C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Let's talk HeatShields

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Let's talk HeatShields

Had a spirited drive through the hills of the Smokey Mountains this last weekend. The Z06 was a dream with the exception of the center console that got very hot. So much so that my Iphone switched off due to extremely high temps in the center glove compartment.

I am unsure whether the center transmission tunnel heatshield is as effective as the one in the German cars (which appears to be a metal composite as opposed to a wrap).

Any ideas on whether removing the current heat wrap and moving to something European high performance cars have would help with heat management.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 10-19-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Wrapping or ceramic coating the X-pipe would be a great option. Rather than just shielding the tunnel from the heat, it would keep the heat in the exhaust stream pushing it right out the back of the car. I regret not getting my Borla X-pipe ceramic coated before installing it.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

I had a good run last week with my buddy and it started to get really hot in the cabin by the floor boards. He asked me "how much Horsepower do you lose if you just turn on the AC and keep blasting through driving?" I told him I would never do that and I want to have ALL the HP at my disposal and screw the AC. Hahaha!

But yes, if there's a way to keep the heat out, that would be good.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When the throttle is wide open the AC compressor is turned off so as long as you are really trying to use all of the engine's power you aren't limited by turning on the AC. At anything less than wide open how much HP you have depends on how much throttle you use. The AC compressor takes ~12 HP so all you have to do is open the throttle a little more to make up for the added engine drag. Once you have reached wide open there is no loss.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When the throttle is wide open the AC compressor is turned off so as long as you are really trying to use all of the engine's power you aren't limited by turning on the AC. At anything less than wide open how much HP you have depends on how much throttle you use. The AC compressor takes ~12 HP so all you have to do is open the throttle a little more to make up for the added engine drag. Once you have reached wide open there is no loss.

Bill
Went to Spring Mountain at the end of May, it was pretty warm out, we all ran the AC while racing around the track.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Went to Spring Mountain at the end of May, it was pretty warm out, we all ran the AC while racing around the track.
was still warm when I was there beginning of the month - A/C on especially after lunch
Old 10-19-2017, 07:03 PM
ban25
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suspect the phone before the exhaust. When CarPlay is active, the phone is quite busy and charging at the same time. I’ve had my phone shut off for the same reason during only light cruising. I’d recommend taking the phone out of the center console so it has some place to dissipate the heat.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's talk HeatShields

Quick Reply: Let's talk HeatShields