C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Update Requested Since I own a 2015 ZO6

Old 08-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Schoony
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update Requested Since I own a 2015 ZO6

It's a completely honest and fair question to ask. Unless of course the old ladies of the forum are from the Soviet Union.
It's been almost 2 Months from the last post for a update on the Supercharger Cooling Upgrade Kit. If nothing to offer, what are the part numbers of the "Piece Meal" Supercharger Cooling System Parts?
And please STOP acting like it's not a fair question to ask. This is America.
NO NEGATIVE NANCY'S
NEED TO RESPOND AS I COULD CARE LESS IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED IN YOUR CONCLUSION AS "TOO MUCH".
Simple answer would suffice all of the 2015 & 2016 ZO6 Owners that paid close to $100,000.00 for "GM DESIGNED RACE CAR" Per everyone that had a Salesman at the GM Chevrolet Dealership.
The problem has gone Long enough!!!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:17 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I assure you if given the opportunity I'm going to bring this up to Tadge if he's there just like I did last year.

just like I posted on this forum and YouTube

and ask him what the deal is.

Who knows what the answer will be or if I'll even get the chance to ask him but rest assure I will and I will remind and we had a conversation a year ago and if they've made any progress.

I will post a video up from Carlisle as soon as I get answers for you.

I have one too.

I actually bought mine after Carlisle last year with the understanding and expectation that Chevy would do something for my 16.

Instead of what I have done has both the new 17 liner and left the blower alone.

granted I don't track the car so I don't overheat but I would be very upset if I did.

Having said that I love my car and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world yet LOL
Old 08-11-2017, 12:25 AM
Schoony
Heel & Toe

Ok. I truly appreciate it if their was a Higher Priority as I live in Phoenix Arizona and it's in the 100° to 115°. Most important is I have been dealing with heat soak for 18 months! In December it will be 2 years

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I assure you if given the opportunity I'm going to bring this up to Tadge if he's there just like I did last year.

Who knows what the answer will be or if I'll even get the chance to ask him but rest assure I will and I will remind and we had a conversation a year ago and if they've made any progress.

I have one too.

I actually bought mine after Carlisle last year with the understanding and expectation that Chevy would do something for my 16.

Instead of what I have done has both the new 17 liner and left the blower alone.

granted I don't track the car so I don't overheat but I would be very upset if I did.

Having said that I love my car and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world yet LOL
Thank you for Listening & Hearing my Flight with heat soak. I don't drive mine on the track either.
Thanks again!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-11-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Schoony
It's a completely honest and fair question to ask. Unless of course the old ladies of the forum are from the Soviet Union.
It's been almost 2 Months from the last post for a update on the Supercharger Cooling Upgrade Kit. If nothing to offer, what are the part numbers of the "Piece Meal" Supercharger Cooling System Parts?
NO NEGATIVE NANCY'S
NEED TO RESPOND AS I COULD CARE LESS IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED IN YOUR CONCLUSION AS "TOO MUCH".
Simple answer would suffice all of the 2015 & 2016 ZO6 Owners that paid close to $100,000.00 for "GM DESIGNED RACE CAR" Per everyone that had a Salesman at the GM Chevrolet Dealership.
Are you driving an M7 or an A8?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:55 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

NO NEGATIVE NANCY'S
So no one has answered the question. To duplicate the cooling mods from a 2017 you need to following.

1) Updated hoodliner to clear the big lid supercharger.

2) The big lid supercharger (not just the lid). You will need the whole blower assembly to get the updated intercooler bricks.

3) The 2017 tune. Not sure this can be done... so maybe a custom tune to replicate the factory 2017 tune.

4) If a manual (M7) the secondary radiator.

If I was going to void my warranty I would do the Katech or GSpeed cooling mods with minor power upgrades. Overall they appear to be a better solutions than the new supercharger that GM did. Especially if you have an auto (A8).

I have not had cooling issues (I also don't live in AZ) but the lack of GM fixing the issue has been disappointing. I wish they would step up and fix. Some people have to be nearing 3 years with no solution.

GM fix the problem. It is sad that this issue has soiled the reputation and experience of people on such an amazing car.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Can't find the thread but a member in Texas with an A8 bypass the factory engine oil cooler and put a fan-cooled cooler in the back somewhere and his engine oil and coolant temps were in the 250s just idling around town in the heat according to him with some minor mods after the installation of his aftermarket fan cooled engine oil cooler with the bypass and a thermostat in place so the oil gets up the temperature he was hovering around 200 degrees amazing sounds like that's the real solution to this issue to me
Old 08-11-2017, 01:29 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 245 Posts

I live in Phoenix and have an A8 and never once have I seen my coolant temp go above 220 even when it was 120 degrees outside and I was stuck in rush hour stop and go for an hour. It's a non-issue for a stock street driven car even in these temps but if you expect to race around a track in this temperature good luck to you in any car.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Schoony
Heel & Toe

Default Clarification on Supercharger Cooling Upgrade Kit

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z

I have one too.

NO NEGATIVE NANCY'S
Clarification on initial thread.
I need to clarify my original Thread. I have been experiencing a significant loss of Horsepower with my C7 ZO6 Supercharger, due to Supercharger Heat Soak. The engine temperatures are consistently at 220° within normal operating engine temperatures.
My 2015 ZO6 ECU is reducing Horsepower to compensate for the extreme Supercharger Heat that occurs above 90°. In Arizona, our Temperatures range from 100° to 115°. This is our Summer every year for 5 Months.
It has nothing to do with the engine temperatures. It's a flaw in the Supercharger Cooling System. Intercoolers, Supercharger Manifold etc. I Love my ZO6!! No doubt about it.
Even so, when the Supercharger suffers from Heat Soak, it dramatically reduces the Horsepower. At least 20 to 30% off of 650 it is designed to have.
The changes on the 2017 ZO6 appear to have solved the entire problem.
I SIMPLY ask for a honest update from my original Thread in early to mid June of 2017.
I have spoken with multiple owners of the 2017 ZO6 and none of them have any Heat Soak issues period.
I await for a true GM Staff members answer as to the Availability & Cost of the Supercharger Upgrade Cooling Kit?
Old 08-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Clarification on initial thread.
I need to clarify my original Thread. I have been experiencing a significant loss of Horsepower with my C7 ZO6 Supercharger, due to Supercharger Heat Soak. The engine temperatures are consistently at 220° within normal operating engine temperatures.
My 2015 ZO6 ECU is reducing Horsepower to compensate for the extreme Supercharger Heat that occurs above 90°. In Arizona, our Temperatures range from 100° to 115°. This is our Summer every year for 5 Months.
It has nothing to do with the engine temperatures. It's a flaw in the Supercharger Cooling System. Intercoolers, Supercharger Manifold etc. I Love my ZO6!! No doubt about it.
Even so, when the Supercharger suffers from Heat Soak, it dramatically reduces the Horsepower. At least 20 to 30% off of 650 it is designed to have.
The changes on the 2017 ZO6 appear to have solved the entire problem.
I SIMPLY ask for a honest update from my original Thread in early to mid June of 2017.
I have spoken with multiple owners of the 2017 ZO6 and none of them have any Heat Soak issues period.
I await for a true GM Staff members answer as to the Availability & Cost of the Supercharger Upgrade Cooling Kit?
Check the ask Tadge section. He addressed your question a few months ago and clearly said that we will hear when they have it ready and they aren't going to say anymore about it until they can get it ready. Based on the rest of his comments it will be considered something the Customer has to pay for (he talked about getting the price down) and it will be sorted package. Hell they may even be waiting to see what happens with the ZR1 testing before committing to a specific retrofit kit for the 15/16 maybe 17/18 Z06s. However, that is guessing on my part. What isn't guessing is we aren't going to hear for a while. Even if they had made up their minds to release it at the same time he provided his update it would take them close to 18 months to get everything (parts, instructions, software if needed, pricing, etc) in place so the kit could be sold to Customers.

What you better hope is that when it is released you get one because when things have been done like this before the WAXERS jumped in and ate up the resources meant for the Racers. Ala, the C5 Thick Cheek Rotors that gave more durability on the track but the WAXERS thought they would solve their brake thumping issues and bought the limited supply out.

Bill
Old 08-12-2017, 01:31 AM
Schoony
Heel & Toe

Default Tadge statement that parts are currently available individually to purchase now

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Check the ask Tadge section. He addressed your question a few months ago and clearly said that we will hear when they have it ready and they aren't going to say anymore about it until they can get it ready. Based on the rest of his comments it will be considered something the Customer has to pay for (he talked about getting the price down) and it will be sorted package. Hell they may even be waiting to see what happens with the ZR1 testing before committing to a specific retrofit kit for the 15/16 maybe 17/18 Z06s. However, that is guessing on my part. What isn't guessing is we aren't going to hear for a while. Even if they had made up their minds to release it at the same time he provided his update it would take them close to 18 months to get everything (parts, instructions, software if needed, pricing, etc) in place so the kit could be sold to Customers.

What you better hope is that when it is released you get one because when things have been done like this before the WAXERS jumped in and ate up the resources meant for the Racers. Ala, the C5 Thick Cheek Rotors that gave more durability on the track but the WAXERS thought they would solve their brake thumping issues and bought the limited supply out.

Bill
Thank you Bill,
I appreciate your response! I do understand what you are saying. You might be correct in that there may be a option based upon the C7 ZR1?
I also asked for the part numbers, based upon Tadge's statement in June. In which he stated, "Currently through service parts, they are all available in piece meal"
Since it is possible to order the Supercharger Upgrade Cooling Parts individually. I would like to know the Parts numbers.Then I will fo to the Chevrolet Dealership and ask them what the individual parts would cost for my consideration to purchase them or wait for the Kit.
Can you recommend who has the individual parts numbers?
​​​​​​ Respectfully,
Schoony
The following users liked this post:
Madsen (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Thank you Bill,
I appreciate your response! I do understand what you are saying. You might be correct in that there may be a option based upon the C7 ZR1?
I also asked for the part numbers, based upon Tadge's statement in June. In which he stated, "Currently through service parts, they are all available in piece meal"
Since it is possible to order the Supercharger Upgrade Cooling Parts individually. I would like to know the Parts numbers.Then I will fo to the Chevrolet Dealership and ask them what the individual parts would cost for my consideration to purchase them or wait for the Kit.
Can you recommend who has the individual parts numbers?
​​​​​​ Respectfully,
Schoony
Try calling CultragFactoryParts and talking to Gene Culley to see what he can put together as a package and do the same by calling TrunkMonkey. Gene has always been good at sorting out obscure part numbers and making them available (I broke the latch on the cover for my underhood electrical center and Gene was able to get a part number for just the cover when my local parts guy couldn't find it).

Either one can probably give you a better deal than your local dealership.

Bill
Old 08-13-2017, 07:20 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Any of you guys check out that thread where the Texas owner of an a8 placed an auxiliary engine oil cooler (with fan) on one of the rear ducts?

said his(cruising around town in traffic in a slightly modified Z06) temps wemt fron 250s on the regular to 200... it appeared to bypass the factory engine oil cooler but relieving the stress the engine oil factory cooler was putting the rest of the cooling system through (or the engine coolant being higher because the engine oil cooler is inadequate?) Brought the temps down super low..

he used a thermostat in the cooler line so the engine oil still gets up to the temp..

Makes sense. I wonder why GM didn't go that route instead? Cost I guess?

any thoughts about that one?
z51vett (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:43 PM
shootincyclone
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

subscribing
Old 08-14-2017, 11:27 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Ok. I truly appreciate it if their was a Higher Priority as I live in Phoenix Arizona and it's in the 100° to 115°. Most important is I have been dealing with heat soak for 18 months! In December it will be 2 years

Thank you for Listening & Hearing my Flight with heat soak. I don't drive mine on the track either.
Thanks again!
We get really high temps occasionally here in KS in the summer, and I've never experienced heat soak/decreased engine power on the street even in >100dF. My car is also a '15 A8 Z07 version.

Make sure that your S/C cooling circuit is completely full and that there isn't a large bubble of air at the top of the holding tank. Search on the forum for this issue as if you have the issue you'll experience cavitation and the reduced power scenario you're talking about even with the engine oil and water temps being well below the 'limp mode' threshold.

Good luck.

Bish
BOBSZ06 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:08 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

To answer the OP's question:

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
So no one has answered the question. To duplicate the cooling mods from a 2017 you need to following.

1) Updated hoodliner to clear the big lid supercharger.

2) The big lid supercharger (not just the lid). You will need the whole blower assembly to get the updated intercooler bricks.

3) The 2017 tune. Not sure this can be done... so maybe a custom tune to replicate the factory 2017 tune.

4) If a manual (M7) the secondary radiator.
All of this costs money...specifically, GM's money.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:51 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

An no one has shown that it makes all that much improvement. IE there are still reports of 2017 A8s overheating in just a few laps on warm days. Its unfortunate but seems anyone that still thinks a C7Z with a A8 will ever do real duty on a road course likely also is still waiting on the great pumpkin to arrive. I love my Z as a daily driver. It will never be a track rat despite what GM sold it as.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
An no one has shown that it makes all that much improvement. IE there are still reports of 2017 A8s overheating in just a few laps on warm days. Its unfortunate but seems anyone that still thinks a C7Z with a A8 will ever do real duty on a road course likely also is still waiting on the great pumpkin to arrive. I love my Z as a daily driver. It will never be a track rat despite what GM sold it as.
The A-8s seem to do OK at at the Spring Mountain course, although that probably isn't 10/10ths driving.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-14-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Update Requested Since I own a 2015 ZO6

Old 08-14-2017, 02:07 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
They seem to do it at at the Spring Mountain course, although that probably isn't 10/10ths driving.
Nope, recent reports of attendees at Spring mountain with A8s still overheating in a few laps. Even comments from instructors that the M7 is much better in that regard. The SC lid and relocated intercooler bricks do help, they just do not solve the problem. If it did, the upgrade kit likely would have been made available long ago. GM know better than to try and stiff current Z owners for another 4k only to find out the problem does not go away.

Last edited by jcthorne; 08-14-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:31 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

think the real answer will be in how far the law suit proceeds
Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

^^^ You may be right about that...

Search this Thread