C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Clicking coming from rear lowering bolts on Z07

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:13 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Clicking coming from rear lowering bolts on Z07

My 2015 Z07 has 22K miles on it. After buying it I lowered it in front and rear. The rear required cutting the stock lowering bolts due to the rear springs on the Z07. Over the past 4K miles I have noticed a loud clinking noise when I hit a bump or go around a tight turn and it sounds like its coming from the lowering bolts. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing after cutting their lowering bolts on the Z07? Is there a decent lowering bolt for the rear of this car. The front lowering bolts did not require cutting and are not making the noise.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:16 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

The rubber most likely wore out or split on the bolt. Have you inspected the bolt?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JackTripper
The rubber most likely wore out or split on the bolt. Have you inspected the bolt?
I am about to get her up on the hoist. I think you may be correct regarding the rubber wear. Is there a way to correct this with my existing bolt? I presume I will need to replace which will require realignment?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Phadt makes “articulated” replacement bolts that allow you to drop further and keep the “pad” aligned with the lower control arm. But yes, you will need to re-align the rear after the change.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 AM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
Phadt makes “articulated” replacement bolts that allow you to drop further and keep the “pad” aligned with the lower control arm. But yes, you will need to re-align the rear after the change.
Will these work on the rear of the Z07?

Can one buy only two rather than four?
Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

dcher, they fit but will still not lower much beyond your cut down stockers. Z07’s like ours have significantly stiffer springing than a regular Z06. The spring rate is what limits that travel more than anything else. The adjustable Pfadt bolts will get you about 1/4” more than the cut down stockers and they are (or were when I bought them) sold only in a set of four.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

dcher, they fit but will still not lower much beyond your cut down stockers. Z07’s like ours have significantly stiffer springing than a regular Z06. The spring rate is what limits that travel more than anything else. The adjustable Pfadt bolts will get you about 1/4” more than the cut down stockers and they are (or were when I bought them) sold only in a set of four.
Thanks, I just ordered a set. Will install and then re-align. Thanks
Old 09-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

You need lg drop spindles on a z07, your going to have a pretty rough ride
Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
You need lg drop spindles on a z07, your going to have a pretty rough ride
I agree these would be ideal. However, they run 3K for the set which is more than I want to spend. Given that I have been using cut factory lowering bolts and the ride is quite good, the Pfadt bolts at $200 for the set should be OK with me.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

How big a deal is it to install these? Is it just a matter of hoisting the car and unscrewing the stock bolts and replacing them with the Pfadt ones? How much time will this likely require. With that said I understand the car will also need to be re-aligned.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:10 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dcher
Will these work on the rear of the Z07?

Can one buy only two rather than four?
Hey, if you want to split the cost, I'll buy 2 from you.

I also need 2 for my Z07 rear.

Last edited by cyi1; 09-26-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcher
How big a deal is it to install these? Is it just a matter of hoisting the car and unscrewing the stock bolts and replacing them with the Pfadt ones? How much time will this likely require. With that said I understand the car will also need to be re-aligned.
There is a thread somewhere that describes the process but the “Readers Digest” version is, there is insufficient room to back the bolts all the way out of the spring. So, the spring (and other components attached) needs to be unbolted and “tipped” forward or back (don’t remember which) to remove and replace. That disturbs the camber adjustments, hence the need for re-alignment. Hope that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking coming from rear lowering bolts on Z07

Quick Reply: Clicking coming from rear lowering bolts on Z07