C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Cosworth Pi Toolsbox with PDR Data

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Default Cosworth Pi Toolsbox with PDR Data

When I was putting together the thread on PDR basic data analysis last week I also reached out to Coswprth to see if their Pro grade analysis software Pi toolbox could work with PDR data. I heard back from them this morning and after a couple e-mails back and forth with the very helpful folks at Cosworth I was able to get a link to a version that does.

http://download.cosworth.com/downloa...port_(Car).zip

Now this is the Lite version and as such it's pretty limited in the ability to compare laps but it does give you a much clearer picture of the data that is embedded in the PDR file data stream. Here are the available data channels.

To say that this tool is "expert friendly" is an understatement as without the online help I'd be clueless on how to show any data. However, I've just started playing with it and here is a plot that shows from top to bottom, throttle, boost pressure indicated (as % of unknown), and engine torque requested.

I'll post up more once I've had some more time to play with it. They gave me a quote for the pro version but it's 1200 EUR (~$1500 USD). That's a bit steep and I'm going to have to decide I really love it before I drop that kind of coin on the pro version. This page shows what the Pro version has over the Lite version:

http://www.cosworth.com/products/rac...tware/toolbox/

Earlier thread here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-with-pdr.html
The following 4 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
BEZ06 (09-04-2017), jbsblownc5 (12-14-2017), NSC5 (09-06-2017), PsYkHoTiK (09-06-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 08:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

When you talk with Cosworth next, ask them why they don't have a library of .map.gpx files, so all we would need to do before going to a new track is download the file for that track to our SD card and start recording as you take the track.

That way we wouldn't need to try to define the finish line when out on the track, and everybody would have exactly the same S/F line so it would be much easier to compare our laps to anybody else's laps when both of us have exactly the same S/F line.

TIA

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-04-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 AM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Could you share where you found the online help please? I'm looking around and haven't found much. Thanks
Old 09-06-2017, 02:26 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Do you have any info on the added channels for 2018 models and how to access the data? Was it wheel speed or suspension position that they added?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rico750sxi
Could you share where you found the online help please? I'm looking around and haven't found much. Thanks
Just clink on help in the menu and you'll see "Help Topics" and "How Do I?" as options. Click on those. There is a getting started section that covers the basics.

Originally Posted by djnice
Do you have any info on the added channels for 2018 models and how to access the data? Was it wheel speed or suspension position that they added?
Check out this thread here - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-overview.html

My car is a 2017 so I don't see the new channels but I assume they would show up if you loaded a PDR file from a 2018.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 AM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Have you looked at tire temps and pressures at all? I made four separate time/distance charts for each tire and it looks like only the data for the LF and RR change at all. Not sure if the car just doesn't capture enough data or I'm doing something wrong. Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by rico750sxi; 09-06-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Poor-sha, thanks very much for posting the link.

I see that Cosworth has a support forum for this which may also prove helpful: http://support.cosworth.com/?forum=422876
Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
When I was putting together the thread on PDR basic data analysis last week I also reached out to Coswprth to see if their Pro grade analysis software Pi toolbox could work with PDR data. I heard back from them this morning and after a couple e-mails back and forth with the very helpful folks at Cosworth I was able to get a link to a version that does.

Now this is the Lite version and as such it's pretty limited in the ability to compare laps but it does give you a much clearer picture of the data that is embedded in the PDR file data stream. Here are the available data channels.

To say that this tool is "expert friendly" is an understatement as without the online help I'd be clueless on how to show any data. However, I've just started playing with it and here is a plot that shows from top to bottom, throttle, boost pressure indicated (as % of unknown), and engine torque requested.

I'll post up more once I've had some more time to play with it. They gave me a quote for the pro version but it's 1200 EUR (~$1500 USD). That's a bit steep and I'm going to have to decide I really love it before I drop that kind of coin on the pro version. This page shows what the Pro version has over the Lite version:

Earlier thread here:

VERY useful. I already use the original version but this has much more. Thanks, Poor-sha!
Old 09-16-2017, 06:12 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by djnice
Apparently I was wrong in my earlier reply and it looks like my 2017 actually has the "new for 2018" data in the PDR. I see all four wheel speed sensors, suspension displacement, and outdoor temp. Below is a screenshot of my suspension travel around VIR. I'm guessing there will be an update to the normal Cosworth toolbox to show this as well.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

they also added Yaw for 2018. I was told at the bash that YAW as well as the other metrics have been there all along but the pdr box was not fast enough/good enough to pick it out off the low speed bus. Can you also see that in your data?

thanks

bill

Last edited by Car54; 09-16-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Car54
they also added Yaw for 2018. I was told at the bash that YAW as well as the other metrics have been there all along but the pdr box was not fast enough/good enough to pick it out off the low speed bus. Can you also see that in your data?

thanks

bill
Yup. I see yaw in the pdr data. Fwiw, the Aim solo DL was capturing wheel speed and yaw off the bus on my 2015.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:36 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Great! ;)

Earlier thread here:
We're looking at the data the cars computer is going to be able to control for much of its faster driving help!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 09-17-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 PM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Apparently I was wrong in my earlier reply and it looks like my 2017 actually has the "new for 2018" data in the PDR. I see all four wheel speed sensors, suspension displacement, and outdoor temp. Below is a screenshot of my suspension travel around VIR. I'm guessing there will be an update to the normal Cosworth toolbox to show this as well.

FYI - my 2017 GS, built in August 2016, does not have the new PDR data. Mine looks like your first screenshot.

I downloaded Pi Toolbox a few weeks ago to find a way to export the PDR data to a file format supported by RaceRender. No luck. Need the expensive pro version for "advanced" export capability.

<Apologies for posting in the Z06 forum. >
Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

What is it that I am missing...I can't open the files on my SD card with the Pi Toolbox?

Never mind. I inserted an outing.

Last edited by djnice; 09-20-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's another PDR fun fact I noticed with the Pi toolbox. The brake meter you see in the PDR is a percentage from 0-100% and appears to simply be a measurement of the brake position sensor where 0% is fully up and 100% means your pedal is on the floor - something we hope to never see.

Since it's a function of pedal position it also will vary depending on how much pad you have left. I just looked at a lap prior to a pad swap and one after. When I'm standing on the brakes at the end of the straight it was ~52% with the old pads and 42% with the new pads. The bottom line is that I'd only use the braking measure to see how you apply the brakes and where on track, not to see how hard you're braking.
The following users liked this post:
grandsport2017 (09-23-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 11:14 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

I was wondering what gave the brake level because it didn't seem to match how hard I thought I was braking.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Mr. Meh
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all... First poster here.. I don't have a Corvette (I did previously, 2012 Grand Sport IOM)..

Though, I do have a 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10 with the PDR that I track. I don't see too terribly much detail diag and break down over on Cam6 about it, so I hope you don't mind me being active here with regard to the system.

I was just digging through the .map.gpx file and thought it was nice they chose a known open format that's readable.. I also concur about the generalized mapping files for known tracks so all our S/F would be comparable.

I like that the mapping file also keeps track of elevation. That'll be interesting to see in October when I'm up at Road America in Wisconsin.

Anyhoo, just dropping a hello in here since I also use the Cosworth setup for my track days (Though, admittedly, I've only had the once since I got the car all broke in). It was down at Autobahn CC in Joliet IL (first time running full course there). My map file for that track at 3.56mi has 1,289 unique points to it and seemingly I can open in a GPS Track Editor to flip through the different views.

Last edited by Mr. Meh; 09-25-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cosworth Pi Toolsbox with PDR Data

Old 09-25-2017, 09:53 AM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Meh
Hey all... First poster here.. I don't have a Corvette (I did previously, 2012 Grand Sport IOM)..

Though, I do have a 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10 with the PDR that I track. I don't see too terribly much detail diag and break down over on Cam6 about it, so I hope you don't mind me being active here with regard to the system.
Looks to me like the Camaro has a higher resolution PDR overlay. I wonder if/when the C7 will get this upgrade.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Mr. Meh
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grandsport2017
Looks to me like the Camaro has a higher resolution PDR overlay. I wonder if/when the C7 will get this upgrade.

Mine comes out at 1280 x 720 @ 30.. Would be nice if they did higher, but that starts becoming taxing on the system to write that much AV data along with integrating all the telemetry in to the MP4.

Here's mine from back at Autobahn. (sorry for the lighting.. it had been raining on/off all day).

Last edited by Mr. Meh; 09-25-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Meh
Mine comes out at 1280 x 720 @ 30.. Would be nice if they did higher, but that starts becoming taxing on the system to write that much AV data along with integrated all the telemetry in to the MP4.

He's mine from back at Autobahn.
Curious about a couple things.
Are you paddle shifting?
Why not use PTM modes?

Quick Reply: Cosworth Pi Toolsbox with PDR Data