C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The Track report. Hot weather. Gspeed stage 0 tested

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:38 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Eric's photo show where the hot air goes out through the wheel well which is a common setup for all top level performance cars. The fan pack for these two coolers works well in extracting hot air into the wheel well through the screens. Now you can imagine how much more efficiency you can achieve down the road by just swapping to ZR1 bumper that has the openings. I don't see a need but its an option.
As for handling, I didn't notice any difference. Obviously I am not a pro chasing a tenth of a second. Eric can comment on this as well given his lap times were not far off Tommy Milner Z06 lap time at Road Atlanta.
The new intercooler sets flat vs OEM standing so that's better place for the center of gravity. First oil cooler is light and sets in similar orientation as GM secondary radiator (or auto secondary transmission cooler). Bottom is covered similar to OEM so there is no huge air coming out the intercooler to create a lift situation.
I believe having all the these coolers exhausting hot air away from engine bay is a great advantage in helping other components staying cooler (wires, power steering,..........)
Thanks for the post / insight! I assumed (wrongly) that's GSpeed had opened up the underside of the car to get maximum airflow though the HE / oil cooler! Makes sense to use the stock opening (or maybe a little larger) that's used for the aux rad! Thanks for clearing that up!

Once again I wasn't trying to pick holes in the setup just asking the questions.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Thanks for the post / insight! I assumed (wrongly) that's GSpeed had opened up the underside of the car to get maximum airflow though the HE / oil cooler! Makes sense to use the stock opening (or maybe a little larger) that's used for the aux rad! Thanks for clearing that up!

Once again I wasn't trying to pick holes in the setup just asking the questions.
You are asking the same questions I had before installing the kit. Actually I am sure you have a lot more questions like I did so don't hold back ask away. It's educational for everyone. Glad Eric joined the thread since he runs the same kit so you have two guys that can answer these questions

Last edited by 5thGear; 09-21-2017 at 09:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 5thGear:
chuntington101 (09-21-2017), PsYkHoTiK (09-24-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I wish I had a chance to test mine more extensively before the weather cools off... I would like to post more positive data as well but have not had the track time outside of the short time attack last month which really did not show much except that water stays pretty cool/flat. There is an HPDE at Road Atlanta next weekend I am debating but not sure I have the time to attend.

I'll be at Road America in two weeks for the Optima event but the weather up there has historically been all over the place. I think they had snow one year so who knows what to expect.

Last edited by fleming23; 09-21-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:54 PM
ban25
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great report! Any lap times or video?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by ban25
Great report! Any lap times or video?
Usually I run 1:48s and 1:49s.
For this events chicane at turn 16 was tight 90 degrees so it kills momentum before the main straight. Laps were in low 50's. Traffic and waving yellow flags (no passing) were a factor in every session. By the time I warm up my tires, I was catching to the tail end of 40 cars and then start working through it. I will try to load a lap or two video soon.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:27 AM
ban25
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Usually I run 1:48s and 1:49s.
For this events chicane at turn 16 was tight 90 degrees so it kills momentum before the main straight. Laps were in low 50's. Traffic and waving yellow flags (no passing) were a factor in every session. By the time I warm up my tires, I was catching to the tail end of 40 cars and then start working through it. I will try to load a lap or two video soon.
Nice! My best time is 2:08 in a 370Z. I'm currently eyeballing the SpeedDistrict event next month at ACS to get some track time on the Z06!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:03 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by ban25
Nice! My best time is 2:08 in a 370Z. I'm currently eyeballing the SpeedDistrict event next month at ACS to get some track time on the Z06!

Speed district is one of the best track day organization.

I might be there that Sunday.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:46 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

5th gear, thanks for your write up! This kit was born from a need to keep cost down, and not change the aesthetics of the bumper. Id say it works pretty well!

We have 2 more levels of cooling that cut the bumper, but this stage 0 nips at the heels of the stage 1!

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

We have the screens in the wheel wells, but no direct air. The fans do the work with regards to airflow on the oil cooler side, and the auxillary radiator, which is now moved to behind the bumper cover on the drivers side. This same cooler is used for the Auto trans cars, as the transmission cooler. The manual cars have no trans cooler in this area, so we used this as an opportunity to cool the engine. Auto cars will run 15~* hotter. Its slightly under the normal timing temp, and about 15* less than the limp mode temp.

Again, we have other levels of cooling already, but this setup works REALLY well for what it is.

You get the following:
  • Improved radiator
  • improved oil cooling
  • Engineered supercharger reservoir tank
  • larger supercharger heat exchanger due to being laid flat now (Temps similar to OEM)
  • oil cooler removed from cooling system
  • trans cooler with fan for Auto cars
  • Auxillary radiator for Manual cars
Old 09-23-2017, 11:54 PM
5thGear
Drifting

In my opinion, The kit takes the car further away from the thermal limits. I was able to run lower temps in 30 minutes 95F ambient session than 20 mins session in 65F ambient.

Although intercooler performance is the same as OEM (but without cavitation and shutting off the pump), there is a good gain in eliminating the hot air from OEM intercooler that cooks the radiator and engine bay.

I believe there is even more gain to come from Stage 0 by opening small discreet screen under the grill to bring cold air to the first flat oil cooler. Also by punching holes in closed grill plastic above the brake duct and deflect cold air in front of fan operator coolers. I sent this feedback to Gspeed for review.

I believe Stage 0 does move the thermal concerns to the next weak link. Trans , differential, brakes, tire wear,.....

By running longer sessions in the heat, I went through brakes pads faster. Glad I brought extra set of brakes pads to the event.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:04 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Default PI tool box

I have downloaded the PI tool box and spent some time navigating through it ( thanks Poor-sha for help getting started)
Bottomline, intake temps and ambient were not available channels. There were lots of parameters available except these two. My car is 2017 and it was built in Oct 2016. looks like not all 2017 Z06's show these parameters. Maybe there is a software update available to bring up these parameters.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:41 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Can someone help me out with this I only see stage 1 and Stage 2 listed on G speeds website
Old 09-29-2017, 01:06 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Can someone help me out with this I only see stage 1 and Stage 2 listed on G speeds website
It hasn't technically been released yet. I think they are working on getting it out soon, but a few people got it early for testing and such.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
It hasn't technically been released yet. I think they are working on getting it out soon, but a few people got it early for testing and such.
Is it less expensive than 1 or 2 ?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:02 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

How is the additional EWC rad routed? Is there a take off off the top hose or is it in series with the main radiator?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:51 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

My guess would be less since you don't need any of the pieces for the bumper cut outs (since you don't cut the bumper for the stage 0 kit).
Old 09-29-2017, 06:09 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Yes, its cheaper. Great for the weekend warriors that are not turning their C7 to pure racetrack car. The same kit will perform even more if you open up the bumper or down the road install ZR1 bumper once they become available.

How is the additional EWC rad routed? Is there a take off off the top hose or is it in series with the main radiator?
In series.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:38 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

We develop and test as much as we can before we release to the customer. The ones that have the system now, were all aware that they were one of the first.

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Exactly!

All in, roughly 5500$. If you have your own radiator, you can deduct from that. We recommend the radiators we have tested, as well as 5th gear had great results with his Ron davis.

Im assuming you are talking about the auxillary radiator? We run it the same way that GM does for the 15/16 year model cars. If your car was ordered with the manual trans, hot weather kit, its a bit different. There were some changes there in 17 that caught us off guard, but we have that under control now.

Essentially, the hose that fed the oil cooler, and returned to the lower port on the left side of the radiator, is fed through a small heat exchanger before its fed back into the main radiator. Its worth 15* of water temp. Auto cars use this space for the transmission cooler, so they will run hotter.

The system is designed for those that want a system that will keep the car out of limp modes, and out of "engine coolant too hot" modes. It does not work as well as the stage 1 and stage 2 kits, but lets face it, any time you can get more than 50% of the performance for less than 50% of the cost, its worth it!

For the price, the system packs a lot of punch, and that was our goal. Not to mention, the aesthetics of not having to cut the bumper.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Question for the guys at Gspeed...

the black oil cooler that is laid flat, down low, in front of the stock heat exchanger....
is there room to put that there without altering the stock heat exchanger size, or does the stock heat exchanger have to be brought down in size for it to fit?

What is the price tag for only that oil cooler and the necessary brackets that hold it in place?

What fitting are you guys using back at the engine to replace the stock oil cooler block? I already have a fitting with a thermostat in it that moves the plunger to prohibit oil flow and then commence oil flow once a certain temp is reached.

Thank You for your help

Quick Reply: The Track report. Hot weather. Gspeed stage 0 tested