C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Heading to the drag strip tomorrow, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Default Heading to the drag strip tomorrow, what to expect?

Heading out to the local drag strip here tomorrow for the Test N Tune event. Weather will be in the mid 80s cooling down to the 70s.

This will be my first time out with my Z06 A8. I would love some advice and tips on "DO" and "DON'T" and what I should be expecting to hit. LOL

My setup:

2015 A8 Z06
Mamo Ported TB
Borla X-Pipe
Halltech Intake
Vitesse TC
91/Torco less then 1/4 tank

Hoosier drag radial 315/30/18 on Race Star 18x10.5

I'm thinking about removing my wicker bill center piece along with my stage 3 aero kit front Canard. What does everybody think? TIA!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:02 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 09-07-2017 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kouasupra (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I would keep the fuel above 1/4. Somewhere around 3/8 to below a half would be safe. I made a few runs just at the 1/4 mark and had a cel for low fuel pressure. Dealer said either fuel pump, regulator or low fuel level. I have made numerous runs since then with more fuel and no cel recurrence. Are you going to Kingdon on Sunday?
Kouasupra (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:52 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
I would keep the fuel above 1/4. Somewhere around 3/8 to below a half would be safe. I made a few runs just at the 1/4 mark and had a cel for low fuel pressure. Dealer said either fuel pump, regulator or low fuel level. I have made numerous runs since then with more fuel and no cel recurrence. Are you going to Kingdon on Sunday?
If he and you are both going to the same track Sunday I'm sure you will have him putting down some numbers!

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 09-07-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Kouasupra (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
If he and you are both going to the same track Sunday I'm sure you will have him putting down some numbers!
Thanks . The annual Vette Magic race which has been run in Sacramento for 15 years moved this year to Kingdon raceway (actually an airstrip). Just pulled the motor of my bracket car last night for a freshenup. Haven't decided whether or not to bring the Z on Sunday. How is your beast doing?
Kouasupra (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Thank you for the heads up Willie. I'll go get more fuel later tonight since I get off work tomorrow at 5pm and heading there afterwards. I'll be at the Test N Tune at Sacramento Raceway tomorrow and come and watch the kingdon event on Sunday. Looking at some pictures of the kingdon drag strip it doesn't look too safe or even.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
LOL. I won't dare line up against Willie. He would completely make a fool out of me since I tend to sleep at the light a lot. Lol
Old 09-07-2017, 08:22 PM
383vett
Race Director

Right, This same guy just went out first round on Mondays Labor day Summit et race with a redlight.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Just getting back into bracket racing after 2 years.

Thanks . The annual Vette Magic race which has been run in Sacramento for 15 years moved this year to Kingdon raceway (actually an airstrip). Just pulled the motor of my bracket car last night for a freshenup. Haven't decided whether or not to bring the Z on Sunday. How is your beast doing?
Bring the Z, Just for the hell of it. I would.

Don't know if you seen my 'BMS' bracket racing post a few days back where I went to my local track running the "BMS" air filter that now only has 'one' class i.e. foot brake, electronics, dragsters, and everything in between.

I was the only real street car entered. First round I cut a perfect .000 light (first with this car/luck as you know) and put an electronic car away, then got the bye run, then in the third round raced the same car again (bought back) that I put out in the first round; well I cut a better light then him by .05 so the race should of been mine "BUT" due to the car's electronics I ran 2 tenths slower which even if I did cut a perfect light would not of helped. Went to the tower, collected some money and went home "only" a little poorer.

Beast Report: The Z06 most likely has not lost a step, will see when it gets colder. Hell there maybe a little something lower than a 10.4 in there running the stock tune and a less restrictive air intake, either the aftermarket BMS filter or my trusty AFE CAI.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 09-14-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
Heading out to the local drag strip here tomorrow for the Test N Tune event. Weather will be in the mid 80s cooling down to the 70s.

This will be my first time out with my Z06 A8. I would love some advice and tips on "DO" and "DON'T" and what I should be expecting to hit. LOL

My setup:

2015 A8 Z06
Mamo Ported TB
Borla X-Pipe
Halltech Intake
Vitesse TC

I'm thinking about removing my wicker bill center piece along with my stage 3 aero kit front Canard. What does everybody think? TIA!

stock tune?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

My setup:

2015 A8 Z06
Mamo Ported TB
Borla X-Pipe
Halltech Intake
Vitesse TC

set up nearly identical to what my 16 model was. Times will depend on DA. I would expect 10.6's to 10.8's in 1000-2000 DA range.

Do do you have your burnout procedure, launch procedure and settings already determined? These will make a large difference.

I wish i could join you guys for the outing. It's just a little too far from texas! Have a great time!

Last edited by ACS55; 09-08-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by ACS55
set up nearly identical to what my 16 model was. Times will depend on DA. I would expect 10.6's to 10.8's in 1000-2000 DA range.

Do do you have your burnout procedure, launch procedure and settings already determined? These will make a large difference.

I wish i could join you guys for the outing. It's just a little too far from texas! Have a great time!
Come on Andy. If you leave Austin now, you can easily make California by Sunday.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:21 AM
BadC7
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Good luck. I bought a 16 Z06 in Tampa on Tuesday night, flew out there same night and made it back to NM last night.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
stock tune?
Stock tune. Still want to keep my warranty.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Would love to hear your burnout procedure and launch procedure. Anything would help since it's going to be my first time out with this car.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Looks like they cancel tonight's TnT. Bummed out, as the evening gets much cooler during the evening TnT events.

Slap them on last night, now I gotta remove them.

Last edited by Kouasupra; 09-08-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Would love to hear your burnout procedure and launch procedure. Anything would help since it's going to be my first time out with this car.
**i am copying this from a previous post several months ago, I hope this helps you, as well as others**

Some of this may be more detail than needed, but maybe it will help someone else too:

(These instructions are based on my experience, some may disagree on some of the details)

1. Make sure your car is fully cooled down, get there an hour early and open your hood and let it cool. Make sure your coolant is 150 +/- before starting your burnout and you should be good.
2. Use 32 oz of torco accelerator or boostane with each 10g of 91/93 unleaded, the car needs higher octane to avoid Knock Retard. You can also mix 50/50 unleaded race gas with 93 unleaded to accomplish the same thing. Try to time it so that your car is around 7/16 or 3/8 of a tank when you arrive to the track.
3. Turn off your Traction Control by hitting the button in the middle of the mode selector on your console, the light on the dash should indiate T/C off. DO NOT turn any other nannies off, especially stabilitrac, this helps your car to keep you from kissing the wall, should one of your tires lose traction part way down the track.
4. Simple burnout procedure:
Pull your shifter wall the way back toward the rear bumper to put the car into manual mode for the burnout, hold the brake moderately and begin your burnout after you have been positioned by the track guy. Run the RPM's up to 5000-5500 and hold it there for 4-5 seconds, then hit your "+ paddle" to shift to 2nd and bring the rpms back up to 5000-5500 rpms for another 4-5 seconds, then let off the gas and allow your car to begin rolling forward until the rear tires chirp. After your burnout put your car back into drive, you will be allowing the car to do the shifting during the actual 1/4 mile pass.
5. If you have drag radials and traction is not a problem, i would run in Track mode. If traction is an issue, i would run it in tour mode.
Again, make sure the t/c is still off, and all other nannies are NOT turned off. I WOULD NOT recommend that you use launch control, this will slow you down.
6. stage the car by illuminating both yellow staging lights and wait for the other car to stage as well.
7. Launch the car from IDLE, DO NOT do a brake stand/power brake, or whatever you call it. Hold the brake down firmly and place your car on the accelerator but do not push down..
8. look directly at the 3rd yellow (the last light before the green), as soon as you see it begin to flash, stomp the accelerator to the floor and let off the brake at the exact same time.
9. Hold on and steer straight, if the car begins to break loose or goes sideways, immediately get out of the accelerator and steer to correct and get straight again.

Assuming you have an A8, you should easily attain your 10 second timeslip.
Out of about 55 passes that I have made in my car so far, I only have 2 that were slower than a 10 second slip, the first two passes, where I "made mistakes" on both runs. LOL

Good luck!!
Kouasupra (09-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Heading to the drag strip tomorrow, what to expect?

Old 09-08-2017, 05:25 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

**i am copying this from a previous post several months ago, I hope this helps you, as well as others**

Some of this may be more detail than needed, but maybe it will help someone else too:

(These instructions are based on my experience, some may disagree on some of the details)

1. Make sure your car is fully cooled down, get there an hour early and open your hood and let it cool. Make sure your coolant is 150 +/- before starting your burnout and you should be good.
2. Use 32 oz of torco accelerator or boostane with each 10g of 91/93 unleaded, the car needs higher octane to avoid Knock Retard. You can also mix 50/50 unleaded race gas with 93 unleaded to accomplish the same thing. Try to time it so that your car is around 7/16 or 3/8 of a tank when you arrive to the track.
3. Turn off your Traction Control by hitting the button in the middle of the mode selector on your console, the light on the dash should indiate T/C off. DO NOT turn any other nannies off, especially stabilitrac, this helps your car to keep you from kissing the wall, should one of your tires lose traction part way down the track.
4. Simple burnout procedure:
Pull your shifter wall the way back toward the rear bumper to put the car into manual mode for the burnout, hold the brake moderately and begin your burnout after you have been positioned by the track guy. Run the RPM's up to 5000-5500 and hold it there for 4-5 seconds, then hit your "+ paddle" to shift to 2nd and bring the rpms back up to 5000-5500 rpms for another 4-5 seconds, then let off the gas and allow your car to begin rolling forward until the rear tires chirp. After your burnout put your car back into drive, you will be allowing the car to do the shifting during the actual 1/4 mile pass.
5. If you have drag radials and traction is not a problem, i would run in Track mode. If traction is an issue, i would run it in tour mode.
Again, make sure the t/c is still off, and all other nannies are NOT turned off. I WOULD NOT recommend that you use launch control, this will slow you down.
6. stage the car by illuminating both yellow staging lights and wait for the other car to stage as well.
7. Launch the car from IDLE, DO NOT do a brake stand/power brake, or whatever you call it. Hold the brake down firmly and place your car on the accelerator but do not push down..
8. look directly at the 3rd yellow (the last light before the green), as soon as you see it begin to flash, stomp the accelerator to the floor and let off the brake at the exact same time.
9. Hold on and steer straight, if the car begins to break loose or goes sideways, immediately get out of the accelerator and steer to correct and get straight again.

Assuming you have an A8, you should easily attain your 10 second timeslip.
Out of about 55 passes that I have made in my car so far, I only have 2 that were slower than a 10 second slip, the first two passes, where I "made mistakes" on both runs. LOL

Good luck!!
At the risk of starting a heated debate, I disagree with about half of the listed steps and here's why:

1. Letting it cool down like that is only gonna be helpful with the very first pass and since the car will run quicker as the temperature outside drops towards the end of Test & Tune (in the case of Sacramento that's 10:00 PM), I consider this a needless step.
2. If the car doesn't get any KR then adding an octane booster really isn't going to help much so I wouldn't go overboard with this.
3. While it's fine to make the pass with just the TC turned off, doing a burnout this way is another story (more on this below).
4. I've found several different things regarding the burnout process. The first is that with my car I've only been able to do a proper burnout by pressing and holding the center button until you see two lights appear on the dash indicating the traction control and active handling have been turned off. If you try doing a burnout with just the traction control off, if the car gets even a little sideways in the burnout box the engine cuts power. Doing a burnout for 8-10 seconds is absolutely not needed because these cars simply don't launch that hard. Heck, even in my 2007 race car that cuts 1.3 60ft times I usually only do one for 6-7 seconds. I let my father who was visiting from Canada last week race my Z06 and despite only doing a very small burnout the car hooked just fine. You also will be fine just leaving it in Drive too during the burnout.
5. I've found there's absolutely no difference when running the car in Tour, Sport or Track mode.
7. I've tried launching it several different ways and getting on the converter does help as I run the fastest ET, best 60ft and best reaction times leaving at around 1800RPM.
Kouasupra (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 PM
BadC7
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

What are the sizes of the tires and wheels? how much did they cost?
Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BadC7
What are the sizes of the tires and wheels? how much did they cost?
18x10.5 for the 2 rear RACE STAR wheels. I picked these up from TonySS who is a vendor on here. I picked these up when RACE STAR was having their sale.

315/30/18 Hoosier drag radial DR2 - copy and paste and google it. I don't remember the price.

Quick Reply: Heading to the drag strip tomorrow, what to expect?