doesn't need smarts to shut off the party, forged titanium rods that don't need 50 weight oil to keep the rotating assembly alive. A proper charge air HE that while taller doesn't starve the back cylinders of cool air. You are all alone on a future where you don't have hardware to run hard for more than 10 seconds and you effectively detune to Cobalt levels of performance after that.

Originally Posted by jswatek
I think the point he was making is that the temp of 245*-250* is only harmful to the engine because the coolant starts leaving the engine. A higher pressure in the cooling system would allow a higher safe engine temp because the coolant remains in the system. Or did I miss the point?
Ok, let's try again, the quote is:
"I don't think you can stay together at all," said Kyle Busch. "We're running 230, 240 [degrees water temperature] just pack drafting and then once you get pushed from behind or you have somebody close to you, it kind of moves you forward a little bit to the car that's in front of you. You're already 245, 250. That's already borderline for our engines.

"You can probably take them to 260, 265 on water temperature before you start pushing water, but we don't want to jeopardise that and push water too early in the race and run ourselves out of water. Our limit is about 240 [degrees] until two [laps] to go."

245-250 is "borderline for [their] engines."

Water starts to boil sometime after 260-265. If you don't "push" water until 260-265 then why limit driving to keep water under 240*? I think the answer is that it is "borderline" for the engine.

If we know their PSI we could even calculated when water is starting to boil. I bet it's not 240* but sometime after 265* as stated in the article.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Ok, but you are confusing the systems maximum ability to pull timing with what it should do given sensor inputs. The oddity is that it will sometime pull 30* more in the same conditions.

Do you think a Corvette should max out timing pull on a 65* day, 195* coolant, 190* oil, and 3,500rpm. How is it going to pull more timing on a hot day on track if it pulls all the timing it can on a bridge going 50mph on a cold day?
I will eagerly await your evidence that a C7 Z06 pulls all the timing it is capable of doing, aside from really low-quality fuel being involved.

I prefer the old school stuff that just worked mechanically and didn't have to rely on nannies to save the day...
I sometimes have a hankering for the old-school stuff too.
When I was learning to drive, a single poorly-executed power-shift could be the end of everything that mattered to to me, at that time.

..forged titanium rods that don't need 50 weight oil to keep the rotating assembly alive.
Forged titanium rods have almost nothing to do with oil weight. Aluminum rods, under really low temperature startup conditions, can contract enough that they can reduce bearing clearances enough to cause problems.
I'd recommend some better sources for leaning, than those you have hung your hat on so far.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:52 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

I will eagerly await your evidence that a C7 Z06 pulls all the timing it is capable of doing, aside from really low-quality fuel being involved.

I sometimes have a hankering for the old-school stuff too.
When I was learning to drive, a single poorly-executed power-shift could be the end of everything that mattered to to me, at that time.

Forged titanium rods have almost nothing to do with oil weight. Aluminum rods, under really low temperature startup conditions, can contract enough that they can reduce bearing clearances enough to cause problems.
I'd recommend some better sources for leaning, than those you have hung your hat on so far.
Sure.

LT series can pull 60* of timing max:
"All Gen V engines are built with variable valve timing that offers an enormous swing of over 60 degrees of authority over the camshaft position. [...] But with VVT, GM can now move the cam over an incredible 62-degree range of authority." http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...evy-lt-engine/

Choosing forged titanium rods instead of forged steel rods in the LS engine family allowed Chevy to specify the same 10W30 oil weight:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...7-engine6.html

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 08-15-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:52 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default I see you get it too! ;)

Originally Posted by rikhek
johnglenn2,

Your thoughts on triangle orange circle in window against miles when fluid time shifts grass but not trailer to roof of Chevy to maybe chair market in HP but understand no if cloud yes?::sa dangel::sadang el:

But, book butter not flag in psig if frame sees down. LOL. Globe no yes round precipitation cubicle to government on Tuesday?

TIA

Rick

P.S.
Some of these guys see a benefit in second guessing GM's engineering.
Figure out how to flog the sucker for all it's worth, take care of your responsibilities - And let your Warranty begin! (And don't be a Troll!)

YOUR DISORGANIZATION SERVES GM'S AGENDA!

Thanks again so much!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-16-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sure.

LT series can pull 60* of timing max:
"All Gen V engines are built with variable valve timing that offers an enormous swing of over 60 degrees of authority over the camshaft position. [...] But with VVT, GM can now move the cam over an incredible 62-degree range of authority." http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...evy-lt-engine/
GM can pull any amount of ignition timing that they want to. There are tradeoffs to be taken into account, like higher heat loads when the ignition timing is reduced too far.

You've kind of fluffed over your transition from ignition timing, to camshaft timing, (including variable camshaft timing). Camshaft timing is a whole 'nother can of worms.
What would you like to put your focus on in this thread?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-15-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:44 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

GM can pull any amount of ignition timing that they want to. There are tradeoffs to be taken into account, like higher heat loads when the ignition timing is reduced too far.

You've kind of fluffed over your transition from ignition timing, to camshaft timing, (including variable camshaft timing). Camshaft timing is a whole 'nother can of worms.
Right, I guess I don't know how much ignition timing can be pulled. I simply took my logs and compared a grueling track day when the car did work without intermittent power with logs taken on the road when the car has intermittent power issues but the conditions are pretty ideal. Something causes it to freak out and pull substantial timing, far more than it would do on track. It also knocks, but when I say this I don't mean audibly or at least I can't tell. There is another output in the log that is knock retard. I can see it knocks from time to time and almost always with the throttle pinned. That's all I can say, and I don't really have a cure for it that I can show. I'm not an engineer which is why I was relying on warranty to keep the car running properly. I'm only talking about this intermitent power issue because Bill brought it up.

I don't have a good answer to what if any a similar approach to the Porsche guys can be taken. I'm literally overwhelmed by troubleshooting. My take is that I had to retire the car. I actually did buy the the 7 year warranty for the car but I soon realized it doesn't actually fix the design challenges, and there are too many to deal with.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:59 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Bad Gas or Hot!
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Bad Gas or Hot!
It's been doing this for a year now on 91 octane, many gas stations. It also hesitates on throttle on 95 octane, just a bit less. As I mentioned before it also hesitates in ideal ambient conditions ~65*. But yes, there is something heat related as it runs best as it warms up for the first few minutes. Once it starts oscillating power there is no stopping it.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:34 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Great than!? ;)

It's been doing this for a year now on 91 octane, many gas stations. It also hesitates on throttle on 95 octane, just a bit less. As I mentioned before it also hesitates in ideal ambient conditions ~65*. But yes, there is something heat related as it runs best as it warms up for the first few minutes. Once it starts oscillating power there is no stopping it.
Make sure your ducks are in a row and flog-on as much as possible. And remember like an officer with a Vette once told me up here, "It has enough to get me in trouble!"

THE ORIGINAL AIR BUBBLE THREAD?
This was before Gspeed's cavitation determination:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oler-tank.html
It's again not your problem, and a warranty issue!

AND ANOTHER TANGIBLE WARRANTY ISSUE!
A valve job is an operation which is performed on any four stroke cycle, internal combustion engine, the purpose of which is to resurface the mating surfaces of the poppet valves and their respective valve seats that control the intake and exhaust of the air/fuel mixture that powers the motion of the pistons after the start cycle.

In the earliest automotive engines, the valves needed to be removed and the sealing surfaces sanded, ground or lapped multiple times during the life of a typical engine. As the decades passed, however, engines ran cleaner and the addition of tetraethyllead in gasoline meant that such maintenance became less frequent. Today, valve jobs are rarely done on passenger cars for the purpose of maintenance, although they are still quite common with high-performance cars. Some reasons that may induce the need for a valve job in a modern passenger include: excessive RPM, high mileage, overheating, material failure, and foreign object damage (FOD).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_job

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-15-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:38 AM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlcn1962
You got some seriously deep pockets, I bought a girlfriend I had many years ago (before I was married) a dog. I paid $800 for a Yorkshire Terrier. A $150,000 Porsche! Nice!!!
Her G-Wagen was more.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:55 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Wow! ;)

Originally Posted by HPT
Her G-Wagen was more.
That suckers MPG is obviously.....

YOUR WELCOME!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-16-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Bottom line - It Still Gets Too Hot! ;)

https://www.quora.com/How-does-overh...e-a-car-engine

Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 245 Posts

Are people seriously comparing the Porsche blown motor issue to the C7Z overheating at the track? One is a $50k motor replacement and the other you just wait until it cools down and you drive it home.

Jesus if it's really that much of an issue either spend the money on a better cooling system or sell the car and find another one that fits your criteria better. Hell most cars are going to need cooling upgrades anyways for hotter weather if pushed hard enough. For a serious track rat the aftermarket cooling system upgrades are well worth it and less than actually racing in events between gas, tires, brakes, etc. Bitching about it on the internet won't fix a thing and nobody is going to change anybody's mind on the situation.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:16 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Currently using my Avatar is it!? ;)

Originally Posted by rbartick
Da expurt haz spokin!
I think that takes your involvement to another level, but, again I will take this moment to reiterate and make it clear, "I really do prefer the gals!"

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-17-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:18 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Almost DHead! ;)

You forgot autonomousness and PTM. It's easier than you n00bz think, development aside!

4 angel of the dangle VaLv3 JobZ as whell. I knowz it. YouR welcomez.
Yep, just like the rev limiter and traction control on the C5 put more in our hands, Autonomousness will too.
If the Vette program makes it!?
Dribble aside you can hit the spot - !

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-18-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

"Johnflenntwo", do you have a job, and have you been taking your psychosis meds on schedule?

Get notified of new replies

To GM should cover all ZO6's engines for 10year 120,000 miles

Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlcn1962
Porsche just announced that all 991.1 GT3 in existence engine will be covered for 10 years 120,000 due to engine failures and some fires. Should GM cover all C7 ZO6's engines, due to heating issues for 10 years 120,000 to restore confidence and have it transferable to the next owner like Porsche does?
This would never happen with GM since it would cost too much. This company is not about goodwill, its about profit.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

You forgot autonomousness and PTM. It's easier than you n00bz think, development aside!

4 angel of the dangle VaLv3 JobZ as whell. I knowz it. YouR welcomez.
Word!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default It's just a different thought process! ;)

My boat has an automotive engine, as do many other boats. There is nothing about my boat engine that is different from a "built" automotive engine, including the water pump.
Doesn't a boat have cooler water pouring through its systems!? Emissions!? Does it have all of a street cars condition variables!? Will it be running and degrading like the Vette on track, or will it just be running consistently! etc! etc!

Originally Posted by WarpFactor
"Johnflenntwo", do you have a job, and have you been taking your psychosis meds on schedulered?
By the way, be aware that "harassment" is one of criteria listed for making a complaint about a post or a user.
Some people (usually originally standard learning disabled) can think of three or more concepts at once, and some people have trouble with just one - !

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-18-2017 at 02:27 AM.

Quick Reply: GM should cover all ZO6's engines for 10year 120,000 miles