C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Are you going to have the TSB P0106 code done on your 2017 Z06?

Old 08-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default Are you going to have the TSB P0106 code done on your 2017 Z06?

I am bringing my 2017 Z06 to the dealer for its first oil change and have a copy to show the service advisor and technician the TSB P0106 code for limp mode when a 2017 Corvette Z06 hits high speeds at the track . I do not have the code as I will never hit that speed . MY QUESTION IS WOULD YOU HAVE THE TSB PERFORMED ON YOUR 2017 Z06 EVEN IF YOU WILL NEVER REACH THE REDUCED POWER ENGINE WARNING CODE??????Basically would you have it done anyways is what I am trying to say?Thanks Dave

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 08-27-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:30 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Not without understanding the change and what the fix is.

Once we understand what the CHANGE is, then I can decide if I want it on my car. But the "fix" could be a really ugly kluge or hack, and then I don't want it. But since I do not know, I'll play it safe and say "NO" unless I have an actual need for the change.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I've got a 2016 that has no problems when I run I hard at the track, so my only concern is if I decide to go with a 2018 which may still have the problem - at least until they start putting the new calibration in cars coming off the production line.

HOWEVER - concerning your question, apparently some owners are having problems getting their dealer to do the new flash unless they have the code.

So...you may not be able to get it done without having the code.

But...it's still early in the whole process, and maybe what the TSB flash actually does will become better known over the next couple of weeks. And also over the next few weeks (months???) maybe GM will advise dealers better about flashing the new calibration into the car of anybody that wants it - maybe!!

If you aren't tracking the car and getting up to 140+ mph regularly, don't worry about it.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:06 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

First no one on this forum has any idea about what is causing the code and apparently neither does any dealer service department.

The code references a MAP sensor out of range. Since several people have had this replaced with no improvement it would seem the primary definition is too vague to be of any use for most people experiencing the code.

I suspect what is going on is the ECU is running some heuristic equation with various inputs to compute a valid MAP output signal range for that particular set of input values. This makes isolating the real problem difficult.

I suspect all the new tune does is widen or eliminate the fail range for the computation.

It may be kind of similar to a problem I had with the 2008 Z06 emissions system where the "fix" was to widen the acceptable window of whatever it was they were checking. I don't really remember what code was but I do remember the fix was a TSB ECU reflash. I would also note this problem didn't appear for a couple of years on mine and apparently quite a few others.

Given the above I'd certainly get the reflash when convenient to forestall any down the road problems. Currently there is no telling what will trigger the code at some later date as various sensor outputs drift over time. If the MAP sensor fails the fix would be obvious. For whatever else is causing this code not so much.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Not without understanding the change and what the fix is.

Once we understand what the CHANGE is, then I can decide if I want it on my car. But the "fix" could be a really ugly kluge or hack, and then I don't want it. But since I do not know, I'll play it safe and say "NO" unless I have an actual need for the change.
If I can get an HP Tuner stock tune file from a manual tranny car I'll let you know what the difference is. I have a manual file that has been changed but no before file to run a compare.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:35 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
If I can get an HP Tuner stock tune file from a manual tranny car I'll let you know what the difference is. I have a manual file that has been changed but no before file to run a compare.
Maybe... my speculation for months on this one is that the change will be in code, not calibration data, so there may be no change in any of the HPTuners tables.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Melting Slicks

Maybe... my speculation for months on this one is that the change will be in code, not calibration data, so there may be no change in any of the HPTuners tables.
You may certainly be right but I would like to run a compare just to see for sure.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:24 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

I can tell you this... the update has made a significant difference to the way my car is running now... dramatically improved throttle response (tip in) and much more responsiveness in the boost gauge than before the reflash... and all of this seen during street driving. I'll get better data once I'm on track in a week or so.

If I hadn't seen this myself I would be skeptical. Add to this several others have told me they've experienced the same improved throttle response after the update.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Melting Slicks

You are correct. I have both files now and nothing shows up via HP Tuner.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Am I going to have the change done on my '17?
I'm going to try....
Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
First no one on this forum has any idea about what is causing the code and apparently neither does any dealer service department.

The code references a MAP sensor out of range. Since several people have had this replaced with no improvement it would seem the primary definition is too vague to be of any use for most people experiencing the code.

I suspect what is going on is the ECU is running some heuristic equation with various inputs to compute a valid MAP output signal range for that particular set of input values. This makes isolating the real problem difficult.

I suspect all the new tune does is widen or eliminate the fail range for the computation.

It may be kind of similar to a problem I had with the 2008 Z06 emissions system where the "fix" was to widen the acceptable window of whatever it was they were checking. I don't really remember what code was but I do remember the fix was a TSB ECU reflash. I would also note this problem didn't appear for a couple of years on mine and apparently quite a few others.

Given the above I'd certainly get the reflash when convenient to forestall any down the road problems. Currently there is no telling what will trigger the code at some later date as various sensor outputs drift over time. If the MAP sensor fails the fix would be obvious. For whatever else is causing this code not so much.

Bingo, I was told the 17s had their range tightened up last year at Sema by the GM techs who wrote it...
Old 09-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Bingo, I was told the 17s had their range tightened up last year at Sema by the GM techs who wrote it...
What was the point of doing that? I just got reduced engine power on my 17 z06 with a bms filter cruising along the freeway after going up to about 7500' elevation so dont know if that matters. Soooo lame i hate this ****... Need to schedule appointment at dealer.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:34 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
What was the point of doing that? I just got reduced engine power on my 17 z06 with a bms filter cruising along the freeway after going up to about 7500' elevation so dont know if that matters. Soooo lame i hate this ****... Need to schedule appointment at dealer.
I hear ya, best guess of tightening the range of the map sensor is to stop people from putting after market cold air intakes on their car. GM got tired of fixing blown up motors on warranty...

Hey, you are lucky that GM has the fix for you, when I put my CAI on my 17 9 months ago, I had only two choices, either take it off or tune, I chose to tune...
Old 09-10-2017, 11:56 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
I hear ya, best guess of tightening the range of the map sensor is to stop people from putting after market cold air intakes on their car. GM got tired of fixing blown up motors on warranty...

Hey, you are lucky that GM has the fix for you, when I put my CAI on my 17 9 months ago, I had only two choices, either take it off or tune, I chose to tune...
I hear you...GM could also have made a better intake 😜
Old 09-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

My error code was p2227 barometric pressure sensor issue. The dealer said they applied the flash update for the air intake issue.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Yes mine is done already!

Get notified of new replies

To Are you going to have the TSB P0106 code done on your 2017 Z06?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you going to have the TSB P0106 code done on your 2017 Z06?